• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Its random for spell casters but for War classes its consistent with each battle.
It's random for everybody. Are you saying you are getting SP from every single hit you do in a War class? If so that's a bug. I am the sole mage in a static party of four, I'm getting SP at about the same rate as everyone else during our Leves. The secret: cast spells :) This isn't a game that rewards the "sit back and wait for the opportune moment" like FFXI spellcasters often did. During a combat I am continually casting non-dart spells (as long as I can target the creature...), and using area of effect so I can hit multiple enemies with each attack, thus having SP-gain chance with every creature I hit. That's what evens it out between us and WAR classes, our main attacks all hit multiple creatures at once. So sure, a Pugilist can get 3 hits in for one of my spells...which hits 3 creatures.

Teknoman

Q. What effect does my character’s namdeday have in the game world?
Currently, a character’s nameday has no bearing in-game, but the planning of future content such as nameday present campaigns and temporary nameday buffs is ongoing. Of course, we will be striving to ensure that whatever special benefits are granted are as fair as possible, with all namedays being treated equally. Feel free to match your character’s nameday to your own birthday, to select some lucky numbers, or, should neither of those options tickle your fancy, go random!

Q. I get that there are twelve guardians, but what type of influence will the one I select exert over my character?
At present, the guardian selected during character creation will have no significant impact within the game world. In the future, when new features impacted by or related to a character’s guardians are implemented, we will also be presenting players with the option to choose a new guardian. You may offer your piety to the deity that most closely reflects your character’s personality, or perhaps the guardian worshipped by the nation in which your adventure begins. Another option is to select the guardian under whose moon your character’s nameday falls. Or you could be as capricious as the gods themselves, and simply pick one on a whim!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I found out today that I can't really craft any equipment until at least level 20 :( That sucks, I want to craft newb gear for myself! But GAF is nice - and they are helping with my harpoon!

Until then I'll just craft my way to level 20, Im level 12 already, and I think my total gameplay is like... 6 hours. 2-3 of those hours spent aimlessly wandering or doing the starting quest :p.

Kyoufu said:
Worst MMO and mainline FF game ever.

I don't want to say it's the -worst- but... I spent over an hour in the market district today. Goddamn. Goddamn. Just bite the bullet and make a fucking Auction house SE! This retainer bullshit is going to be the death of you! Also, let me craft equipment sub-level 20!

Kinitari said:
I don't want to say it's the -worst- but... I spent over an hour in the market district today. Goddamn. Goddamn. Just bite the bullet and make a fucking Auction house SE! This retainer bullshit is going to be the death of you! Also, let me craft equipment sub-level 20!
That's gonna be fixed next week, the markets (wards) are getting organized by type of thing being sold

Haint

Dreamwriter said:
That's gonna be fixed next week, the markets (wards) are getting organized by type of thing being sold

Problem is most people sell melee weapons, mage weapons, armor, accessories, and craft ingredients simultaneously. I'm not sure by-type divisions are going to improve much of anything for the vast majority of users.

TheFatOne

Looking at the recipes for any decent is depressing. Just to make the first armor you need an armorer of at least 15, weaving 10, and a decent tanner.

Reallink said:
Problem is most people sell melee weapons, mage weapons, armor, accessories, and craft ingredients simultaneously. I'm not sure by-type divisions are going to improve much of anything for the vast majority of users.
Except, you'll be hit by big taxes for selling something that doesn't match the ward you're in.

TheFatOne said:
Looking at the recipes for any decent is depressing. Just to make the first armor you need an armorer of at least 15, weaving 10, and a decent tanner.
Depends on which armor you are talking about. A good level 13 mage armor can be made with a rank 5 weaver and a buncha cloths you can buy from the weaver guild for 2000 a piece.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Dreamwriter said:

That doesn't nearly fix the problem.

From a sellers perspective, lets say I want to sell 30 items, from a variety of different categories - with one retainer, I cant. OR I can, and I get taxed ridonkulously. Even if they add multiple retainers, can you imagine the amount of management you'd need to do? Heck, stocking one retainer is hard enough.

From a buyers perspective, lets say I want "sheep leather" - if there is 40 retainers huddled in the leatherworking section, I have to go through maybe all of them to find what I want, or find out it's not there. And to make sure I have the best price, I would definately have to go through all of them (or after I go through all of them, backtrack to the best price only to find it gone).

Nah man, the system is really not cohesive to a MMO environment, especially one where they have a huge focus on player created content.

edit: And don't even get me started on city exclusive market systems, especially when crafting facilities are not equally spread among all cities.

Ronok

Dreamwriter said:

Where have SE said this? Did I miss something? I thought we were still unsure how the market wards would be fixed. :-/

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ronok said:
Where have SE said this? Did I miss something? I thought we were still unsure how the market wards would be fixed. :-/

They said that they would do stuff to the market wards in their patch notes for last night. They weren't clear about what they'd do though.

notworksafe

Dreamwriter said:
I still don't get how this will help anyone.

Do you only sell one type of item at a time?
Do you just buy a shitload of retainers (at the cost of $1/month) so that you can sell more than one type of item at once and avoid the tax?
Do you just say "fuck it" and put everything on your retainer at once, therefore making the different wards useless?

I see these as the main three options, and all of them are bad.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:

Do you just buy a shitload of retainers (at the cost of $1/month) so that you can sell more than one type of item at once and avoid the tax?
Do you just say "fuck it" and put everything on your retainer at once, therefore making the different wards useless?

I would think it would go like this:

1) General wards, for random crap
2) Trade materials wards
3) Categorized wards because more than likely the higher level gear will come from people who specialized in certain trades

Ideally the next step would to be a posting board in the central area of each ward for searching and locating retainers in that ward that have what you are looking for.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
notworksafe said:

All this can be solved with an AH - it doesn't even have to be a good one, I'd take FFXI's crappy AH over no AH.

Although give me an AH that is not city specific, one that I can sort and that is broken down into easy to manage categories - and you'll have me sold.

One thing I've been missing a suprising amount in this game as well? Drag and drop. Goddamn what I wouldn't do for some drag and drop.

Valru said:
I would think it would go like this:

1) General wards, for random crap
2) Trade materials wards
3) Categorized wards because more than likely the higher level gear will come from people who specialized in certain trades

Ideally the next step would to be a posting board in the central area of each ward for searching and locating retainers in that ward that have what you are looking for.

Why make such a convoluted and unnecessary system? What would be the point? No one would be ever really satisfied, and it's not like not having an AH makes you cool and unique in any reasonable way - why not just make a goddamn AH?

gillty

Banned
Kinitari said:
One thing I've been missing a suprising amount in this game as well? Drag and drop. Goddamn what I wouldn't do for some drag and drop.

Why make such a convoluted and unecessary system? What would be the point? No one would be ever really satisfied, and it's not like not having an AH makes you cool and unique in any reasonable way - why not just make a goddamn AH?
I wouldn't, but because they have already gone that route, that is the most likely route I think they would go. If they had any intention of implementing the AH it would already have been in or announced.

One strength of the ward system is that it congregates people very well, if the AH is never implemented I think you will see certain players/retainers become well known for their specializations.

You will never see drag and drop because they have clearly intentionally gimped the PC version in order to give standard PS3 pad players an equal footing. Mouse support at the basic level (mouse look) was tacked on at the end of beta. I've already stated many times that they should have segregated the servers and properly designed the UI of each platform to the PC and PS3's respective strengths. Do I like what they done? hell no, do I still enjoy the game? yes.

Alright, after all the bad press and player responses I bit the bullet and bought this thing. Tired of trashing it without seeing it all first hand. Ugh.

I'm not far enough to worry about the lack of AH yet (am sure after FFXI that pain will be keen and unforgivable once I start wanting one), but the lag...monstrously bad.

Leveled a Thaumaturge to 7-8 and then deleted it out of frustration, walking into the Adventurer's Guild and waiting 2 minutes (!) for the NPCs to spawn in...Christ.

That said, I'm trying to wrestle with things like crafting, which everyone seems to assume is piss easy but I can't figure out for the life of me.

Is there a starter's guide, or beginner's guide to leve quests/crafting/leveling anywhere?

Hope to meet some GAF folks online once I know what the hell I'm doing, name is Mist Walker. Just rerolled in Gardinia and am gonna go Conjurer out of the gate this time, see how it feels.

gillty

Banned
Mistwalker said:
Is there a starter's guide, or beginner's guide to leve quests/crafting/leveling anywhere?

Hope to meet some GAF folks online once I know what the hell I'm doing, name is Mist Walker. Just rerolled in Gardinia and am gonna go Conjurer out of the gate this time, see how it feels.
Official guildleve guide:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleve01.html

Contact someone on this list for an invite to the GAF ls.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...tT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO#gid=1

Valru said:
Awesome, thank you kindly.

Quick question: going for a Conjurer (which makes it seem like Gardinia is the place to start) but also plan to be a Weaver (whose guild is in Ul'dah). Any input on whether it's worth one starting location over another here?

gillty

Banned
Mistwalker said:
Awesome, thank you kindly.

Quick question: going for a Conjurer (which makes it seem like Gardinia is the place to start) but also plan to be a Weaver (whose guild is in Ul'dah). Any input on whether it's worth one starting location over another here?
It only takes 30-45minutes to travel between Gridania and Ul'dah and guilds dont really factor into early progression, start where you wish. Starter Tools and Weapons for any class can be picked up in any city:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=7a48e3eae8cfe86408678450550b1bbe7fde1b20

Good weaving guide:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/tutorials/article/14-weaving-course-manual/

Valru said:
It only takes 30-45minutes to travel between Gridania and Ul'dah and guilds dont really factor into early progression, start where you wish. Starter Tools and Weapons for any class can be picked up in any city:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=7a48e3eae8cfe86408678450550b1bbe7fde1b20

Good weaving guide:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/tutorials/article/14-weaving-course-manual/
Again, thank you--I'd tried to find starter tools and weapons in Ul'dah but waiting minutes for each vendor to spawn was...unpleasant.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you on the GAF Linkshell list? :)

Alright, I'm off to see what Gridania has in store for a brand new Conjurer...

gillty

Banned
Mistwalker said:
Again, thank you--I'd tried to find starter tools and weapons in Ul'dah but waiting minutes for each vendor to spawn was...unpleasant.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you on the GAF Linkshell list? :)

Alright, I'm off to see what Gridania has in store for a brand new Conjurer...
That list is of the people who can invite you to the guild, if you click on the tabs along the bottom you will find the general list. :)

Torquill

Mistwalker said:
Alright, after all the bad press and player responses I bit the bullet and bought this thing. Tired of trashing it without seeing it all first hand. Ugh.

I'm not far enough to worry about the lack of AH yet (am sure after FFXI that pain will be keen and unforgivable once I start wanting one), but the lag...monstrously bad.

Leveled a Thaumaturge to 7-8 and then deleted it out of frustration, walking into the Adventurer's Guild and waiting 2 minutes (!) for the NPCs to spawn in...Christ.

That said, I'm trying to wrestle with things like crafting, which everyone seems to assume is piss easy but I can't figure out for the life of me.

Deleted and made a new char?

Valru said:
That list is of the people who can invite you to the guild, if you click on the tabs along the bottom you will find the general list. :)
Ah. :lol Good to know.

Torquill said:
Deleted and made a new char?
Yep. Also gave me the chance to reselect my world, was tempted to jump on the less crowded Fabul but didn't want to leave GAF. I missed the FFXI party on Fairy (was Bismarck myself) so gonna buckle down and give this another shot.

Why would you delete and make a new character though? Any character can be any class or job simply by buying the weapon or tool associated with that class. The only reason you would delete a character is if you wanted to change your race or gender. Which is silly, since everyone knows that catgirl is best girl! :lol

CATGIRL IS BEST GIRL
catgirl.jpg

So, Zabian Zarad and I decided to go on a bit of a journey. Originally we were just going to go together to Camp Bluefog to turn in a local leve, and btw fuck you Squenix for sending us to a camp guarded by lvl 30+ aggro mobs to turn in a lvl 1 local leve. :lol Anyways, after we made it to Bluefog we noticed some awesome flames and things in the distance to the north and so we went to investigate. After a somewhat perilous journey avoiding high-level aggro mobs in the classic vein of XI, we made it to Mor Dhona and found Bahamut and his airship. Well, we found their remains anyways.

Arriving at Mor Dhona at night. What's that in the distance?
bahamut1.jpg

Let's get a bit closer. We might as well get some fishing in while we're at it. They say the fish like to bite around sunrise anyways. :lol
bahamut2.jpg

And here's Bahamut and his airship in all their glory in the light of day.
bahamut3.jpg

Ravidrath

Am I hallucinating, or does the UI lag seem improved since today's update?

Unknown Soldier said:
And here's Bahamut and his airship in all their glory in the light of day.

Saw that in the open beta, and really hoping we'll get to explore inside there for the story.

zlatko

Banned
Effect said:
GameTrailers has their review up. 4.2 out of 10. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-final-fantasy/705892?type=flv

Added it to the review thread.

I enjoyed their review. Pretty on point and consistent with the majority of players feelings at the moment.

I hope someone puts out a 9/10 review just so we can laugh long and hard.

I've been pretty busy this week, so no real play time for me, but hopefully next week I'll be getting some more time with the game since todays update and hopefully the big one that might fix the wards. If they can fix it in one go I think I will stay longer in the game. I think I said previously this would help me enjoy the game more so I don't HAVE to craft and level 5+ of them constantly to get equipment I want at a reasonable price.

Ravidrath

Kyoufu said:
You're hallucinating.

Dammit, not again!

Regarding the story...

Anyone see this?

Q. Will I be able to do the main scenario quests for the city-states other than the one I choose as my starting destination when creating a character?

A. In fitting with the role of the adventurer as a champion of the nation in which his or her journey begins, players can partake only in the main scenario storyline of the starting destination chosen during character creation. We invite you to peruse the various plot synopses and NPC introductions to decide which epic adventure sounds most enticing to you!

Completely stupid.

The story content is just about all they've got, at this point, and it's content FFXIV players are specifically interested in - why the hell would they lock it away?

If gil generation is a concern, then just eliminate that, or replace it with Guildmarks or something else that won't impact the economy.

Zomba13

Unknown Soldier said:
Arriving at Mor Dhona at night. What's that in the distance?
bahamut1.jpg
If you didn't have the names in that shot it'd make a great promo screenie or something.

I really hope they let us do other cities story quests at some point. Maybe make it so you need to finish your starting cities first? And if they don't want people getting gil replace the rewards on subsequent cities with guildmarks for your current job or something.

Also: HOW DO I HAS ONION SET :eek: I think it would look amazing on my taru, even if worthless I can wear it when leveling up < rank10 jobs.

mileS

Londa said:
you only come in here to post this every day at least once.

and yet he has one of the highest ranks out of anyone here thats been playing. If he hates the game so much why is he almost rank 30..

Kinitari said:
Ronok said:
They said that they would do stuff to the market wards in their patch notes for last night. They weren't clear about what they'd do though.
The Lodestone said:
A. We have continued to receive copious amounts of feedback regarding changes that players would like to see made to the market system. As a result, we are planning a number of revisions and additions to the system, the first of which are scheduled to be implemented in the next one to two weeks.

Specifically, market wards will be organized according to specific item types, making it easier to consolidate similar items in the same area. Further, if an item sold within a ward corresponds to that wards’ item type, the tax incurred will be reduced. Items not of that ward’s category may still be sold, but the tax imposed will remain the same as it has up until now.

Examples of the new Ward names, and the items that get a reduced tax when sold there:

Battlecraft Ward: Pugilist's Arms / Gladiator's Arms / Marauder's Arms / Lancer's Arms / Archer's Arms / Shields / Arrows / Throwing Stones / Throwing Spears / Throwing Circles / Throwing Axes
Clothiers Ward: Undershirts / Full Plate / War Garb / Attire / Hooded Attire
Fieldcraft Ward: Fisher's Primary Tools / Fisher's Secondary Tools / Miner's Primary Tools / Miner's Secondary Tools / Botanist's Primary Tools / Botanist's Secondary Tools / Bait / Lures
Tanners Ward: Hides / Leathers / Furs / Armor Hides / Armor Leathers / Footwear Parts

The full article

Ronok

Dreamwriter said:
Examples of the new Ward names, and the items that get a reduced tax when sold there:

Battlecraft Ward: Pugilist's Arms / Gladiator's Arms / Marauder's Arms / Lancer's Arms / Archer's Arms / Shields / Arrows / Throwing Stones / Throwing Spears / Throwing Circles / Throwing Axes
Clothiers Ward: Undershirts / Full Plate / War Garb / Attire / Hooded Attire
Fieldcraft Ward: Fisher's Primary Tools / Fisher's Secondary Tools / Miner's Primary Tools / Miner's Secondary Tools / Botanist's Primary Tools / Botanist's Secondary Tools / Bait / Lures
Tanners Ward: Hides / Leathers / Furs / Armor Hides / Armor Leathers / Footwear Parts

The full article

That's incredibly stupid........ o.o;; I really can't believe this is what they came up with.................v.v;

Jinko

Ronok said:
That's incredibly stupid........ o.o;; I really can't believe this is what they came up with.................v.v;

You seem to miss the most important bit.

* Market area names in all cities are subject to change.

We will be closely monitoring the trends and developments of the market system following the implementation of these revisions and new features, and will continue to make further adjustments and alterations to improve player usability and convenience. For example, we are currently looking into options that will provide players with precise information as to which items are located in which market areas, or the ability to seek out specific items without the need for speaking to retainers, and more.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who plays this game that SE are so far behind on features that we can't expect them to drop a system into play immediately.

[not directed at anyone in paticular]I get the frustration some of you have, but enough with the whining, it is what it is, we all knew release would be paid beta.

Ronok

Jinko said:
You seem to miss the most important bit.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who plays this game that SE are so far behind on features that we can't expect them to drop a system into play immediately.

[not directed at anyone in paticular]I get the frustration some of you have, but enough with the whining, it is what it is, we all knew release would be paid beta.

Yuh, that was really stupid of me... o.o;; Must pay more attention. :p

Babalu.

will play until the free month is up, then will probably have to stop. I'm so dissapointed, been waiting since it was announced that SE was making a new MMO years ago.

But anyways, i'll still play because there's no other MMO's out there that interest me.

Does anyone have a carpentry guide? I'm a lvl 12 archer, and lvl 10 miner/botonist. I havn't started crafting anything at all yet and don't know how.

Does anyone have a guide to starting crafting as well as easy synths to level up carpentery?

Thanks!

TheFatOne

Babalu. said:
will play until the free month is up, then will probably have to stop. I'm so dissapointed, been waiting since it was announced that SE was making a new MMO years ago.

But anyways, i'll still play because there's no other MMO's out there that interest me.

Does anyone have a carpentry guide? I'm a lvl 12 archer, and lvl 10 miner/botonist. I havn't started crafting anything at all yet and don't know how.

Does anyone have a guide to starting crafting as well as easy synths to level up carpentery?

Thanks!

If you want to do carpentry you need a lot of wind shards. The first synth you want to make is maple logs-->maple lumber. It costs about 4 wind shards. The great thing is that you get 4 maple lumber for every 1 maple log. After that you can turn 1 maple lumber into 1Maple Dagger Grip or 1 Maple Hammer Grip or 1 Maple Head Knife Grip. So all you need is about 10-12 logs and that should get you to about level 10. The first step is to gather maple logs. Since you are a botanist that should be easy. My suggestion would be to get around 8-12 maple logs.

This is the synth
Maple Log(+4wind Shards)-->Maple lumber(+3Wind Shards)--> Maple Hammer grip

I would choose to make Maple Hammer grips because the other two synths cost 5 wind shards and you get about the same sp if you were to make the other two.

Use the YG database for recipes.

Zomba13

Jest said:
Hey dudes, I just got the game and I am patching now. What server is the GAF linkshell on?
Lindblum, it's in the OP.

I've decided to focus purely on armour crafting now. Armour and clothing and accessories from goldsmithing. Working on weaver to rank 10. Got all the other armour crafts (armoury and leathercraft) to 10+. Hopefully now I'll be able to make the equips for my PGL seeing as they wear mostly cloth suff with some leather and some heavy armour (I still don't know why they can wear barbuts and gauntlets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom