• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Dreamwriter said:
Maybe she didn't hit enemies or cast other useful spells as much as you during the Leves? Maybe she didn't get her god's favor every time? Maybe you didn't play long enough for the randomness to average out? Kinda hard to explain without seeing videos of what she and you both did/didn't do.

No Leves sir, just straight up grinding jellyfish for a few hours. She nuked, she healed, she tried everything. One level versus my four is just pathetic!

Matchew

I need Gaf's advice, I want to get into a MMO to see if it is my kind of thing. I like final fantasy so is this a good place to start?

Teknoman

demosthenes said:

Tried to log in just now, and the main page that pops up after username/password has the "Under Maintenance" screen instead of press play.

EDIT: Nevermind, dunno what that was about :lol

Nakazato

SFGamer said:
I need Gaf's advice, I want to get into a MMO to see if it is my kind of thing. I like final fantasy so is this a good place to start?
imo yes just sticki with it since it is the 1st 2 weeks

Teknoman said:
Tried to log in just now, and the main page that pops up after username/password has the "Under Maintenance" screen instead of press play.

EDIT: Nevermind, dunno what that was about :lol

It's a glitch, has happened to me like 3 times.

LaneDS

Kyoufu said:
No Leves sir, just straight up grinding jellyfish for a few hours. She nuked, she healed, she tried everything. One level versus my four is just pathetic!

It's an entirely broken system. No idea how they thought that kind of thing was acceptable.

TheFatOne

Kyoufu said:

I'm already regretting my decision of choosing a THM. For two hours I killed the marmots by Camp Emerald moss and I only gained about 2.5k sp.

Dreamwriter said:
Realism and better balancing for actual gameplay - in real life, you don't get better at cooking just because you were in the same room as someone else who cooked, but if you participated, you would gain more cooking skill. And, in the game, someone in the party shouldn't get experience just for standing around doing nothing in it; your method of getting SP equally in all fights regardless of your actions would allow power-levelling that way.

Fair enough. I think the main problem is that melee jobs are attacking constantly, getting far more opportunities for skill ups, whereas mages deal with cast times and occasionally waiting around (though i usually spam darts if I'm doing nothing else) to be ready if a situation comes up. I just think in the end melees inherently get more opportunities to skill up over the course of a long session and this is something the devs completely overlooked. I forsee them looking into ways to balance this soon enough.

SFGamer said:

The game right now is rough and more or less unfinished. That doesn't mean it isn't fun--it most certainly is. It's just that if you're new to MMOs you have to understand that if you're frustrated with something legitimately wrong with the game, that it will get ironed out. You're playing in an ever-changing game environment, which is a big part of the beauty of getting into an MMO.

Another thing you need to come in with, and I find a lot of people not getting this, is an understanding that if you're having trouble with unfamiliar and unintuitive game mechanics/design, it is a game you're gonna be in for the long haul, so a little ways down the line these things will be second nature to you. Don't get frustrated right away; this kind of game is supposed to take a while to fully get the flow of, and that's exactly what ends up making it such a rewarding experience in the end.

KaYotiX

Banned
Only doing leves till they get the SP thing worked out.... I REALLY hope it's broken and not working as intended. Could be a game killer IMO.

KaYotiX said:
Only doing leves till they get the SP thing worked out.... I REALLY hope it's broken and not working as intended. Could be a game killer IMO.

You have a faulty way of looking at these matters. Please adjust your way of thinking.

It's not just a matter of "broken" or "working as intended." MMOs are constantly changing as the devs try to figure out how to make the experience the best for the players. I doubt it's a bug or anything like that; it's just a balance issue that was overlooked or difficult to predict. We'll see some changes; count on it. These guys aren't going to see melees naturally leveling faster than mages and say "working as intended!" That goes against everything they've stood for.

HappyBivouac said:
Fair enough. I think the main problem is that melee jobs are attacking constantly, getting far more opportunities for skill ups, whereas mages deal with cast times and occasionally waiting around (though i usually spam darts if I'm doing nothing else) to be ready if a situation comes up. I just think in the end melees inherently get more opportunities to skill up over the course of a long session and this is something the devs completely overlooked. I forsee them looking into ways to balance this soon enough.
It's not even that. I was getting outleveled by both the mages and other melees in our party. It's simply a broken system.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Going to be heading off to bed soon so I thought I would check one last time tonight to see if someone on Lindblum would be able to invite me to the Linkshell. I am am in the greater Gridania area.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Sharing a couple screens because I thought they were rather pretty~ Thanalan is continually gorgeous.

cactaur_pushim.jpg

thanalan-sunset.jpg

HappyBivouac said:
Mages have an advantage there, though, as they can do area-of-effect spells, getting SP for each thing they hit in one blow (both monsters and players, though the player has to actually need the healing/buff to get the SP from it)

demonkaze

The problem for me is that I can sometimes go for 5-10 battles gaining no sp despite using a lot of my skills and contributing to alot of the total damage. Hell, sometimes I can do a levee, invoke guardians favour and get nothing at all.

I'm not asking them to increase sp gain or whatever, I just actually want to be rewarded with some sp in battles I do things.

Atrus

Gold Member
Dreamwriter said:
If you are talking about physical exp, I've never seen what you are talking about. If you are talking about Skill Points for your class, you *never* get SP every battle.

I don't understand your statement of 'never' getting Class EXP every battle. If this is your view then it proves to me that something is extremely wrong with the party mechanics.

I get Class XP every battle if I duo and when I mean every I mean every single one. The only time where I don't is if I level off of the FFXI equivalent of Too Weak mobs.

Decay24

Neo Member
I guess somebody forgot to pay the fee for a stand in the Black Oak Ward in Gridania.

Snatched that stand up in a heartbeat.

Ravidrath

Speaking of exp., they need to add two more checkdots.

One would be light gray or something for "Too Weak." Right now the blue dot applies for things that give no exp. and several levels of giving exp... I think you can get exp. up to about 10 levels under your current level.

There needs to be an evil purple spiky thing for things that are really high above you and absolutely certain to kill you. The current red icon applies to things that are like 5 levels above you, all the way to the end of the game. There are lots of red things I can kill and have killed, so something being red doesn't tell me enough.

Both of these would be especially useful for partying, since the checkdot takes your party into account, as well as the enemy's party.

Atrus

Gold Member
On secondary jobs you can pretty much level off of only reds while still gaining a ton of class XP. Between ranks 6-10 I've averaged between 300-400 XP, and during leves I noticed that it seems to cap out at about 500 so far.

Mostly it's because phys rank acts as a handicap to class rank for the most part. You won't get a lot of phys EXP, but a hell of a lot of class XP.

So would people recommend that Thaumaturges solo their levequests so they can get full time with their own monsters so possibly a better chance of getting more SP??

Ravidrath said:

One would be light gray or something for "Too Weak." Right now the blue dot applies for things that give no exp. and several levels of giving exp... I think you can get exp. up to about 10 levels under your current level.

There needs to be an evil purple spiky thing for things that are really high above you and absolutely certain to kill you. The current red icon applies to things that are like 5 levels above you, all the way to the end of the game. There are lots of red things I can kill and have killed, so something being red doesn't tell me enough.

Both of these would be especially useful for partying, since the checkdot takes your party into account, as well as the enemy's party.

Totally fricken agree

Atrus said:
Mostly it's because phys rank acts as a handicap to class rank for the most part. You won't get a lot of phys EXP, but a hell of a lot of class XP.
Unless you are a caster.. Then its random as all hell.

I just leveled a THM from 1-10.. it wasnt terrible or anything but it was slower then my Pugilist and Archer that I also got to 10.

Its mainly because you will have battles like others are saying where you can get normal SP.. like 200-250 per kill, sometimes 3 times in a row.. then suddenly you will get either 0 or 50 at most.. against the same level/type of mobs and sometimes this can also go on for 2-3 straight mob kills too..

It is something they do need to address.. I totally agree.

zlatko

Banned
I'm still not seeing ANY incentive to group up with people for exp. I just DON'T get more exp per leve/per mob with anyone else with. I can solo 4 star difficulties for rank 10 leves, and solo rank 20's on 1 star to get what is DECENT exp. Generally after my 8 battle leves I get maybe half way to 2/3rds of a level complete on pugilist...which is decent.(Who the hell am I kidding that's fucking awful)

I'm still smh over crafting. I read what SE said about their "guide" to it on loadestone and it still doesn't work right. I did a level 5 crafting leve as a level 10 craft and failed all 4 attempts. First 2 attempts I would do standard on white, and wait on any other colors to change it back to white like SE wants you to do. Then I tried for my last 2 attempts to just spam standard. That also did not work. The problem is you lose TOO MUCH durability on success. That's the bottom line. You should not be losing almost as much as you do on a success as a failure which is what I'm getting to be the case. I succeed I lose 14 durability, I fail I lose 17...that's fucking stupid.

At this point I feel the best use of my crafting leves is to just amass all level 1 leves, because at least at this point THOSE are guaranteed and the rest I can just assume I'll get ripped off.

Edit: A few things extra to point out about crafting. It seems the only time the durability on a success is a HUGE dip is on white orbs. So the method of doing standard on white is the most costly it seems right now, and thus means SE fugged up the formula somewhere. It should not be like this.

Also I just now did a 10 level for my 10 craft and I'm succeeding everytime, but the 5 leve for my 10 craft failed. Yup.....

Effect

I'm not fully understanding crafting. Are there actual recipes or do you simply add resources to the window randomly and hope you get a list showing what they can be used to make?

danmaku

Effect said:
I'm not fully understanding crafting. Are there actual recipes or do you simply add resources to the window randomly and hope you get a list showing what they can be used to make?

There are recipes, but you can't see them in game. Check the Lodestone site for a list.

datamage

Ravidrath said:

Indeed. I hope they do some tweaks to the 'con/check' system for the reasons you mentioned. For those of you that are a higher level, are you still able to kill red cons? I'm currently a 14pug/20phy, and I really don't feel much of a difference between fighting a green con, or a red con.

On a side note, I think I can finally make a bone hora, too bad I already need the next upgrade. :lol Damn crafts..

Edit: I'm really enjoying the ability to combine jobs in this game. Got my PUG with Shock Spikes, Stoneskin, and Ferocity. Good stuff.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
I'm still smh over crafting. I read what SE said about their "guide" to it on loadestone and it still doesn't work right. I did a level 5 crafting leve as a level 10 craft and failed all 4 attempts. First 2 attempts I would do standard on white, and wait on any other colors to change it back to white like SE wants you to do. Then I tried for my last 2 attempts to just spam standard. That also did not work. The problem is you lose TOO MUCH durability on success. That's the bottom line. You should not be losing almost as much as you do on a success as a failure which is what I'm getting to be the case. I succeed I lose 14 durability, I fail I lose 17...that's fucking stupid.

At this point I feel the best use of my crafting leves is to just amass all level 1 leves, because at least at this point THOSE are guaranteed and the rest I can just assume I'll get ripped off.

Edit: A few things extra to point out about crafting. It seems the only time the durability on a success is a HUGE dip is on white orbs. So the method of doing standard on white is the most costly it seems right now, and thus means SE fugged up the formula somewhere. It should not be like this.

Also I just now did a 10 level for my 10 craft and I'm succeeding everytime, but the 5 leve for my 10 craft failed. Yup.....

Are you using the best tool for your level? Also, have you invested in any crafting gear? +Control seems to be the popular one for reducing failures.

I see a lot of people complaining about the crafting being bugged but I have had zero issues. It actually seems more consistent and "real" to me now than it did when I was Rapid spamming prior to last weeks update.

Yesterday, I did three rank 10 leves on my 15ARM, two rank 10 leves on my 10GLD, and one rank 5 leve on my 10BSM. Passed all of them with only one broken synth on the BSM. Im using the best tool for my rank for ARM and GLD but still using the starting tool on BSM.
Im also stocked up on a decent amount of +Control and +Craftmanship gear. Those might be the reasons.

Zalasta

Honestly, I wish each mob (that is appropriate to your rank) would give a baseline SP (like the XP gain) + whatever you gain during the combat. It's really hard to feel the motivation to grind when you can get 0 SP for the effort, repeatedly. Especially sucks when you use guardian favor during a leve and get little to no SP when you complete it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
After playing for awhile, here are my observations on SP and crafting.

Yes, SP needs to be tweaked for DoMs. However, SP is akin to weapon skills in FFXI. They can be quite random. However, I don't have a problem with the system overall besides the need for a tweak for DoMs. Everyone who played FFXI should have known from the get go that SP would be akin to weapon skill in FFXI. Want to level up? Do your guildleves ALONE. Also, do the correct star level. Your physical level may be quite high, making mobs weak as shit. Take them up a notch and you'll see your SP roll in. There are level 20+ DoM's on our server. That's what they did.

Grouping for general guildleves can be fun, but they are NOT the way to gather SP. Period. A way to have fun with friends and make money? Sure. However, the Guildleves are the casual way for SP/XP. There will be plenty of leves to do in the future together with friends. Higher level leves (right for your level...not doing leves in a big group 10 levels above you where you can't do shit) can and will be grouped, Faction Leves and others will give us all more than enough chances to group and play with our friends. These will not be leves for leveling. They will be leves for success, big money, guildmarks and equipment.

Also, stop SP grinding. Stop turning the game into a grind fest. Have some fun. Out of leves? Mine, harvest or fish. Be productive. Make some money. Or take out another job and solo around, killing easier mobs for some quick, lower level (non-leve) SP and crystals/shards. You will need them more than you need SP.

Crafting is fun. The system described by the devs in Lodestone works as they said it does. Which is a first. If you're having a problem with crafting after reading it, let me help you.

1) Do not craft without proper assistance. ALWAYS get Guild assistance or use the facilities at camps. Sometimes, the recipe will still call for higher level guild assistance. If it does, you need to STOP, go to your craft's guild and get Master's Assistance. No ifs, ands, or buts.

2) Do not try to craft too high over your level. You will fail. Period. End of discussion. Even with assistance. Pay attention to your Localleve. Does it say "For Armorer Rank 15" or higher? Are you rank 15? No? Then WTF are you doing trying it then bitching about it failing? Grind the lower level ones or grind the easy Ingot > Wire > Rings > Chain loop available for you.

3) Solid white means stable. Yellow means higher chance of break w/ higher chance of quality/progress and solid red means the highest for both. If the crystal is blinking, you're rolling the dice. Want to be sure? Use the wait command and play it safe.

4) Like FFXI, there is always, ALWAYS a base line chance of failure. In FFXI, even if you were a level 100 crafter, you had a 5% chance of failing a level 1 synth. The same will probably hold here.

Londa

Banned
TBH, I do better at crafting when I ignore the latest FAQ about crafting which states to wait when you see the ball turn a color. I now just craft on regular no matter if its red or yellow and I complete most synth, while doing it SE's way I failed most synths and lost a bunch of leves. I'm just going to ignore their FAQ and learn how to do things from trail and error. I do so much better that way.

Kintaro

Londa said:
TBH, I do better at crafting when I ignore the latest FAQ about crafting which states to wait when you see the ball turn a color. I now just craft on regular no matter if its red or yellow and I complete most synth, while doing it SE's way I failed most synths and lost a bunch of leves. I'm just going to ignore their FAQ and learn how to do things from trail and error. I do so much better that way.

To each their own.

zlatko

Banned
Londa said:

Yup spamming standard = more chance of success for myself as well, instead of trying to get a white orb more often.

I need to find higher level crafting tools. I only have some for a few of my craft classes, and I do use crafting gear when I craft. This leads back to....I wish we had an auction house so I could just fuggin buy the tools instead of trying to /sh and search bazaars in the market wards.

Also just on a weird side note this is the most quiet MMO I've ever played. I really need to find a LS on Cornelia. The one I did had like 3 people and they never spoke. :/

I got more story quest today and that made me more hopeful about the game and to tough it out for now. :)

Coldsnap

So are you guys equipping everything before you craft to avoid equipment damage? I've been crafting naked because I have no crafting gear but I even take off my rings. I saw some people crafting in haubys and just got confused...

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
So are you guys equipping everything before you craft to avoid equipment damage? I've been crafting naked because I have no crafting gear but I even take off my rings. I saw some people crafting in haubys and just got confused...

I equip whatever crafting gear I have and just leave whatever else on. I have everything macroed so its easy to change classes/gear at the same time.
Its starting to get rough with MRD though. I need 2 macros, one for abilties and the other for gear.

Kintaro

Coldsnap said:

Additional tip:

Take everything off but crafting gear and tools. If you're leaving accessories on, you're setting yourself up for an expensive repair bill.

Early on in the Beta, mages sucked. I think it was because MP didn't regenerate, and spells didn't do enough damage. Have these problems been fixed?

Coldsnap

Kintaro said:
Additional tip:

Take everything off but crafting gear and tools. If you're leaving accessories on, you're setting yourself up for an expensive repair bill.

Cool. Is there a way to change to equip macro to make it unequip? It's crazy how long changing equipment takes. I have macros to equip my cooking, fishing, and MRD gear but going to MRD to cooking I will need to unequip a lot of stuff.

Kintaro said:

Yes, SP needs to be tweaked for DoMs. However, SP is akin to weapon skills in FFXI. They can be quite random. However, I don't have a problem with the system overall besides the need for a tweak for DoMs. Everyone who played FFXI should have known from the get go that SP would be akin to weapon skill in FFXI. Want to level up? Do your guildleves ALONE. Also, do the correct star level. Your physical level may be quite high, making mobs weak as shit. Take them up a notch and you'll see your SP roll in. There are level 20+ DoM's on our server. That's what they did.

Grouping for general guildleves can be fun, but they are NOT the way to gather SP. Period. A way to have fun with friends and make money? Sure. However, the Guildleves are the casual way for SP/XP. There will be plenty of leves to do in the future together with friends. Higher level leves (right for your level...not doing leves in a big group 10 levels above you where you can't do shit) can and will be grouped, Faction Leves and others will give us all more than enough chances to group and play with our friends. These will not be leves for leveling. They will be leves for success, big money, guildmarks and equipment.

Also, stop SP grinding. Stop turning the game into a grind fest. Have some fun. Out of leves? Mine, harvest or fish. Be productive. Make some money. Or take out another job and solo around, killing easier mobs for some quick, lower level (non-leve) SP and crystals/shards. You will need them more than you need SP.

Crafting is fun. The system described by the devs in Lodestone works as they said it does. Which is a first. If you're having a problem with crafting after reading it, let me help you.

1) Do not craft without proper assistance. ALWAYS get Guild assistance or use the facilities at camps. Sometimes, the recipe will still call for higher level guild assistance. If it does, you need to STOP, go to your craft's guild and get Master's Assistance. No ifs, ands, or buts.

2) Do not try to craft too high over your level. You will fail. Period. End of discussion. Even with assistance. Pay attention to your Localleve. Does it say "For Armorer Rank 15" or higher? Are you rank 15? No? Then WTF are you doing trying it then bitching about it failing? Grind the lower level ones or grind the easy Ingot > Wire > Rings > Chain loop available for you.

3) Solid white means stable. Yellow means higher chance of break w/ higher chance of quality/progress and solid red means the highest for both. If the crystal is blinking, you're rolling the dice. Want to be sure? Use the wait command and play it safe.

4) Like FFXI, there is always, ALWAYS a base line chance of failure. In FFXI, even if you were a level 100 crafter, you had a 5% chance of failing a level 1 synth. The same will probably hold here.

Thank you!!

SE needs to put you on their payroll. Seriously, a lil' bit of info like this goes a LONG way!

Shouta

SP gains definitely need to be reworked. It has to be more consistent and balanced between solo and group play. The whole randomized element is really stupid. Sadly, that's par for the course when it comes to the main dev team. Need to get the current FFXI director switched into XIV.

Jinko

Kintaro said:

Yea like I said in LS chat last night, FF14 is basically built around Skill party v2.0, It's a horrible horrible idea because skill parties in FF11 was one of the worse things looking back for me (granted I was a whitemage most of the time), anyways, how SE think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Last night me Maki and Kessah were grinding (I say grinding I mean trying to) on fat dodos and the sp gains were all over the place.

I was getting about 350-500 during battle but when the battle ended I would recieve a big fat 0, other times I would be getting 400 sp and the other 2 would be getting 0-40.

It's really demoralizing to get 0 at the end of the fight, we also figured that having lower level party members makes the system even worse because its as if they start leeching the sp (whether there is some equalizing shit going on in the battle system is anyones guess)

Needless to say we couldn't figure out how the system worked and it isn't based on damage done or sp gained during battle because as I said above this isn't the case.

Edit:- I forgot to mention at rank 18+ the XP needed starts to become quite a grind, I can't imagine how bad 49-50 is going to feel.

Right now I'm starting to think the grind will be worse than 11.

Zomba13

Shouta said:
SP gains definitely need to be reworked. It has to be more consistent and balanced between solo and group play. The whole randomized element is really stupid. Sadly, that's par for the course when it comes to the main dev team. Need to get the current FFXI director switched into XIV.
Yeah. I think mobs should give a fixed SP amount plus whatever random skill ups you get during the fight. Like a mob of the same rank giving 100SP every time you kill one but you also get the random skill ups so if you didn't get any skill ups a least you get the 100 but if you do get skill ups you've got more.

With crafting I just shove my noob clothes on as hey have craftmanship+ on them. I also put on my asuran armguards.

Kintaro

mcdomination said:
Thank you!!

SE needs to put you on their payroll. Seriously, a lil' bit of info like this goes a LONG way!

You're welcome.

Some other extra crafting tips.

1) Craft for skill. Localleves, for the most part, provide you with two things. a) Big boost in SP/XP for making the items and b) rewards that are handy for you to grind on if you like. For example. In Weaving, you get Moko grass as a reward. Moko Grass can be made into Hempen Yarn. Hempen Yarn is then made into something else. Etc. There are grinding recipes and tiers of them.

Why craft for skill? So you will have the skill required to make that flashy piece of equipment when you need it and the mats become available. People aren't use to the economy yet and SE needs to get to work. If not an AH, they should explan their intentions better. Work on labeling those wards and so on. So, when it does catch on, you can find what you need. Also, forget the flashy piece of equipment. Crafting for skill means you can make that MONEY YO when you craft the parts required to make that flashy piece of equipment.

2) Work on your sub crafts! Are you out of leves for your chosen skill? Well, you have two options. You can travel to the next city over and pick up the leves there or you can work on your subcraft. A lot of crafts in this game work together. Especially my chosen path, Armorer. For a lot of my synths, I need skill in Armorer, Carpentry (for Shields), Leatherworking and Weaving. Throw in some Blacksmithing or Goldsmithing too because Armorer can't make Nuggets that are used for Ingots. See what I'm saying? Work on these. It's free XP too!

3) Don't want to craft? That's fool, but at least gather. You're leaving money and XP on the table if you're just sitting there bitching about SP and shouting for leves. Be productive. Take up a mining pick and grab dat ore. Take up a hatchet and chop dat wood. Fish the fish! People pay good money for these mats and will pay HUGE money for the rare mats in the future. If people weren't using the Fish Glue for weapons, you wouldn't be trying to get SP anyway. Make yourself useful to yourself and others.

zlatko

Banned
So I just got done with the Limsa story quests, because now it wants me to go to Ul'dah for the next part.

I was just curious if anyone got this far? When should I go to Ul'dah? Also. it said I learned Parley, but I don't see it anywhere as a trait,ability or skill for anything. Where is it ?

Kintaro said:

I was rank 12/13 last night doing a rank 15 leve and getting 550 sp per synth.

Just get guild master support and make sure your weapon isn't too far under leveled and it's not that hard.

Finally upgrading my blacksmith hammer showed me how much of an improvement it was damn!

Also finally did a rank 1 and was aiming for as high as possible.

Got a few quality 200+ and ended up w/ an appraisal near 200. I got my regular reward + 6 bronze nuggets. On top of that I got 10 shards instead of the usual 6.

Effect

danmaku said:
There are recipes, but you can't see them in game. Check the Lodestone site for a list.

Thanks. I really need to take a closer look a that site. That is a very bad design though. What are they going to do when he PS3 version comes out I wonder. Do they expect people to print things out or have their computers on and near them when they play? Or perhaps they are putting these out in a guide they want people to buy? Not having the recipes in the game makes no sense.

asdad123

How do I cancel one of the character slots? I had 2 so I could make a character on Lindblum while I played on another server, but now I dont need two.

I cant find anything on the SE website

nevermind: found it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom