• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Reallink said:
No classes get SP past the later teens and 20's onward, combat progression in general is completely broke beyond that point. I'm pretty sure they have a 25-50% SP penalty in place for solo play beginning somewhere b/t 10 and 15. No doubt SE likes to describe it as a 25-50% grouping bonus, but it's very obvious SP nose dives somewhere past 10.

While it does nose dive there is work arounds.

I am level 16 pug, and ever since I hit 11 or 12 I do level 10 leves with 4 star difficulty. This helps you get solid SP per mob often, generally 300+ IF the game is not doing it's bull crap of you defeat a mob and get no SP or like 25 even though it was the same difficulty as the last mob in the leve.

Once I hit 14 I started to solo level 20 leves with 1 star difficulty. This also nets you good SP as well as marks for your class and fat money. I have a feeling though if word of this spreads a nerf will occur. :/

valenti said:
Ur prolly fatigued :lol
Why are you referring to me?

I am replying to a post above

derp derp derp?

Kyoufu said:
The game still sucks because casters do not get SP. I think I may just retire until they fix it in the next 5 years.

Reallink said:
No classes get SP past the later teens and 20's onward, combat progression in general is completely broke beyond that point. I'm pretty sure they have a 25-50% SP penalty in place for solo play beginning somewhere b/t 10 and 15. No doubt SE likes to describe it as a 25-50% grouping bonus, but it's very obvious SP nose dives somewhere past 10.

Torquill

They've already stated craftin is involved in highend gear. I think the idea
is that instead of dropping or providing gear directly, they'll drop or provide some super component. Not sure thi

TurtleSnatcher said:
Everyone in the LS is so high leveled now.. :(

Having a hard time getting groups for leves.. :\

Going to be a painful climb I guess..

Ah, so you're Motts Applesauce. I think all of us have an alt job we want to level, just shout at us in LS chat until you get our attention. I'm sure most of would be willing to turn out for some alt leveling.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kyoufu said:
The game still sucks because casters do not get SP. I think I may just retire until they fix it in the next 5 years.
I get like 200-300 sp a fight and Im a thm... and I dont even heal outside back up healing. WTB rank 20

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
To be honest, I'm surprised at all the congestion, we haven't really sold many copies at work, the demand doesn't seem to really be there.

zlatko

Banned
Can't get into the game. I get to hit Start on the white title screen, had to wait forever to get an error time out code, then I got the start to accept, but then it keeps me on the black loading screen waiting to get to character select, but it just times out.

Thoughts ?

zlatko said:
Can't get into the game. I get to hit Start on the white title screen, had to wait forever to get an error time out code, then I got the start to accept, but then it keeps me on the black loading screen waiting to get to character select, but it just times out.

Thoughts ?

Turn on uPNP on your router and/or open ports?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
zlatko said:

Thoughts ?

Keep trying, I just got in after the same problem.

zlatko

Banned
Kinitari said:
Keep trying, I just got in after the same problem.

Hmm okay I'll keep trying for the next 10 minutes or so before I give up. Seems the days I'm willing to give this game a chance it tells me to go f myself.

I never had this problem once in open beta or since game launched, so I'm guessing it has something to do with Cornelia server being flooded up at the moment. I wish SE would patch in a thing to kick afk people after 10 minutes off the server. It'd help a crap ton.

Edit: Yup it's server congestion. I finally made it to character select and now I'm 196 in line. Ugh...

Update: Came back to see place in line and had time out blue error. Welp w/e not playing this game today if it doesn't want me to.

Kyoufu

TurtleSnatcher said:
Casters don't get SP after killing monsters with their spells?

what the heck? :lol

I've been duo'd with my girlfriend since launch and I am 24k SP ahead of her because she struggles to get more than 50 SP per fight, while I get 150-300 easily.

So broken.

zlatko

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I've been duo'd with my girlfriend since launch and I am 24k SP ahead of her because she struggles to get more than 50 SP per fight, while I get 150-300 easily.

So broken.

Honestly the exp system compared to FFXI's is complete junk. They should change it to if you are X level, fight Y conning mob, then you will always acquire Z amount of exp for everyone in party who fits that criteriea.

*Level 10 pugilist, green puk hatchling, 250 exp.* <- Example

This is also one of the reasons why this game discourages team work past 3 party members, because it rewards whoever does the most damage to a monster the most exp iirc.

Have they even mentioned anything on this issue or the fact that you'll fight say 10 of my example monsters, and probably 3-5 will either not give you exp or will crap out like 40, while the others gave close to the 250.

Haint

zlatko said:
Have they even mentioned anything on this issue or the fact that you'll fight say 10 of my example monsters, and probably 3-5 will either not give you exp or will crap out like 40, while the others gave close to the 250.

My suspicion is that the randomized system is designed to seem reasonable, but is actually markedly slower than an acceptable fixed gains system would be. The trick is obviously to throw off your sense of progression with highs and lows, it's a mind game. I'm not being facetious either, think about how valuable a successful system like that would be to an MMO--one that's actually (say) 30% slower than what the masses (focus groups) would consider reasonable, only they can't tell the difference.

zlatko said:
This is also one of the reasons why this game discourages team work past 3 party members, because it rewards whoever does the most damage to a monster the most exp iirc
Um, no it doesn't. Last night as a Conjurer a couple times I cast an area-affect spell on a couple creatures, they resisted completely, 0 damage done. I got hundreds of SP from that.

What you guys have to realize, is that it's random. Random can seem to have a pattern if you look into it...but you'd be wrong. Over time it evens out - me and my friends were playing a party of 4 last night at a LAN party: archer, gladiator, pugilist, Conjurer (with a splash of Thaum). We played for around 8 hours. Sure, at times it seemed like one person was getting no SP gain for eons, but at the end of the night we compared notes and we had all gained around the same amount.

Torquill

Dreamwriter said:
Um, no it doesn't. Last night as a Conjurer a couple times I cast an area-affect spell on a couple creatures, they resisted completely, 0 damage done. I got hundreds of SP from that.

What you guys have to realize, is that it's random. Random can seem to have a pattern if you look into it...but you'd be wrong. Over time it evens out - me and my friends were playing a party of 4 last night at a LAN party: archer, gladiator, pugilist, Conjurer (with a splash of Thaum). We played for around 8 hours. Sure, at times it seemed like one person was getting no SP gain for eons, but at the end of the night we compared notes and we had all gained around the same amount.
And that was there mistake. People, by and large, don't understand random. The mind wants to find patterns. I've seen pages and pages of text of people trying to explain seemingly chaotic data with wild and complex rules when the simple truth was usually just that it was random.

Not commenting on this particular issue, but just a general observation.

Canti

After beating the rank 15 mission and saving a little I finally purchased the dodo cesta from uldah and did away with my rank 1 pug weapon :lol But now I'm penniless for crafting, I hope the weapon makes the leves I've been doing noticeably easier. I don't know about anyone else but I'm trying to keep my battle/gathering/craft jobs all at similar levels as I progress, which also helps mix up gameplay :)

Kyoufu

Dreamwriter said:
Sure, at times it seemed like one person was getting no SP gain for eons, but at the end of the night we compared notes and we had all gained around the same amount.

I don't know, I mean being 25k SP ahead of someone is a sign that its not even at all.........

Also SP is just straight up bugged where your log will show you gaining skill points but at the end of the fight it doesnt add up in your log nor does it get added up to your total in the status menu. They have to correct this.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I dont see how you are that far ahead of your gf, are her spells landing at all? If the mob isnt that strong cast one nuke, auto attack. If the mob is strong stick to your dot/debuff then nuke away til low then auto, with random heals. I've been keeping up with my entire ls as far as levels go and I dont even play as much as them. *freaking crafting lol*

Pieity is stupidly important as well as upgrading your weapons why? Cause missing a spell gives you no sp for that whole damn cast time... land the spell? Bam 90-150 sp a hit, it not every spell that gives you sp though, so you gotta make sure they can all land.

I need your help:

My 60 year old mother wants to play final fantasy xiv( she loved final fantasy XXI).

I know nothing about pc gaming, and wonder if she will need to upgrade her system:

8GB ram
2.8GHZ i7
Windows 7 OS

Videocard: Nvidia GeForce GTS 240

Will she need to make any changs to run the game well?

Nakazato

outunderthestars said:
I need your help:

My 60 year old mother wants to play final fantasy xiv( she loved final fantasy XXI).

I know nothing about pc gaming, and wonder if she will need to upgrade her system:

8GB ram
2.8GHZ i7
Windows 7 OS

Videocard: Nvidia GeForce GTS 240

Will she need to make any changs to run the game well?
no shes good

TheExodu5

Banned
Good system, though the video card is a lower end gaming card. If the computer's power supply can take it, she could put a GTX 460 in there for $200 or so to get a fairly hefty bump in performance.

Her PC will play it as is, though.

thanks guys! She is debating PC/PS3 thus far. I am visitng her for the first time in a few years, and was blown away by her gaiming setups. She has two 360's a PS3, and a prety pimp PC, all hooked up to three 42" hdtv's. She is currently on her laptop ordering a dsi XL to play the dragon quest games.

She is an RPG machine. :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
outunderthestars said:
thanks guys! She is debating PC/PS3 thus far. I am visitng her for the first time in a few years, and was blown away by her gaiming setups. She has two 360's a PS3, and a prety pimp PC, all hooked up to three 42" hdtv's. She is currently on her laptop ordering a dsi XL to play the dragon quest games.

She is an RPG machine. :)

haha your mom is like my dad xD He's the reason I started gaming, he beat dragon quest 1 zelda 1 and 2 and all those old goodies back when I was a infant :lol

Atrus

Gold Member
Reallink said:
My suspicion is that the randomized system is designed to seem reasonable, but is actually markedly slower than an acceptable fixed gains system would be. The trick is obviously to throw off your sense of progression with highs and lows, it's a mind game. I'm not being facetious either, think about how valuable a successful system like that would be to an MMO--one that's actually (say) 30% slower than what the masses (focus groups) would consider reasonable, only they can't tell the difference.

Having partied in large numbers for an EXP party, the fact that there are people who get nothing out of contributing a fight says that there is something wrong.

I'm sure the bug affects an individual at random, but to get 100-200 XP one fight and then absolutely nothing in the next, despite contributing the same amount says that something is extremely wrong with the system currently implemented.

You might as well party with 2 members of VT and Even mobs (if you can find any that are uncamped) where you get XP every battle.

Teknoman

Atrus said:
Having partied in large numbers for an EXP party, the fact that there are people who get nothing out of contributing a fight says that there is something wrong.

I'm sure the bug affects an individual at random, but to get 100-200 XP one fight and then absolutely nothing in the next, despite contributing the same amount says that something is extremely wrong with the system currently implemented.

You might as well party with 2 members of VT and Even mobs (if you can find any that are uncamped) where you get XP every battle.

Are you talking about exp or sp? If just exp, you should get that doing pretty much anything.

Atrus said:

If you are talking about physical exp, I've never seen what you are talking about. If you are talking about Skill Points for your class, you *never* get SP every battle.

SP gain definitely needs to be a lot less random. Not sure why they don't just make it a set number when whatever mob you're fighting dies.

QisTopTier

Who are you in the guild?

Who is Dental Plan? How is he gaining levels like mad crazy.. He is a THM and I think he is like one of the highest leveled guys in the linkshell.

HappyBivouac said:
SP gain definitely needs to be a lot less random. Not sure why they don't just make it a set number when whatever mob you're fighting dies.
Because they don't want that. You are only supposed to get SP when you use your skills. You aren't going to be using your skill exactly the same amount every fight.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Who is Dental Plan? How is he gaining levels like mad crazy.. He is a THM and I think he is like one of the highest leveled guys in the linkshell.

That would be me.

I wouldn't say that I'm leveling fast, I just play a ton. I know Renta, Jinko, and Kessah are higher than me and I'm sure there are others. Melee jobs seem to have it better for SP gains, but I don't know how their downtime is between fights.

For solo play I think the key to leveling is the choice of mobs. You don't gain SP for healing yourself so I like to avoid things with hard hitting specials. Dodos, moles, and puks are prime targets. Dodos just do status effects and you can completely avoid backflip and breakout by getting behind the puk or running from the mole when it goes underground. Most of my SP gains are probably from spamming spirit dart, since its quick and doesn't cost anything. Banish/Scourge give more per cast but they take forever and cost MP. My general solo routine is to cast Stygian Spikes on myself (used shock spikes from conjurer before I got stygian), hit the mob with bio and slow and then spam spirit dart while healing myself as necessary.

In parties most of your SP is likely to come from healing. Due to the shitty targetting its easiest to center an AE heal on yourself but I seem to get better gains if I target someone else.

Dreamwriter said:
Because they don't want that. You are only supposed to get SP when you use your skills. You aren't going to be using your skill exactly the same amount every fight.

Yes I know that; that doesn't answer the question at all. Let me put it this way: what exactly does it add to the game, aside from balance-related headaches?

Kyoufu

More bitching about SP being broken/bugged:

My gf changed to 11 thaumaturge with only 5k to go to 12, and I changed to Pugilist with 8k to go to 13.

End of our grind-fest, she got 13 while I got 16.........

Yeah, explain that one please.

Kyoufu said:

My gf changed to 11 thaumaturge with only 5k to go to 12, and I changed to Pugilist with 8k to go to 13.

Maybe she didn't hit enemies or cast other useful spells as much as you during the Leves? Maybe she didn't get her god's favor every time? Maybe you didn't play long enough for the randomness to average out? Kinda hard to explain without seeing videos of what she and you both did/didn't do.

Been doing the solo on Cornelia and I've been having a pretty fun time. My pugilist rank is 7 and my base level is 7. Now there are no more battle quests at the Adventurers Guild. Is this when I'm supposed to mess around with other jobs and such?

Edit:

Or, is this when I'm supposed to grind like hell to level 10, so I can join the Pugilist Guild?

HappyBivouac said:
Yes I know that; that doesn't answer the question at all. Let me put it this way: what exactly does it add to the game, aside from balance-related headaches?
Realism and better balancing for actual gameplay - in real life, you don't get better at cooking just because you were in the same room as someone else who cooked, but if you participated, you would gain more cooking skill. And, in the game, someone in the party shouldn't get experience just for standing around doing nothing in it; your method of getting SP equally in all fights regardless of your actions would allow power-levelling that way.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Few general questions:

Any site have a good database of what to set your prices as? Really dunnop how much sets of copper chunks should go for, etc

Once you reach job level 13 more less, whats a good place to grind? dodos dont give much exp and anything else harder than that is WAY too hard, cant seem to find the middle-ground and of course, since I cant take any new leves for a few days Im out of options.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Will anyone be on Lindblum tonight and in the Gridania area? I could still use an invite to the LS.

Character name: Mephesta Nymerian

Kyoufu said:

I've basically giving up on leveling any combat jobs, other than using them for guildleves. I just don't get SP at any reasonable rate.

It's kind of funny, actually, how the tables have turned from XI to XIV. In XI, combat was slow and steady, while crafting and harvesting were lottery-based. Here, it's the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom