• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

"Less time than FFXI" tells me nothing because FFXI's leveling pace depended on factors such as if you were a bard, healer, tank or melee.

Bards hit 75 in less than 2 weeks while Dragoons took months and months.

A patch?!

If I were a betting man who knows Squenix, the only thing this patch does is break Windower XIV. Everything else remains the same. Come on, Squenix! Surprise me for once. Leave Windower XIV alone and start fixing shit! :lol

An interesting editorial on Zam.com:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=23586

edit:

Okay, so Windower XIV still works. Maintenance is still in progress so we'll see in a few hours what's changed with this patch.

Awntawn said:
There's a patch up ;O Did I miss something, when did FFXIV's patcher turn competent? :lol 700kb/sec D;

Well I was going to go to bed (4 in the AM) but if there is a patch...

So maybe someone can help me out. I just started trying to craft, I have the goldsmith hammer, can go into the crafting menu, have the fire shards and copper nuggets to make some copper ingots, but it wont let me add the 8 fire shard to the crafting area, the 5 copper added just fine. Anyone have any advice on what I may be doing wrong?

danmaku

Put the 5 coppers in the crafting area and go on, the fire shards will be automatically selected after you choose the recipe.

On the same subject, if it's the first time you try this ability, don't do it with your own materials. There's a good chance you'll waste them. Do a crafting leave instead.

danmaku said:
Put the 5 coppers in the crafting area, the fire shards will be automatically selected after you choose the recipe.

What if I have no recipe and just looked it up online? :D Do I need to acquire it in game?

danmaku

Just select the materials and click on "main hand", if the recipe exists you'll be able to select it from a menu that'll pop up.

Awntawn

Unknown Soldier said:
The patch was only a few megabytes. If the patch was 13GB, then maybe yeah, Miracle Confirmed, but it was 13MB. :lol
Unless it contains new models and assets, a patch isn't going to be that big. You can change plenty of features with 13MB ;o

Kyoufu

Miracle Patch™ for me would be just fixing the SP bug and allowing casters to gain SP like everyone else. They can fit that in 13MB...right?!

Awntawn

Kyoufu said:
Miracle Patch™ for me would be just fixing the SP bug and allowing casters to gain SP like everyone else. They can fit that in 13MB...right?!
I think they could fix that without a patch i think; a lot of these things are server-side adjustments. The fact that there is even a patch must mean something :D

Kyoufu

Awntawn said:
I think they could fix that without a patch i think; a lot of these things are server-side adjustments. The fact that there is even a patch must mean something :D

Yeah this patch means the doors in Ul'dah will open properly now. :lol

Ronok said:
At last!!! :D

I hate those doors to the Ul'dah Adventurers Guild. I found it hilarious that one night where we both tried to go through the same door and for some reason it let me in but you were stuck outside. :lol

edit: Servers are up!

Jinko

Just checked the marketwards, haven't been renamed as far as I can see.

There was a small patch but fuck knows what it was for, cause as usual SE don't talk to us :lol

Rocwell

I think there are some pathing issues with the mobs in this game. I've been soloing with archer and the fact that I want to back up and shoot makes me see all kinds of weird behavior. Sometimes mobs will half try to run away and just stop about 10 "yalms" away letting me shoot them in the back for free crits, the really annoying thing though is that often they will suddenly regen huge chunks of health for no apparent reason. It makes easy fights drag on a lot longer than they should which is doubly annoying when you have to worry about your ammo.

I've been enjoying the crafting system so far compared to ffxi, it's a lot easier to acquire materials yourself for your crafting and the output for items from raw materials seems a lot greater on average. The lack of an auction house or searchable bazaar system forces you to level every craft which is a bummer though.

I have a pretty high tolerance for BS so I think I will stick around for a few months and see how the first few patches go.

:Edit:

Regarding doors in Ul'dah: After I finished crafting at the alchemist guild I was going to go talk to my mule and the door wouldn't open. I left auto-run on and browsed recipes online and when I came back the door still wasn't open. wtf so I logged back in and the door STILL wouldn't open. There weren't even that many people there!
Then I realized I was trying to go through the wrong door
:lol

Kyoufu

Patch note is up on Lodestone actually.

edit: OMG

Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party.
OMG OMG OMG

kiryogi

Banned
Rocwell said:
I think there are some pathing issues with the mobs in this game. I've been soloing with archer and the fact that I want to back up and shoot makes me see all kinds of weird behavior. Sometimes mobs will half try to run away and just stop about 10 "yalms" away letting me shoot them in the back for free crits, the really annoying thing though is that often they will suddenly regen huge chunks of health for no apparent reason. It makes easy fights drag on a lot longer than they should which is doubly annoying when you have to worry about your ammo.

I've been enjoying the crafting system so far compared to ffxi, it's a lot easier to acquire materials yourself for your crafting and the output for items from raw materials seems a lot greater on average. The lack of an auction house or searchable bazaar system forces you to level every craft which is a bummer though.

I have a pretty high tolerance for BS so I think I will stick around for a few months and see how the first few patches go.

Roc :O I didn't check but what server are you on?
- Implemented a countermeasure for an issue which prevented players from gaining skill points during battle.

- Other miscellaneous issues have been addressed.
* The previously announced improvements to the market system are currently in the final preparation stages and will be ready by the version update next week. Please keep an eye out for future announcements regarding this matter.

Damn SE is listenin.

OH DAMN

Shouta

Kyoufu said:
Patch note is up on Lodestone actually.

edit: OMG

OMG OMG OMG

Experience points, not skill points but SE might mean both. Then again with their track record, maybe not. :lol

Also lol at patching because someone crashed the server.

Awntawn said:
As opposed to what, find yellow !, find mobs, kill mobs, find yellow ?, repeat? :lol

Or you know, one could level through 5 man dungeons, or PvP battlegrounds, or do quests that are quite a bit more involved than that.

Rocwell

I'm Debt Rocwell on Bodhum. I was hoping to hook up with some of my old shellmates from ffxi but so far I've been playing solo basically. I wanted to start a character on lindblum but they closed registration when I was making my character. If they're open again I'll probably start a new character there tomorrow, but it will kinda sting to start over my highest lvl is 11 BTN but I also have 10 ARC and 10 CRP (Those are the right abbreviations right?) and a bunch of other jobs around lvl 5-7. The only things I haven't lvled yet are GLD, CNJ, THM, FSH and Cook.

:Edit:
- The chat log will no longer close while entering text during the following processes:
- When viewing a bazaar
- When setting up a bazaar
- During gathering
- During synthesis
Yay

Jinko

Ok hats off to SE for this patch, assuming SP is divided evenly aswell.

Although I guess we shouldn't be commending them on something which should have been fixed in beta.

Undubbed

sigh, I don't know. I'll give it a shot again and see what happened to the sp gains at least. Otherwise it's off to Dungeons and Dragons!

mileS

Kyoufu said:
Uhhhhhhhhh

SP is still not fixed. Girlfriend is getting 15 and 30 SP per fight. What the fuck.

wasn't the bug that certain people when grouped wouldn't get any at all? sometimes when you solo you only end up with 15 or 30sp if the mob dies fast enough.

Canti

Kyoufu said:
Uhhhhhhhhh

SP is still not fixed. Girlfriend is getting 15 and 30 SP per fight. What the fuck.
Surely (for now) the gulf is only going to widen the more you party with her? I mean to say, as you are so many ranks ahead (and increasing) you're hitting mobs harder and much more often, so gaining a larger percentage of SP distribution every time. Undoubtedly it should (be/have been) fixed but until then don't party?

mileS said:
wasn't the bug that certain people when grouped wouldn't get any at all? sometimes when you solo you only end up with 15 or 30sp if the mob dies fast enough.
I noticed this, seem to get a lot less when the mob dies quick rather than purposely dragging out the battle and using weapon skills and abilities to gain more SP :s

Kyoufu

mileS said:

We just killed a bunch of Island Crabs and I got 200ish, she got 15-30. Not fixed.

Canti said:
Surely (for now) the gulf is only going to widen the more you party with her? I mean to say, as you are so many ranks ahead (and increasing) you're hitting mobs harder and much more often, so gaining a larger percentage of SP distribution every time. Undoubtedly it should (be/have been) fixed but until then don't party?

I'm only one rank above her. She does more damage than me, she heals, and pulls hate a lot. This is retarded, I don't even want to level anymore.

When you fight something that takes more than a minute to kill and only get 15 SP for it, you know something is wrong.....

mileS

Kyoufu said:
We just killed a bunch of Island Crabs and I got 200ish, she got 15-30. Not fixed.

I'm only one rank above her. She does more damage than me, she heals, and pulls hate a lot. This is retarded, I don't even want to level anymore.

When you fight something that takes more than a minute to kill and only get 15 SP for it, you know something is wrong.....

no my point is I thought the bug was basically an issue of certain people in the party not getting ANY sp at all for fights.

example, 4 dudes kill a crab
dude1and2 get xp and some SP, dude3and4 get xp but no SP at all
4 dudes fight another crab except this time its another random 2 people that don't get any SP for the kill.

My example sucks i'm super tired but hopefully you get my point.

Awntawn

The glitch before was that in parties, it would sometimes show you gaining points during the points, but at the end of the battle the SP would vanish and you wouldn't gain anything. It would display your exp gain, but no SP gain.

kiryogi

Banned
So whats fixed SP wise is that we actually gain proper SP now :lol All the SP shown during battle actually adds up properly.

Londa

Banned
- The chat log will no longer close while entering text during the following processes:
- When viewing a bazaar
- When setting up a bazaar
- During gathering
- During synthesis

Thank you! This was the most irritating thing. Thank goodness for this fix.

Ronok

Q. Will I be able to do the main scenario quests for the city-states other than the one I choose as my starting destination when creating a character?
A. In fitting with the role of the adventurer as a champion of the nation in which his or her journey begins, players can partake only in the main scenario storyline of the starting destination chosen during character creation. We invite you to peruse the various plot synopses and NPC introductions to decide which epic adventure sounds most enticing to you!

Well that's incredibly disappointing...... :-/

Jinko

Effect said:
No change to the UI at all?

UI won't change for a long time, if ever.

SP is working more correctly but there is still big holes in how it is shared. (try again SE, try again!)

Ronok

Jinko said:

SP is working more correctly but there is still big holes in how it is shared. (try again SE, try again!)

The only solution is still to divide all SP gained between each of the party members. It just doesn't work otherwise unfortunately. :(

jiggle

Ronok said:
The only solution is still to divide all SP gained between each of the party members. It just doesn't work otherwise unfortunately. :(

or just make it not random
can't believe i'm saying this, but the XI system with SP instead of XP will suffice

Effect

Jinko said:

That's what I worry. I logged in real quick before I left for work to see after I made my post. Still lagged. Ugh.

Well I might be reinstalling Age of Conan tonight to give that another play. I'm curious to see what they've added to the game and if it's worth getting the latest expansion pack. Might wait as I plan on starting a new character. I never had a problem with the game when it launched. In fact I really enjoyed it. Seeing the city of the one guild I was apart of start to grow was a great thing to see. An actual fortress to a degree with walls, towers, etc starting to form with a great view of the country side.

I think I stopped playing in favor of another game that came out and I had to decide which one I wanted to focus on at the time. Might have been Warhammer I think. It wasn't because I found something wrong with the game I believe or was even bored with it. Finding groups might have been an issue for some of the dungeons but then again there was plenty of solo quest to do.

Though I still Star Trek Online sitting next to my tower as well. So might flip a coin between the two as I did enjoy that when it came out. Both of these games have had their issues I'll agree but the degree of polish both had right from the start blows away FFXIV I feel.

Salaadin

Patch is a step forward in the right direction but still not perfect. Still, issues have been addressed that we needed so I cant complain. Im thrilled that we can talk during crafting/gathering now. That was HUGE for me since I spent most of my time doing just that.

They also said that theres an update next week for the market wards. Heres hoping that it brings more than just that. :D

Torquill

Regarding leveling rates, at NA release FFXI was quite a bit faster to 50 than other games out at the time (not saying much since we're essentially saying it was faster than EQ).

Even pre ToAU I got from 1-50 on a new chars first job within a month. That includes Rank 5, leveled subjob and sig fame in the three starting cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom