• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Torquill said:
Regarding leveling rates, at NA release FFXI was quite a bit faster to 50 than other games out at the time (not saying much since we're essentially saying it was faster than EQ).

Even pre ToAU I got from 1-50 on a new chars first job within a month. That includes Rank 5, leveled subjob and sig fame in the three starting cities.

Was this pre or post the XP cut though? At launch even in NA, you needed a TON of XP to level. They ended up cutting that down and then ToAU made it even easier to gain but it was initially a lot of XPing even to gain a single level once higher up.

Salaadin said:
Patch is a step forward in the right direction but still not perfect. Still, issues have been addressed that we needed so I cant complain. Im thrilled that we can talk during crafting/gathering now. That was HUGE for me since I spent most of my time doing just that.

They also said that theres an update next week for the market wards. Heres hoping that it brings more than just that. :D

* The previously announced improvements to the market system are currently in the final preparation stages and will be ready by the version update next week. Please keep an eye out for future announcements regarding this matter.

Sounds like more is coming besides just the wards. Sounds like there is a Version Update and the wards will make it into that update. :D :D

Salaadin

Inventory sorting would make my day.

I had a friend make me a bronze pickaxe last week. Because of the shitty inventory right now, I ended up selling it to an NPC. He made me a new one and now I havent been able to live down the fact that I sold it to an NPC. I felt like such an idiot.

Yesterday, he takes my Bronze Pickaxe, repairs it, and turns it into the Plumed Bronze Pickaxe. Im out Mining and I go to my inventory and see that I still have a Bronze Pickaxe AND the Plumed Bronze Pickaxe. Turns out, I never sold it to an NPC. I guess because of all the mining I do and all the bronze that I have on me, "Bronze Pickaxe" blended right in with the slew of nuggets, ores, ingots, wires, chains, and rivets I had on me. Since its not sorted, I was probably just quickly scrolling along the whole time and kept glossing over the word pickaxe.

Point of this story? Im not an idiot that sells useful tools to NPCs. I just dont know how to read. :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, hey. It was a Version Update. Neato.

Ronok said:
Well that's incredibly disappointing...... :-/

I personally like this call. A little bit of consequence to your decisions is a good thing. Someone in the LS stated that region influence in the game (ala FFX) will became a factor. If one could just transfer cities all wilyy nilly, what's the point? Gives things a bit of competition.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I was kind of hoping to see the Leviathan story pan out ... oh well, the Uldah stuff is cool, so thats fine.

Glad theres some fixes, even more glad if they keep a weekly patch thing going.

With the UI, as soon as they fix the lag and add item sorting, its perfect. I really like how it LOOKS.

Off to DC for the weekend for a wedding, see you guys on Monday! :D

Don't leave me in the dust by ranking up too fast, except Dega I expect you to be @ 30 blacksmith by the time I get back :lol

Ronok

Kintaro said:
Well, hey. It was a Version Update. Neato.

I personally like this call. A little bit of consequence to your decisions is a good thing. Someone in the LS stated that region influence in the game (ala FFX) will became a factor. If one could just transfer cities all wilyy nilly, what's the point? Gives things a bit of competition.

I was hoping it would be like FFXI where you don't have to start a new character to see the entire story. Making it so that you could switch nations at some point was something I really enjoyed in XI.

I don't want to have to pay for 3 seperate characters, and level them all, to see all the stories.... They could have easily added some other consequences that don't cost me extra money every month...

Rocwell

Here's a quick question: does anyone know when/if you can do the story missions for another city-state or do you have to start a new character to see another city's storyline? I hit rank 10 and started travelling but haven't got any story missions in the other cities.

:Edit:

Guess that answers that question :lol Have people started putting the mission cutscenes on youtube yet?

zlatko

Banned
This patch is def. making me a bit more hopeful and earnest about logging in for the day to do my leves.

If they can fix the marketwards so I can find what I want like an AH would allow me in that next update, make a sort inventory function, and make anima restore at a more generous rate then I'll be eating some crow about SE getting their crap together.

It's funny they told reviewers to wait 3-4 weeks after release before making a review, so maybe this coming patch will be the stuff of legends? :D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ronok said:
I was hoping it would be like FFXI where you don't have to start a new character to see the entire story. Making it so that you could switch nations at some point was something I really enjoyed in XI.

I don't want to have to pay for 3 seperate characters, and level them all, to see all the stories.... They could have easily added some other consequences that don't cost me extra money every month...

Well, theres always YouTube

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ronok said:

Again, because of a planning influence system (which was discusses in an interview somewhere), I'm glad SE took this route. First of all, you pledging your oath to a city shouldn't be something you can easily undo. Second, it makes the influence system pointless since everyone would just change to the city that is winning. Because, in the end, people don't care about the storylines, just the benefits of winning. Think back to FFXI.

WoW doesn't let you change sides without a price (and for the longest time, they didn't let you at all), TOR won't let you just switch between Jedi and Sith at will, Warhammer doesn't let you either. Down the line, if you want to switch cities, they will probably monetize it.

Heck, the missions could just tie into one big mission involving all three cities anyway. We don't know.

Torquill

Kintaro said:
Again, because of a planning influence system (which was discusses in an interview somewhere), I'm glad SE took this route. First of all, you pledging your oath to a city shouldn't be something you can easily undo. Second, it makes the influence system pointless since everyone would just change to the city that is winning. Because, in the end, people don't care about the storylines, just the benefits of winning. Think back to FFXI.

WoW doesn't let you change sides without a price (and for the longest time, they didn't let you at all), TOR won't let you just switch between Jedi and Sith at will, Warhammer doesn't let you either. Down the line, if you want to switch cities, they will probably monetize it.

Heck, the missions could just tie into one big mission involving all three cities anyway. We don't know.
The storylines where the primary reason I played FFXI. I could give a shit about dynamis or sky or sea. There end game content for gear was incredibly monotonous and dull. The worst I've seen in any game, including te original EverQuest and EQ2. I didn't need that gear to kill Shadowlord or Ealdnarche or I dint see the need. While mist mmos only have itemization as a long term goal, it had story content and a narrative to work through as a goal.

Not saying we're common, but we're out there.

zlatko said:
It's funny they told reviewers to wait 3-4 weeks after release before making a review, so maybe this coming patch will be the stuff of legends? :D

I know this rumor's pretty widespread right now. I can't speak for anyone else, but they definitely never told me to wait, so I wonder if this happened at all in North America.

Decay24

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
Inventory sorting would make my day.

I had a friend make me a bronze pickaxe last week. Because of the shitty inventory right now, I ended up selling it to an NPC. He made me a new one and now I havent been able to live down the fact that I sold it to an NPC. I felt like such an idiot.

Yesterday, he takes my Bronze Pickaxe, repairs it, and turns it into the Plumed Bronze Pickaxe. Im out Mining and I go to my inventory and see that I still have a Bronze Pickaxe AND the Plumed Bronze Pickaxe. Turns out, I never sold it to an NPC. I guess because of all the mining I do and all the bronze that I have on me, "Bronze Pickaxe" blended right in with the slew of nuggets, ores, ingots, wires, chains, and rivets I had on me. Since its not sorted, I was probably just quickly scrolling along the whole time and kept glossing over the word pickaxe.

Point of this story? Im not an idiot that sells useful tools to NPCs. I just dont know how to read. :D

I disagree

Man I beefed up my +control on weaver last night (at 35 I think now) and I'm getting a ton of white orbs. This is awesome.

Canti

Giving up for the day, probably best i took a day off :lol Had the game crash during one leve and the last enemy didn't pop til the timer was nearly out on another, so frustrating. The slog between rank 13-18 miner is horrific too; 100 sp per successful strike? even with 5 successes per node that's still 24 nodes for a single rank up this early on (probably 30-ish counting misses).

Canti said:
Giving up for the day, probably best i took a day off :lol Had the game crash during one leve and the last enemy didn't pop til the timer was nearly out on another, so frustrating. The slog between rank 13-18 miner is horrific too; 100 sp per successful strike? even with 5 successes per node that's still 24 nodes for a single rank up this early on (probably 30-ish counting misses).
I've been leveling Miner solely on levequests. I do 4 per time slice with Guardian's Favor. The "Find 3" give about 400 XP per successful target item at rank 16. I don't really do too much mining outside of the quests right now, it's too tedious due to the SP gain speed. Once I get Lay of the Land III, I'll probably due get back to non-quest mining for a bit.

notworksafe

Kintaro said:

In WoW, TOR, and WAR they also don't charge you to make a new character, so you can see all the storylines without paying extra.

Teknoman

Im sure, just like usual, all 3 mission lines tie into each other at some point, and then everyone does the same missions from there.

This is definitely a worthy patch, and sounds like the next one is gonna be quite major. I wonder how they fixed the Ability exploit...

Ronok

Kintaro said:

As was said by notworksafe, in this game you're being charged extra for each character you create. You're also able to level every job on a single character. That makes it really frustrating to switch for the sole purpose of seeing a few of the story missions which can be explored on your main character. It's been stated in an interview that all the missions end up together as well, so you will just be replaying the first x number of levels. That's really tedious. I don't want to have to pay extra to do that.

Kronotech

I bet they'll eventually let us start over in different cities ala FFXI. Perhaps we'll have to finish the main storyline for the city we began in, and then are able to start our journey over in another.

Just a thought.

Decay24

Neo Member
Is there a special way to make the doors in Uldah open?

I figured it might be lag or something but I just hit Weaver 20 and I can't get into the fucking Weavers Guild

Salaadin

Decay24 said:
Is there a special way to make the doors in Uldah open?

I figured it might be lag or something but I just hit Weaver 20 and I can't get into the fucking Weavers Guild

Log and come back. Thats how I got in.

pix

How did you start the Weaver Quest? Im also 20, and the NPC's at the counter don't say shit. I have completed the Rank 15 Main Storyline as well on my Conjurer.

Salaadin

pix said:
How did you start the Weaver Quest? Im also 20, and the NPC's at the counter don't say shit. I have completed the Rank 15 Main Storyline as well on my Conjurer.
Theres a rank 20 story quest you have to do first I believe.

Salaadin

Kyoufu said:
What? Why would you need a non-crafting job to do the crafting leves?

I think the means the class specific quests issued when you try to join a guild. I dont know for sure as Im not quite there.

TurtleSnatcher said:
So SP still sucks as a spell caster?

They fixed experience in parties though?

So if I solo with my THM I will still get random sp gains? blargh
SP has never sucked for my THM or CON. Yes, it's random, but that's part of the system, and random for everyone. What they fixed was the times where the game would tell you during the fight that you gained SP, but at the end of the fight it wouldn't give it to you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Theres a rank 20 story quest you have to do first I believe.
You just have to finish the rank15 story quest first. I didn't do the rank 20 quest yet, and I was still able to get the marauder's guild quest.

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
You just have to finish the rank15 story quest first. I didn't do the rank 20 quest yet, and I was still able to get the marauder's guild quest.

Oh really, I always assumed that when I saw people saying that you had to hit 20 first, you also needed to do the r20 story quest. I stand corrected. Thanks :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TurtleSnatcher said:
So SP still sucks as a spell caster?

They fixed experience in parties though?

So if I solo with my THM I will still get random sp gains? blargh
You just gotta find the right mob and have the right technique. I decided to level up THM yesterday, and soloed from rank 1-9 in 2 hours. I just played like a melee. I didn't even respec my marauder stats or equip any spells.

Phantom dart > Phantom dart > phantom dart > skull sunder > concussive blow > radiance > 100-300 SP.

I job changed to THM at Camp Bloodshore, and ran south along the path, killing all the wharf rats.

Then I headed to the sheep area South of Limsa, and killed sheep until level 7. Then I went back north slightly and killed Puk hatchlings and Aurellias until level 9. It didn't take very long at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Oh really, I always assumed that when I saw people saying that you had to hit 20 first, you also needed to do the r20 story quest. I stand corrected. Thanks :)
Oh, you probably have to be rank 20 in that particular class whose guild you want to join. I'm not positive, though. Any rank 15s who have done the 15 story quest can test to see if they can join their guild.

Rentahamster said:
You just gotta find the right mob and have the right technique. I decided to level up THM yesterday, and soloed from rank 1-9 in 2 hours. I just played like a melee. I didn't even respec my marauder stats or equip any spells.

Phantom dart > Phantom dart > phantom dart > skull sunder > concussive blow > radiance > 100-300 SP.

I job changed to THM at Camp Bloodshore, and ran south along the path, killing all the wharf rats.

Then I headed to the sheep area South of Limsa, and killed sheep until level 7. Then I went back north slightly and killed Puk hatchlings and Aurellias until level 9. It didn't take very long at all.

Anyone can 1-9 in 2 hrs.. any class.

But what I'm saying is that its still frustrating to kill 3 mobs.. then get nothing but experience and ZERO SP.. then run into the next two that give me the normal amount then run into the next 2 that suddenly only give me 20.. then run into another 3 that give me ZERO.. it makes no sense.

I do the same patterns each time.. Phantom Dart > Phantom Dart > Red Lotus > Phantom Dart > Scourge etc etc.. Ive tried other things and it doesnt change it much.

It makes no sense to penalize casters with random SP gains.. its confusing as all hell.

Dreamwriter said:
SP has never sucked for my THM or CON. Yes, it's random, but that's part of the system, and random for everyone. What they fixed was the times where the game would tell you during the fight that you gained SP, but at the end of the fight it wouldn't give it to you.

Its random for spell casters but for War classes its consistent with each battle.

Decay24

Neo Member
Yeah I did the rank 15 quest in Gridania like a week ago and was able to do the Weaver quest. Speaking of the Weaver quest, what a pain in the ass.

Start in Uldah, door to guild won't open so I relog. Get the quest and run to the Golden Bazaar camp north of Drybone. Get a ripped hood key item and get sent back to Uldah only to get told that I need to find some red cotton cloth to repair it. Thankfully there was a galka outside the guild selling some for 1.5k per so I bought 5. Remade the item and now I'm running back to the Golden Bazaar. D:

Haven't done the lv 20 story mission yet. Will do that next.

Salaadin

TurtleSnatcher said:
Its random for spell casters but for War classes its consistent with each battle.

SP is all over the place for my MRD.

It only seems consistent for my MIN which follows a basic forumula of dig up something = good SP/XP , dont dig up anything = bad SP/no XP.

Salaadin said:
SP is all over the place for my MRD.

It only seems consistent for my MIN which follows a basic forumula of dig up something = good SP/XP , dont dig up anything = bad SP/no XP.
But are you getting SP every fight or is it 0 on some fights and maybe 250sp like 3 fights later?

jiggle

didn't know this until now
but apparently when i failed a leve (or 2)
after the next reset, i can initiate them again directly from camp
and these leves don't actually count towards the 8 new leve of that day?

so it's still possible to deliberately fail leve for skill up doing this no?

oh
onion armor set get :D
2hmedl4.jpg

completely useless from what i can tell
maybe i should've gotten those vintage doublet/shields XD

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's kind of amusing, the fixes today was stuff that normally gets sorted out during Open Beta.
It's now (well, it's been for awhile) pretty obvious that it was rushed out to meet a financial quarter or year.

At least they did manage to use Open Beta to fix high population problems, as on the whole the servers have worked pretty well.

Ravidrath

Yeah, uh, where can I get a Vintage Doublet? That's like my #1 most wanted item right now for crafting/gathering classes. :eek:

Also, are Faction leves easy, or would I need a party for them if I'm under R20?

Londa

Banned
the onion armor is kind of underwelming. The helmet looks really out of place compared to the rest of the clothes.

Azrael

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, uh, where can I get a Vintage Doublet? That's like my #1 most wanted item right now for crafting/gathering classes. :eek:

Also, are Faction leves easy, or would I need a party for them if I'm under R20?

According to this, you can get a Frayed Doublet Vest as a reward item from a faction leve. The Frayed Doublet Vest can then be upgraded to a Vintage Doublet Vest using the recipe listed. There's no listing for what Weaver skill is required to make the item, but I would guess 30+.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/item/vintage-doublet-vest?id=8031222

Maybe the Onion set will bet upgradeable down the road in a similar way.

Haint

Coldsnap said:
patch was enough to keep me around, it is a start.

Wow you're easy to please. They literally did nothing but attempt to fix a 3 month old game breaking bug and crafting chat. I say attempt cause the patch notes wording seems very intentional and suggests they have little confidence in it being an end-all solution.

Coldsnap

Reallink said:
Wow you're easy to please. They literally did nothing but attempt to fix a 3 month old game breaking bug and crafting chat. I say attempt cause the patch notes wording seems very intentional and suggests they have little confidence in it being an end-all solution.

Not really, it showed that SE was listening which is a lot more than I can say about their past track record. Most of the changes I want seems like coders need to do some work and I'm guessing that SE has 3 coders and a monkey working on this game so I can wait till next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom