• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
kiryogi said:
It's been of still big debate if a party of 15 THA could take down lord marbol with punishing barbs :lol

I hope nobody is stupid enough to try it, succeed, take FRAPS video of it, and post it to Youtube. Squenix has a history of nerfing boss-killing exploits literally within days of a successful boss kill while exploiting while ignoring other bugs and problems for years. It's so nice that Squenix has their priorities straight, amirite? :lol

Kyoufu said:
Leash a mob at 20% or so, let it regen to full then wack it til 20% again. When you have gained 500 SP you can kill it.

I really, really wouldn't suggest exploiting anything in a Squenix MMOG. It's just not prudent.

Kyoufu

Teknoman said:
This is the retainer update?

Regarding the market ward update, they said "next week" exactly 7 days ago, so yes.

I hope they include more fixes though. Please give us more inventory and SP distribution!

Well, if nothing else I can credit Squenix for still not purposely breaking Windower XIV as it still works. It's not clear if a future large update will finally break it but right now Squenix seems content to leave it alone. I can only hope that they won't break it until they've released their own official patch which adds an official windowed fullscreen mode.

In unrelated news, I was watching the opening movie again while waiting around for the servers to come up. If only the released game on October 21st was even 10% as good as the opening movie, nobody would have anything to complain about. As it is, I always feel like I paid $75 to play 10% of a finished game when I'm logging on.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
Regarding the market ward update, they said "next week" exactly 7 days ago, so yes.

I hope they include more fixes though. Please give us more inventory and SP distribution!

Cool, and yeah, hoping for more improvements...

Really hope the boss battles end up forcing people to group. NPC members are nice and all, but nothing beats a full party planning an assault on some crazy boss monster.

Ravidrath

SuperLurker said:
I'm rank 22 THM/Physical 30. I wouldn't recommend anyone actually go out and fight the things at this rank, I was just doing it for a laugh.

Ah, damn.

Since you're higher rank than I am... any recs on where I can solo as 18 CON? Not really feeling I've found a good spot yet.

Awntawn

Kyoufu said:

What I wouldn't give for an inventory sort button :lol

Kyoufu

Awntawn said:
What I wouldn't give for an inventory sort button :lol

The amount of Galka dick I would suck for just any feature that an 8 year old MMO has that this lacks, I don't think my glands could produce enough saliva.

Awntawn

Kyoufu said:
The amount of Galka dick I would suck for just any feature that an 8 year old MMO has that this lacks, I don't think my glands could produce enough saliva.
Kyoufu
Many galkas would be pleased if SE only listens.

zlatko

Banned
Kyoufu said:

:lol

Any word on how big this patch is MB size wise? I'm guessing it'll be like 13MB and half baked and SE will tell us not to review or comment on this patch for another 3 weeks. :D

zlatko

Banned
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV was performed at the following time.

*The software client will begin updating automatically the next time you run FINAL FANTASY XIV.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 15, 2010 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]

- Market wards have been modified as follows:
* Wards are now assigned specific item categories.
* Items corresponding to a ward’s item category will receive lower tax rates than items that do not correspond to the category.
* For an example of the new ward names and item categories, please visit the following page:
( http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=693682a80ae927d74b11a0381c7cd1af570568aa )

- Targeting and selecting a retainer will automatically open their Bazaar.

- The party bonus system (which awards bonus skill points for battles fought in a party) has been changed so that the bonus is awarded based on the number of fellow party members in the same area who are within the appropriate skill rank range, not simply the total number of party members.

* The party bonus system awards more points when there are more party members within the appropriate skill rank range.
* In this case, "appropriate skill rank range" means a skill rank no more than five ranks lower or higher than your own.

- The maximum numbers of crystals and shards each character and retainer is capable of carrying has been changed to 9999. This is a temporary measure and crystals or shards obtained in excess of this amount will automatically be discarded. The system is undergoing a fundamental redesign and adjustments will continue to be made.

- NPC display priority has been modified. This will ensure that important NPCs, such as Baderon, are displayed first.

- An issue where the retainer would not appear when summoned with the Summoning Bell has been fixed.

- An issue where the retainer would be visible to other players when summoned with the bell has been fixed.

- An issue where text commands could be used to equip items that the player should not have been able to equip has been fixed.

Glad to see some fixes, but honestly really disappointed to not see inventory sort make it into this patch. :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:
And yet most us will admit that the LS is the best part about this game so far, so it can't be all that bad.

People bitch and whine all the time, me more than most I suspect, just the way it is, especially with a game that has so many problems.

No shit. It makes it very annoying to see every time I log in. To see the same people bitch about the same things while they continue to grind away like its a Korean MMO. :lol

You are still fairly low level aswell so the leve's you get aren't very far out, if you want to maximize your SP gains at higher levels you have to go to every city and pick up 8 leves optimal to your rank.

Same goes for crafting otherwise you are wasting an oppertunity for the best SP gains.

I maximize my SP gains just fine. I mix and match different ranked leves with more or less stars and I'm getting perfect SP gains in both crafting and battle leves. I've met many players that are your levels who got there solo using this technique.

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:

It's really smh worthy.

They asked reviewers to wait 3-4 weeks before reviewing it so I assumed that this patch would have much more in it. Now they have what, 1 week, before it will have been about a month since CE release ?

Wtf were reviewers supposed to wait for? The game is still the same 99% of the way through even since open beta. Even if reviewers had waited till this week or next to pump out reviews it'd still be the same crap reviews they got.

Hopefully their first big title update, which I wager will be either end of November or early December will be satisfying, because if it isn't....well I for one won't be around bending over anymore after that. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Can any SoDers answer me this? Why didn't we get into WoW? Is that MMO perfect for us? Can easily do smaller scale dungeons. Plenty of crafting and stuff to do. Easy to get in and level, variety of classes and specs. Can quest together. Etc.

I never understood why. Couldn't pick a side? Who gives a shit? Too ugly for us? Explain this to me.

kiryogi

Banned
Kintaro said:
Can any SoDers answer me this? Why didn't we get into WoW? Is that MMO perfect for us? Can easily do smaller scale dungeons. Plenty of crafting and stuff to do. Easy to get in and level, variety of classes and specs. Can quest together. Etc.

I never understood why. Couldn't pick a side? Who gives a shit? Too ugly for us? Explain this to me.

To me... it's too ugly :D and it's WoW. Actually back in the day I played 8 hours of BC and that was it. Didn't want to get into an MMO. But here I am. That said, I refuse to play WoW on principle.

Kintaro said:

Hate the graphics, and hate that I need multiple chars for all classes. XI & XIV system <3

zlatko

Banned
Coldsnap said:
I'll play blizzards next MMO. I did 1-60 when wow first launched and never feel the need to play it again.

It's kind of this feeling for me as well as the graphics/races just not being that compelling to me. I think the gameplay is brilliant on many parts, but once I did 1-60 I sort felt like I wanted to play the next big thing. The problem is the next big thing hasn't come yet.

I am very interested in the new WoW expansion though, and may very well jump aboard it December if FFXIV isn't polished up enough by then.

Guild Wars 2 is really the MMO I'm looking forwards to next.

Awntawn

Kintaro said:

The online FF's involve a lot of "non-playing logged in" time, which generally results in more conversation, for better or for worse. In WoW, this time is minimal as there's always something to do. This makes for a more efficient gaming experience, but social interaction is more of an option and less of a necessity like it is in FF.

In these past few weeks in FFXIV, if you wanted a new weapon, you had to talk to at least 4 different crafters, and probably other people to get other mats. In WoW, you go to the auction house and don't need to speak to a soul. It does indeed promote more social interactivity, which is what SE intended... the trade-off is that it's a pain in the ass, and some deal with it better than others.

Zomba13

Kintaro said:

While not an SoDer from FFXI, the reason I didn't get into WoW was that I found it not as good as FFXI with the lack of story, most story being told in the quest box from what I saw, like the look (personal preference), need multiple characters to play multiple jobs, community wasn't as friendly (yay getting called a names because I wanted to be a night elf rouge and wanted help). Also I hate the whole Alliance Vs Horde thing. Just breeds twats on both ends. With FFXI there were jokes about Lastok etc but it was all in good fun and all th eplayers from every nation got on. In WoW you have people on the Horde side saying how much you suck because you wanted to be a human etc.

Londa

Banned
Targeting and selecting a retainer will automatically open their Bazaar.

Nice. I hope its not laggy. Will try the wards tonight.

The maximum numbers of crystals and shards each character and retainer is capable of carrying has been changed to 9,999.

yay.

An issue where the retainer would not appear when summoned with the Summoning Bell has been fixed.

My npc retainer would never show up when I rang that bell. Glad I don't have to go into the wards to find my npc anymore.

I wonder if SE will give us a event update for this month, you know, with pumpkin heads and bat wands like in FFXI.

TheFatOne

Just went into the market wards. It feels good to find the things you want. I have been looking for blue dye forever and I found it today.

Shouta

Kintaro said:

Because we were playing FFXI at the time? Plus even early WoW, despite being a damn solid release, still took awhile to get it to the easily playable level it is now.

TheFatOne said:
Just went into the market wards. It feels good to find the things you want. I have been looking for blue dye forever and I found it today.

Awesome! So glad to hear this.

I still think it's bull that I have to go to each ward to find what I really want but it's a step in the right direction.

edit: Was shouting for them last night but if anyone has fire crystals to sell, I'm going to be doing a lot of crafting in the next couple days and need them :D....Going to try to turn all my ores (possibly like 40+ stacks) into nuggets :D

TheFatOne

Londa said:
can't figure out which ward sells crystals, even after looking at the list. Is it the Mason ward?

Londa check battlecaft first. I don't think most people know its supposed to be tradescraft yet.

Salaadin

Good changes. Not what I wanted but still good.

I wonder about the party bonus skill points now. Is it worthwhile to party now?

Kintaro said:

WoW is now coming up on 6 years old and is poised for the first complete revamp which will essentially turn the game in WoW2. Everything that can be done in WoW has been done millions of times already by other people. Obviously Cataclysm will change the game world and redo all the zones and quests, but other than that there's nothing new for anybody to see in WoW. What's the point of starting to play WoW now, 6 years after the fact? It's like starting to play FFXI now, after everything's been done, guides have been written, Youtube videos posted, forums trolled and flamed epically. This is actually an example of the MMOG lifespan in action, once an MMOG has passed a certain level of maturity new players stop flowing into the game because previous players are already level cap with like 10 characters and everything's been done over and over again until everyone's fucking sick of it. And I don't think you'll find that many people in the 12 million or so who aren't actually sick of WoW, they just keep playing it because new MMOGs keep coming out a year before they are actually finished and flame out spectacularly in the first month or so. MMOGs like FFXIV.

Maybe you guys could start a new SoD for Cataclysm when there's actually new content to be seen, but even there you're still doing the same thing with the same classes and you're still grinding raid after raid for the next tier of gear. There's only about 10% of a game right now in FFXIV but at least it's actually a new world to go out there and look at and an entirely new story and potentially Squenix might even fill this new world with content to experience. I would rather be in the new world having adventures than playing WoW and following a guide exactly to do exactly the same thing to the boss every day or every week while watching a DPS meter hoping for an item to drop for me. I might as well go back and play Diablo II and run Hell Mephisto a million times if that's the mentality I bring to playing an MMOG.

Londa

Banned
Thanks, I'll check out the tradescraft ward after I get home from school.

really debating going out later tonight, I had a long weekend and its cold now. Thinking about staying home and keeping warm. >_<

Anyways,
I set up my retainer in Hunter's ward. I had a cactar needle and those things sell for 10k. :D

Sblargh

Banned
Patch seems to fix a lot of complaints (but I don't think I ever seen a game with such a high number of different little complaints).
I'll be cheering in this thread until the PS3 version comes out. I'm starting to have hope for that version.

jiggle

holy shit how did i live this long without punishing barbs
it's as effective on conj but lasts 1/2 as long and +17% longer recast
but still good

demosthenes said:
Can I call my retainer to LL and place it there (a ward) as long as I haven't placed him in a Gridania ward (where I'm from).

yeah u can
mine is from uldah and is selling in grid

Londa

Banned
Sblargh said:
Patch seems to fix a lot of complaints (but I don't think I ever seen a game with such a high number of different little complaints).
I'll be cheering in this thread until the PS3 version comes out. I'm starting to have hope for that version.

It only did some fixes to the ward. The ward still needs a search function, and npc retainers need to have a way to put a welcoming line when someone opens the retainer bazaar.

There is still much to fix, and I'm sure this games complainers will chime in and tell you the rest.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Period Extension

seriously? wow hurray!

Londa

Banned
Zalasta said:
I'm disappointed, no one mentioned the free trial extension and the upcoming version update?

those are positive points that no one wants to mention.

btw, I comments on some of the fixes on the last page.

The development team is currently preparing two major version updates for release in late November and mid-December. Some of the changes planned are as follows:

Late November Update
Adjustments and additions to the user interface
Adjustments to the Markets and retainers
Lowering of Teleport and Return costs
Adjustments to overall battle balance
Adjustments to class balance
Adjustments to party battle balance
Adjustments to monster placement
Adjustments to levequests
Adjustments to synthesis
Addition of new synthesis recipes
Alleviation of lag issues

Mid-December Update
Addition of notorious monsters
Addition of new guildleves
Addition of new synthesis recipes
Addition of new items

In addition to the above changes and additions, several seasonal events are planned to begin starting in December.

Further details on both version update and seasonal event content will be released in the coming weeks via the Lodestone.

In addition to the above changes and additions, several seasonal events are planned to begin starting in December.

no event for October :(

Zalasta said:
I'm disappointed, no one mentioned the free trial extension and the upcoming version update?

Wow, Squenix did the same thing for FFXIV they did for FFXI, an additional free first month. They really are trying to completely follow the exact life cycle again a second time! :lol

Good on them for realizing that those of us who paid the $75 for this 10% of a game at launch are the ones they really need to prevent from quitting the most.

Kyoufu said:

AWESOME!

Unknown Soldier said:
Wow, Squenix did the same thing for FFXIV they did for FFXI, an additional free first month. They really are trying to completely follow the exact life cycle again a second time! :lol

Good on them for realizing that those of us who paid the $75 for this 10% of a game at launch are the ones they really need to prevent from quitting the most.

They did this for FFXI b/c the game was literally unplayable for the first week and it was down a lot for maintenance. Glad they're giving us another free month for the problems we're putting up with. Haters are going to keep hating but this game is going to end up just as good as XI.
I hope :3

edit: Thanks jiggle.

Londa

Banned
Questions about version update:

Q. Exactly what type of adjustments or additions to the user interface are being planned?
A. Since the game's official release, the development team has continued their efforts in designing various new features, as well as retooling and improving existing ones. Currently, we are focusing on addressing the issues about which players have been most vocal, and are pleased to announce several key changes set to be implemented as soon as next month. The following is a partial list of what we have planned:

–Inventory Sort Feature
The late-November version update will include the addition of a feature that will allow players to sort their inventories.

–Menu Navigation

We are currently working on methods to make navigating the game's menus simpler and more efficient. In the forthcoming version update, we will focus on improving the Actions & Traits menu, starting by automating the selection of main/off hand.

In addition to the aforementioned improvements, the following adjustments are also planned:

Map
Players will be able to scroll their maps via dragging the mouse
A player's current coordinates will now be displayed on the main map
A player's current coordinates will now be displayed on journal maps (as long as the player is in the same area)
Players will be able to relay their current coordinates to others using the text command <pos>
The area name will be added to journal maps
A journal map feature will be added to the main map
The log window will no longer be hidden when maps are displayed

Log Window and Chat
New tabs will be added to the log window
Players will be able to open multiple log windows
Controller functionality will be added to the log window
Players will be able to use Ctrl+R to send instant replies to /tells
Players will be able to change chat modes via menu options
The Home and End keys will now function in the chat log
For players typing multi-byte characters, starting a new message with "/" will automatically switch the typeset to single byte
Players will be able to adjust the font color for various chat modes
Adjustments will be made to the transparency of the log window when unfocused

Menu
A Loot List icon will be added
A Loot List option will be added to the System Menu
The general layout of several menus will be adjusted
Previously completed quests will now appear in players' journals

Targeting

Adjustments will be made to target priority when using the Tab key to cycle through nearby targets
When targeting a party member, a target mark will now appear next to the target's name in the party member list
Players will be able to target party members via the party member list

Keyboard Settings
Several new functions will be added to the keyboard, such as a key used for targeting NPCs
Players will now be able to re-map all functions to any key (other than Esc)

Looking beyond the late-November version update, the team is also working on introducing drag and drop functionality to the Equipment & Gear and Actions & Traits menus, map markers indicating the location of party members, a method to initiate message input in the chat log without having to press the space bar, and more.

Markets and Retainers

Q. Today's maintenance introduced several changes to the Markets. Are there further changes planned?

A. The Markets have been a hot topic since the game's release, and today's maintenance was the first step in making this feature better suited to the needs of the players. With that step we saw the introduction of a one-click targeting system, making it easier to access a retainer's list of wares. We also saw a renaming of the wards combined with a reduced-tax system aimed to promote a more organized distribution of goods, therefore making it easier for players to find the items they seek.

For our next step, we plan on introducing additional features to make navigating the Markets even easier. These include the implementation of a search feature that will not only help players locate items in a Market district, but then display an icon next to the retainers who have those items, reducing the hassle of having to look through the inventories of retainers who may not have what a player seeks.

Return and Teleport Cost

Q. Return and Teleport have made travel within Eorzea quick and easy, but it seems like I am always running out of anima. Are there any adjustments being planned?

A. Yes. The first adjustment, which increased the speed at which anima regenerates, was implemented during a recent maintenance. The second adjustment, planned for the late-November version update, will see a significant reduction in the amount of anima required to teleport or return. To be specific, the cost for Returning will be reduced to 1, and halved for Teleportation to one of up to three "favorite" aetheryte destinations designated by the player.

Battle Balance

Q. What is the development team doing in the way of balancing battle?
A. Without straying from our original stance to provide players with a feasible means to play solo, we are working on improvements to the battle system that will make party play just as rewarding. One of the reasons players have little motivation to form a party is because there are currently few battles that require contriving a detailed plan of attack. To rectify this, we are currently conducting adjustments to areas such as enmity distribution rates and Battle Regimen effects. We will also be introducing several powerful creatures that will be better suited for party-based battles.

Monster Placement

Q. Where are all the monsters?
A. At the time of release, server load issues limited the number of enemies that could appear in areas where large amounts of PCs gathered, such as aetheryte camps situated near city-states. To alleviate this, we have increased the number of servers. This, combined with the fact that players are moving away from these areas and have begun to spread out over the world, will now allow us to increase the number of enemies roaming the realm.

Guildleves

Q. What changes and additions are planned for guildleves?

A. In the late-November update, we will be adding a new feature that allows players to adjust levequest difficulty after activating the guildleve. Furthermore, we will also be adding a feature that will allow players to abandon local levequests after accepting them.

The mid-December version update will introduce many new guildleves; among them special faction leves that pit players against deadly notorious monsters.

Synthesis

Q. What kind of changes are planned for synthesis?

A. The late-November patch will see adjustments to the required ranks and difficulty levels of various existing recipes, ensuring that players will have a better chance to successfully create items when reaching the optimal skill level.

For the mid-December update, we will be adding several new recipes, including ones for crafting new gear. In addition, we will be introducing a new feature that will allow players to select recipes from a list of recently crafted items and recipes learned through levequests, and set all of the appropriate ingredients with the touch of a single button, thus making repeated synthesis of a single item a snap!

Server Load

Q. The lag in some areas is lowering UI and battle response times, making it difficult to play. Why is this happening?

A. Even if a World server is not crowded, a large number of players gathering in a single place would increase server load, adversely affecting gameplay. To alleviate this, we have pinpointed heavy-traffic areas and split up their processing duties over multiple servers, reducing the chances that a single server will become overloaded.

zlatko

Banned
The amount of changes coming in late November meet up with what I had predicted their time line would be. Either late Nov or early Dec I felt was when they would fix a giant list of crap, but it almost seems unreal how much they feel they can tackle at once.

If they can live up to this patch it'll be huge. They already guaranteed me a longer stay in the game now thanks to the free month, but if this patch does all it says it will then I'll be in the game for years.

:D Excited.

Londa

Banned
new feature that will allow players to select recipes from a list of recently crafted items and recipes learned through levequests, and set all of the appropriate ingredients with the touch of a single button, thus making repeated synthesis of a single item a snap!

crap, don't like this one. @_@ bound to happen thanks to a certain MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom