• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

sxexqq.png

suck it dega

Kronotech said:
Ya know what I'm beginning to realize... in order to be the best you can be (no lol1ClassOnly), we need to level every single Class up to 50. We'll probably need multiple abilities from multiple classes in order to be competent for endgame.

That worries me a bit. Lots and lots of leveling classes you don't like just for an ability that is required to be more than subpar. I hope that isn't the case but every party I've been in so far has had at least one person stating to another "you need to get 2nd wind from PGL".

You can get Second Wind by killing rats with a PUG and the starter weapon for about 1-2 hours to reach PUG 6. Same for getting yourself Cure, Stoneskin, and Shock Spikes by hitting CON 8.

TheFatOne said:
The grind in this game is starting to get to me. I basically spent all day today just to get from r13 to r14 armorer. I have to grind to get shards or I have to spend an hours in the wards looking for a retainer that sells them. I then have to make the same shitty thing over and over again for 2 hours.

I reached Goldsmith 14 almost exclusively by doing local leves in between epic large group battle leve runs.

If you CHOOSE to grind, that's your choice, but this game gives you other options for leveling crafts besides really making useless junk for hours on end and wasting money while doing it.

Cathcart

Fishy cave place we went the other day:

FishCavePlace.jpg

Some pics of Taka in punchy and carpenter mode, and one getting ready to cause some trouble with Lawn Mower, the fiercest archer of all of the My Neighbor Totoro girls.

CarpenterTaka.jpg

PuncherTaka.jpg

TakaLawn.jpg

Sewing is serious business :lol

My character has been feeling a lot stronger since I hit 21. I don't know if its due to being optimal rank for gear or picking up Firm Conviction but I seem to be able to take a hit a lot better. I was fighting thickshells in grid and they were only hitting me for 70ish while I was casting.

Wallach

SuperLurker said:
Sewing is serious business :lol
http://imgur.com/bFwYMl.jpghttp://imgur.com/XAzwml.jpg
http://imgur.com/F2dvNl.jpg

My character has been feeling a lot stronger since I hit 21. I don't know if its due to being optimal rank for gear or picking up Firm Conviction but I seem to be able to take a hit a lot better. I was fighting thickshells in grid and they were only hitting me for 70ish while I was casting.

Holy shit that last picture is awesome. :lol

Definitely a "YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP" moment.

zlatko

Banned
I shared two sort of hints/tips with my linkshell today I thought everyone was already aware of, but I figured I'd share them with Gaf too in case they didnt' know.

1) Crafting leves. If a crafting leve gives you 5 materials and wants you to make 3 materials you can craft a total of 5 times. So, even if you do 3 successful ones in a row, and are "done" with the leve requirements, you can still use up the extra 2 material batches it gave you to craft two more times for extra exp. Do not pass up this extra experience points. :)

2) Faction leves. You need 100 credits with a faction standing to do a faction leve for them. When you pick a normal leve look near the bottom of it at the guild counter NPC before you accept it. It should say which faction it belongs to. If it's NOT the kind you want, say you are at 80 for Horn and Hand but the leve is Azeyama Shields, well just don't accept the leve, then go back in to reaccept, it should have changed.

Using that method you should be able to get 8 leves every 36hrs towards faction leves you want, instead of splitting up randomly and taking a much longer time to reach the 100.

I'm not sure if either of these two things are actually bugs or oversights by SquareEnix, but make use of them. :D

mileS

Jinko said:
Crafting 101.

Find a wall put ya back against it and go into first person, when you begin to craft you get a great view of the orb.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/714/ffxivgame20101012002122.jpg

Yea i found a spot in Grid today where the gate is up north where nothing is. Not like fps matters much for crafting but i was getting a good 50-60 in the empty spot compared to 19-25 in the busy areas of town.

rank30 behest was a blast! Also had fun testing out some of the r30 leves (gonna be a couple days before we figure out how many stars to pick for each one) . All in all a really fun night and we got a lot accomplished (super secret party grind spot ftw!).

So a group of us went exploring near Gridania. A long time before the current city-states of Eorzea were founded, the Ixal beastmen built a flourishing civilization which suddenly vanished without a trace. They left behind strange step pyraminds, various artifacts, and a famous calendar which states that the world will end in the year 2012. We found such an artifact but unfortunately were unable to locate either Indiana Jones or Lara Croft, so the meaning of this mysterious statue will remain, well, mysterious.

statue.jpg

Unfortunately a number of us ran into a series of elaborate booby traps, including rolling giant stone boulders, floor plates which triggered poison arrows shooting out of the walls, and chambers which sealed shut and filled with sand. Only a few of us made it out of there alive.

sit.jpg

Jinko

zlatko said:
2) Faction leves. You need 100 credits with a faction standing to do a faction leve for them. When you pick a normal leve look near the bottom of it at the guild counter NPC before you accept it. It should say which faction it belongs to. If it's NOT the kind you want, say you are at 80 for Horn and Hand but the leve is Azeyama Shields, well just don't accept the leve, then go back in to reaccept, it should have changed.

That good and bad, SE said something about certain factions providing better rewards in an effort to encourage us to do their leves.

What you suggest is good for gaining faction points but no point if the reward ends up being only 6k gill.

Oh, right, somehow during that rank 30 behest we did in the Nanawa Mines, we managed to get a full party of 15 people because of the 3 random guys from another LS we picked up who were hanging out there doing their own leves. Full party is best party! :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Great pictures. They only display my biggest complaint about the classes in full force though: These classes don't feel very "Final Fantasy" to me at all. FFXI captured them perfectly. The art design, while good, really guts any iconic look or feel up to this point. =/

Cathcart

Yep, yep, good times, good times. Looks like you guys had a night almost as good as mine. I...uh...made some tiny shoes for Jinko. But hey Indiana Jones adventure sounds pretty good, too.

Kintaro said:
Great pictures. They only display my biggest complaint about the classes in full force though: These classes don't feel very "Final Fantasy" to me at all. FFXI captured them perfectly. The art design, while good, really guts any iconic look or feel up to this point. =/

Yea...this is one thing that I miss so far from XI...

Salaadin

I think thats mostly due to the lacking gear choices right now though. I dont remember any of the jobs early on in FFXI having a distinct look to them. Everyone wore the same doublets, subligars, harnesses, and robes just like we have here.

Later on in level, they definitely started to look different...especially after AF.

Salaadin said:
I think thats mostly due to the lacking gear choices right now though. I dont remember any of the jobs early on in FFXI having a distinct look to them. Everyone wore the same doublets, subligars, harnesses, and robes just like we have here.

Later on in level, they definitely started to look different...especially after AF.

Yea, this is what I'm hoping for, that yea they might not be FFish but they'll at least be distinct later on in the ranks.

Kintaro

Salaadin said:

I disagree. Even early on in levels, FFXI jobs felt like FF jobs. Sure a THF and a MNK both wore a doublet, but you could definitely tell which was which immediately.

We have datamined gear all the way to the level cap. They all blend together pretty well and don't branch off in distinctive ways. Yeah, there's no AF yet, but who says there will be?

Salaadin

Kintaro said:
I disagree. Even early on in levels, FFXI jobs felt like FF jobs. Sure a THF and a MNK both wore a doublet, but you could definitely tell which was which immediately.

We have datamined gear all the way to the level cap. They all blend together pretty well and don't branch off in distinctive ways. Yeah, there's no AF yet, but who says there will be?

I dont know. One of my complaints about FFXI was that everyone looked the same. Im not sure how you could tell a different but I sure as hell couldnt without checking them. Weapons didnt even matter in FFXI has sometimes youd have jobs mix and matching weapons. In XIV, at least you can look immediately and see Axe=MRD, h2h = PUG, etc.

I do think Ive strayed off of your original point though. They dont feel very Final Fantasy. Even if they implement AF and such, we probably arent going to get the same look that everyone loves. No RDM pimp hats or anything like that. Thats kinda discouraging.

Kintaro

Salaadin said:
I dont know. One of my complaints about FFXI was that everyone looked the same. Im not sure how you could tell a different but I sure as hell couldnt without checking them. Weapons didnt even matter in FFXI has sometimes youd have jobs mix and matching weapons. In XIV, at least you can look immediately and see Axe=MRD, h2h = PUG, etc.

I do think Ive strayed off of your original point though. They dont feel very Final Fantasy. Even if they implement AF and such, we probably arent going to get the same look that everyone loves. No RDM pimp hats or anything like that. Thats kinda discouraging.

If one were to do a flat comparison at the half way point of your job in FFXI compared to the halfway point in FFXIV, you definitely knew which job was which in FFXI.

Also, SP bug aside, being a DoM in FFXIV must be annoying as fuck because once you enter a party, it seems that you're a healer/buffer. Otherwise, your party isn't going to last very long since everyone else is probably melee. :lol

Didn't think I saw this...

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/11/nycc-2010-our-interview-with-ffxivs-sage-sundi-and-yasu-kurosa/

Sundi and Kurosawa both mentioned that while they want to improve the interface on the PC, they also need to make sure that the interface works for both PCs and the PS3, which means that there are limited options for how many changes they can make. Balancing the needs of both systems leads to certain compromises.

And the complaints about the game are not falling upon deaf ears. The number one complaint that the team has heard is about the user interface, and that is the current top priority for the team. Performance-smoothing is next on the list, followed by content and new features. Each team is working on the game to improve it, and every piece of feedback is being compiled worldwide and taken into account for development.

As a last thought, Kurosawa stressed again that Square-Enix is really doing its best to listen to player voices and communicate everything to the development team. Sundi also stated that the game is still being worked on and improved, but with an eye toward preserving the unique elements that mark it as part of the Final Fantasy series. The game isn't designed to be like World of Warcraft, and the development team is working hard to make it an excellent game on its own merits while allowing it to stand distinct from the crowd.

Effect

In the end it still doesn't explain why the UI is so bad in the first place when they clearly made one before with FFXI where it was designed for both PS2 and PC users. Sorry but that the UI is the way it is means to me that no one developing the game actually sat and played what they were creating. Concerns from testers be damned. If they had they'd at least have changed it because they themselves didn't find it good enough.

Anyway, is there any word on when the next patch/maintenance will be? Or is there a normal schedule?

gillty

Banned
Why doesn't he just admit the PC interface was butchered for the PS3 version. I think when you ignore the mouse a cornerstone of GUI development on PC's since the original Macintosh you've gone past compromise.

Cathcart

Effect said:
Sorry but that the UI is the way it is means to me that no one developing the game actually sat and played what they were creating.

A lot of people are saying this and I think the obvious conclusion is that it's dead on. Not because SE didn't play their own game or test it, but because SE didn't write most of it. Shipping the design to China and letting them write it is such a fitting explanation because, as you said, it's really difficult to believe that SE wrote a game this way. It's much more likely that they got back this bug riddled mess and are now rewriting/customizing it which is taking a long time because the offshore team did a great job of messing it up to begin with.

Happens all the time in software development. Management wants to "save money" by shipping the work offshore and then the developers are sitting there afterward saying "why the hell didn't they just let us write it in the first place?" :lol

Torquill

Sundi and Kurosawa both mentioned...they need to make sure that the interface works for both PCs and the PS3....
Grade A Bullshit. Why? Why do the PC and PS3 clients, two separate pieces of software, need to have the same interface?

Kronotech

Unknown Soldier said:
You can get Second Wind by killing rats with a PUG and the starter weapon for about 1-2 hours to reach PUG 6. Same for getting yourself Cure, Stoneskin, and Shock Spikes by hitting CON 8.

I'm not talking about low level abilities. I'm talking about level 20-30+ abilities. It just makes me think of FFXI when you had to have certain subjobs leveled up. That wasn't such a big deal due to the need to only get it to 37 (before the lvl cap rising). In this case, it may be expected to have PUG 30 Ability for MRD and so on since there is no ability level cap.

I don't know, I'm probably just crying wolf. I just don't want those kinds of "leet" demands for endgame.

Effect

Cathcart said:
A lot of people are saying this and I think the obvious conclusion is that it's dead on. Not because SE didn't play their own game or test it, but because SE didn't write most of it. Shipping the design to China and letting them write it is such a fitting explanation because, as you said, it's really difficult to believe that SE wrote a game this way. It's much more likely that they got back this bug riddled mess and are now rewriting/customizing it which is taking a long time because the offshore team did a great job of messing it up to begin with.

Happens all the time in software development. Management wants to "save money" by shipping the work offshore and then the developers are sitting there afterward saying "why the hell didn't they just let us write it in the first place?" :lol

I hadn't considered that. This makes some of the Japanese comments complaining about the characters (language wise) that showed up in the Japanese version actually being Chinese make more sense. The Made in China comments in some Amazon.com reviews as well. That didn't click for some reason until now. That's weird that the code of all things would be farmed out. Sound, art, and maybe production of the actual dvds sure. Actual coding?

Anyway there is no reason why the PC and PS3 versions can't have different interfaces. There is no PvP taking place where one side would have an unfair advantage that I know of. If you had two interfaces that were designed well no reason why they bought couldn't be good and allow two different type of players to response just as quickly to situations if they were grouped.

Effect said:
I hadn't considered that. This makes some of the Japanese comments complaining about the characters (language wise) that showed up in the Japanese version actually being Chinese make more sense. The Made in China comments in some Amazon.com reviews as well. That didn't click for some reason until now. That's weird that the code of all things would be farmed out. Sound, art, and maybe production of the actual dvds sure. Actual coding?

Anyway there is no reason why the PC and PS3 versions can't have different interfaces. There is no PvP taking place where one side would have an unfair advantage that I know of. If you had two interfaces that were designed well no reason why they bought couldn't be good and allow two different type of players to response just as quickly to situations if they were grouped.

FFXI had PVP, why would you think this won't have PVP eventually?

Kronotech said:
I'm not talking about low level abilities. I'm talking about level 20-30+ abilities. It just makes me think of FFXI when you had to have certain subjobs leveled up. That wasn't such a big deal due to the need to only get it to 37 (before the lvl cap rising). In this case, it may be expected to have PUG 30 Ability for MRD and so on since there is no ability level cap.

I don't know, I'm probably just crying wolf. I just don't want those kinds of "leet" demands for endgame.
Those "requirements" were all dumb anyways. I played my character how I wanted, I subbed SMN with my BLM. If you don't want to go to all that work to make your character the best possible character type the game possibly allows, then don't. It means you won't have access to the most elitist parties, darn.

Kronotech said:

Well the good news this game isn't nearly as hardcore as FFXI in the party requirements department. If anything the actual killing of mobs is laughably easy, comparable to WoW if our performance with a bunch of rank 18-23 players in a rank 30 behest last night is any indication. At least so far it's nothing like FFXI where you had to have the exact job and subjob, exact gear, exact skills, and exact reputation on the server to even get in a decent party unless you were a Bard in which case WOO HOO. At least in FFXIV, if you've got a basic melee tank who isn't completely stupid and can taunt on demand, a healer who knows how to spam AoE heals, and a couple of guys who can mash 1111111111111111111 to damage the mob, you're pretty much set from what I've seen. And party size is up to 15 now, so you can have 5 tanks and 5 healers if you want and have 2 tanks per mob.

Xilium

Torquill said:
Grade A Bullshit. Why? Why do the PC and PS3 clients, two separate pieces of software, need to have the same interface?

I do believe the developers intended the game to be played with a controller, even PC players, which explains why the interface is set up the way it is.

And for what its worth, I actually prefer playing XIV with a controller.

Sort of veering off-topic, but the "Made In China" crap pisses me off. Not because there isn't some validity to it. Developers do outsource coding all the time I'm sure. It's just the usual tone of japanese internet users toward China and its people that gets under my skin. Why does Japan get a pass on being ethnocentric, xenophobic assholes all the time?

Effect said:
Sorry but that the UI is the way it is means to me that no one developing the game actually sat and played what they were creating. Concerns from testers be damned. If they had they'd at least have changed it because they themselves didn't find it good enough.
The interface wouldn't be bad at all if there was no lag. Might be a bit clunky, but would be perfectly usable. And that's the problem - the developers and their main testers before beta had no lag, because they are testing with servers that are in the same building. Then when the beta launched and complaints started pouring in, it's obvious that their first response was "Oh shit, let's get rid of as much lag as possible!" That's why when the game launched, the lag got WAY better, but the interface stayed the same.

If they weren't so obsessive about keeping the exact same experience across all platforms we'd have a better game already. Hell, that's the whole reason they nipped the ffxiv windower in the bud before it took root I'm sure. If that windower had been allowed to exist, we would already be seeing plugins that would likely improve the game a ton.

Hopefully this update comes soon, and hopefully for SE's sake it fixes a lot of stuff.

Dreamwriter said:
The interface wouldn't be bad at all if there was no lag. Might be a bit clunky, but would be perfectly usable. And that's the problem - the developers and their main testers before beta had no lag, because they are testing with servers that are in the same building. Then when the beta launched and complaints started pouring in, it's obvious that their first response was "Oh shit, let's get rid of as much lag as possible!" That's why when the game launched, the lag got WAY better, but the interface stayed the same.

I don't mind a bit clunky. But clunky stuff like this has to go:

-no sortable inventory
-or if for some reason they're against that, then when i select a head piece to equip/unequip only allow head pieces to be shown.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
careksims said:
Full 15 party Rank 30 Behest in the mines. A crazy and epic mess XD
ffxivgame2010-10-1201-20-23-95A.jpg
I think the limited chat window in that screenshot kinda shows how too much healing can be detrimental for mages' SP gain if there are too many. We had a lot of mages who were sharing the healing load so I don't think many of them got good SP since a lot of times they were healing for 0HP which doesn't proc skill gains. In these situations you gotta just turn on AoE nuke and go to town.

Contrast that rank 30 behest with the rank 20 behest we did an hour later at Horizon - Elly was the only CON in the group and she said she got at least 2K SP from that leve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom