• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I think class quests were at rank 20. And if anyone is lost of what to do next:

• Check your journal
  • Talk to the head of the Adventurer's guild
  • Talk to the head of the guild via linkpearl
  • Check NPC shops

Pretty much just play it like a normal rpg, and you should be ok most of the time.

Effect

Is your personal linkshell the same thing as a group one? Can't seem to find anyone or anything fully explaining it.

Teknoman

Effect said:
Is your personal linkshell the same thing as a group one? Can't seem to find anyone or anything fully explaining it.

Its the thing in the menu that says NPC linkpearl (whenever you see a yellow icon at the top of the screen flashing, you've got a call coming in). They kinda give you a quick heads up about it after the first in town cutscene.

Thats what you're talking about right?

Effect

Teknoman said:
Its the thing in the menu that says NPC linkpearl (whenever you see a yellow icon at the top of the screen flashing, you've got a call coming in). They kinda give you a quick heads up about it after the first in town cutscene.

Thats what you're talking about right?

Sorry wasn't clear enough. There is a npc in Gridania, in the adventurers building (Carline Canopy), that says she'll give you a personal linkshell. This is different from the one you get that lets you talk with the adventure's guild contact. I wasn't sure if this was a linkshell that acts as a guild or something different. The character is off to the side and only found them by accident.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
jsrv said:
I thought QisTopTier had an LS in Rabanastre for gaf or was that something else?

Guess no one wanted to join as I mentioned it ages ago. We got over 80 active members now. Not a single gaffer =(

Teknoman

Effect said:
Sorry wasn't clear enough. There is a npc in Gridania, in the adventurers building (Carline Canopy), that says she'll give you a personal linkshell. This is different from the one you get that lets you talk with the adventure's guild contact. I wasn't sure if this was a linkshell that acts as a guild or something different. The character is off to the side and only found them by accident.

Oh yeah, thats the one that lets you act as a guild of sorts.

careksims

Gah I gotta' choose a class for my companion. I'm a Marauder. What should I choose?! @_@ Someone who can heal/buff me? Ah I dunno... just staring at the screen.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
Gah I gotta' choose a class for my companion. I'm a Marauder. What should I choose?! @_@ Someone who can heal/buff me? Ah I dunno... just staring at the screen.
Did you need to be rank 20 to access that NPC thing, or can I do it at rank 19?

careksims

Yay! You can choose your race for the class companion like choosing your retainer.

They show you a pre-determined number of companions to choose. If you don't like them, just hit choose different class. Pick the same class you wanted again and it'll randomize the companions again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
Yay! You can choose your race for the class companion like choosing your retainer.

They show you a pre-determined number of companions to choose. If you don't like them, just hit choose different class. Pick the same class you wanted again and it'll randomize the companions again.
What class did you go with? I was thinking lancer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Londa said:
I think they should add new servers

They did this early in FFXI days after NA launch and actually set up special NPC's and let people who wanted to, register to help populate it rather than just use new characters.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
I was thinking Conj so she can heal me. Why a lancer? does it matter? Very hard to decide.
I <3 lancer's melee buffs.

Can you only use the NPC when solo or can it be used in a party?

careksims

Well that wasn't epic LOL. YOu just choose your companion, get money, and that's it! Gah I have to go to 25 to see the next part!? Ugh.

B.K.

Pai Pai Master said:
Not unless you're that crazy about the big box.

What about the book that comes with it? Is there any art in it? And what about the security token? Do you get anything special for having it like the Mog Satchel that you got in XI for having one?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
B.K. said:
What about the book that comes with it? Is there any art in it? And what about the security token? Do you get anything special for having it like the Mog Satchel that you got in XI for having one?
Art book is mostly empty pages for you to write notes about your journey. It only has like 10 pages of pictures...not much. I dont think you get anything from Security token, I never tried but didnt see anything mentioned

B.K. said:
Isn't an art book, just a journal for writing your own notes in. (a really fancy hardbound journal). The security token gives you...security :) Nobody can hack your account with just your login and password. It's an extra step when logging in, however.

The in-game hat you get can be useful, as it cuts the death-recovery time in half up through rank 10; it becomes useful again with every job change. However, the goggles that come with the normal edition of the game might be even more useful, as it speeds up the skill points you get, letting you rank your jobs up to level 10 more quickly.

It really sucks that the US doesn't get the cloth map, I would say that would make the CE worth buying.

B.K.

Dreamwriter said:
The security token gives you...security :) Nobody can hack your account with just your login and password.

My account is already scecure! It took me about a month to figure out my Square Enix ID information when I was registering the code with XIII. I wish I'd written it down. I don't remember any of it now. :/

Effect

Teknoman said:
Oh yeah, thats the one that lets you act as a guild of sorts.

Gotcha. Thanks

Well changed serves again. Ugh. Karnak seems to have given me the most stable connection. Not a high population it seems at the moment so that could be why. When I remade my character it only had one bird next to it. NPCs and players load timely when I run to a new area now. That was really bothering me. Combat is faster now as well. As fast as it can be with this game anyway. No long delays like before.

Edit: Just checked Lodestone and it seems Karnak is the latest server added. That's why it was so empty. :)

glaurung

Got around to run some quests now and it's starting to look interesting.

Some questions though:
  1. Quests do not get cleared in the journal. So I've done the first quests for Bearded Rock and now they do not disappear from the journal/log. Will they get removed after some time or what? They have the little icon at the end of the line that I suppose denotes completion, but they still linger in that list. I failed a tutorial quest because I did not have money to buy crafting equipment - can I do that one later on? When I tried to take on more quests for the second area, I was told to exchange the quests from the journal for the new one, what's up with that?
  2. Source of arrows? I know I can buy them for the cheap in the city, but what profession and what gathering skills do get me to make my own?
  3. What to keep, what to sell. Even though the shopping interface is loathsome (especially when coupled with the lag), I cannot understand what items I can safely sell and what not.
  4. Estimating enemy strength. Is there a guide for how to assess enemy strength. Are those little icons in front of their names about that? Green for easy, red for impossible?
  5. Resetting the GUI elements? Is there a console command to reset all the GUI elements to their default locations? I messed around with different resolutions and layouts and now they're all a bit awry.
But I suppose I am learning things and getting better. Rank 8 archer now.

Ravidrath

glaurung said:
questions

1. They stay in your journal. When you do your next set of leves, you'll be able to turn those completed quests in to "stack" your next one, which will increase it's reward.

Each leve has a point value that will show up next to it, and you can stack up to four leves. It's a straight multiplier, so you want to find the leve with the largest gil reward and stack as many points on that one as possible. Item rewards don't change yet, but I think they may in the future: after altering the reward, sometimes the item is also colored yellow to show that it's been modified.

Note that Local Levequests (crafting ones) do get cleared, because there is no stacking system for them, for some reason.

2. To make your own arrows, you'd primarily want Botanist for wood, Carpenter for working the wood, and Weaver for making fletchings. Arrowheads, however, look like they come from just about every other craft, but seemingly mostly Blacksmith and Goldsmith, as they're made from metal or bone.

3. I'd just check ffxiv.yg.com and see which items you can use for one of the above crafts within 10 Ranks or so, and sell everything else. I've yet to sell a normal item through a bazaar and NPC prices are actually fairly decent, so I would sell to NPCs.

4. Yeah, the dots indicate enemy difficulty. Blue is easiest, red is hardest. Goes like this:
Blue -> Green -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red

5. Under "Configuration" in the in-game menu, there is an option "Reset Widgets" at the bottom, which will snap everything back to their default positions.​

glaurung

Ravidrath said:
1. They stay in your journal. When you do your next set of leves, you'll be able to turn those completed quests in to "stack" your next one, which will increase it's reward.

Each leve has a point value that will show up next to it, and you can stack up to four leves. It's a straight multiplier, so you want to find the leve with the largest gil reward and stack as many points on that one as possible. Item rewards don't change yet, but I think they may in the future: after altering the reward, sometimes the item is also colored yellow to show that it's been modified.

Note that Local Levequests (crafting ones) do get cleared, because there is no stacking system for them, for some reason.

2. To make your own arrows, you'd primarily want Botanist for wood, Carpenter for working the wood, and Weaver for making fletchings. Arrowheads, however, look like they come from just about every other craft, but mostly Blacksmith and Goldsmith.

3. I'd just check ffxiv.yg.com and see which items you can use for one of the above crafts within 10 Ranks or so, and sell everything else.

4. Yeah, the dots indicate enemy difficulty. Blue is easiest, red is hardest. Goes like this:
Blue -> Green -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red

5. Under "Configuration" in the in-game menu, there is an option "Reset Widgets" at the bottom, which will snap everything back to their default positions.​
Awesome, thanks.

Four to six tradeskills for arrows sounds like a chore though.

Ravidrath

glaurung said:
Awesome, thanks.

Four to six tradeskills for arrows sounds like a chore though.

Yeah, welcome to crafting in XIV: it's designed so that all the crafts are dependent on one another, likely for when Linkshells and Companies become more important.

Personally, I'd focus on Botany, Carpentry and Weaving, and source the arrowheads from friends.

The Botany should provide pretty much all the mats you need for those two crafts, and likely any additional ones you need for arrowheads can be gotten from drops for friends to craft.

nataku

I'm having a hard time motivating myself to continue crafting as a carpenter. Looking at what we can make, all the decent money makers are things like the harpoon, maple shields, or wands. All of which require a ton of different materials from multiple crafts, which means I'll have to look at a hundred different bazaars or retainers to find even half of what I need.

I guess the biggest motivation killer to me is the fact that I have to deal with the bazaars and market wards at all. Drives me crazy when I look through 4 different wards and don't find what I need.

Nakazato

TurtleSnatcher said:
Everyone in the LS is so high leveled now.. :(

Having a hard time getting groups for leves.. :\

Going to be a painful climb I guess..
Im just starting to. i just got back from a TV shoot. ill hit you up when i get FFXIV updated and my Character done.

Ravidrath

nataku said:
I'm having a hard time motivating myself to continue crafting as a carpenter. Looking at what we can make, all the decent money makers are things like the harpoon, maple shields, or wands. All of which require a ton of different materials from multiple crafts, which means I'll have to look at a hundred different bazaars or retainers to find even half of what I need.

I guess the biggest motivation killer to me is the fact that I have to deal with the bazaars and market wards at all. Drives me crazy when I look through 4 different wards and don't find what I need.

Well, I think you should probably level it through leves and their rewards anyway, and then you'll be set when the market materializes.

On top of that, crafting is seriously the best way to get Physical Level exp.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One question... once I get back online... if you delete a character, is there a way to recover it later on?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Kagari said:
One question... once I get back online... if you delete a character, is there a way to recover it later on?

Don't think so. When I deleted mine it was gone right away. No recovery options. Maybe you can call SE to do it? But their support is braindead, so I doubt it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
asdad123 said:
So is lindblum up for character creation yet?

Nope, i'm thinking it won't be for a while, if the queues are that long now, it probably won't open up until at least tuesday :(

btw, anybody know how to stop FF14 from reoccuring billing?

Effect

Tried a little of the crafting system via some leves and that's as much as I'm going to try. That was just painfully boring. The network connection issues makes the whole process even slower for some reason. I'd rather grind creatures for loot to sell in the end to get money then craft anyway. I just hopes it doesn't end up being a situation where the best armor and weapons or only weapons and armor come from crafting.

Kyoufu

The game still sucks because casters do not get SP. I think I may just retire until they fix it in the next 5 years.

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:
Everyone in the LS is so high leveled now.. :(

Having a hard time getting groups for leves.. :\

Going to be a painful climb I guess..

Hey just say when you want to group, I can switch to Marauder or something.

Zomba13

Effect said:
I just hopes it doesn't end up being a situation where the best armor and weapons or only weapons and armor come from crafting.
Well... at the moment the best stuff is coming from crafting. I mean if you want to pay a somewhat reasonable price and not the extortionate NPC prices for the few things they have.
I mean you don't have to make the stuff yourself though, you can buy it from other crafters or their retainers if you can find it. I've had the most luck and progress with my gear from the stuff I've made myself. Most expensive thing I bought was a rank 19 dodoskin Cesti (87K) for my PGL because no one was selling an upgrade from the weathered hora and I didn't have the mats or the rank to make some mats for any other Cesti.

Teknoman

nataku said:

Things should look up a little once they get the wards organized by type.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, only 8 servers available for making characters now.
I'm tempted to make a character on the brand new server, but then I'd miss out on the gaf server :(

TheFatOne

In order to weave I need shards and gil so I can't do that for a while. Once I can get wind shards and gil regularly I will do some hardcore weaving and alchemy for the guild. In the mean time I'm just going to level up my thaum,mining, and botany.

Zomba13

Regarding shards: YG (yellow gremlin) has a complete(?) monster list teling what crystal/shards they drop. Easy to find a low level mob in your area and grind them for shards. That's what I do when I'm low.

Haint

Kyoufu said:
The game still sucks because casters do not get SP. I think I may just retire until they fix it in the next 5 years.

No classes get SP past the later teens and 20's onward, combat progression in general is completely broke beyond that point. I'm pretty sure they have a 25-50% SP penalty in place for solo play beginning somewhere b/t 10 and 15. No doubt SE likes to describe it as a 25-50% grouping bonus, but it's very obvious SP nose dives somewhere past 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom