• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torquill

Xilium said:
I do believe the developers intended the game to be played with a controller, even PC players, which explains why the interface is set up the way it is.

And for what its worth, I actually prefer playing XIV with a controller.
They can intend all they want. That doesn't explain their comment that they HAVE to be the same. Making console buy keyboards makes more sense anyway since you need one to chat.

Pvp is also a weak excuse. Having separate interfaces would be MORE fair. Each has a strong interface for it's system. The kind of differences we're talking about wouldn't affect fairness in any significant way.

I know the answer. Thy don't want to have to deal with the organizational implications of supporting two interfaces. Your ui is gimpu because SE doesn't feel like dealing with it. It's that simple.

Also, the UI problems in 14 go beyond needing a controller. Even with a controller the design of the ability assignment menu is quantitatively bad.

Effect

I've been playing with a Xbox 360 controller and even with that the UI isn't that good. It takes a combination of both the controller and the keyboard and mouse for me to do things without getting to frustrated at times. Even then that doesn't always work. It's annoying that I have to slow my reactions and movement down to a crawl because the UI can't keep up. I don't know how some others are able to do it and not have it drive them crazy.

Jinko

I have all but had it with this game.

So many bugs and glitches still and its ridiculous.

The way SP is awarded is bullshit !!

Mobs reset and completely heal!

Mobs do crazy TP attacks which can wipe you out in one hit !

Bat mobs leech more life than you can possibly deal !

It's just such a complete mess, its guna take a miracle patch for these issues to be sorted.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

It's just such a complete mess, its guna take a miracle patch for these issues to be sorted.
Stop soloing and come party with us! Kicking the crap outta magicked bones and elementals is fun!

Effect said:
I've been playing with a Xbox 360 controller and even with that the UI isn't that good. It takes a combination of both the controller and the keyboard and mouse for me to do things without getting to frustrated at times. Even then that doesn't always work. It's annoying that I have to slow my reactions and movement down to a crawl because the UI can't keep up. I don't know how some others are able to do it and not have it drive them crazy.

Because they're calm, patient, rational people? A quickly shrinking sub-group among gamers of late?

It is a bit clunky and some improvements are on the way, but it's nowhere near enough to "drive me crazy" even as it is right now.

Jinko said:

Or, ya know, several patches? Which tend to be quite frequent for the first few months after an MMO launch?

Cathcart

Effect said:
I hadn't considered that. This makes some of the Japanese comments complaining about the characters (language wise) that showed up in the Japanese version actually being Chinese make more sense. The Made in China comments in some Amazon.com reviews as well. That didn't click for some reason until now. That's weird that the code of all things would be farmed out. Sound, art, and maybe production of the actual dvds sure. Actual coding?
Sure, why not? Square's strengths are graphics, sound and story. The whole point of offshoring stuff is that you focus on what you're good at and let someone else handle the rest.

That's the idea, anyway. It never works :lol It's not a racism thing, it's just that when the people who are writing such a complex piece of software are so far removed from all of the people who designed it (and the language barrier really doesn't help) you end up with this junky software that you spend months or years fixing. It's bad enough when it happens at work, now I have to come home to it in my video game :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Wow at his DEX results in not having a huge difference when doubling his DEX, really want to see if that changes for a non ranged person.
He probably hit the DEX stat cap for his rank. At rank 14, it is something like rank*2 + 30 or something like that which would put his DEX cap at 58, and which is why he didn't see any acc gains from 60dex to 80dex.

Also, archer acc might have something to do with distance to the mob as well.

Rentahamster said:
He probably hit the DEX stat cap for his rank. At rank 14, it is something like rank*2 + 30 or something like that which would put his DEX cap at 58, and which is why he didn't see any acc gains from 60dex to 80dex.

Also, archer acc might have something to do with distance to the mob as well.

Yeah, I didn't think it made sense to be testing with archer and saying it applies to all other damage dealers when their primary attack is ranged. Really want to see his other tests.

And where did you get that cap number from?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Yeah, I didn't think it made sense to be testing with archer and saying it applies to all other damage dealers when their primary attack is ranged. Really want to see his other tests.

And where did you get that cap number from?
I remember reading it somewhere on a forum. Dunno how accurate it is, but in this case, it fits.

Salaadin

I remember that image that SE put together depicting the distance that each job should stand.

EDIT: removed image, looks like a scan, not sure if allowed.

I wonder if thats where some of my accuracy issues stem from. Most of the time, my MRD is within humping distance of the mob.

Salaadin said:
I remember this image SE put together:

http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/159900.jpg[img]

[url]http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=21841[/url]

I wonder if thats where some of my accuracy issues stem from. Most of the time, my MRD is within humping distance of the mob.[/QUOTE]

At first I was like...wow, we only have 7 jobs to work with. Then I remembered that XI launched with just 6. By the time we got the game they added 3 more to 9 and then SMN was added in a version update to 10.

Random leve question for you guys.

I had a local leve that I was failing. 5 tries, had to turn in 3, failed the first 3 so I said screw it and teled to Gridania (my plan after the leve). Today @ 8pm when they reset will it still be in my log or could I get 8 new leves?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Random leve question for you guys.

I had a local leve that I was failing. 5 tries, had to turn in 3, failed the first 3 so I said screw it and teled to Gridania (my plan after the leve). Today @ 8pm when they reset will it still be in my log or could I get 8 new leves?
They will still be there. That's why if you fail a level with a good reward, just wait for the reset and do it again.

Rentahamster said:
They will still be there. That's why if you fail a level with a good reward, just wait for the reset and do it again.

Can I get rid of it? It's rank 20 @ horizon I think and I don't think i'll be able to do that with regular support for at least another 1 to 2 ranks :|

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Oh, didn't know you could exchange crafting leves :lol

I dont think you can. In my experiences, its stuck there unless you pass/fail it. The crafting NPC has never given me the option to exchange.

Zomba13

Anyone seen the stuff in the new fansite kit?
Amaljüfaa Flag and Imperial Flag (Will upload if anyone wants to see)
Bunch of NPC pics, guild icons and some nice renders of the races (which if they had a male lala I would make my avatar)

Salaadin said:
I dont think you can. In my experiences, its stuck there unless you pass/fail it. The crafting NPC has never given me the option to exchange.

Yea I thought so too...ugh so I'm stuck with this one? :(

Yea, the NPC says something like "you're not allowed anymore this period", now that I think about it.

blitz64

I'm in limsa starting city. There's a level 1 camp and level 10 camp. Is there a level 20 camp? Just wondering where I should be going to level up after level 13+.

Jinko

HappyBivouac said:
Or, ya know, several patches? Which tend to be quite frequent for the first few months after an MMO launch?

Yea perhaps if we weren't talking about SE.

Anyways cancled my subsciption they have to the end of my free month.

Teknoman

Effect said:

What do you need the keyboard and mouse for when using a controller? The only thing the keyboard is really useful for with a controller is to: Zoom in/out, chat, and press U for the item menu shortcut.

Mouse is unnecessary if you're playing with just a controller. D-pad is used target/move through menus.

EDIT: Sage Sundi is the community guy for NA, but where does he find all the community info? Zam, xivcore, or eorzeapedia? Really should get a neogaf account too.

Londa

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Anyone seen the stuff in the new fansite kit?
Amaljüfaa Flag and Imperial Flag (Will upload if anyone wants to see)
Bunch of NPC pics, guild icons and some nice renders of the races (which if they had a male lala I would make my avatar)

Is this on the lodestone?

mileS

I've come to notice that the new "mob reset and heal" bug usually only happens when you don't fight the mob right on top of where it spawned or where it walks around. One example is fighting crabs in a river. If somebody in the group is doing ranged dmg away from the river it has a high chance of resetting and healing. Another would be if somebody pulled said crab about 10-15 feet away from the river he paths he will most likely run back and heal a bit.

I'm having trouble understanding what problems people still have with how SP is dished out. I get plenty when i'm solo and since the patch I usually get a full rank and a half from 2 camps worth of leves in a big group. I can't speak for the magic classes but I honestly don't know the problem people are still having with this. Maybe people expect the same SP everytime from killing the same type of mob. Sometimes you get 80 other times you get 2-300. From the group testing we did its all even in the end. (yes i'm aware that sometimes you still get 0)

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Mouse is unnecessary if you're playing with just a controller. D-pad is used target/move through menus.

Dpad is many times slower than using mouse or pressing number keys though.

Atrus

Gold Member
Started doing the level 30 leves yesterday. Still fairly easy at 1 star, but the Necrologos leves appear to be a little more interesting.

It looks like marks are awarded based on the classes you have that are within 10 levels of the leve rank.

So while I have tons of LNC, MRD, ARC, and PUG marks from rank 20 leves, the level 30 leves will only give out only PUG marks, at least from what I've seen thus far.

With so much gil though, gil is becoming rapidly worthless as a long-term currency.

mileS said:
I've come to notice that the new "mob reset and heal" bug usually only happens when you don't fight the mob right on top of where it spawned or where it walks around. One example is fighting crabs in a river. If somebody in the group is doing ranged dmg away from the river it has a high chance of resetting and healing. Another would be if somebody pulled said crab about 10-15 feet away from the river he paths he will most likely run back and heal a bit.

I'm having trouble understanding what problems people still have with how SP is dished out. I get plenty when i'm solo and since the patch I usually get a full rank and a half from 2 camps worth of leves in a big group. I can't speak for the magic classes but I honestly don't know the problem people are still having with this.
Picking up and completing 4 R20 levequests per timeslice (plus the leves the rest of my party has picked up), I've gained roughly a rank in the last week. Whee~ (R12/13 Lancer during this time)

Atrus

Gold Member
mileS said:
I'm having trouble understanding what problems people still have with how SP is dished out. I get plenty when i'm solo and since the patch I usually get a full rank and a half from 2 camps worth of leves in a big group. I can't speak for the magic classes but I honestly don't know the problem people are still having with this.

I duo with my brother to level. We went from an 8000 SP gap to over 20,000SP gap based on how erratic and how damage based SP is.

We tried parties of 3 with a Conj, but they get even less SP. My brother's MRD got 411SP off a mob in a rank 30 leve, I got 80, and the lower level Conjurer got 10.

Even with 2 players of the same physical and job rank, the same enemy type will yield results from 42 and 24 in one fight to 310 and 80 in another. If you're unlucky and you kill it fast enough (ie. if you chain), you might get none.

I actually have to tell my brother not to WS spam mobs because while it leads to him having more SP, it reduces it for everyone else.

Since Pugs proc based on hits and the SP gains are less than from Axes or Lances, I need to either land more hits in or also resort to WS spam. Unfortunately, since I have to do the tanking, I need to use other abilities which cut down on my ability to spam WS's, which in the end reduces my overall SP gain.

It should also be noted that we only fight mobs that are Green to Red solo. Currently I have to solo just to close the SP gap so that we don't get too far apart in ranks.

Jinko

Yea me Kassah, Doctor Dogg and Kasumi were fighting Island crabs outside mistbeard.

SP gains were all over the place, I took the time to add the resluts up and divide it by 4 and for most fights we would be getting close to 200 each if the XP was distributed evenly.

Sadly its so random though which makes the game frustrating to play in parties.

Effect

Teknoman said:
What do you need the keyboard and mouse for when using a controller? The only thing the keyboard is really useful for with a controller is to: Zoom in/out, chat, and press U for the item menu shortcut.

EDIT: Sage Sundi is the community guy for NA, but where does he find all the community info? Zam, xivcore, or eorzeapedia? Really should get a neogaf account too.

Using the dpad in battle has gotten me killed a few times due to it being slow. It's much quicker simply pressing the number keys to issue attack commands. The mouse is quicker for deselecting and selecting targets, especially when dealing with targets that make up more then one enemy. Movement on the other hand is easier once the controller is mapped. So as a result a combination of both is what I use as no single method works well enough for me.

Jinko said:

Jinko said:

Remember that conversation we had, what was it, Saturday? Sunday? You were complaining in the LS chat about something I mentioned somewhat flippantly that you should try not being antisocial in an MMOG and come party with us. We were running rank 20 leves as usual and you dismissed our offer and declared that you can't stand groups. Well, maybe if you weren't so antisocial and solo all the time you'd actually discover how fun this game actually is. All the things you complained about are a pain in the ass when you're solo but they're often pretty damned funny in a group of guys just fucking around and not taking everything too seriously.

But I guess you've made your choice already anyways.

Jinko said:
Yea me Kassah, Doctor Dogg and Kasumi were fighting Island crabs outside mistbeard.

SP gains were all over the place, I took the time to add the resluts up and divide it by 4 and for most fights we would be getting close to 200 each if the XP was distributed evenly.

SP is just fine in a large enough party. Squenix has done a lot of work to fix party SP and it actually seems to work as intended. We did a marathon leve-grouping and grinding session yesterday, with party size anywhere from 7 to 15, and at the end of the night I had completely gained all the SP for rank 22 and half of the SP needed for rank 23 archer. It's all about just playing the game and not obsessing about how big the numbers are popping up in the message window.
I know, I know, I'm a fucking huntard, me telling people not to obsess about big numbers is the pot calling the kettle black.
But I think you are really looking for issues where there aren't any. It doesn't help that Doctor Dogg also complains constantly about SP and Kasumi actually ditched one of our leve groups after 1 leve the other day because he wasn't getting enough SP after just 1 leve. Even though that day I gained ranks 20 and 21 by the time we were finished doing all our leves in all 3 towns and had a lot of fun, as usual.

hgplayer1

Effect said:
Using the dpad in battle has gotten me killed a few times due to it being slow. It's much quicker simply pressing the number keys to issue attack commands. The mouse is quicker for deselecting and selecting targets, especially when dealing with targets that make up more then one enemy. Movement on the other hand is easier once the controller is mapped. So as a result a combination of both is what I use as no single method works well enough for me.

agreed. At times Ill actually be holding my 360 controller in one hand pressing A button to do my light slash repeatedly, while using the keyboard to activate guard and weapon skills and buffs. If I have to pack it up and run its controller all the way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Can I get rid of it? It's rank 20 @ horizon I think and I don't think i'll be able to do that with regular support for at least another 1 to 2 ranks :|
You could get the materials, then got to the guild and get master support.

Unknown Soldier said:
SP is just fine in a large enough party. Squenix has done a lot of work to fix party SP and it actually seems to work as intended. We did a marathon leve-grouping and grinding session yesterday, with party size anywhere from 7 to 15, and at the end of the night I had completely gained all the SP for rank 22 and half of the SP needed for rank 23 archer. It's all about just playing the game and not obsessing about how big the numbers are popping up in the message window.
I know, I know, I'm a fucking huntard, me telling people not to obsess about big numbers is the pot calling the kettle black.
But I think you are really looking for issues where there aren't any. It doesn't help that Doctor Dogg also complains constantly about SP and Kasumi actually ditched one of our leve groups after 1 leve the other day because he wasn't getting enough SP after just 1 leve. Even though that day I gained ranks 20 and 21 by the time we were finished doing all our leves in all 3 towns and had a lot of fun, as usual.
Sorry, but you're wrong. It's incredibly demoralizing to see someone at your rank gain two or three ranks in a session while you still haven't gained any. It's simply broken.

TheFatOne

Man are dodos the only way for wind shards? I'm trying to get r20 armorer and the only thing that is holding me back is my lack of shards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Jinko said:

I think that has something to do with how there isn't any party level disparity, but there is.

Kessah is rank 26 and would be doing way more damage than dogg or kas, which would lead to some disparity. The Island Crab also doesn't do enough damage to the party overall to make Dogg's healing give enough SP, and it's too high level compared to Dogg's rank 13 CON for Dogg to be able to make that up with damage against the crab. I also don't think Dogg has any debuffs equipped, so there's another source of SP that is gone.

As far as I can tell, mages have 3 separate totals for SP that they can see at the end, compared to a melee who only sees one total SP readout at the end (the one that is proportional to his damage done during the battle).

A mage's SP readout looks something like this, no?

You defeated the Island Crab
You gained 250 exp
You gained 75 SP (damage)
You gained 50 SP (healing/buffing during battle)
You gained 80 SP (debuffing)

Mages get shafted when you fight something too high level (that doesn't have AoE attacks) since their damage output is lowered and constantly nuking would be a waste of MP).

jiggle

at what rank/level do you get access to 4th sets of battle leve?
i'm 22/30 now and didn't see them yesterday..
i recall in CB3, i got cassiopia/cedarwood by that time

RocketDarkness said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. It's incredibly demoralizing to see someone at your rank gain two or three ranks in a session while you still haven't gained any. It's simply broken.

yeah
i pretty much stop joining pt now
felt like i'm there to PL instead of actually being part of the pt
way more productive to use that time to farm or craft
i have to hide after flagging behest just to avoid blind invites

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
They still have a point, though. The lower ranking members of a party are at a disadvantage since they can't keep up with the damage output of the higher ranking members. I noticed your SP gain improved a lot once you got access to Multishot and Quick Nock, since those moves do lots of damage.

I have a feeling that we need to rework the way we handle our battle tactics in order to give the lower ranks more opportunities to proc SP gain, such as: instead of zerg rushing one mob at a time, spread out so that the lower members have more chances to hit the mobs. For example, instead of having all 10 pt members gang up on one Dodo, kill it, then move on to the second dodo in that group, have 5 take on one dodo, and the other 5 take on the other dodo.

I want to gather all the LS members again for another rank 30 behest and test some things out. We may see lots of SP gains or not, but at the very least, it'll be fun.

We really gotta make the game fun using the social aspect, despite all of SE's fuckups. The only reason I even bother giving this game a chance is so I can fuck around with all of you.

It's really hard to find the right combination of factors to make mage SP work in a party. The other day, Trei and I were duoing, and he got around 8,000SP in 2 or 3 hours.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey, King Rat!

Are you able to make Rabbit Pie, Marmot Steak, Jerked Beef, or any kind of meat dishes?

If so I'd like to order a fuckton, please.

Also a note to the other meleeers out there: You may want to try respeccing and put your points in VIT and DEX. Fuck STR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom