• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet the problem Londa has with the auto-recipe thing for crafts isn't the "last few things you made" part, but the "any recipe you've ever learned from a Leve quest" part. You've never made something like that before, it shouldn't automatically let you just choose it from a list. Part of the fun is experimenting, and when you enter in the wrong things, and discover a new recipe, that's a cool moment. Or even when you get the ingredients right, sometimes you get multiple choices of what to make with them. These are things that will never happen under the new system.

hgplayer1

Dreamwriter said:
I'd bet the problem Londa has with the auto-recipe thing for crafts isn't the "last few things you made" part, but the "any recipe you've ever learned from a Leve quest" part. You've never made something like that before, it shouldn't automatically let you just choose it from a list. Part of the fun is experimenting, and when you enter in the wrong things, and discover a new recipe, that's a cool moment. Or even when you get the ingredients right, sometimes you get multiple choices of what to make with them. These are things that will never happen under the new system.

pretty sure you can still experiment. leve quests dont exactly give you rare recipes.

gsarjeant

I think the Anima tweaks are a good compromise:

Q. Return and Teleport have made travel within Eorzea quick and easy, but it seems like I am always running out of anima. Are there any adjustments being planned?
A. Yes. The first adjustment, which increased the speed at which anima regenerates, was implemented during a recent maintenance. The second adjustment, planned for the late-November version update, will see a significant reduction in the amount of anima required to teleport or return. To be specific, the cost for Returning will be reduced to 1, and halved for Teleportation to one of up to three "favorite" aetheryte destinations designated by the player.

Still have to be judicious, but I won't feel compelled to run everywhere when this goes in. Just being able to get to the major cities cheaply will help a lot.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

Maybe the saving face really is a japanese thing? Didnt the same thing happen for awhile with the Toyota troubles, and then eventually the guy ended up dropping a few tears at a press conference?

I mean we know they messed up, they obviously know they messed up...not really necessary for them to just come out and say it in blunt terms since everyone is on the same page.

Kandinsky

Kintaro said:
Can any SoDers answer me this? Why didn't we get into WoW? Is that MMO perfect for us? Can easily do smaller scale dungeons. Plenty of crafting and stuff to do. Easy to get in and level, variety of classes and specs. Can quest together. Etc.

I never understood why. Couldn't pick a side? Who gives a shit? Too ugly for us? Explain this to me.
I completely agree with you, WoW was (is?) perfect for us, such a shame. Anyways, my body is ready again for wow.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Maybe the saving face really is a japanese thing? Didnt the same thing happen for awhile with the Toyota troubles, and then eventually the guy ended up dropping a few tears at a press conference?

I mean we know they messed up, they obviously know they messed up...not really necessary for them to just come out and say it in blunt terms since everyone is on the same page.

I agree with the 1Up guy, though - if they would say it, I would have more faith that they wouldn't do it again.

Seeing that this is the second time they've majorly fucked up their MMO launches, they need to instill faith in the community.

Maybe it's not Komoto's place, since ultimately it's not his fault? So maybe we should hear that from Tanaka.

notworksafe

It's actually refreshing coming from a company like Square-Enix. As it says in the link, The FFXIV team needs a new communication strategy.

Maybe this is the start of something, but it's hard to tell with the promised fixes remaining vague as always and the team not actually explaining decisions or admitting fault.

Kandinsky said:
I completely agree with you, WoW was (is?) perfect for us, such a shame. Anyways, my body is ready again for wow.
Join my server, Kandinsky! :D

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:

I think it had something to do with the perception that the game wasnt as social as XI. I played WoW for awhile after I left XI back in...04? It was actually pretty fun while I was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBGw3ii4pbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVV0sLjmAiE

Only thing that ticked me off is that people would grab quests and rush you through actually reading what it was about :lol

I will say theres nothing like beating the brakes off an enemy faction unlucky enough to cross your path.

Zomba13

Dreamwriter said:
To be fair though no one did that. I mean no one who wasn't one of the pioneer crafters checking everything with everything else and datamining or whatever to find new recipes. I mean doesn't everyone use something like YG or another online recipe database? Why experiment when making stuff is already a big enough hassle.

hgplayer1

I'm really not sure why I never played WoW I guess I was just unfamiliar with it for the most part.

MMORPGs werent really a thing I looked forward to in gaming back then. Then I played PSO on Dreamcast. I know, its not really an MMO but it has those elements.

Then FFXI on PS2 plus GAF hype got me really interested in it. I ended up getting it on PC and playing for a while before getting burned out. I never really wanted to move to another MMO, I had just had enough of FFXI for the time being.

Then it came out on 360 and I jumped back in. My perception of the game grew then, and again when GAF jumped back in the last year or so.

My hopes for XIV were that it would very much be FFXI 2 in some ways. I am disappointed that at launch so many small things need to be fixed but I have confidence they will be.

Do I feel like I am owed an apology? Why the hell should I? Im familiar with how SE operates and I saw the signs of what was to come during the beta. I chose to jump in early anyway as did so many other people. Im happy with the frequency of updates since launch so far. If SE continues to prioritze the problems in the manner in which theyve been doing I will have no problem playing the game for a long time.

I think some of the people complaining so much about how bad the game is should move on to play those other games that already seem to have everything they want. Im sure you will come back when and if this game finally meets your standards and still have something to complain about.

Londa

Banned
animlboogy said:
How is a design method that allows us to stop opening crafting wikis while we play or keep us from having to memorize inconsequential shit that modern games have no right doing a BAD thing?

Did you just say that to cover your bases in case you made some loud-mouthed comment about how having to memorize recipes is a good thing?

yep, because I said that word from word.

Londa

Banned
animlboogy said:
Then what exactly are you conplaining about?

And if you read what I actually wrote, I was just implying that you probably said something like that at some point during your fierce defense campaign.

Exactly, you guess and put those words in my mouth. Because it probably happened.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have a feeling that when I press the refresh button on my browser, the FF14 review thread is gonna have like 20 more pages.

ninja edit: yep :lol

Allard

Some the adjustments are coming later then I wished, but its nice to see they clearly, clearly were listening to peoples complaints and are planning to fix a lot of things soon (Some I never thought they would add/fix like drag and drop, pleasant surprise). Also really glad to see free trial extended. Several friends were planning to quit till the game was better when the free trial was up and they might actually stick around now thanks to the update info and the extension. They still got a lot of work to do (No chocobos or world player search yet which seems stupid to me...) but if they can get these 'fixes' into place alongside the December version update... then the game will be what it SHOULD have been at launch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm not sure how desperate they are considering they did the same thing with FFXI. Seems more like a calculated gesture to me.
Planning to do this all along from the start, huh? That makes sense too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm not sure how desperate they are considering they did the same thing with FFXI. Seems more like a calculated gesture to me.

There's no one on this Earth who doesn't see this as some sort of panic button. Sure, they did this in 2002 with FFXI, but uh, as you've noticed, they're repeating their exact same time table as they did with FFXI. No one does this unless service has been unavailable or something.

They're trying to buy time in the hopes the upcoming patches are enough. With Cataclysm coming up? It's seen as desperate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK, so, solo play. I'm thinking that it would be worthwhile to get the Thaumaturge skill "Firm Conviction" on a melee class since it vastly increases defense while casting, according to what I hear from other THAs.

Right now, it's not that feasible to use cure while soloing, because if in one turn, the mob hits me for 120 dmg and I heal for 120 HP, I've essentially gotten nowhere. However, if using Firm Conviction, I get hit for 50 dmg, and then heal for 120HP, that's another story.

It also might come in handy when tanking in parties when that mob is about to do their stupid ass 800 dmg TP move on me.

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:
I think some of the people complaining so much about how bad the game is should move on to play those other games that already seem to have everything they want. Im sure you will come back when and if this game finally meets your standards and still have something to complain about.

This isn't the way to be thinking IMO, when people leave they may not come back, for ever person that leaves there is less money to develop more content and fix exsisting problem, less people to complain about stuff to get it fix and less feedback to make things better.

People complain for a reason, not just for the sake of it.

londa said:
Exactly, you guess and put those words in my mouth. Because it probably happened.

Well its not like you don't put words in peoples mouth, so all is fair.

Uknown Soldier said:

I would agree with that, it was kind of like beta phase 4 in a way.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
This isn't the way to be thinking IMO, when people leave they may not come back, for ever person that leaves there is less money to develop more content and fix exsisting problem, less people to complain about stuff to get it fix and less feedback to make things better.

Well its not like you don't put words in peoples mouth, so all is fair.

I would agree with that, it was kind of like beta phase 4 in a way.

yes, because you say so. :D

carlo6529 said:
Mounts!!! I need mounts!!

There must of been a lot of cancellations for them to dish out another free month.
Naw, they did the exact same thing in FFXI, and then just because the first week had hella lag and server crash problems. They probably planned for it from the start, knowing the game wasn't going to really be at final launch readiness on time.

Maybe they realized people usually don't say any useful shit in today's betas so they figured they'd run one the old fashioned way by pissing everyone off and making them SUPER vocal.

Nah they're not that smart.

Ravidrath

Dreamwriter said:
They probably planned for it from the start, knowing the game wasn't going to really be at final launch readiness on time.

Considering that a month of lost subscription fees likely cost them more than a couple months of development, I seriously doubt that.

Ravidrath said:
Considering that a month of lost subscription fees likely cost them more than a couple months of development, I seriously doubt that.
But money won't buy a couple months development while taking up zero time. And a month of lost subscription fees is nothing compared to multiple months of fees from people leaving because the game wasn't quite ready yet.

hgplayer1

Jinko said:

I understand the need for criticism from the games community but what purpose does the constant complaining do in LS chat?

Even in these forums the same complaints are rehashed over and over and even when announcements come that these concerns are being given attention to and getting fixed, the complaints continue.

Coldsnap

fucking 3102 errors

from the hilarious encyclopedia dramatica about the ui lag

"Shut your goddamn mouth. It will never be instant like every other MMO. Barring a full rewriting of the games code, the lag is literally programed into the game, it will always be like this."

This sounds like a false statement?

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:
I understand the need for criticism from the games community but what purpose does the constant complaining do in LS chat?

Even in these forums the same complaints are rehashed over and over and even when announcements come that these concerns are being given attention to and getting fixed, the complaints continue.

I dont think LS chat is half as bad as some you claim it to be.

Most of us are enjoying the game, but there are times when the game just keeps kicking you in the face and you can't take it anymore.

Ravidrath

Coldsnap said:
"Shut your goddamn mouth. It will never be instant like every other MMO. Barring a full rewriting of the games code, the lag is literally programed into the game, it will always be like this."

I think it's likely bullshit.

Yes, they have the server authentication coded into the game, but they managed to scale it back through the various beta phases, and I'd imagine they can still do that once they have enough evidence that the client is relatively safe.

It could be as simple as turning off "Server Check" flags on various UI functions.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fuck this patch, and all the gimping it did to SP gains in parties!

C'mon SE, do you, or do you not want to make it easier for ppl to party together?? Fucking hell....

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:

C'mon SE, do you, or do you not want to make it easier for ppl to party together?? Fucking hell....

I don't group up, but did they gimp it worse? That's not very reassuring of the miracle patch in November if they can't even pull off a smaller/simpler patch now. :(

Kyoufu

The only thing they did from what I can tell is made grouping restricted to level ranges, just like in pretty much every MMO.

No more PLing a rank 15 healer as a rank 25 group.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:

Didnt they just make it so people couldnt group in large rank ranges?

Oh and somehow we're at max LS space already. So...if you're someone who's quitting the game for the long run, or just for awhile until things get straight, could you log on for awhile so we can open space?

Either that or we'll just have to wait for companies :lol

zlatko

Banned
Kyoufu said:
The only thing they did from what I can tell is made grouping restricted to level ranges, just like in pretty much every MMO.

No more PLing a rank 15 healer as a rank 25 group.

Well that's a fine addition, but I was hoping from the way they had worded it earlier on that it would make SP in groups give at least the same decent amount you'd gain soloing the right difficulty.

I know not everyone is a fan of the FFXI forced group system, but I loved it. When I heard FFXIV will be solo friendly I was initially fine with it, because I felt it'd be an option and that in the long run you'd gain more benefits grouping up with people in exp, money, and rewards from quests. The fact that isn't the case and I've been basically soloing all of open beta and since CE release is lame. I mean I have joined groups, but the poor exp no matter how high we make the quest in star difficulty just makes it a waste of time and I almost feel like I'm ripping people off for potential exp they could get if they just had soloed.

I hope to see a shift November or later to give group focused content that only groups can tackle, but that is probably expecting too much unless there's some NM's that are going to be that tough.

SP was better for me than it has been in the past, maybe its because those mobs actually lived long enough for me to debuff and nuke. What do you think the problem was? Was the party too big or was the level spread too big?

zlatko

Banned
@superlurker

Generally I'd group up with 5-6 people and we'd go for a 5 star difficulty on the leve. Too often for me as a Pugilist I'd get either like 32 SP off a mob or none, but other times gain 200-300.

The problem with the current exp system like I've stressed before is it is too random and the formula doesn't have consistency.

I wish it was if you are X level, and fight a Y conning mob, then you get Z exp.

Example: Rank 20 pugilist, fight a green con Puk, you get 175 experience.

The same formula should be spread throughout the group as well. That if you fall into that XYZ formula you are guaranteed that 175 exp, but if you say did the most damage to the enemy you get an extra 25 on top of that, or if you healed the most you get another extra 25. That way if you group up you'd get more experience in the long run and hopefully at a faster rate.

zlatko

Banned
I like this marketward change heaps.

I was finally able to find and buy a level 12 leather working knife. I've had to use the level 7 one even though I'm level 18 Lworker. :p

My hopes for the game are def. going up and up, and as long as the November patch delivers I'll be :D from ear to ear.

Cmagus

Nice to see they extended it a month they really needed too and it's a smart move because had they not alot of people probably wouldn't have come back.Let's hope they get some good fixes in there and a good auction house and I will continue playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom