• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

I want to install and play so bad but my PC is still acting like shit. gonna have to rebuilt her stronger and faster.

Effect

It's not available anymore it seems. Tried to look for it in hopes of finding another server. Went to Cornelia instead. Which seemed more full then Istory but my connection seems better there. The network lag is getting annoying. I think I've gotten things to where I'm not having any graphics lag so it has to be the server connection. Also had to redo the character anyway to make sure I got my Googles. Created my first character before putting in the code.

Has anyone been playing in first person view?

Effect said:
It's not available anymore it seems. Tried to look for it in hopes of finding another server. Went to Cornelia instead. Which seemed more full then Istory but my connection seems better there. The network lag is getting annoying. I think I've gotten things to where I'm not having any graphics lag so it has to be the server connection. Also had to redo the character anyway to make sure I got my Googles. Created my first character before putting in the code.

Shiiiiit. Looks like I need to recreate my guy that I saved. I want that fabulous looking onion helmet.

So, it appears that GAF will be split up on servers. Sad news, indeed.

zlatko

Banned
Effect said:

Has anyone been playing in first person view?

I flop to first person view to take screenshots of awesome looking NPCs sometimes, but that's about it.

I'm on Cornelia myself, and there is a good chunk of server lag. I get it at Ul'dah the worst, because it seems everyone's mission is to circle jerk around the repair NPC and it takes forever for people to pop up there. I'll also occasionally get a quick stutter while running, but it lasts a fraction of a second, so I'll deal with it.

I would like them to figure out a way to make it so NPCs pop in first, then other people who are playing, because right now the game does not do that.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha renta I'm talking about something else but it was just as awesome. I did it 2 star with some of the lower ranked ls crew. One great example of the awesome was Rena was kiting one of the crabs faaar away from the last mob so that we could focus on one crab. It was pretty hilarious.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone else experience the bug with minimizing the game? You'll go to do it, and then it isn't at the bottom on your hotbar or whatever to get back into it, you can still hear the game in the background, but if you do a ctrl alt delete to switch to it, it crashes from some direct x crap.

It's just frustrating because now it happens too often and I just wanted to minimize to read Gaf stuff while I run a straight line into town.

jiggle said:
there isn't one
someone make one!

Ah. I'm in a 22-person one right now, only about 5-6 on at a time, though. I obviously made myself a Linkshell with nobody in it. Ghibli. Well, if somebody starts one up and knows what they're doing, I'm in.

zlatko

Banned
I spent the last 20 minutes rifling through Ul'Dah market wards and found nothing worth buying. Too many people over price crap to stupid numbers and even more seem to think everyone wants to buy puk wings and crow feathers. :/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Here is the explanation for the character creation lockout:

Character creation on certain Worlds have been suspended temporarily due to congestion in certain areas.

The current situation is as follows:

- Character creation will be suspended temporarily when the number of characters in a city-state and its peripheral area or the log-in population on a World exceeds a certain amount.

- The number of Chocobos next to the World name represents the level of congestion.

- Even if there are a low number of Chocobos, the character creation will be suspended temporarily when the population on that World exceeds a certain amount.

- The temporary suspension will be lifted when the congestion eases up.

- Regarding a World with heavy congestion, the suspension will be lifted after a while after congestion eased up.

- Even if the log-in population is small at the time, the suspension will last for an extended period if the server experiences congestion during a certain time frame.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Going to have to decide what to do if it does not clear up...

mileS

I love logging into Ul'dah. The music gets me in the mood every single time. The mood for playing the game for 10 hours straight that is.

FrostuTheNinja said:

The vast majority of GAF are on Lindblum. The SoD LS on Lindblum has now reached 110 people spanning the globe. It doesn't matter what time of day you feel like playing, somebody is online RIGHT NOW you can play with. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hopefully lindblum is joinable before monday, that's when I can start playing 'proper' :(.

What sucks is... I had a character on Lindblum, but I deleted to remake a small... silly thing. Tres sad.

Maxirugi

So I finally got my copy today (never preordering from play.com again!) and Lindblum was unavailable :(

Ended up on Rabanastre, which was showing up with the chocobo equivalent of "very populated" but thankfully I haven't noticed much lag at all even with tons of players running in and around Limsa.

It's nice to have a non-laggy mouse after struggling with it in the beta :p

Mandoric

Banned
Kinitari said:
Hopefully lindblum is joinable before monday, that's when I can start playing 'proper' :(.

What sucks is... I had a character on Lindblum, but I deleted to remake a small... silly thing. Tres sad.

For other people considering rerolling:
The free month comes with free max. character slots. Go on the website, add another slot, create in that, and just remember to deactivate the old one before your month is up.
(This also lets you do something like, say, set up your old one's retainer buying shards at 10k each, and move your money over.)

Fat Dodo is Fat.

fatdodo.jpg

glaurung

EU game over here. Completely unplayable, the servers take an eternity to even log in.

Now it event won't load the graphics in the launcher window.

F*** this bullcrap, I was hoping to play it this weekend.

asdad123

Mandoric said:
For other people considering rerolling:
The free month comes with free max. character slots. Go on the website, add another slot, create in that, and just remember to deactivate the old one before your month is up.
(This also lets you do something like, say, set up your old one's retainer buying shards at 10k each, and move your money over.)

your retainers transfer over different servers?

glaurung

Finally managed to log into the game.

I take three steps - server error, logout.

Screw this, I'm going to my living room consoles.

Grampasso

Uhm... finally got to run the game decently well thanks to the config exe. I made some leves and leveled up my archer a bit... now I'm running short of arrows and I'd like to take part of the archer's guild... how am I supposed to do that? It doesn't seem to be possible in the guild itself @_@ This game pretty much leaves you astray... I may stop playing it for this reason alone.

Kyoufu

Grampasso said:
Uhm... finally got to run the game decently well thanks to the config exe. I made some leves and leveled up my archer a bit... now I'm running short of arrows and I'd like to take part of the archer's guild... how am I supposed to do that? It doesn't seem to be possible in the guild itself @_@ This game pretty much leaves you astray... I may stop playing it for this reason alone.

You can't join your class guild until you complete the first 3 storyline quests (physical level 15 minimum) I think. That is what I had to do.

Grampasso said:

The Centaur's Eye sells arrows. (Center north area of Gridania.) Don't worry about the Archer's Guild for now.

Grampasso

Unknown Soldier said:
The Centaur's Eye sells arrows. (Center north area of Gridania.) Don't worry about the Archer's Guild for now.
Aaaaah thanks both.
BTW my character is Elenion Haradril
Will there be a thread with the GAFfers on the FFXIV servers like the Beta one?

Mandoric

Banned
Guild joining is weird. Uldah gets NPC chatter about it after the rank 10 quest, but I still haven't had an explicit option show up as a THA.

Oh, wow, login queues at 10am. :lol

Zalasta

If there is going to be a login queue, they better start getting rid of people that are just idling instead of logging out to avoid it.

Jinko

Zalasta said:
If there is going to be a login queue, they better start getting rid of people that are just idling instead of logging out to avoid it.

Shuussh you, I AFK to sell my stuff at night :lol

Have been stuck in a queue for 20 mins now though.

Has anyone been able to join a guild yet, I think this is the only way crafting classes get guilld marks, I've had/seen a lot of level 20 local leves but none have had guild marks as a reward.

I would like to know what level we can start to see class specific quests aswell.

Mandoric

Banned
Zalasta said:

That leads to the other excess, as seen in Aion--player bazaars that are then automatically shut off. With how important bazaars are in this game, it'd be even worse, and the usual suspects would fire up their blogs with tales of how S-E is forcing logouts to sell more retainer slots.

This is midnightish Saturday in the lead territory on the 'real' launch weekend, though, so it's quite probably going to be less of an issue in the future.

Zalasta

And in the case of Aion, people were bazaaring for the purpose of staying logged in, rather than actually selling their wares. Like I said, I only have a problem with it when I have to sit in queue. However, don't you think server performance would be a lot better for those of us that are actually playing if they got rid of characters that have been idled for too long?

Effect

FrostuTheNinja said:
Shiiiiit. Looks like I need to recreate my guy that I saved. I want that fabulous looking onion helmet.

The whole item code setup is just stupid. You have to put in the code first before you can get your item. No claiming the item. It's just in your inventory upon creation. The instructions don't make it clear why the code has to be in first either or that it can't be claimed after the fact. Just that you should put it in after putting in your serial number. There is enough room to explain why in a sentence or two on the paper as well. I don't think there is anything on Lodestone either fully explaining the setup either.

All the servers are in Japan correct? Was this the same system for Final Fantasy XI as well? Could this be why the connections are so bad? Giving Istory another shot to see if lag is better there.

Mandoric

Banned
Zalasta said:
And in the case of Aion, people were bazaaring for the purpose of staying logged in, rather than actually selling their wares. Like I said, I only have a problem with it when I have to sit in queue. However, don't you think server performance would be a lot better for those of us that are actually playing if they got rid of characters that have been idled for too long?

Not really. The game's "servers" are clusters with a group of machines handling each particular area, and not many people idle too long in combat areas; the maximum login count could can (relatively) easily be tuned upward if there's a higher-than-expected idle population.

If the problem persists past primetime in release weekend, though, it's time to add more servers and more machines/bandwidth to the existing ones, not break the economy to make people go away.

Effect said:
All the servers are in Japan correct? Was this the same system for Final Fantasy XI as well? Could this be why the connections are so bad?

Yes, yes, no(t really); it's not like there's anything in the game that needs to be exact to within the 3 or 4 frames a round trip under the Pacific eats.

Jinko

Zalasta said:

I agree with you mostly, the whole point of retainers was to stop this kind of congestion in the first place .. EXCEPT SE fucked up and made retainers almost worthless.

Aion users had no excuse, because they had an AH from the get go.

I look forward to the marketward renaming, at least I will have some chance of selling my items then without having to stay logged in.

For anyone wanting to list their character and retainer bazaar online try http://ffxiv.yg.com/bazaar.

If SE can make something like this ingame with retainers we won't even need an AH.

Agate

Neo Member
Hey guys! hope that all of you are enjoying the game!! If anyone from Neogaf is on the Saronia server.. drop me a line! I am not too far in and started in Limsa lumosa. (Character: Fernier Osboro) .

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
hmmm, half/hour login queues and I don't even have my character created yet. :lol
Probably going to give it til monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom