• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathcart

Wait will drop 10 durability if you wait 10 times in a row. The first time you lose 1, the second you lose 2, etc. Through rank 15 I haven't seen any exceptions to that rule. Although strangely I've never seen a red orb, either. Maybe I wait too much :)

XTERC

You've never seen a red orb? I can't believe that, every synth I have done (Level 11 ALC) the orb has been red some time or another. It looks white with a faint red glow to it.

Salaadin

Cathcart said:
Wait will drop 10 durability if you wait 10 times in a row. The first time you lose 1, the second you lose 2, etc. Through rank 15 I haven't seen any exceptions to that rule. Although strangely I've never seen a red orb, either. Maybe I wait too much :)

Wait 10 times in a row? If I wait more than 2 times and dont get a better color, I take a chance with Rapid :lol

DrDogg

I use the Wait command regularly (all pre-patch). I honestly don't expect my synthing methods to change much aside from Standard spam (during leves only) instead of Rapid spam.

Azrael

TurtleSnatcher said:
lmfao

No one I know used the 'wait' command during synthesizing..

Guess we will now :lol

I never used wait in beta because it never seemed to improve conditions, but the orbs change colors more in retail and unstable elements stabilize faster.

asdad123

Is there any way to check if the code for registering the game was used before? I ordered a collectors edition from ebay, but I dont wanna wait for it to come so Im thinking of buying a regular copy at GS and using that code instead and then selling the code that came with the collectors edition.

The thing is, I need to know if the code from the collectors edition that I ordered was used before or not. The box is open, but the guy told me he never used the code.

Unknown Soldier said:
They sure were quick to fix the exploit, but the SP bug remains unaddressed. Typical.
What SP bug? I haven't experienced any bug with SP yet, other than seeing someone use the exploit bug.

asdad123 said:
Is there any way to check if the code for registering the game was used before? I ordered a collectors edition from ebay, but I dont wanna wait for it to come so Im thinking of buying a regular copy at GS and using that code instead and then selling the code that came with the collectors edition.

The thing is, I need to know if the code from the collectors edition that I ordered was used before or not. The box is open, but the guy told me he never used the code.
Have him email you the code - you can enter it without installing the game

Ravidrath

You guys see this, BTW?

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=299d2b4473cda4c94b9f81a279323fd5710d7f4d

When players reach a certain point in the main scenario quests, they will be faced with an important decision—the selection of a Path Companion. We have prepared a simple guide to help.

At the onset of the fifth main scenario quest, players will be presented with the opportunity to select an NPC to join them in the search for truth behind the mysteries surrounding Eorzea. This NPC is known as a Path Companion., and players will be faced with several important decisions when selecting the one just right for them. After deciding on a class and nickname, players must also select the race and gender of their companion. The personality of NPC will vary greatly depending on which combination is chosen. The following is a list of the nine different types of personalities available:

Midland Hyur Male
A fine if somewhat conventional companion, possessing a strong sense of justice, an indefatigable spirit and…so on.

Midland Hyur Female
A gregarious though slightly egocentric young woman. If you can put up with her, she won’t let you down.

Elezen Male
Being a man wholly focused on his mission, this highborn fellow can seem rather curt, if not downright rude.

Elezen Female
A studious sort with exemplary manners. Serious and trustworthy, as you’d expect, but possibly a little…stiff for some tastes. Still, if you loathe over-familiarity, she may be just the companion—sorry, colleague for you.

Lalafell Male
It is said that a hero lies within us all. In the case of this rather sheltered young Lalafell, one might assume that the hero in question does so under his bed, hoping his harpy of a mother won’t think to look for him there. Will you be the one to coax him out?

Lalafell Female
Does your world want for a wealth of wordplay and wit? An abundance of alliteration, assonance aplenty and a soupcon of sibilance to seal the deal? Well, you were warned.

Miqo’te Female
A lady who knows what she likes, and likes a little bit of everything. Don’t be fooled by her coquettish manner and all-too-apparent charms; in her breast beats the fiery heart of a warrior. Not to worry, though, she’ll be gentle—assuming that’s what you like.

Roegadyn Male
When the going gets tough, it’s often nice to have a big, earnest, slightly credulous friend around—and they don’t come much bigger than this straight-talking Roegadyn.

Highland Hyur Male
Women, wine, war and women. Just four—alright, three of the things which tickle the fancy of this brute of a man. He doesn’t so much stand on ceremony as stamp on it until it stops moving.

Sounds like Fellows may be making a return, and for the time being they're limited to story missions?

I think I'm going to pick the Female Lalafell... sounds like a portable Shantotto, and the most fun.

...Who the fuck knows when I'll be high enough rank to do the 5th mission, though.

asdad123

Dreamwriter said:
Have him email you the code - you can enter it without installing the game

He already mailed it out so unfortuneatly thats not an option lol.

It wont be here till tuesday and somehow I finished all my homework for my classes so I need something to do haha.

Also, does the code have anything covering it that you need to scratch off? Similar to PSN cards.

Or if you try adding the code to your account, could you cancel before finishing the process? I would be able to check it when it arrives by trying to adding it to another account and if it works, just cancel it before finishing the add.

Cathcart

Salaadin said:
Wait 10 times in a row? If I wait more than 2 times and dont get a better color, I take a chance with Rapid :lol
Well yeah I wasn't actually suggesting you try it :lol

XTERC said:
You've never seen a red orb? I can't believe that, every synth I have done (Level 11 ALC) the orb has been red some time or another. It looks white with a faint red glow to it.
Oh great. I am kind of colorblind, I have probably been mistaking it for white. I'll have to pay more attention, I was expecting like a darker red. Maybe if I zoom in more it'll be more obvious.

Cathcart said:
Well yeah I wasn't actually suggesting you try it :lol

Oh great. I am kind of colorblind, I have probably been mistaking it for white. I'll have to pay more attention, I was expecting like a darker red. Maybe if I zoom in more it'll be more obvious.

I'm worried about this too, I have never seen a red orb :lol

Salaadin

Its a bright red. If it got any brighter, itd be pink.

Where do you guys craft? Sunny days in Thanalan are rough for crafting. I always pan the camera around so the orb is on the darkest section of land/ground/trees/whatever so the color is always clear to me.

Ronok

Anyone else having a problem with windows 7 and auto hiding the task bar? For some reason it's always out with FFXIV open now. It wasn't like this in the morning even. :-/

Sallokin

Ronok said:
Anyone else having a problem with windows 7 and auto hiding the task bar? For some reason it's always out with FFXIV open now. It wasn't like this in the morning even. :-/

I have that problem in windowed mode. If you move the window around sometimes the taskbar disappears. I've just been hiding the taskbar to compensate.

Ravidrath

I wish they'd explain the difference between the Craftsmanship and Magic Craftsmanship stat, now... all of the crafting seems pretty magical to me, so I'm not sure what the distinction could possibly be.

For good measure, it'd be nice for them to explain what Control does, even though I suspect it's what we all think it is.

Salaadin said:
Where do you guys craft?

Mostly wherever, but my favorite place is in the Market Wards with my Retainer. I picked one of the last ones, and me and my retainer are the only people in there, so there's zero lag.

Londa

Banned
I kind of like the idea of having a lalafell accompany me on my missions. I love the description of him. But my other choices might be the elvaan, or mithra. Though I don't like rudeness of the elvaan, if he is hot looking I'll pick him :lol

jiggle

what rank is the 5th scenario?
i got 15 the other day and i didn't get any new scenario?
all i have are the 3 that i saw from the beta?

Ravidrath

mcdomination said:
So, I gotta know since this has been bugging me...

Is it pronounced "guild leaves" or "guild levies"?

"Guild leaves."

The Japanese is Girudo Li-bu, since they don't have a "V" sound... or, well, just aren't very good at the one they recently tried to invent.

Rentahamster said:
NPC companion sounds pretty sweet. Just dinged 19 yesterday, will try it out soon.
omg how

I have no clue how you all level so fast.

Haha

Then again I'm on my 3rd reroll on a war/magic class so I'm to blame myself.. :lol

careksims

Hehe. Me and Renta will be getting to 20 soon :D just got new armor and can't wait to see the next main quest. I'll go with miqo'te.

Haint

So how long is it taking everyone to gain combat levels in the upper teens and 20's? Green and yellow con mobs seem to give 20-40SP procs and 50-150SP totals solo a vast majority of the time. I'm not sure if this is a bug, lack of balancing, or intentional--perhaps trying to force party play? It would take 5+ hours to gain a single level in the 20's at this rate, which is significantly slower than even early year's BST play in FFXI.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TurtleSnatcher said:
omg how

I have no clue how you all level so fast.

Haha

Then again I'm on my 3rd reroll on a war/magic class so I'm to blame myself.. :lol
4-5 star leves in a group. Use guardian aspect for the leves that have lots of mobs.

Basically, the kill dodos x 10 or kill does x 10 kinda thing. You need coordination and cooperation to make sure that you can do the leves with as many stars as possible without dying.

(225,000 gil rank 26 axe kinda helps too)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
Hehe. Me and Renta will be getting to 20 soon :D just got new armor and can't wait to see the next main quest. I'll go with miqo'te.
Maybe we should try to duo sometime. Our DPS will be amazing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Looks like Character Creation is turned off for Lindblum :(

Reallink said:
So how long is it taking everyone to gain combat levels in the upper teens and 20's? Green and yellow con mobs seem to give 20-40SP procs and 50-150SP totals solo a vast majority of the time. I'm not sure if this is a bug, lack of balancing, or intentional--perhaps trying to force party play? It would take 5+ hours to gain a single level in the 20's at this rate, which is significantly slower than even early year's BST play in FFXI.
I barely ever get points, and when I do, it's usually between 15-50. Another person in my party recently gained rank 14 and 15 during our last excursion while I still haven't dinged 12. The ranking system for combat classes is grade-A bullshit.

Londa

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
I heard the Mithra is hilarious if you're female. Personally, I'll probably go with a Pocket Shantotto.

is she lesbian if you are female? If so, I think I'll do elvaan or lalafell. That would be just too weird if the mithra kept telling me that two ladies can also have fun.

kiryogi

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:
Just got back from Best Buy with an LE. I'll install it later tonight. What seems to be the "GAF server"?
Lindblum

Also super great job today guys. That was awesome teamwork on the crabs leve :D

kiryogi said:
Lindblum

I don't know if you were in the party I did the crab-leve with ( apologies - I am bad at associating forum-names with in-game names still :p ), but I died like 6 times. :D It was fun, though!

Rentahamster said:
4-5 star leves in a group. Use guardian aspect for the leves that have lots of mobs.

Basically, the kill dodos x 10 or kill does x 10 kinda thing. You need coordination and cooperation to make sure that you can do the leves with as many stars as possible without dying.

(225,000 gil rank 26 axe kinda helps too)

I can never build enough skill points with Guardian Aspect in those missions :(

Everything dies so fast even on 5 star stuff half the time... Likewise janky targetting never helps either =[

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sallokin said:
Give it a few. It comes and goes. It was down for a friend of mine yesterday and came back within about 20 mins

Thanks, i'll check it periodically.

kiryogi

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
I don't know if you were in the party I did the crab-leve with ( apologies - I am bad at associating forum-names with in-game names still :p ), but I died like 6 times. :D It was fun, though!

I'm Eithne Rain :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
kiryogi said:
Lindblum

Yeah that was pretty damn sweet. Almost had it too. If we had just died one less time we would have had 3 minutes left to kill that last crab no problem.

Just goes to show how teamwork and communication is very important. We had attacked too early during one engagement which led to a wipe that could have easily been avoided.

Kyoufu

Salaadin said:
Is it a bug or is this how they intend it? Why is it being called a bug?

It is a bug when during a fight you gain something like 200 skill points but at the end receive either 0 or 15 at the most. It doesn't add up. If S-E doesn't fix this soon there will be casualties!

Grampasso

Ok, my char is in Lindblum server, elventhing archer... now I need a new PC to run this game properly, it runs at 5 fpses on my pcs and I don't see any options to adjust video settings (except for the useless ones in the main menu configuration). Is there any other way to tweak down graphics?

Kyoufu said:
It is a bug when during a fight you gain something like 200 skill points but at the end receive either 0 or 15 at the most. It doesn't add up. If S-E doesn't fix this soon there will be casualties!
OH MY GOD THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DON'T EVEN...!*()%*($)#()%()(#$()@&*(%$(

I wasn't aware GAF had anyone on Rabanastre. My friends and I chose Rabanastre, hahah.

@Londa: Something like that. I just heard she makes lots of risque comments. The only one I can remember goes something like this...

:: she holds a door open so your character can enter the room ::
"Traditionally, doesn't the man hold the door open so that the woman can come into the room? But since we're both women, shouldn't we both come at the same time?"

Salaadin

Grampasso said:
Ok, my char is in Lindblum server, elventhing archer... now I need a new PC to run this game properly, it runs at 5 fpses on my pcs and I don't see any options to adjust video settings (except for the useless ones in the main menu configuration). Is there any other way to tweak down graphics?
There is a separate ffxivconfig.exe to adjust graphics settings

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
RocketDarkness said:
:: she holds a door open so your character can enter the room ::
"Traditionally, doesn't the man hold the door open so that the woman can come into the room? But since we're both women, shouldn't we both come at the same time?"
Welp, I am getting a lesbian Mithra.

Suikoguy

Grampasso said:

Did you just make him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom