• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorponok

Hi Gaffers,

I got the collector's edition, and for the past several days, after logging on, I get the 'Server is down for maintenance' message. However, my friend can get on quite easily.

I tried googling the solution, but nothing comes up. Is anyone else having the same problem?

gillty

Banned
Interesting tidbit from XI's history: http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=157

04/26/2002 FFXI Playstation 2 Beta Test Ends
The final version of Final Fantasy XI was put together, and the beta test ended. Testers were allowed to have their chosen names transferred over to the full game. The game began with 20 worlds, and it was announced that the last two digits of your total gil would determine where you were placed. This way, players were able to transfer along with their friends to the same server. This system led to servers initially being referred to by number, such as “World 0,” or “Server #5.”

05/16/2002 FFXI PS2 goes on sale, Service begins!
The names for the twenty worlds were revealed: Bahamut, Shiva, Titan, Ramuh, Phoenix, Carbuncle, Fenrir, Sylph, Valefor, Alexander, Leviathan, Odin, Ifrit, Diabolos, Caitsith, Quetzalcoatl, Siren, Unicorn, Gilgamesh and Ragnarok. On the first day of service, there were so many access requests that the servers were down, and disconnects were common. This was completely fixed by May 19. Due to the loss of service, free play was extended past the end of May until the end of June. The PS2 version cost 7800 yen. It contained Final Fantasy XI, PlayOnline Viewer, Tetra Master and JongHoLo (a Mahjong game). It also came with a pretty thick playing manual, weighing in at 288 pages.

05/23/2002 The First Version Update
Treasure adjustments (e.g. Pugils in East Ronfaure would no longer drop Shall Shells.)
NPC buying prices adjusted (crab shells, shall shells, etc).

06/11/2002 First Large-Scale Version Update
Auction House opened.
Screenshot function added.
Notorious Monsters implemented.

The duration of Bind was shortened.
The guard stationed in North Gustaberg was moved to its current location.
HQ results for crafting made their appearance.
The minimum level required to obtain a sub job quest was set to 18.
DEX bonus added to Sneak Attack. Effect of Treasure Hunter strengthened.

history repeating itself? -.-

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Valru said:
Interesting tidbit from XI's history: http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=157

history repeating itself? -.-

Sounds like it, the main difference being FF14 was a worldwide release.

It's a sad situation, but an additional 30 days of free playtime would go a long way to restoring confidence in the playerbase. It would be somewhat expensive, but mmorpgs tend to rely on word of mouth, so I think he cost would be worth it.

Then as long as some of these amaturish mistakes are fixed within the 60 day free period...

Ravidrath

OK, so what the fuck is the deal with the enemies running off and healing themselve in the middle of battle?

I just had an epic, like... 10 minute battle with an Aldgoat Nanny, which I eventually lost. It kept running off and healing, almost to full a few times.

I should've killed it like 3 times over, but ultimately it won 'cause it just wore me down.

Ravidrath said:
OK, so what the fuck is the deal with the enemies running off and healing themselve in the middle of battle?

I just had an epic, like... 10 minute battle with an Aldgoat Nanny, which I eventually lost. It kept running off and healing, almost to full a few times.

I should've killed it like 3 times over, but ultimately it won 'cause it just wore me down.
Welcome to Final Fantasy XIV

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:

I had this happen a lot in Gridania. A Funguar I fought near the river kept going back to it and healing. I thought it was Water that would heal it (which would be kinda cool) but no matter what I did I couldn't get it away from it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ravidrath said:

Did you try following it? I haven't played XIV, but I know the way it works in WoW is if you get enough distance between yourself and a mob it'll heal itself back to full.

NeoForte

sykoex said:
Did you try following it? I haven't played XIV, but I know the way it works in WoW is if you get enough distance between yourself and a mob it'll heal itself back to full.

Mobs I fought that do that would do it even if you follow them.

careksims

So I reached Mar Rank 25 and trying to see where to go for the next story quest. I looked online and I find nothing. Is the Rank 20 quest the last one? If there's more, where do I go?

Jinko

I got my companion.. Shantotto the 2nd, so I named her such.

ffxivgame20101010014309.jpg

Kyoufu

Ravidrath said:
Does the Sound Effect Volume setting in config not work for anyone else?

It works for some things, but most things such as ambience and people crafting...nope ;/

TheFatOne said:
Anyone a high level armorer? I need to know what recipe I should use to get to level 15. I am rank 11 right now.

IIRC I did copper rings until 14 then moved on to Bronze Ingots from 14 to 15. Make as many ingots as you can then turn them into Bronze Wires, then turn the Wires into Bronze Rings. Easy 20+ right there.

Awntawn

Jinko said:
I got my companion.. Shantotto the 2nd, so I named her such.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6492/ffxivgame20101010014309.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
Haha, my lala F is like a cross between Shantotto and Momodi - personality of the former and the hair of the latter.

And hence:
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/krnuw.jpg

TheFatOne

Kyoufu said:
It works for some things, but most things such as ambience and people crafting...nope ;/

IIRC I did copper rings until 14 then moved on to Bronze Ingots from 14 to 15. Make as many ingots as you can then turn them into Bronze Wires, then turn the Wires into Bronze Rings. Easy 20+ right there.

Thank you sir

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, crash right as my faction leve started nooooo!!1

My new belt :(
Yay, apparently my party killed the boss before my character timed out on the server, so I still got the reward back when I went to the crystal!

You guys rock!

Ravidrath

So, let's talk about partying a bit.

I had a party today. It started off really well, and I was super-pleased because I was getting way more SP than I pretty much ever had. I'm a Conjurer, so soloing is especially slow.

Then some drama broke out...

Melee: These suck. I'm only getting like 250 per.
Mages: Really? We're getting like 300-500 per.
Melee: Let's try something else. This isn't fair.
Leader: OK.

So we wander around and try a bunch of other things. Whenever the melee are happy, they're quick kills. They say that they're getting 300+ per, while the mages are typically getting under 100 because there's no healing. Melees love them because they somehow get more SP per, and we can kill them much faster.

We try some crabs, and the mages are ecstatic. Predictably, the melees are not.

We tried a bit longer, and then some other drama broke out over a retard Gladiator who refused to use a shield because he wanted to be a DPS, and ultimately that tore us apart.

How is it that melee and mages get such wildly different results on the same monsters? Shouldn't melee be getting continual benefits for hitting mobs for an extended period of time, too, and thus benefit from more difficult, drawn-out battles like mages do?

I'm really not sure what the answer to this is, either.

It seems most fair to pool the random SP and divvy it up at the end (possibly with a multiplier), but I'm concerned this will just lead to melee burns again, because the fast, natural HP regen and subbed healing seems like it might preclude the need for healers altogether.

Torquill

Perhaps the reason no one can nail down a patten for SP problems is because there is no pattern. Perhaps your all being driven mad by the fact that it's just a random system :p.

Big parties are pretty fun. We managed to hit 13/15 people in a party for the second weekend in a row after the leve reset in the middle of the peak hours in North America.

bigparty.jpg

I'm not sure what happened to Cotton Mouth's head, but I've seen that bug on my character before as well where you can go The Exorcist and have your head turned completely around on your body. Unfortunately Kessah Shrykewolf was busy trying to unclog her Intartubes and couldn't make it for our group glamour shot.

carlo6529

Anyone know how to create a second retainer? I went in the whole account management thing but instead of making a second retainer, I accidentally created a second "real" character.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
So, let's talk about partying a bit.

I had a party today. It started off really well, and I was super-pleased because I was getting way more SP than I pretty much ever had. I'm a Conjurer, so soloing is especially slow.

Then some drama broke out...

Melee: These suck. I'm only getting like 250 per.
Mages: Really? We're getting like 300-500 per.
Melee: Let's try something else. This isn't fair.
Leader: OK.

So we wander around and try a bunch of other things. Whenever the melee are happy, they're quick kills. They say that they're getting 300+ per, while the mages are typically getting under 100 because there's no healing. Melees love them because they somehow get more SP per, and we can kill them much faster.

We try some crabs, and the mages are ecstatic. Predictably, the melees are not.

We tried a bit longer, and then some other drama broke out over a retard Gladiator who refused to use a shield because he wanted to be a DPS, and ultimately that tore us apart.

How is it that melee and mages get such wildly different results on the same monsters? Shouldn't melee be getting continual benefits for hitting mobs for an extended period of time, too, and thus benefit from more difficult, drawn-out battles like mages do?

I'm really not sure what the answer to this is, either.

It seems most fair to pool the random SP and divvy it up at the end (possibly with a multiplier), but I'm concerned this will just lead to melee burns again, because the fast, natural HP regen and subbed healing seems like it might preclude the need for healers altogether.

Yup even split sp would be the best way, sure this could cause issues with people leaching whilst AFK, but its for the leader to kick them if that happens IMO.

Plus what with moving parties if they are AFK they will be out of range to gain XP/SP.

You guys need to get over and pester SE on their feedback page if you want to see a change though. Click

Zomba13

I think the best course of action with SP is to have a baseline amount for every mob (relative to your rank and it's rank). You'll only get this baseline SP gain if you engage the mob and hit it once (with a spell/melee attack/debuff). That way AFK players don't get SP and everyone is guaranteed a 'fair' amount of SP. Obviously you'll also have the random gains but this way you will never get a mob where you gain 0 SP (unless it's 'Too weak to be worthwhile') and there is a reason to fight tougher mobs (bigger base SP, longer fight so more chance for random skillups on top of that, more HP so bigger random SP as you can use more weaponskills/spells that deal more damage and give more SP if it procs)

Ravidrath said:
They do, but it sounds like the melee dudes in your party needed better armor - they obviously needed healing too much, so the healers were doing more healing than the melees were doing attacks.

Of course the SP gains are also completely random, so it's possible you guys were just analyzing it too closely.

Ravidrath

Dreamwriter said:
They do, but it sounds like the melee dudes in your party needed better armor - they obviously needed healing too much, so the healers were doing more healing than the melees were doing attacks.

Of course the SP gains are also completely random, so it's possible you guys were just analyzing it too closely.

Well, like I said, one of the Gladiators was an idiot and didn't want to use a shield, so that wasn't helping.

But I think the definition of "needing too much healing" is just based on if you run out of MP before your MP restore ability is up.

Healing "too much" was the only way we could get SP at all - that's why the Sea Hare's "Jizzsprinkler" attack was the mages' favorite thing in the world.

I think the randomness is aimed at sort of giving the effect of XI's campaign exp. system, but maybe they just need to double or triple the chance of it happening while halving or thirding the SP gain from time it procs.

And, as much as I was enjoying it, I think AoE individual actions need to give SP once, rather than have a chance of giving it each time it lands. This is why Jizzsprinkler was so awesome - the mages could frequently get 300 SP just from a single AoE heal.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:

Or it coudl just be the SP and party mechanics are totally crap and broken. :)

Going online shortly, if any LS sackholders see this please give me a /tell (Mist Walker)...I've got a list of you guys written down but without a Player Search feature my only recourse is the spam random /tells myself and see if anyone is online, which is kinda crappy. :(

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned: if you have horrible, horrible draw delays (like it takes literally minutes for NPC shopkeepers to spawn into an area) turn off Ambient Occlusion in the graphics settings. It's like night and day. Everything loads in seconds now and my controls don't lock up every time I change gear/teleport/change to passive mode. Running a 4870x2, and it was baaaad.

Mistwalker said:
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned: if you have horrible, horrible draw delays (like it takes literally minutes for NPC shopkeepers to spawn into an area) turn off Ambient Occlusion in the graphics settings. It's like night and day. Everything loads in seconds now and my controls don't lock up every time I change gear/teleport/change to passive mode. Running a 4870x2, and it was baaaad.
Ambient Occlusion is the one setting in FFXIV that kills ALL graphics cards. I don't think they make a graphics card able to run a smooth framerate in FFXIV with that turned on yet.

jiggle

Anyone know how faction points are awarded?
i know it's not affected by how many stars you pick
i thought it's based on the placement of the factions
lv20 leve
1st place - 4 points
2nd place -6 points
3rd place - 9 points

but i just did a leve from 2nd place faction and got 4 points
so now i'm confused...
does time left affect the points?

Dreamwriter said:
Ambient Occlusion is the one setting in FFXIV that kills ALL graphics cards. I don't think they make a graphics card able to run a smooth framerate in FFXIV with that turned on yet.
The thing is, is wasn't a framerate issue (though it runs like butter now with it off), the game was playable...but there was some kind of loading lag. I could run through cities at 45fps without a hitch, but there would be NO ONE in them unless I stopped walking and waited in a specific spot for a few minutes. Then slowly other players' models (and NPCs) would slowly spawn in. Very bizarre.

So no GAFFers on? Been slowly leveling my Conjurer, just hit 12 (go me!) and am gonna add Carpenter to Weaver as my preferred crafts.

What sucks is an amazingly nice player (thank you Black Taco!) was giving free Fang Earrings to new players in Gardinia, but now I can't repair them and have a permanent "Item Worn" icon. :lol <sigh>

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
Anyone know how faction points are awarded?
i know it's not affected by how many stars you pick
i thought it's based on the placement of the factions
lv20 leve
1st place - 4 points
2nd place -6 points
3rd place - 9 points

but i just did a leve from 2nd place faction and got 4 points
so now i'm confused...
does time left affect the points?

I thought it was just a set amount per leve? Faction credits are listed in the original listing towards the bottom, aren't they?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I was watching a live stream with commentary of this game and it made me want to play it SO badly. I love the idea of being able to switch classes at any time and level each one, then mixing and matching abilities across classes.

Kyoufu

sykoex said:
I was watching a live stream with commentary of this game and it made me want to play it SO badly. I love the idea of being able to switch classes at any time and level each one, then mixing and matching abilities across classes.

The class system is really really good. I just wish the SP system wasn't so broken, I want to rank up! :(

Awntawn

So it turns out YG's bazaar manager is awesome. My retainer's been cleaning out way fast ever since I started listing up my stuff :D Had someone even send me a tell looking for my retainer to buy up my +1 because they found it on the site.

panda21

why can't you buy this online? i'd probably have given in to my morbid curiosity by now and got it if you could.

an mmo that you can only buy on disc seems insane to me. i dont even have a dvd drive in my pc.

are they just waiting or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom