• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillty

Banned
Rentahamster said:
What about the over-hundred one star reviews on amazon.co.jp?
alot of the reviews on amazon mirror our complaints

1)lack of content
2)lackluster UI (ex lack of sorting)
3)The use of Kanji (chinese characters) instead of Kana in the Japanese version (this is a pretty big thing going through the reviews)

I think its important to note that 100 reviews is a fraction of a percent of the sales this game did in Japan, its hard to get an objective view of the web when frequently things are gamed into represent something very good or bad. Look at Spore which currently has over 2.5k 1 star reviews on amazon.com for its DRM.

notworksafe

A lot of our complaints are the same ones that have been voiced to Square since the beginning of the Alpha. It should be clear by now that they don't care...at least not enough to get on them quickly.

Atrus said:
After about two weeks now I'm at:

Phys rank 25
Pug 20, Marauder 12, Lancer 10, Archer 11, Thaum 4, Goldsmith 15, Miner 14, Weaving 4, Leather 3 or 4....
So, that's the opinion of the hardest of hardcore player, the type who would play far more than the average gamer. For those like me who play a few hours a week, it's great fun even if not quite complete. Square obviously designed the beginning stuff with people like me in mind, people like you would be happy later.

And do you blame them for releasing it a bit early, what with WoW about to get a HUGE expansion?

notworksafe

Dreamwriter said:
And do you blame them for releasing it a bit early, what with WoW about to get a HUGE expansion?
So why not launch both versions in March, when the WoW xpac has been out for five months and people are bored of it, rather than rush out an unfinished game?

Atrus

Gold Member
Dreamwriter said:
So, that's the opinion of the hardest of hardcore player, the type who would play far more than the average gamer. For those like me who play a few hours a week, it's great fun. Square obviously designed the beginning stuff with people like me in mind, people like you would be happy later.

That's hardly hardcore. The truly hardcore are about 10 ranks higher than I am, which given the incline is a significant gap.

What you're doing on the other hand is excusing a game for your own lack of foresight. If a game with 10 chapters only released 1 of it at launch that is an issue regardless of how slow you yourself are play it.

What is exactly fun to you? Spending an eternity waiting before each mission? It's already long for me, so it will probably take you weeks if not months to simply 'inch' forward in the storyline.

Is it the ability to repeat the same leves? Is it the fact that it will take you weeks if not months to get enough marks to even use them?

How about crafting? It used to allow us to craft several levels ahead of where we were easily, thus allowing for more variety. It's now within a few levels for true successes and technically it makes things easier since we can't take huge risks anymore without certain failure.

With regards to 'releasing' a bit early to compete with WoW, that is an unacceptable excuse for anyone paying money.

FFXI was able to run quite successfully even alongside WoW. Do you think that not releasing any content is going to affect them less than simply launching alongside WoW?

When it comes to which is the better business decision, successful launches supersede competition, especially in a genre that relies heavily on networks of people and communities.

Coldsnap

2rqfv4m.png

Has anyone seen my culinary knife?

adam.chance

Neo Member
I agree with everyone's sentiments about the UI. One of the things I find the most frustrating has been the crafting leves. Why do I have to;
1. Select "Requested Items"
2. Wait for my list of leves to load
3. Select my leve
4. Tell the game this is the leve I want
5. Wait for it to load all the necessary items
6. Tell the game which tool I want to use
7. Select from a list of potential craft items the leve item
8. Tell the game I am sure I want to make the item
9. Confirm, again
10. Then I can start crafting.
for each requested item in the leve? Why can't, after I craft the first requested item of the leve, a dialog box come up asking me if I want to continue with the leve and use the next set of supplied materials? Instead I have to go through all ten steps for all supplied materials. It takes me longer to go through those steps than it does to craft the item.

Wallach

adam.chance said:
I agree with everyone's sentiments about the UI. One of the things I find the most frustrating has been the crafting leves. Why do I have to;
1. Select "Requested Items"
2. Wait for my list of leves to load
3. Select my leve
4. Tell the game this is the leve I want
5. Wait for it to load all the necessary items
6. Tell the game which tool I want to use
7. Select from a list of potential craft items the leve item
8. Tell the game I am sure I want to make the item
9. Confirm, again
10. Then I can start crafting.
for each requested item in the leve? Why can't, after I craft the first requested item of the leve, a dialog box come up asking me if I want to continue with the leve and use the next set of supplied materials? Instead I have to go through all ten steps for all supplied materials. It takes me longer to go through those steps than it does to craft the item.

:lol :lol :lol

Modern game design, how does it work?

Atrus said:
That's hardly hardcore.
90+ ranks in two weeks, yes that's hardcore.

Atrus said:
How about crafting? It used to allow us to craft several levels ahead of where we were easily, thus allowing for more variety. It's now within a few levels for true successes and technically it makes things easier since we can't take huge risks anymore without certain failure.
Wow, you don't like it because it doesn't let you cheat anymore?? I really like the crafting system, and once they fix the Wards it'll be a lot more fun.

Atrus said:
FFXI was able to run quite successfully even alongside WoW. Do you think that not releasing any content is going to affect them less than simply launching alongside WoW?
FFXI was released long before WoW. It's actually one of the reasons WoW got off to such a huge start, because people who only cared about getting to a high level quickly, and people who wanted to solo, now had an outlet. WoW ate up a HUGE chunk of FFXI's market when it came out.

And no, I don't think a lack of high level content will harm FFXIV much at first, since the average player won't be at high levels anytime soon. Only the hardcore.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dreamwriter said:

Are you really counting the first few leves? I've been playing for one day (like 3 hours total) and I have a physical level of 9, 8 carpenter, 7 lancer and 5 carpenter - and I spent most of that time with the starting quest and traveling. Level 20 physical isn't too hardcore in 2 weeks.

TheFatOne

Kinitari said:
Are you really counting the first few leves? I've been playing for one day (like 3 hours total) and I have a physical level of 9, 8 carpenter, 7 lancer and 5 carpenter - and I spent most of that time with the starting quest and traveling. Level 20 physical isn't too hardcore in 2 weeks.

I'm a physical rank 22 and I got it in about a week. Crafting gets you crazy experience. For example I get close to 1k experience every time I craft with my carpenter(r11). I think I'm done with Thaums. I really hate that class.

Kinitari said:
I didn't say anything about physical level. Experience earned during combat is limited by your current rank, so once you reach a certain point, you won't see much experience level gain except through ranking your highest-level class, and doing lots of crafting leves (which give a lot of physical experience, at least at first). So you can't really gauge things by exp if someone's been ranking multiple classes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Was there a problem in FF11 with item/gil duping or client-side hacking? Why is SE so paranoid to make all UI commands and inventory checks server-side?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ugh, I cant find an easy way to just... buy equipment. I am all for a user generated gear scenario, just make the gear accessible.

Kinitari said:
Ugh, I cant find an easy way to just... buy equipment. I am all for a user generated gear scenario, just make the gear accessible.
It'll get a LOT better when the wards get organized by what they sell, both in finding the equipment and in people making it.

Undubbed

Seriously, I'm really thinking of just quitting the game and cancel the free month. It seems that Free To Play games have gotten quite far these days since I last checked.

LOTRO seems to be F2P right now but it seems for some reason I can't access my account, so oh well for now. I've also been playing around with Perfect World and the UI compared to FFXIV makes it look like heaven in comparison. And I'm thinking of trying out Dungeons and Dragons Online, especially after hearing that you're forced to group. Hell, I was even seriously considering to start FFXI all over again, but that would be pure torture. I got my character deleted for the 3rd time(yes, I was hopelessly addicted) and it's been 8 months now. Even so I wouldn't want to come back. Man and I sold quite a few games to Gamestop in order to get this game and that included, but not limited to, FFXIII and Arkham Asylum(WAAAAI!?)!!

I love the armory system but it's just not enough. Everything is boring and the fight seems to be with the game design more than the monsters. I don't know, even though just yesterday I felt I could go on and wait for the miracle patch and knowing that things will eventually be fixed, I'm not really sure if the fixes will actually make the game fun.

Knowing square it'll probably take 2 years to fix everything that's wrong so maybe I'll be back in 2years. Remember how long it took for them to put Auto-Sort in FFXI? Or how long it took them to implement new Avatars after announcing it, only to just chain them to the 2 Hour? Yep... seriously, is there some sort of huge cockblocking bureaucracy at SquareEnix that makes implementing things take forever? Or are the programmers just that unskilled? Or maybe it's the same for every MMO, I don't know...

I loved ffxi, but I'm seeing better MMOs out there that are much, much more intuitive and seems to have less reliance on 3rd party outside sources for their players to have any hope of playing the game.

Also, this is my fault, but the game is killing my CPU and forcing the system to shutdown if I'm not running SpeedFan and have the air conditioning on(it's right next to my computer). I really need to get some Thermal Paste and/or new heat sink ASAP. I haven't played any other game on this computer for while so it might be that the cooling has started to faulter. I should probably try to play Crysis on mid-uppermid and see how it holds up in comparison.

Speaking of that, one of my biggest problem are the technical difficulties. When I'm in town or a highly populated area it seems to go into slide show mode for about 2 seconds and then lets up only to do it again 10 seconds later. Everything but the buffer(it's still choppy on half and 10 times as ugly) is on the lowest setting too. I have a GeForce 9800 GT with an AMD Phenom Quad processor, by the way. I thought my system was the shit when I was able to play Crysis on Medium. Oh well :(

Cmagus

dude most have some lag i have more than the recommended requirements and I even dropped everything to low and the game stutters alot for me as well.

Zomba13

Undubbed said:
Remember how long it took for them to put Auto-Sort in FFXI? Or how long it took them to implement new Avatars after announcing it, only to just chain them to the 2 Hour? Yep... seriously, is there some sort of huge cockblocking bureaucracy at SquareEnix that makes implementing things take forever? Or are the programmers just that unskilled?
Don't remind me. Perhaps the biggest thing that pissed me off in FFXI. Years and years of them saying 'New Avatars will be in the next expansion guys!' Then for years them just being bosses and NPCs and then, when the newest expansion was almost done and the expansion that the avatars were promised to be in was long done they arrive! Odin and Alaxender! One being my favourite FF summon (Big fuckoff holy castle is my dream summon) and the other being quite bad ass. Us summoners were excited! Then we found out you get them from 2 BCNMs or some shit and only after finishing ToAU. Then we find out they are tied to your 2 hour. Fuck SE.
I don't know why I've gone back to a SE MMO after that. They are terrible with listening to the player base and so out of touch with what players want in their games.

Awntawn

TurtleSnatcher said:
Awntawn

Your FF14 hat is on too tight. You make the game sound like its fucking perfect :lol
Wat. 2 seconds on my linkshell and you'll hear me bitching about stupid shit like being unable to send messages while crafting. Like I said, I'm first in line with a list of stuff that needs to be fixed. They don't seem like tough fixes either. That being said, there's still a lot of fun to be had, and what's there at its core shows a lot of promise. Every MMO is rough at launch.

Zeal

Banned
I loved FFXI so of course I tried playing this immediatly. Boy oh boy...at this point, I don't think Square is even able or simply unwilling to fix the game's innumerable problems. This has been nothing short of an utter disaster.

Was Gamespot's 4.0 fair? Based on what I played, yes. WoW Cataclysm and waiting for TERA Online (amazing game) is enough for me right now.

Zeal said:
I loved FFXI so of course I tried playing this immediatly. Boy oh boy...at this point, I don't think Square is even able or simply unwilling to fix the game's innumerable problems. This has been nothing short of an utter disaster.

Was Gamespot's 4.0 fair? Based on what I played, yes. WoW Cataclysm and waiting for TERA Online (amazing game) is enough for me right now.
Where do you get that from? What has Square said or done that leads you to think they are unable to unwilling to fix problems?

Sure, Gamespot's review was mostly accurate, if a tad harsh about the controls, but I wonder how accurate it'll be in a month...

notworksafe

Dreamwriter said:
Where do you get that from? What has Square said or done that leads you to think they are unable to unwilling to fix problems?
These issues have been brought up since the Alpha/Beta stages in their official forums. They've made zero effort to fix anything about these problems in all that time.

Teknoman

Maintenance time...

I want to go ahead and get rid of some of the misc stuff I have, but I want to wait on the market fix.

Oh Cmagus, is ambient occlusion off? Some said it might be a driver issue.

jiggle

notworksafe said:
These issues have been brought up since the Alpha/Beta stages in their official forums. They've made zero effort to fix anything about these problems in all that time.

that's not completely true...
off the top of my head
they improved the speed of selling things to NPC (which gives me hope of faster retainer transfer in the future)
increased anima regen
36hr leve instead of 48hr
put in control+r (though still not as convenient as FFXI's)

but their list of things to fix is fucking loooooooooong
gonna take a while to cross everything off
which really goes back to the point of the game launching too early

Cmagus

Teknoman said:
Maintenance time...

I want to go ahead and get rid of some of the misc stuff I have, but I want to wait on the market fix.

Oh Cmagus, is ambient occlusion off? Some said it might be a driver issue.

Yeah AO is off I'm running it pretty bare almost all is set to low except graphics I put them to standard but even the in game stuff like shadows and what not are off as well.Still it looks good either way it just helps abit once they get more stuff sorted I am sure it will change

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rentahamster said:
Was there a problem in FF11 with item/gil duping or client-side hacking? Why is SE so paranoid to make all UI commands and inventory checks server-side?

Hacking? You better believe it. There were some gil and item thrown in that too years ago. So, yes. FFXI had those problems. You could still hack FFXI.

notworksafe

jiggle said:
that's not completely true...
off the top of my head
they improved the speed of selling things to NPC (which gives me hope of faster retainer transfer in the future)
increased anima regen
36hr leve instead of 48hr
put in control+r (though still not as convenient as FFXI's)

but their list of things to fix is fucking loooooooooong
gonna take a while to cross everything off
which really goes back to the point of the game launching too early
You are misreading. I never said nothing was fixed I said they haven't done anything to fix these current issues. These exact problems (like sp gain issues, problems with ui and inventory, lack of content, etc) were brought up on the forums along with the issues that were fixed.

Square specifically didn't fix these problems while fixing other things. That shows and unwillingness/inability to fix the problems to me.

Kyoufu

We all know the game is pretty terrible right now, but it has potential. The next month or two will be telling on how dedicated the FFXIV team are to realising their potential.

Tanaka said they are revealing their development roadmap for the next 12 months in the next few weeks. I'm sticking with this to see where it goes.

jiggle

notworksafe said:
You are misreading. I never said nothing was fixed I said they haven't done anything to fix these current issues. These exact problems were brought up on the forums along with the issues that were fixed.

Square specifically didn't fix these problems while fixing other things. That shows and unwillingness/inability to fix the problems to me.

but the stuffs i listed were some of the issues we complained about during the betas
they got fixed (or improved)
the ones that didn't carried into the retail

i don't think it means the stuffs that didn't get fixed will never be fixed, at all
do i think they'll fix EVERYTHING?
of course not
but to say they are unwilling/unable to fix any of them is pretty reaching imo

notworksafe said:
As jiggle mentioned, they fixed quite a lot of things when they went from open beta to final. The game got a huge jump in quality and playability. That was only two weeks ago. And Square already told us how they are going to fix crafting and shopping, by rearranging the chaotic Ward retainer system into a system where the various wards are organized by the type of stuff for sale in them. And we didn't know about the SP bug until this last week, how would Square have known to fix it before then?

Saying Square has no desire or ability to fix their problems at this point is just being wrong. People should at least wait until after this maintenance to make such claims :) Me, I'm gonna see how much gets fixed over the next month.

Allard

Its not that they aren't listening, its just they had a shit ton of things they had to prioritize in order to make a 'possible' launch much less a good one. Now that its released, they will actually get around to hopefully working on everyones complaints in earnest. I personally don't see most of them fixed until around the PS3 release, but they also won't just work on ONLY those things and we will also get new content along the way.

To tell the truth, I am having a lot of fun even if the UI and a bunch of other things are stressful at best (helps I have a lot of friends that are FFXI addicts that are willing to look past the launch short comings as big as they are). The things I want to see changed as quickly as possible are mainly the things I assumed (wrongly) they would have in time for the release.

1. Proper Search system. Why the hell didn't they get this up and running out of the gate? They want people to stick around, they need to make it easier to find people they played with in FFXI. Its the most basic of basic social systems in the MMORPG sphere.

2. Mail box system. This goes under an all encompassing problem, you can't invite or trade unless the people are both on, and you are right next to them. This is more then just a little frustrating. At least if we had a mail box system we can send people crafting items when they aren't on. They are probably saving this for the eventual housing system but its still frustrating none the less.

3. Chocobos or other forms of transportation. They make the excuse that because teleportation is around people don't need chocobos right now... with the regeneration rate the way it is, the fact you have to meet people face to face to do anything in this game, the regenaration will be over taken quickly. Another means to get to places fast in this game or at least not a constant walk would be nice in the near future.

After those three a better more intuitive market system would be next on my list but I think I can be fine (for now) with the changes that are supposed to be coming. It will still suck compared to some other MMORPG economies (from a convenience factor) but it might actually be possible to find stuff under the new ward names and tax system. Before it was a cluster of mismanaged NPC bazaar that didn't know where to go, and neither did the buyers. Now sellers can bundle items to sell in specific wards and buyers can go to specific wards to hopefully find 'something' they are interested if not the specific thing they want. Is it the best? Hello no! but it will at least be possible to get an economy going where right now no one knows what to do.

Kyoufu

I'll be sad in the pants if we don't see a patch after this maint. The SP bug and overall shittyness with casters not getting much SP has made me not care about grinding levels until it is fixed (if ever).

Awntawn

notworksafe said:
You are misreading. I never said nothing was fixed I said they haven't done anything to fix these current issues. These exact problems (like sp gain issues, problems with ui and inventory, lack of content, etc) were brought up on the forums along with the issues that were fixed.

I think they're underestimating how much these "little things" really mean to people, and are hesitant to put manpower on it. I mean it took them until retail to have a hardware mouse option when all they needed to do was enable it.

Hopefully the backlash prompts them to get cracking.

Atrus

Gold Member
Dreamwriter said:

Wow, you don't like it because it doesn't let you cheat anymore?? I really like the crafting system, and once they fix the Wards it'll be a lot more fun.

FFXI was released long before WoW. It's actually one of the reasons WoW got off to such a huge start, because people who only cared about getting to a high level quickly, and people who wanted to solo, now had an outlet. WoW ate up a HUGE chunk of FFXI's market when it came out.

And no, I don't think a lack of high level content will harm FFXIV much at first, since the average player won't be at high levels anytime soon. Only the hardcore.

You're absolutely wrong. Your view is different because you've barely touched the game and you have extremely low expectations. Just because you barely play a game is not a sufficient excuse for how bad it is to those that do.

I'm as ardent an FFXI there is and I can certainly bet I'll play this game long before and long after you're a distant memory on it, but to me it is unconscionable to recommend this game to anyone as is. Defending the current faults to me is just as unconscionable.

We could have an excellent game as soon as next week even if someone decides to patch in the missing content in this swiss cheese of a game we got, but until that time and not a second less is there any reason to recommend it.

I'm usually against reviewing MMO's on the basis of the fact that it takes time to understand the game mechanics and develop a long-term picture but what was released in FFXIV would only take what, 4 days maybe? In that respect anyone could go through everything and give it an authentic review.

Awntawn

Atrus said:
I'm usually against reviewing MMO's on the basis of the fact that it takes time to understand the game mechanics and develop a long-term picture but what was released in FFXIV would only take what, 4 days maybe? In that respect anyone could go through everything and give it an authentic review.

o o o

O O O

Haint

Dreamwriter said:
So, that's the opinion of the hardest of hardcore player, the type who would play far more than the average gamer. For those like me who play a few hours a week, it's great fun even if not quite complete. Square obviously designed the beginning stuff with people like me in mind, people like you would be happy later.

Low levels are pretty fun with fast progression and plentiful abilities. Unfortunately, that comes to a screeching halt really fast. I look forward to seeing your opinion once you hit the 20's brick wall where it takes 2 week's worth of leves to gain a single rank or 10-20+ hours of grinding. In general, players like yourself (not you specifically) will never even make it to that point. The overwhelming majority will quit after their 30 day trial, or a month or 2 later at best. Designing a game for you might be a good idea if they intended to make their money off retail sales, but not a subscription base MMO. Your type is better suited to ORPG's where profits and success don't depend on 5+ years of subscriptions and progression can stay super fast all the way to cap. Maybe SE could have developed some kind of ORPG/MMO hybrid that turned the genre on it's head, but they didn't.

Kintaro

Kyoufu said:
I'll be sad in the pants if we don't see a patch after this maint. The SP bug and overall shittyness with casters not getting much SP has made me not care about grinding levels until it is fixed (if ever).

Prepare to be sad in the pants. SE has, usually, always announced in advance if they are doing fixes or adding content. For example, the crafting thing was said in advance of it being patched. This is just a maintenance. Nothing more.

Patches and such as called Version Updates.

Reallink said:
Low levels are pretty fun with fast progression and plentiful abilities. Unfortunately, that comes to a screeching halt really fast. I look forward to seeing your opinion once you hit the 20's brick wall where it takes 2 week's worth of leves to gain a single rank or 10-20+ hours of grinding.

I'll never understand the rush. Seriously, what's the rush? Do your leves, group up and do some five star leves, explore some dungeons, farm from good crafting mats, craft a bit, explore the game, get some faction leves going (man up and do five stars), level up other classes so you can experiment with the different combos of actions and traits, help your LS crafters, search out and take on hard mobs for the fuck of it. You know, shit we used to do to have fun?

I'm willing to bet 99% of the people in this thread haven't explored every single zone or even attempted to. Grind, grind, grind...

Kyoufu

Kintaro said:
Prepare to be sad in the pants. SE has, usually, always announced in advance if they are doing fixes or adding content. For example, the crafting thing was said in advance of it being patched. This is just a maintenance. Nothing more.

Sigh. If the Miracle Patch™ doesn't come out by the end of the month then I fear for this game's chances of surviving.

Allard

Yeah the level 20 brick wall is just hopelessly rediculous. I think there is either a bug going on or they just didn't realize how much more skill and time it takes to level right in that bracket. I see it being fixed though, they once said they wanted it to take 'slightly' less time to hit max rank in FFXIV then FFXI. Right now it takes about as much time to get lvl 30 as it does to get to lvl 75 on FFXI... and that's pre Abyssea. They also need to make skill ups less random. Part of the reason WoW is so highly regarded in the casual sphere is people can get a tangible and even easily calculated understanding of how long it would take to get a level. Im leveling a bunch of stuff waiting for a change, not going to bother with lvl 20+ right now till they fix it, but I have faith they will. Just stupid they hadn't and I understand people leaving due to it.

They said the market patch was coming in a 'couple of weeks' and that was early last week. I see the maintenance being the market patch and little else, they don't need to have a full version update to implement it. They know it needs to fixed... and fixed FAST. If its not this maintenance it 'should' be one next week.

Awntawn

Allard said:
Yeah the level 20 brick wall is just hopelessly rediculous. I think there is either a bug going on or they just didn't realize how much more skill and time it takes to level right in that bracket. I see it being fixed though, they once said they wanted it to take 'slightly' less time to hit max rank in FFXIV then FFXI. Right now it takes about as much time to get lvl 30 as it does to get to lvl 75 on FFXI... and that's pre Abyssea. They also need to make skill ups less random. Part of the reason WoW is so highly regarded in the casual sphere is people can get a tangible and even easily calculated understanding of how long it would take to get a level. Im leveling a bunch of stuff waiting for a change, not going to bother with lvl 20+ right now till they fix it, but I have faith they will. Just stupid they hadn't and I understand people leaving due to it.
I think when they said less time than FFXI, they meant how long it took when it released back in 2002, not just before Abyssea

Kintaro

Allard said:
Right now it takes about as much time to get lvl 30 as it does to get to lvl 75 on FFXI... and that's pre Abyssea.

I don't know when you played FFXI, but this comment right here is grade A bullshit. You know this...how again? Are you level 30? How did you arrive to this conclusion?

They said the market patch was coming in a 'couple of weeks' and that was early last week. I see the maintenance being the market patch and little else, they don't need to have a full version update to implement it. They know it needs to fixed... and fixed FAST. If its not this maintenance it 'should' be one next week.

So, they said "a couple of weeks" last week...so, that's one week. Your math is wonky. Look, the tiny crafting update was a version update. Check the notes. Changes made to the system for SE have always been called version updates.

Awntawn

Kintaro said:
So, they said "a couple of weeks" last week...so, that's one week. Your math is wonky. Look, the tiny crafting update was a version update. Check the notes. Changes made to the system for SE have always been called version updates.
I think you're right, but I hope you're wrong :lol

In my perfect world, Tanaka woke up to 385 messages from Wada referencing all the media backlash within the past day and realized he needed to get his shit together, thus prompting a long maintenance with a patch 3;

Allard

Right now it takes about as much time to get lvl 30 as it does to get to lvl 75 on FFXI... and that's pre Abyssea.

I don't know when you played FFXI, but this comment right here is grade A bullshit. You know this...how again? Are you level 30? How did you arrive to this conclusion?

Quote:

Im level 22 right now and its taking me 3 hours right now to get to lvl 23 because of the wonky skill up system. I played FFXI for years and at minimum I can get from lvl 1-50 in decent groups in less 3 weeks. I over stepped my bounds on lvl 75, but at ToA rates and Level sync, my thoughts still hold to what I said. Its possible to get 2-3 levels even in the mid- high levels in less then 4 hours (lvl 70+ on the other hand... that's a different story. You might get lucky to get 1 level in 2.5 hours outside of a proper merit party)

Furthermore this is the first schedules maitenance in a long time where before it was mainly emergency maitenance. The last time they had one with this much time between when it came out and when it was triggered was back during Open Beta, and it was when they implemented a larger list of fixes or added something new. Secondly I goofed what they actually said

We have continued to receive copious amounts of feedback regarding changes that players would like to see made to the market system. As a result, we are planning a number of revisions and additions to the system, the first of which are scheduled to be implemented in the next one to two weeks.

They actually said 1 to 2 weeks which means we are right in the middle between the implementation.

Edit: I was wrong on the maintenance went back and looked. We had two since the game started. September 23rd (don't remember what this one was...) and September 28th which I think was the crafting change.

Haint

Awntawn said:
I think when they said less time than FFXI, they meant how long it took when it released back in 2002, not just before Abyssea

Level for level, XIV does in fact seem several times slower than XI was at NA launch. In the 20's a DoW can expect to gain around 100-150 SP, on average, soloing Green/Yellow/Oranges with a fair amount of down time. Blue's that award acceptable SP give lower numbers on average and still hit hard enough to produce decent down time. A decent rate would be around 2 or 3k an hour, with TNL's topping 30,000 at like Rank 25. This is the same rate BST's could expect to solo in XI's earliest days, and TNL's were only in the 5000's across this level range IIRC. In hardcore sessions, you could comfortably gain several levels in a single sitting through the late teens and 20's surrounding XI's launch. This was further delayed by a much higher overall difficulty, punishingly strict party system, lost XP on death, excessive LFG's, lots of walking, and subjob/chocobo quests, but mob for mob, XP for XP, XIV sure seems a hell of a lot slower

Kintaro

Eh, regardless...I'm having fun with the game. I'm taking my sweet time, enjoying crafting, leveling, leves and exploring. Improvements will come, but I don't think this game will die. If many, many other MMOs who got off to a terribly rocky start and continue on to this day, so can FFXIV.

I'm honestly not that worried. Will it be gigantic? No. It was never, ever going to be. However, Square Enix isn't going to go out of business any time soon and FFXI still makes more than enough money to cover both MMOs. Damn game has probably funded this entire generation to this point. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom