• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
panda21 said:
why can't you buy this online? i'd probably have given in to my morbid curiosity by now and got it if you could.

an mmo that you can only buy on disc seems insane to me. i dont even have a dvd drive in my pc.

Now THAT seems insane to me!

mileS

this is for Sumio Caixa
FFXIV_1286771620.jpg

Coldsnap

I'm trying to verify my character with yellow goblin, its telling me to enter a code into my biography on lodestone. Where exactly is my biography on that site, I cannot find it.

edit: nvm found it, not exactly sure where i went but got it due to clicking madly for 10mins

jiggle

Ravidrath said:
I thought it was just a set amount per leve? Faction credits are listed in the original listing towards the bottom, aren't they?

they're not
but after a lot of testing
i'm pretty sure it is based on faction placements now
the placements constantly changes, that's why i was getting all sorts of dif results

Jinko

Awntawn said:
So it turns out YG's bazaar manager is awesome. My retainer's been cleaning out way fast ever since I started listing up my stuff :D Had someone even send me a tell looking for my retainer to buy up my +1 because they found it on the site.

It's very good, its too bad that SE would never add an API so they could snoop peoples retainers in real time to give us a decent market place site.

Salaadin

Any of the other MRDs on gaf have issues with Disorient? Sometimes when I go to use it, my character just stands there, all other skills become greyed out and useless, and I wait a few seconds and nothing happens. The skill never goes off and eventually my other skills come back and Im able to attack again.

Sometimes it works as it should and other times it wont. Sometimes Ill try to stack it and itll work the first 2 times but never stack the third. It just doesnt work right.

Jinko

Just to follow up on the Bronze Celata and how its scaling.

Rank 18 - 151 - 177 + 26
Rank 19 - 156 - 183 + 27
Rank 20 - 160 - 188 + 28
Rank 21 - 169 - 198 + 29

Seems I'm gaining 1 def for every rank so far, even if this continues I will only reach 46 def from the helmet by rank 38, the item is 56 def @ rank 38.

Completely confused how they are scaling armor/weapons in this game.

I'm not even sure how damage effects gear.

Haint

Ravidrath said:
Well, like I said, one of the Gladiators was an idiot and didn't want to use a shield, so that wasn't helping.

But I think the definition of "needing too much healing" is just based on if you run out of MP before your MP restore ability is up.

Healing "too much" was the only way we could get SP at all - that's why the Sea Hare's "Jizzsprinkler" attack was the mages' favorite thing in the world.

I think the randomness is aimed at sort of giving the effect of XI's campaign exp. system, but maybe they just need to double or triple the chance of it happening while halving or thirding the SP gain from time it procs.

And, as much as I was enjoying it, I think AoE individual actions need to give SP once, rather than have a chance of giving it each time it lands. This is why Jizzsprinkler was so awesome - the mages could frequently get 300 SP just from a single AoE heal.

Upper level solo play for melee is designed around spamming high damage TP moves, killing the mob as fast as possible. Most high blues, greens, and yellows hit for 100-200+ (normal hits) and 300+ (TP), even with updated and repaired gear. It's very difficult to outlast that kind of damage with subbed healing abilites. This is why you almost never see melees soloing crabs. Party play against low defense mobs (like Squirrels) is designed around the same principle. Highest SP returns for most melees come from spamming TP moves. A TP move will return 2-3 times the SP (if it procs) versus a normal melee hit. When a mob dies in like 20 or 30 seconds, doubling the frequency of procs and reducing the value would probably work out to be against melees.

NeoForte

Well my spaces are maxing out on my character and retainer....can't seem to buy a new one either :/ Did SE say adding new retainers function will be introduced later?

Cathcart

Jinko said:
Seems I'm gaining 1 def for every rank so far, even if this continues I will only reach 46 def from the helmet by rank 38, the item is 56 def @ rank 38.
I think that makes sense. As you get closer to the optimal rank you start getting the benefits more quickly. Going from 36 to 37 should probably get you more than going from 21 to 22.

Londa said:
Got an iron needle hoping it will be great to use at rank 15 and come to find out its a rank 20+ needle. lol

My iron tool is better than the previous one @ rank 16 so you can use it now and not lose that much.

Londa

Banned
demosthenes said:
My iron tool is better than the previous one @ rank 16 so you can use it now and not lose that much.

ok, I'll give it a try. But I heard if you use items that are way above your rank you actually lose out on stats

Jinko

Cathcart said:
I think that makes sense. As you get closer to the optimal rank you start getting the benefits more quickly. Going from 36 to 37 should probably get you more than going from 21 to 22.

Yup, I'm guna keep a log of it all the way up to 38 and see exactly what happens.

Torquill

Jinko said:
Yup, I'm guna keep a log of it all the way up to 38 and see exactly what happens.
It may be that the stat loss is logorithmic as you move away from the optimal level. You lost stats faster at first then the rate of loss decreases as you get really far.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I want to buy the Pugilist guildmark ability "Prime Conditioning" to use with my marauder, but it's currently greyed out and I can't buy it. My PUG is only rank 10, so I guess I would have to level PUG to rank 20 first? Nooooooo!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Any of the other MRDs on gaf have issues with Disorient? Sometimes when I go to use it, my character just stands there, all other skills become greyed out and useless, and I wait a few seconds and nothing happens. The skill never goes off and eventually my other skills come back and Im able to attack again.

Sometimes it works as it should and other times it wont. Sometimes Ill try to stack it and itll work the first 2 times but never stack the third. It just doesnt work right.
Yeah, sometimes it'll just not work. Dunno why. Seems to happen during periods of lag and if I'm spamming moves.

Coldsnap

Rentahamster said:
I want to buy the Pugilist guildmark ability "Prime Conditioning" to use with my marauder, but it's currently greyed out and I can't buy it. My PUG is only rank 10, so I guess I would have to level PUG to rank 20 first? Nooooooo!

Thinking about this also... I'm wondering if I should do a few leves with my pug per update or so. I dont want to have to stop leveling MRD because having pug abilities makes MRD better.

Salaadin

Is the majority of gaf MRDs? We have so many. Represent!

My goal is to get it to 20 in the next day or so. How is our guild joining quest? Anything special?
EDIT: Any MRDs have major acc issues too? I pad my DEX with the points but still run into problems. Rank 20 leve, solo difficluty last night against evenfall fireflies and I missed 8 times in a row :|

Jinko

Fencer confirmed.

So I bought Pierce for my lancer with guild marks, and when I macro it comes up with this. (take note of the underlined text)

If i manually change it using the menu it comes up correctly.

ffxivgame20101011204359.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Is the majority of gaf MRDs? We have so many. Represent!

My goal is to get it to 20 in the next day or so. How is our guild joining quest? Anything special?
EDIT: Any MRDs have major acc issues too? I pad my DEX with the points but still run into problems. Rank 20 leve, solo difficluty last night against evenfall fireflies and I missed 8 times in a row :|
The MRD guild quest is ridiculous
ly easy

My stats priority right now is VIT>DEX>STR. Sitting on 1600HP :D

Currently have two silver rings and two brass ring +1s. Gonna eventually wear only 4 silver rings to give +16 accuracy.

Using a weapon appropriate for your rank also helps a lot with the accuracy.

Salaadin

Im rank 18. 2 Brass rings. Bronze Labrys.
Any other equips you reccomend? I have a lot of rank 19 gear on, ready for me to rank up. I wonder if its the best for my rank though. My eyepatch is rank 23. My shoes are rank 23.

I admit to kinda taking the easy way out with gear. Im trying to stay away from the shitty market so I do feel like Im settling some rather than seeking out what I really need. Here are my equips:

Body: Trappers Tunic
Legs: Cotton Kecks
hands: Dodoskin Bracers
Feet: Leather Shoes (Red)
Waist: Rope Belt
Head: Leather Eyepatch

SE should add automatic bazaar listing to the lodestone player sites along with some search/browse functions at the very least. I'm sure they could do it. Then implement this feature in-game, why not?

Torquill

Jinko said:
Fencer confirmed.

So I bought Pierce for my lancer with guild marks, and when I macro it comes up with this. (take note of the underlined text)

If i manually change it using the menu it comes up correctly.

ffxivgame20101011204359.jpg
Is it possible Fencer was changed to Lancer and they forgot to edit the text for that skill?

Cathcart

Rentahamster said:

Zam says the optimal rank is 30. I wonder how that works when you're playing other classes. So if you have PUG to 20 and you manage to get conditioning but then you use it on your marauder who is 30 will you get the full effect?

Obviously you don't get the full effect because when you use another class' ability it is reduced in some way. But would a 30 marauder whose PUG is 30 get more benefit than a 30 marauder whose PUG is only 20?

Jinko

Torquill said:
Is it possible Fencer was changed to Lancer and they forgot to edit the text for that skill?

Nope, the skills are totally seperate.

Lancer Pierce is rank 20, different text
Fencer Pierce is rank 1.

ffxivgame20101011212147.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cathcart said:
Zam says the optimal rank is 30. I wonder how that works when you're playing other classes. So if you have PUG to 20 and you manage to get conditioning but then you use it on your marauder who is 30 will you get the full effect?

Obviously you don't get the full effect because when you use another class' ability it is reduced in some way. But would a 30 marauder whose PUG is 30 get more benefit than a 30 marauder whose PUG is only 20?
Yeah, those are the things that I'm confused about, and I just won't know the answer until I bite the bullet and just test it out for myself.

The "optimal rank is 30" thing is confusing too because I'm only rank 24 and the supposedly rank 30 Marauder skill "Intimidation" is available for me to buy from the Marauder guild.

Cathcart

Well yeah, it's just optimal rank, not required rank. Same with leves that are available 7 ranks early and gear that's available...whenever? I'm really curious to see if higher rank gear will have rank limitations on it.

By the way, here's some questions about joining guilds that I can't find answers to anywhere else:

Do you have to finish the rank 20 story quest to join a guild or do you just go join a guild?
Can you join more than one guild?
What are the benefits of joining a guild? I hear there are guild quests. Are those like leves that you can do more than once or is it like a little mini storyline for the guild?

Mostly I'm wondering because I've seen a few rank 25 carpenter leves and so far none of them have awarded marks. So I'm wondering if crafting marks maybe come from guild quests or if I've just been really unlucky about getting leves with mark rewards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cathcart said:
Well yeah, it's just optimal rank, not required rank. Same with leves that are available 7 ranks early and gear that's available...whenever? I'm really curious to see if higher rank gear will have rank limitations on it.

By the way, here's some questions about joining guilds that I can't find answers to anywhere else:

Do you have to finish the rank 20 story quest to join a guild or do you just go join a guild?
Can you join more than one guild?
What are the benefits of joining a guild? I hear there are guild quests. Are those like leves that you can do more than once or is it like a little mini storyline for the guild?

Mostly I'm wondering because I've seen a few rank 25 carpenter leves and so far none of them have awarded marks. So I'm wondering if crafting marks maybe come from guild quests or if I've just been really unlucky about getting leves with mark rewards.
I believe you have to be at least rank 20 in that class to join its guild. You also need to have completed the rank 15 story quest.

The next class guild quest is not available until rank 30.

I don't see why you can't join more than one guild, but as for now, I haven't seen anyone with multiple classes leveled to rank 20.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Im rank 18. 2 Brass rings. Bronze Labrys.
Any other equips you reccomend?
Not really, just +acc rings and +dex gear.

Browse player bazaars whenever you're around camp or in town. Uldah has a lot of good player bazaars and so does the blacksmith/armory guild in Limsa.

Also, keep your weapon repaired above 50%. Below that, and you'll get an accuracy penalty.

If you see something for sale, just ask the LS in chat to see if that's a good price.

Spiked Bronze Labrys is rank 20, so you should work on getting that. At rank 18 I think it might already give better stats than the Bronze Labrys.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
I don't see why you can't join more than one guild, but as for now, I haven't seen anyone with multiple classes leveled to rank 20.

I have managed to join the alchemy and lancer guild with no problems.

So have factionleves just been rewarding people with onion equip?

It's completely random, rank 30 factions have:-Wood Wailers Jacket & Blackened Scale Mail

Although Wood Wailers Jacket could be from the lancer quest chain in the guild as I haven't seen anyone with it yet.

We will all be wanting this at rank cap Vintage Haubergeon :p

It seems most of the unique items are coming from faction leves, many of which are upgradable via crafting.

Ravidrath

I don't think there's any question that Fencer, Mystic and Shepherd are coming... they're likely the classes with Guilds in Ishgard.

I'm hoping we'll see Arcanist and Muskateer get added soon, since they have useless guilds in Limsa Lominsa at the moment. They suggested that they may be adding new classes in the first major update, and it would make sense for them to prioritize those two.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
I have managed to join the alchemy and lancer guild with no problems.

I have weaver at 15 but I want my main to be Mar. I can do the rank 15 with my weaver class and still be able to do the main quest with Mar?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
After we get through with this current set of leves, I want to do more party grinding testing. There are a few more spots that I saw in open beta that I think might be good for a 3-5 ppl party rank 20-ish.

We also need to discover more beastman and elemental spawn points for those rare item drops.

Jinko

Londa said:
I have weaver at 15 but I want my main to be Mar. I can do the rank 15 with my weaver class and still be able to do the main quest with Mar?

Joining the guild isn't part of the main quest line.

You can join a guild any time at Rank 20 as long as you have completed the rank 15 mission.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Another point I wanted to discuss: AoE moves and SP gain.

AoE moves are not good for SP gain when doing normal SP grinding. Only one mob at a time is "engaged" (i.e. name is red), so only that mob is giving you SP. The other mobs that you are damaging are not engaged (name is still yellow), so you don't get any SP procs from them. The only time I have ever seen normal mobs spawn as groups is when Magicked Bones spawn near Cedarwood at night.

During leves, groups of mobs all have their name turn red, so they are all eligible for SP proc on an AoE move.

I'm thinking that a good source of SP might be that Bloodshore "A Roseling by any other name" that spawns 5 weevils and 5 ladybugs at once. AoE nuke the crap out of them for good SP.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Joining the guild isn't part of the main quest line.

You can join a guild any time at Rank 20 as long as you have completed the rank 15 mission.

So I should wait on doing the mission until I'm rank 15 Mar, then join some guilds. Thanks

Kronotech

Ya know what I'm beginning to realize... in order to be the best you can be (no lol1ClassOnly), we need to level every single Class up to 50. We'll probably need multiple abilities from multiple classes in order to be competent for endgame.

That worries me a bit. Lots and lots of leveling classes you don't like just for an ability that is required to be more than subpar. I hope that isn't the case but every party I've been in so far has had at least one person stating to another "you need to get 2nd wind from PGL".

Rentahamster said:
Not really, just +acc rings and +dex gear.

Browse player bazaars whenever you're around camp or in town. Uldah has a lot of good player bazaars and so does the blacksmith/armory guild in Limsa.

Also, keep your weapon repaired above 50%. Below that, and you'll get an accuracy penalty.

If you see something for sale, just ask the LS in chat to see if that's a good price.

Spiked Bronze Labrys is rank 20, so you should work on getting that. At rank 18 I think it might already give better stats than the Bronze Labrys.

It does, ask Dega to make one for you.

TheFatOne

The grind in this game is starting to get to me. I basically spent all day today just to get from r13 to r14 armorer. I have to grind to get shards or I have to spend an hours in the wards looking for a retainer that sells them. I then have to make the same shitty thing over and over again for 2 hours.

Jinko

Crafting 101.

Find a wall put ya back against it and go into first person, when you begin to craft you get a great view of the orb.

ffxivgame20101012002122.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom