• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soroc said:
I've bowed out of this game before even the 30 days were up. I just can't bear it anymore unfortunately.

The copy/pasted world, the broken sp gains, the economy system, the UI the FUCKIN UI killed this game for me. I don't really regret buying the game as I will revisit it again in the future when hopefully there have been many improvements.

Hope the GAF guild stays strong and endures the problems with the game and has fun! I just can't stomach the monthly costs to endure the game.

I'll be keeping it going! At least for 3 months!

Donate your crystals/shards to the more avid crafters of the guild, they could use them :p

Soroc

demosthenes said:
I'll be keeping it going! At least for 3 months!

Donate your crystals/shards to the more avid crafters of the guild, they could use them :p

Good Idea Demo,

I got a ton of stuff since I haven't really sold anything so I'm sure I have plenty of mats for different professions. I'll have to jump on sometime this weekend and find someone willing to take it all and divy it up :D

Soroc said:
Good Idea Demo,

I got a ton of stuff since I haven't really sold anything so I'm sure I have plenty of mats for different professions. I'll have to jump on sometime this weekend and find someone willing to take it all and divy it up :D

Hehe, wasn't even thinking about materials, but crystals/shards could def help the people staying that craft a lot.

We have this on the site:
Renta Hamster:- Culinarian - Miner
Jinko Jinko:- Alchemist - Fisherman
Taka Danobaba:- Carpenter - Botanist
Oisin Fion:- Blacksmith - Miner
Geops Geops:- Goldsmith - Miner
Dinadan Elessar:- Blacksmith - Miner
Darsh Schneider:- Armorer - Miner
Dega Emenis:- Blacksmith - Miner
Veplerion Vifnir:- Carpenter - Botanist
Lin Lin:- Carpenter - Botanist
Mjunter Elhunter:- Weaver - Botanist
Oberyn Martell:- Armorer - Miner
Canti Socanto:- Goldsmith - Miner
Salaadin Voivode:- Armorer - Miner
Jurial Lymdal:- Weaver -
Dinadan Elessar:- Tanning -
Dental Plan:- Weaver -
Sion Brisbane:- Armorer -
Renarde Novus:- Armorer -
Taru Taru:- Goldsmith - Miner
Daedalus Verrier:- Alchemist - Miner
Kymera Bloodbane:- Blacksmith - Miner

Don't know how many of those people are sticking around or craft a lot. I think Dega is the highest we have, he's Blacksmith 25 I believe. Dental is pretty high too as is Mj, Taka and Rat (is he high cooking?). I actually don't recognize some of those names :lol . I'm only 17 Blacksmith XP

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Hehe, wasn't even thinking about materials, but crystals/shards could def help the people staying that craft a lot.

We have this on the site:

Don't know how many of those people are sticking around or craft a lot. I think Dega is the highest we have, he's Blacksmith 25 I believe. Dental is pretty high too as is Mj, Taka and Rat (is he high cooking?). I actually don't recognize some of those names :lol . I'm only 17 Blacksmith XP
I also invited Ryoshin Tarugane, who is a level 20-something armorer.

Rentahamster said:
I also invited Ryoshin Tarugane, who is a level 20-something armorer.

Cool :eek:

I'm going to start to rank up more outside of leves so I can skill up faster. Haven't used my retainer to sell anything yet but I'm going to start. Don't really care about making too much gil but I'd rather be getting good skillups.

animlboogy said:
Learning things on your own is one thing, but there's so much craziness going on behind the scenes, I ended up looking at wikis with the game windowed more than playing the damn game! For those of you defending this game, doesn't that grate on you after awhile?

For myself, the reward of figuring out the system out weighed the early frustrations. Lost ease of use for depth. Suppose I'm kind of tired of games like WoW being easy as dirt that it's refreshing to have to actually figure things out for once. Definitely not for everyone and can't fault anyone for not enjoying the experience. I put this game up there with EVE.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
You even get skill points from just provoking.
Yep, this goes along the lines of what I posted earlier:

Any hostile action you do against an engaged (name is red) enemy mob that debuffs the mob will give you SP.

Disorient debuffs the mob and has a chance to grant SP.

Provoke/Taunt debuffs the mob and has a chance to grant SP.

Abilities that only target yourself do not grant SP.

Ferocity, Raging Strike, Defender, Rampart, Featherfoot etc do not grant SP, no matter how many times you use it.

demosthenes said:
What if you Taunt/Voke on Marauder? I need to get both of these skills ASAP. I keep getting "You're a MAR but can't taunt/voke?!"
That works too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
spandexmonkey said:
For myself, the reward of figuring out the system out weighed the early frustrations. Lost ease of use for depth. Suppose I'm kind of tired of games like WoW being easy as dirt that it's refreshing to have to actually figure things out for once. Definitely not for everyone and can't fault anyone for not enjoying the experience. I put this game up there with EVE.
I have to say, however, that the there is a method to the madness that is the complexity of EVE Online. The devs know what they are doing in respect to making the game a truly hardcore experience.

As for FF14, the so-called "complexity" and "difficulty" come from the game developers being completely incompetent and out of touch, in my opinion.

Cathcart

Rentahamster said:
As for FF14, the so-called "complexity" and "difficulty" come from the game developers being completely incompetent and out of touch, in my opinion.
But Renta, it's not WoW. Why are you expecting it to be WoW, huh? If a game isn't WoW that means it is better than WoW. If you complain about a game that isn't WoW it's because you want every game to be WoW and you should go back to WoW.

I really need to stop going to FFXIVCore.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cathcart said:
But Renta, it's not WoW. Why are you expecting it to be WoW, huh? If a game isn't WoW that means it is better than WoW. If you complain about a game that isn't WoW it's because you want every game to be WoW and you should go back to WoW.

I really need to stop going to FFXIVCore.
:lol Yeah I sure see a lot of those arguments on a lot of other fansites, it's crazy.

Personally, I've never played WoW, and hardly know anything about it, so I'm confident that my opinion of the game comes just from my own personal tastes on what a good "game" in general should be like.

Sblargh

Banned
I want so much that this game is fixed by the time it is released on the PS3.
It looks like a great game with a 3 million little flaws.
C'mon Square, you can fix 3 million little flaws in 6 months, I trust you!

Rentahamster said:

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, how is there a "method to their madness" at EVE, but FFXIV be "completely incompetent and out of touch"? I admit I was completely ignorant of any marketing or hype for this game as I ignored it and had no intention of ever purchasing it. Was it sold as something other than what it is now? I entered this without any expectations and settled in based on just what I found.
I'll give that the UI lag, lack of sorting, and bazaar are probably the largest concession I've had to make for an MMO in quite a while, but once I understand what the game is trying to do everything else makes sense. I've figured out the systems here much faster than I did with EVE.

Jinko

spandexmonkey said:
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, how is there a "method to their madness" at EVE, but FFXIV be "completely incompetent and out of touch"? I admit I was completely ignorant of any marketing or hype for this game as I ignored it and had no intention of ever purchasing it. Was it sold as something other than what it is now? I entered this without any expectations and settled in based on just what I found.
I'll give that the UI lag, lack of sorting, and bazaar are probably the largest concession I've had to make for an MMO in quite a while, but once I understand what the game is trying to do everything else makes sense. I've figured out the systems here much faster than I did with EVE.

I think its made worse for many of us who have played FF11, because this game is a huge step back in places.

bardia

Despite the games enormous flaws I am having a blast playing it. Its most likely due to the fact that I'm only crafting and making gil, there's something satisfying about it and I have no intention of playing my pug until party issues are fixed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Awntawn said:
Glitch aside, I'm envious of that SP gain. Is this supposed to be normal? Maybe I just haven't found a good enough grind party/spot >.>
There are a few reasons why he was getting so much SP.

Higher dps against rank-appropriate mobs = more SP.

Judging by his skills and HP, he was around level 20-22 ish, and Antelope Does are appropriate for that rank and party size.

And the main reason why he got so much SP:

The other person in the party didn't do anything. That guy was just serving as a distraction and didn't contribute at all towards the damage against the mob. Archer did 100% of the damage and therefore got all of the SP.

If both of them were to attack the mob, you'd see the archer's SP gains cut in half.

hgplayer1

I do agree that its very hard to tell what the mobs are checking as even though we have the visual aid next to the name, but Im wondering if SE is going to adjust it at some point and we will see more of how XI was set up.

The further away from the city that you venture the tougher the mobs should be and that will be reflected in the indicator. Theres just not much variety in the toughness of the mobs and the few that you do find that are supposed to be even match or decent challenge are a crap shoot.

One thing I dont understand is as you level some of the mobs that are tough or very tough should at some point be decent challenge and even match but it seems like they go right from very tough to easy prey. Intentional or broken? A little of both?

I wouldnt mind if it was intentional because I can understand why they would do such a thing.

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:
One thing I dont understand is as you level some of the mobs that are tough or very tough should at some point be decent challenge and even match but it seems like they go right from very tough to easy prey. Intentional or broken? A little of both?

I've noticed this aswell, mob placement also seems odd, you will get easy pray mixed in with incredible tough, cassy hollow being a good example of this.

FWIW the starting mobs in Coerthus are fairly easy, arbor squirrels and migrating does and even the hippocerfs are easily soloable around 21-22.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Low level weapon skill parties dont see to work, FWIW.
Yeah, as I suspected. Basically SP gain boils down to:

Fighters deal the most damage as possible, and land as many hits as possible, and inflict as many status debuffs as possible.

Mages deal the most damage as possible, inflict as many status debuffs as possible, and mainly, [during battle] AoE heal (heals that recover HP. 0HP heals don't do jack) as much as possible, and [during battle] AoE buff.

BUT

If you fight too weak a mob, it has low HP, and will die too soon, robbing the damage dealers of SP

If you fight too weak a mob, it doesn't hurt the damage dealers very much, and the mages can't get SP from cure very efficiently.

If everyone's DPS is more or less equal, they will see relatively even gains in SP. If there is a DD whose DPS is a lot higher than everyone else, he will see higher gains at the expense of everyone else.

Unless the mob is hitting everyone for mega damage, having two mages in the healer role is redundant and they will get in the way of each others' SP gain. One of the mages either has to concentrate on damage/debuffing instead, or just leave.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The next time we do leves, I have a feeling this configuration will be best:

One mage config:

Two tanks with taunt.
One or two DD (with or without taunt)
One mage.

Since leve mobs usually come in pairs of two, have tank 1 attack -> taunt the first mob, and have tank 2 attack > taunt the second mob. The DDs can choose to target whichever mob they wish.

It is imperative that the tanks keep hate and do not let the mobs hit the mage.

Everyone needs to stand relatively close together, otherwise the AoE heals won't hit everyone, and the mage's AoE nukes/debuffs won't hit too.

Mage keeps everyone healed up to around 75-90%, shoots spirit dart, does AoE buffs, debuffs, and nukes.

Two mage config:

Two tanks with taunt
Two or more DD
Two mages (CON and THA would be good)

Basically it works similar to the first setup. One tank and a DD fight one mob, while the other tank and DD fight the other mob.

Mage 1 can heal tank1's group, and mage 2 can heal tank 2's group.

Mages can try and alternate heals to reduce redundant no SP healing.

Mages can try to designate one mage (probably the CON) as the main healer, while the THA concentrates more on AoE debuffs and nuking. THA can heal too if the mobs hit too hard.

Tanks need to do their job and keep hate, taunting whenever possible. It seems that the taunt, while it does generate enmity, also puts a "taunt" debuff on the mob as while. While the mob is in the "taunt" debuff state, the mages can go wild with AoE nukes.

Lets do this on a rank 30 behest with 10 ppl. Split up into Team A and Team B on the same party. It will be epic.

Jinko

We did something similar in a leve group we had going earlier.

Worked for the most part, although MJ kept getting one shot.

Lets hope the patch on friday brings more than just marketward changes.

Edit:- I been testing and im getting no SP from using feint, which accounts for 40-50% of my attack and damage.

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
We should do some straight leves tonight since they are going to reset again this early morning.
We've been @ it all day XD Currently on break. Going out to dinner. be back in 2-3 hours. Then let the leves continue! We've done like 2 behests so far too. Other times we were too late or it was too full. Also gotta watch as a courtesy to other players and have a full 15 man party for behest. IE Leave no one uninvited XD It created an engaged issue near the end and some hostility. To those that had to deal with that earlier, on behalf of the entire LS, I'm so sorry for the miscount and more!

And renta, that was essentially what we've been doing. I've actually been the main tank next to Kessah today :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
kiryogi said:
We've been @ it all day XD Currently on break. Going out to dinner. be back in 2-3 hours. Then let the leves continue! We've done like 2 behests so far too. Other times we were too late or it was too full. Also gotta watch as a courtesy to other players and have a full 15 man party for behest. IE Leave no one uninvited XD It created an engaged issue near the end and some hostility. To those that had to deal with that earlier, on behalf of the entire LS, I'm so sorry for the miscount and more!

And renta, that was essentially what we've been doing. I've actually been the main tank next to Kessah today :lol
Right, yes, that iis basically what we've been doing so far but I wanted to spell it out clearly for those who haven't partied with us yet. Also I wanted to cclarify mage duty and tank duty and just to get my thoughts oorganized in writing.

What's differrent, though, iss the idea of splitting up the melees. Before when we used to zerg rush one mob at a time, I think that led to unooptimal SP gains.

So I think I'm going through one of those "my class is shit" phases. I was really looking forward to getting Initiation but after using it in a few parties no one can even tell that the buffs are on. Considering if I want to transfer all 4 buffs I have to use 15 action points to set the abilities, 8 seconds casting absorbs (and hoping for no resists), and then finally casting the spell through the shitty targeting system (no AE for this spell), you'd think the buffs would be at least noticeable. Oh and did I mention that all of these spells are on a 60 second cooldown?

I'm starting to think I should have been a conjurer for the bigger heals, bigger nukes, and the buffs people actually want. It seems like if I want to make myself useful in a group I have to cast barbs and hope I get aggro :lol

kiryogi

Banned
SuperLurker said:
So I think I'm going through one of those "my class is shit" phases. I was really looking forward to getting Initiation but after using it in a few parties no one can even tell that the buffs are on. Considering if I want to transfer all 4 buffs I have to use 15 action points to set the abilities, 8 seconds casting absorbs (and hoping for no resists), and then finally casting the spell through the shitty targeting system (no AE for this spell), you'd think the buffs would be at least noticeable. Oh and did I mention that all of these spells are on a 60 second cooldown?

I'm starting to think I should have been a conjurer for the bigger heals, bigger nukes, and the buffs people actually want. It seems like if I want to make myself useful in a group I have to cast barbs and hope I get aggro :lol

ROFL. I admit I don't notice much, honestly dunno how big of a diff it is. But I'm sure it helps!

Kyoufu

Jinko said:
We did something similar in a leve group we had going earlier.

Worked for the most part, although MJ kept getting one shot.

Lets hope the patch on friday brings more than just marketward changes.

Edit:- I been testing and im getting no SP from using feint, which accounts for 40-50% of my attack and damage.

I get SP using Feint, fyi.

datamage

Unknown Soldier said:
First physical level 50 has been reached.

Porpor Yisan of Mysidia

Only a month after release. FFXI this game definitely isn't. :lol

Seeing how just walking around gives you physical experience (slight exaggeration), I don't think it's that big a deal. I think taking an actual job to 50 would be the bigger feat.

Unknown Soldier said:
First physical level 50 has been reached.

Porpor Yisan of Mysidia

Only a month after release. FFXI this game definitely isn't. :lol

Took a little less than a month and a half to reach max level on FFXI.

I think it will at least take that long for a rank 50 class. Physical is different...every class affects it.

edit: Dammmmn, her crafting ranks @.@

You guys were wondering about low ranking SP.

Rank 6 PUG
Fighting red conning Puks 1/2 way between LL and Skull Valley. I was getting 360sp or so per kill. When I went to the con below red it became like 150-200 sp per kill. Used weathered bone hora. The fights were easy, with Second Wind and Bloodbath I could pretty much go w/ little rest so Physical definitely helps.

Torquill

How is the economy growth coming? Can you find gear up to level 10 without having to make it yourself? (I understand there's no search. Just asking if it's out there, not if it's easy to find. )

Torquill said:
How is the economy growth coming? Can you find gear up to level 10 without having to make it yourself? (I understand there's no search. Just asking if it's out there, not if it's easy to find. )

I'd really wait for the update this Friday night (3 to 6am est) to answer this. They're overhauling the wards. However they're just renaming them stuff like "Marauder's weapons", "blacksmith ingredients" and giving you a lower tax if you sell there. That doesn't mean people will follow them exactly. I've been waiting for this b/c I've been too lazy to really go find ingredients to make stuff but now I'll be able to start skilling up faster in my crafts.

Every may just stay in the top ward.

They really need a search function. :\

Cathcart

The market wards will be good for buyers, maybe not so good for crafters. Right now crafters can get away with a lot because nobody has any clue how much items are supposed to cost. I'm interested to see how much prices drop once it starts getting easier to compare prices.

Of course, crafters are also buyers as we need to get some of our parts from other crafters so it could also mean that things become cheaper to make. Still, I think overall profit margins on all but the most cutting edge items are going to drop quite a bit. Should be interesting.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TurtleSnatcher said:
I am now totally into WoW.

The newest update made the game feel brand new.

And then it will get better in November and again in December.

No fucking way! Haha...

To be honest, WoW was always the perfect game for SoD and the way we played back in the day. Probably still is perfect for us.

gillty

Banned
EVE does not encumber the player with restrictions and interface. In this game it is prohibitive to even manage your inventory or rank up one class for a week, while in EVE its prohibitive to take on 3 battleships with my single battleships in pvp, not because it is impossible but because frankly I lack the skill (not skillpoints) and intricate knowledge of certain systems.

EVE rewards specialty and because of that it is inherently complex.

Jinko

Kyoufu said:
I get SP using Feint, fyi.

Guess my character is broken then.

Sundi: Well, we have the Crysta working now, and we have a lot of plans for how the players can use that. Not only for Final Fantasy XIV, but also XI, and even other games with our new ID system. For XIV, you no longer have to use Playonline-

Oh noooes..

On a side note I just went from Rank 21 to 22 lancer and both my Hp and def lowered.

Hp went from 1183 > 1175 and def from 169 > 168 all armor was at 75% durability or above.

Jinko said:
Guess my character is broken then.

Oh noooes..

The meltdowns will be epic (rightfully so) if they allow people to buy relics or anything crazy. Hoping they keep this mostly to just looks.

edit: How can you interview this man and not be grilling him about the issues w/ the game?

Cathcart

Once people start to reach the cap, then we will start to think about the end-game, and become more involved with the community, while also finding ways to better teach the new players coming to the game.

Hilarious.

Guys, we just have to reach the cap. Then they will be involved with us. I guess SE is a bunch of hardcore elitists who don't have time for the noobs who aren't at the cap yet :lol

Also, hey, what's a good time to teach new people how to play the game: when everyone is at the level cap! Of course!

Londa

Banned
Cathcart said:
Hilarious.

Guys, we just have to reach the cap. Then they will be involved with us. I guess SE is a bunch of hardcore elitists who don't have time for the noobs who aren't at the cap yet :lol

Also, hey, what's a good time to teach new people how to play the game: when everyone is at the level cap! Of course!

just asking, but did you play FFXI? They never explained any of the system. Users had to make guides for everything. Want to understand crafting? In FFXI there is no written explanation on crafting from the devs, only user guides.

Atleast the devs explained how to craft in FFXIV now that they have the Q & A section. Not trying to give them an excuse. Just trying to show the difference from FFXI to FFXIV.

Moobabe

Cathcart said:
Hilarious.

How long was this game in development? And they're now thinking about end game content? I wish they were more open about their aims for this game - get involved with community straight away! Teach people the basics early!

nataku

I haven't really logged in in since the weekend and I feel like I've wasted so much time because I've lost several cycles of levequests. The only way to really make up that lost SP if you don't do the levequest cycle every 36 hours is to grind, and with the random mob placement and lack of good spots to camp makes it a chore to do.

I don't think I'll be canceling, but I may limit my play time mostly to weekends, even if I progress at a snails pace. Honestly, the whole 8 levequests every cycle feels more punishing to casual players than anything.

Kintaro said:
To be honest, WoW was always the perfect game for SoD and the way we played back in the day. Probably still is perfect for us.

I always thought this as well. It seems to be even more so now, considering how casual WoW has become lately.

Coldsnap

SE are dicks for thinking you can launch a MMO in this state now adays, they are pretty much taking advantage of us fans and I'm one arggggg

nataku said:
the whole 8 levequests every cycle feels more punishing to casual players than anything.

You're right, at launch i thought the 8 levequest thing was going to be awesome for casual players but now its like a curse....

Coldsnap said:
SE are dicks for thinking you can launch a MMO in this state now adays, they are pretty much taking advantage of us fans and I'm one arggggg

You're right, at launch i thought the 8 levequest thing was going to be awesome for casual players but now its like a curse....
Yep. I feel compelled to at LEAST do my 8 crafting quests every timeslice. I really wish they'd bump it up to 48 hours, that way you could at least do a simple 1 city/day, 2 cities / timeslice sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom