• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awntawn

Rentahamster said:
Hey, King Rat!

Are you able to make Rabbit Pie, Marmot Steak, Jerked Beef, or any kind of meat dishes?

If so I'd like to order a fuckton, please.

Also a note to the other meleeers out there: You may want to try respeccing and put your points in VIT and DEX. Fuck STR.
I hear VIT stops giving HP at 80

So how useful is food in this game? ;o

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
Remember that conversation we had, what was it, Saturday? Sunday? You were complaining in the LS chat about something I mentioned somewhat flippantly that you should try not being antisocial in an MMOG and come party with us. We were running rank 20 leves as usual and you dismissed our offer and declared that you can't stand groups. Well, maybe if you weren't so antisocial and solo all the time you'd actually discover how fun this game actually is. All the things you complained about are a pain in the ass when you're solo but they're often pretty damned funny in a group of guys just fucking around and not taking everything too seriously.

But I guess you've made your choice already anyways.

Are you kidding me .. ?

I don't just solo, thing is you haven't partied with me because you aren't on the same times as I play, I am happy to group up to a maximum of 5 or 6 people but don't like the 15 man clusterfucks that some of you enjoy.

Thats not antisocial.

Edit:- Also lets not forget that when you guys start your leves its 4am here.

You sure its not 80 at a specific level ?

On a side note I "soloed" in cassy today and gained 10k in about 1.5 hours on jellyfish, I prefer to duo or trio generally but when me and kess grouped up the mobs were either blue or red there was nothing inbetween.

Completely lame.

Sorry, but you're wrong. It's incredibly demoralizing to see someone at your rank gain two or three ranks in a session while you still haven't gained any. It's simply broken.

Completely agree, last week Kawaii was complaining about archer and this week everythings fine again, things always seem great when your at the top eh. lol /sarcasm

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Awntawn said:

So how useful is food in this game? ;o
It just depends what your rank is. There is a soft cap. If there wasn't, you could be a rank 1 job with phys level 26 stats and just one-shot stuff all day long.

Food is pretty decent. I'll take whatever buffs I can get.

Rentahamster said:
They still have a point, though. The lower ranking members of a party are at a disadvantage since they can't keep up with the damage output of the higher ranking members. I noticed your SP gain improved a lot once you got access to Multishot and Quick Nock, since those moves do lots of damage.

I'm not going to disagree that Multishot and Quick Nock completely changed how I felt about my DPS, but my SP really picked up at rank 18 when they fixed the SP bug. I was always getting decent SP but the stupid bug where it was saying you got SP during the battle and then it all vanishes at the end was what was really killing my SP gain. I did not have Multishot or Quick Nock at rank 18.

Anyways, none of this applies to Jinko's case, as I believe he was lancer 21 when he quit.

We really gotta make the game fun using the social aspect, despite all of SE's fuckups. The only reason I even bother giving this game a chance is so I can fuck around with all of you.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point (does anyone even know what a record is in this day and age?) but I'll say it again. MMOGs are all about the social experience. Social experiences are what set MMOGs apart from all other games in the vast genre we call videogaming. If you purposely exclude yourself from the social aspect because your numbers aren't as big as someone else's, then you're really engaging in self-defeating behavior and you shouldn't be surprised when you get frustrated and quit. I'm not going to pretend FFXI was a wonderful game, because it really wasn't. Really, really wasn't. But what made FFXI rewarding for so many people was the enforced social aspect that players were required to engage in since you couldn't solo a damn thing past like level 10 for most of the game's glory days. Squenix changed things going from FFXI to FFXIV, and now sure you can solo if you want but why? If all you want to do is kill monsters alone over and over, play Diablo II singleplayer. Even WoW sucks if all you do is solo your way to the level cap alone. MMOGs are about the social experience, period.

When I was leveling my PUG alt for Second Wind, I actually spent a bunch of time in a leve party at PUG 2 when everyone else was rank 11-12. It took longer to get my PUG to 6 than it would have killing rats alone around Limsa Lominsa but I didn't care, I was having fun playing with other people. That's what I'm in for when I play MMOGs, it's why I quit LOTRO because there wasn't hardly a goddamn thing to do with a group at endgame when I quit (this was before Siege of Mirkwood and F2P), and it's why I quit Aion because everyone else in my legion quit and I was alone. Well, Aion also sucked, but that's another story entirely.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
Anyways, none of this applies to Jinko's case, as I believe he was lancer 21 when he quit.

I never said I quit, I said I unsubcribed and that they have til the end of the month to change my opinion.

I'm not paying a monthly fee for a game that is still in beta.

Your opinion is fine about playing together, but some of us are happy to solo and craft and use LS chat.

There is more to MMO's than grouping up to kill stuff and there are quite afew in the LS who don't like large parties, so stop calling them anti social because its far from it.

My main reason for not liking large groups is because the targeting is absolutely pathetic and most mobs die within 1 or 2 hits which means very few chances to proc sp gains.

TheFatOne

I'm hitting a wall crafting. Since I'm a low level I don't have any shards, and I have used most of my money to buy shards. I tried to train my gladiator but I got no where. I killed mobs for about an hour and a half and got 1.5k sp. I'm trying to sell some things that I made crafting, but I doubt I will sell any of it.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
I never said I quit, I said I unsubcribed and that they have til the end of the month to change my opinion.

I'm not paying a monthly fee for a game that is still in beta.

Your opinion is fine about playing together, but some of us are happy to solo and craft and use LS chat.

There is more to MMO's than grouping up to kill stuff and there are quite afew in the LS who don't like large parties, so stop calling them anti social because its far from it.

My main reason for not liking large groups is because the targeting is absolutely pathetic and most mobs die within 1 or 2 hits which means very few chances to proc sp gains.

It's exactly why I never share my leves. I don't see exp benefits from it. I DO join my LS mates when they ask to group up, because well it's free money/some exp for me and if they want to get crappier exp than they could solo that's their choice.

I loved grouping in XI, but in XIV I could care 2 craps less.

Does anyone do battle regimens on gaf? I still haven't bothered when I group to try it. Is it worth it ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zlatko said:
It's exactly why I never share my leves. I don't see exp benefits from it. I DO join my LS mates when they ask to group up, because well it's free money/some exp for me and if they want to get crappier exp than they could solo that's their choice.

I loved grouping in XI, but in XIV I could care 2 craps less.

Does anyone do battle regimens on gaf? I still haven't bothered when I group to try it. Is it worth it ?
Battle regimens still do not work.

Ravidrath

Battle Regimens sound too clunky to ever be useful.

Sounds like they need three states, not two: Off, Setup Mode, and On/Wait.

Basically, you stack the stuff in setup mode at the beginning of the party, and then go into On/Wait. Then the party leader can initiate them, at which point it will override the other players.

The only problem is stamina... I think you probably need the party leader to use a full stamina bar or something to execute, 'cause they're going to be messy as long as you have to coordinate everyone's stamina.

hgplayer1

Ravidrath said:
Battle Regimens sound too clunky to ever be useful.

Sounds like they need three states, not two: Off, Setup Mode, and On/Wait.

Basically, you stack the stuff in setup mode at the beginning of the party, and then go into On/Wait. Then the party leader can initiate them, at which point it will override the other players.

The only problem is stamina... I think you probably need the party leader to use a full stamina bar or something to execute, 'cause they're going to be messy as long as you have to coordinate everyone's stamina.

The Lodestone said:
3. After all participating party members have stacked their battle commands, one of the party members selects to initiate the Battle Regimen.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/battle01.html

Im not sure there is anything to be had by trying to link more than two or three commands. If the mob is moving the regimen could be interrupted.

It seems like I remember when we grouped up with another party once to do one of those fights you get from the battlewardens, they were doing regimens regularly.

I think theyre simpler than most people think.

Dorga

Gotta say, Monday night's leve grinding in Camp Horizon was some of the most fun I've had with the game. Even when the god damn wights spawned RIGHT NEXT TO THE FUCKING AETHERYTE CRYSTAL!

But yeah, this game is doomed without its social component, and facilitating that social component still needs a lot of work on SE's end. I still don't know how the hell you're supposed to use the party search "feature."

Zalasta

TheFatOne said:
I'm hitting a wall crafting. Since I'm a low level I don't have any shards, and I have used most of my money to buy shards. I tried to train my gladiator but I got no where. I killed mobs for about an hour and a half and got 1.5k sp. I'm trying to sell some things that I made crafting, but I doubt I will sell any of it.

1.5k in an hour and a half? That's really low, even when I'm having a bad streak I still get a decent amount. Do you have a lot of downtime in between fights waiting for HP to recover? I'd recommend getting conjurer's cure and/or pugilist's second wind to increase your ability to solo more efficiently.

Awntawn

TheFatOne said:
What craft what level?

Wish you were here! Nyaa~ :3

catgirl2.jpg

Salaadin

Old?

All World Maintenance (Oct. 15)
At the following time period, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 15, 2010 from 0:00 to 3:00(PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:
Old?

All World Maintenance (Oct. 15)
At the following time period, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 15, 2010 from 0:00 to 3:00(PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

3 hours? It's not a patch though? I thought a patch was this week, is this that ?

Salaadin

zlatko said:
3 hours? It's not a patch though? I thought a patch was this week, is this that ?

3 hours, yes. Thats 3:00am - 6:00am EST.

They made no mention of a patch but they didnt last week either. This posting is nearly indentical to last weeks "All Worlds Maintenance" posting and we DID get a patch after that one.

This was last weeks posting:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=73897736da2aaae9e8b8c365081ab55cb51ac081
and when it ended, we got this:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=0e1cf4484f2fae8d0609bbee17ee94f60fa6524c

I'm pretty sure this is the promised Market Wards change. As is usual for Squenix, we won't know what else they might or might not slip in until the moment they post the patch notes.

Salaadin

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm pretty sure this is the promised Market Wards change. As is usual for Squenix, we won't know what else they might or might not slip in until the moment they post the patch notes.

Yeah. We wont know until Friday probably 20 mins after the maintenance is over.
And I do think this is brining the market ward changes too. Last week they said "next weeks version update" so I think its a safe assumption.

Jinko

Seems to be that maintenance are coming on friday, has to be the marketward patch, they hinted at more than just the marketwards though.

Fingers crossed they fix the broken SP.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
Seems to be that maintenance are coming on friday, has to be the marketward patch, they hinted at more than just the marketwards though.

You and I both. I already found my own fix for marketwards...just check the bazaars of people in the busy spots of town who are wearing higher level equipment. You can bet someone with a Haub or Onion doublet on will have a higher chance of selling you might want compared to a person in level 1 starting gear.

SP fix would fix my biggest complaint about the game right now too which would make me stay longer than my max of December. I feel since game launched I've probably been cheated out of a good 5-7 levels on my Pugilist.

Effect

Won't be a significant patch if there is one with only 3 hours expected downtime. I keep foolishly hoping something significant will happen before the free month is out. Getting less likely it seems.

mileS

Effect said:
Won't be a significant patch if there is one with only 3 hours expected downtime. I keep foolishly hoping something significant will happen before the free month is out. Getting less likely it seems.

not saying the latest patch was big or anything but that was only 4 hours right?

Salaadin

mileS said:
not saying the latest patch was big or anything but that was only 4 hours right?

Yeah, it was 4 hours.

I dont think this patch will be significant but I also dont think that a lot of our complains are significant. Things like inventory sort and UI lag all seem simple to me but I really dont know what Im talking about.

Jinko

Effect said:

What makes you think this, they have most likely been testing whatever they plan to add on their test servers for weeks.

If by significant you mean story content don't expect to see that any time soon, they said every 3 months.

Effect said:

I'm not getting my hopes up or being pessimistic really but if you look at how they launched FFXI, if it should be any indication big things can happen very fast.

As Jinko said. They didn't add much from OB to launch so they may have been taking the past month to be testing stuff for updates. I can't imagine it's too difficult to move data from a test server to a live server.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

Last night Kess (MRD 26), Eithne (GLA 20), Techno(CON 19) and I (MRD 26) found a place that gave all of us really good SP. Techno (Conjurer) was getting the most, anywhere from 200-450 a battle. Eithne got the least because his accuracy and damage isn't as good as Kess and I (which is understandable since he's 6 levels behind us).

Like I said, you really need to have the right setup to make sure that party members aren't stepping on each others' toes and inhibiting each others' SP gain.

Case in point: About an hour later, we had 3 more ppl who wanted to tag along.

After one person joined: SP was still the same-ish except for Techno, who got more SP per heal (since our party size increased)

The fighters also got more SP per hit, but we got in less hits overall since there were more fighters in the group. It didn't make that much of a difference, though.

After one more person (another fighter) joined: SP was slightly worse for Techno and worse for all fighters.

Fighters killed the mob too fast, so it didn't have enough time to damage us. Therefore, Techno had less chances to heal and proc SP.

After a third person joined (another fighter): We see the trend continue, and SP drops like a rock for all those involved. We kill the mob way too fast now, and all the fighters are competing for hits. We each get less hits overall, and our share of the damage is less individually, which means we all have less chances to proc SP, and a greater likelyhood that we'll get 0 SP, especially the underleveled members.

Since the mob dies quickly, it doesn't have a chance to do much damage to the melees, and Techno the Conjurer has no chance to do meaty AoE heals, thus not getting any healing SP.

Coldsnap

Are there any active forums on this game? I checked both Zam and FFXIVcore and the threads are moving at a snails pace. I remember back in the day the FFXIzam threads were bumping.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Last night Kess (MRD 26), Eithne (GLA 20), Techno(CON 19) and I (MRD 26) found a place that gave all of us really good SP. Techno (Conjurer) was getting the most, anywhere from 200-450 a battle. Eithne got the least because his accuracy and damage isn't as good as Kess and I (which is understandable since he's 6 levels behind us).

Like I said, you really need to have the right setup to make sure that party members aren't stepping on each others' toes and inhibiting each others' SP gain.

Case in point: About an hour later, we had 3 more ppl who wanted to tag along.

After one person joined: SP was still the same-ish except for Techno, who got more SP per heal (since our party size increased)

The fighters also got more SP per hit, but we got in less hits overall since there were more fighters in the group. It didn't make that much of a difference, though.

After one more person (another fighter) joined: SP was slightly worse for Techno and worse for all fighters.

Fighters killed the mob too fast, so it didn't have enough time to damage us. Therefore, Techno had less chances to heal and proc SP.

After a third person joined (another fighter): We see the trend continue, and SP drops like a rock for all those involved. We kill the mob way too fast now, and all the fighters are competing for hits. We each get less hits overall, and our share of the damage is less individually, which means we all have less chances to proc SP, and a greater likelyhood that we'll get 0 SP, especially the underleveled members.

Since the mob dies quickly, it doesn't have a chance to do much damage to the melees, and Techno the Conjurer has no chance to do meaty AoE heals, thus not getting any healing SP.

Thats great and all but do you really think we should take so much time just to make sure our party make up works correctly.

Plus it's all situational as I may not beable to get the right people together ie healers, or find a suitable grinding place.

I see what you are saying but for most of us we want to just jump in a small party and get instance SP/XP without the worry of "oh the healers isn't getting any SP, we need to find something that AoE's" or something with less evasion because the tank can't hit it to get TP.

It's just very unbalanced, don't even get me started on mobs that have AoE effects that can wipe the whole party out, its just retarded.

One thing I did think about last night, I duno if you played 11 and how we used to set up skill up parties, but we woudl get a bunch of us, grab a level 1 weapon and all hack away like crazy, the mob would die slowly dealing damage and everyone was getting maximum chance to gain skill, healers would beable to healing and gaining sp in this situation also dealing damage when they had the chance.

I would be very interested to try this out with a bunch of you to see what gains we get, assuming we can hit the mobs with starter weapons, mobs would need to be even match to decent challenge though or they would kill us before we could them.

SE could have done a much better job with mob balancing IMO, the con system is terrible in most cases.

Having a number next to the name would have been much better and mobs that scaled to party size.

Rentahamster said:
Come back, PEZ, I miss you! I have sub jobs I need to level!

I haven't seen Feep around much lately, either.
I am now totally into WoW.

The newest update made the game feel brand new.

And then it will get better in November and again in December.

No fucking way! Haha...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Thats great and all but do you really think we should take so much time just to make sure our party make up works correctly.
No, I don't think we should have to take so much time to get it right. It's fucking ridiculous that SE saddles us with this dumbass game mechanic, but I want to find a reliable guideline we can use for party making so that all involved see a benefit.

Jinko said:
One thing I did think about last night, I duno if you played 11 and how we used to set up skill up parties, but we woudl get a bunch of us, grab a level 1 weapon and all hack away like crazy, the mob would die slowly dealing damage and everyone was getting maximum chance to gain skill, healers would beable to healing and gaining sp in this situation also dealing damage when they had the chance.

I would be very interested to try this out with a bunch of you to see what gains we get, assuming we can hit the mobs with starter weapons, mobs would need to be even match to decent challenge though or they would kill us before we could them.
Yeah I played FF11 for about a year back in 2002, but I never really participated in skillup parties even though I knew what they were.

This may or may not work - what I'm afraid of is that using starter weapons will make everyone's accuracy go to shit.

One thing that's different about FF11 skillup parties is that you just needed to fight a mob that is appropriate to your weaponskill level, not your job level - which would mean that your level 50 WHM could whack on a level 20 crab all day long for club skillpoints without any real risk.

In FF14 you need to fight a mob appropriate to your rank, so that increases the risk significantly.

Also, this is sort of like the concept of having all the fighters just use normal attack and not use TP moves. The point being to have the mob last longer and give more chances to skillup. I don't think it really works that well because intentionally gimping a fighter's DPS reduces his skill gain. So, while all the fighters gimp their DPS in order to extend the fight, they are not getting as much SP anyway, except for the mage, who gets more chances to heal.

It's a balancing game, and it's SE's fault that the sweet spot is so small.

More DPS = more skillgain, but too much DPS = mob dies too fast and healers don't get enough SP/weaker DPS members don't get enough SP.

Less DPS = slower/reduced skillgain for all involved, but more chances for healing SP by mages.

Giving each mob a static base SP and/or equally sharing all SP gained by all party members would fix this shit in an instant. Goddammit, SE, pull your heads out of your asses.

Jinko

Yeah I played FF11 for about a year back in 2002, but I never really participated in skillup parties even though I knew what they were.

This may or may not work - what I'm afraid of is that using starter weapons will make everyone's accuracy go to shit.

One thing that's different about FF11 skillup parties is that you just needed to fight a mob that is appropriate to your weaponskill level, not your job level - which would mean that your level 50 WHM could whack on a level 20 crab all day long for club skillpoints without any real risk.

In FF14 you need to fight a mob appropriate to your rank, so that increases the risk significantly.

Also, this is sort of like the concept of having all the fighters just use normal attack and not use TP moves. The point being to have the mob last longer and give more chances to skillup. I don't think it really works that well because intentionally gimping a fighter's DPS reduces his skill gain. So, while all the fighters gimp their DPS in order to extend the fight, they are not getting as much SP anyway, except for the mage, who gets more chances to heal.

It's a balancing game, and it's SE's fault that the sweet spot is so small.

More DPS = more skillgain, but too much DPS = mob dies too fast and healers don't get enough SP/weaker DPS members don't get enough SP.

Less DPS = slower/reduced skillgain for all involved, but more chances for healing SP by mages.

Giving each mob a static base SP and/or equally sharing all SP gained by all party members would fix this shit in an instant. Goddammit, SE, pull your heads out of your asses.

I am noticing I don't get SP gains for TP moves anyway, nor do they give back HP on my speed surge.

Is anyone else finding no SP gains on TP attacks ? (this needs testing)

Jinko said:
I am noticing I don't get SP gains for TP moves anyway, nor do they give back HP on my speed surge.

I get HP back on Bloodbath + TP attacks.

Pretty sure I get SP on TP attacks though, will watch it tonight.

Giolon said:
Is it masochistic of me to be curious about playing this game after so much bad press?

I'm paying for at least 3 months.

Most of in SoD are having a lot of fun, despite the flaws.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

I get skillups from TP moves. I also get more SP with a TP move than a normal move since the SP proc increases proportionally to the amount of damage you do.

Raging Strike > Ferocity > Trunksplitter II gets me lots of SP (if it procs).

Atrus

Gold Member
I can confirm that you get SP from TP moves, and in fact, spamming WS's tends to be good for jobs whose base weapon already yields larger skillups to begin with.

As for using lower lvled weapons to skill-up per skill up parties, I've already tried. As a back-up I've brought a Weathered Hora to use once my old Dodoskin Hora reduced to 1 durability.

While it does give skill-ups, it seems about comparable to the Dodoskin Hora at 1 durability. There's a significant decrease to skill-ups either way.

Soroc

I've bowed out of this game before even the 30 days were up. I just can't bear it anymore unfortunately.

The copy/pasted world, the broken sp gains, the economy system, the UI the FUCKIN UI killed this game for me. I don't really regret buying the game as I will revisit it again in the future when hopefully there have been many improvements.

Hope the GAF guild stays strong and endures the problems with the game and has fun! I just can't stomach the monthly costs to endure the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom