• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
demosthenes said:
I haven't thought of equipping gear that didn't favor my class, seemed silly to me from the second I saw it.

In general it's a stupid design choice. I'd rather each class have its own set of gears they can/cannot wear, with few overlapping pieces like FFXI.

Sometimes gear that doesn't favor your class can beat out items at certain gaps that DO favor your class.

The problem with the way gear is set up now is the idea of endgame. If we can wear w/e we want I have a feeling we will have SO MANY sets of gear during big encounters. "Oh crap it's going to do it's fire spell...quick everyone change to your fire set." "Oh crap it's now doing a ton of status effects, quick your resist status effects set." "Oh crap melee damage frenzy, quick your best +defense set." So on and so forth.

@Coldsnap I saw it in open beta, because I was just force grinding myself. You'd really have to be a masochist though to want to grind non stop in FFXIV right now. I play the game casually and if you do you won't ever see the fatigue system.

zlatko

Banned
demosthenes said:
I know you can't change a weapon while engaged but I'm assuming you can change normal gear?

Haven't tried. Even if you can/cannot, the fact is you will have to carry around so many sets on you. If you can't change during a fight then you would just disengage and hit your gear macro to reengage.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
I know you can't change a weapon while engaged but I'm assuming you can change normal gear?
I never tried it but I think SE said that you cannot change gear while in active mode.

zlatko said:
Haven't tried. Even if you can/cannot, the fact is you will have to carry around so many sets on you. If you can't change during a fight then you would just disengage and hit your gear macro to reengage.
Thatd be pointless. If youre fighting a mob thats about to use a spell or ability, by the time you disengage and wait for all of your gear to cycle in, the ability would have gone off.

Coldsnap

Salaadin said:
I never tried it but I think SE said that you cannot change gear while in active mode.

That would suck, i enjoyed swapping +str gear on my warrior for rampage and +acc build for tp gear. It added a depth to playing mele class that most people couldn't do.

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
That would suck, i enjoyed swapping +str gear on my warrior for rampage and +acc build for tp gear. It added a depth to playing mele class that most people couldn't do.

Yeah, I had a lot of gear swaps as well. EVA, DEF, STR, DEX, ACC. It was a pain to manage at first but really paid off.

Coldsnap said:

The devteam has said they don't want that kind of play style for FFXIV...so I don't expect that we'll be able to swap gear during battle any time in the future.

And to be honest it'd probably be too much to manage with XIV's battle system.

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:
Yeah, I had a lot of gear swaps as well. EVA, DEF, STR, DEX, ACC. It was a pain to manage at first but really paid off.

I also had tons of macros for gear swaps in FFXI. I could see the same happening here.

Thing is mobs do NOT get off certain moves as fast as you think. The battle system is designed with the idea of movement not just you sitting there auto attacking/thwacking away.

Example is Puks using back flip. It gives you plenty of time to side step it, and completely avoid the move. Or when a mole burrows you can run off and avoid the damage for when it pops off.

I imagine the same kind of stuff will come into play for end game.

Pai Pai Master said:
The devteam has said they don't want that kind of play style for FFXIV...so I don't expect that we'll be able to swap gear during battle any time in the future.

And to be honest it'd probably be too much to manage with XIV's battle system.

Yea, I thought I remembered something about that.

Jinko

No way you could switch out gear fast enough during battle.

One piece perhaps, but I don't see much advantage coming from one piece.

As far as I can tell all the stats have some kind of cap per level, so gear will only supliment your allocated stat set up.

I'm fairly sure it's not going to have the same effect as switching gear out in 11 had.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
No way you could switch out gear fast enough during battle.

One piece perhaps, but I don't see much advantage coming from one piece.

As far as I can tell all the stats have some kind of cap per level, so gear will only supliment your allocated stat set up.

I'm fairly sure it's not going to have the same effect as switching gear out in 11 had.

Making a Macro that disengages and equips all the gear isn't hard. Hitting in battle would be 1 second delay at best. Seriously look at how long it takes a Puk to do back flip or a mole to come up from a burrow.

I've yet to fight monsters that cast spells, but I imagine they take 3-5 seconds to do it. That's more than enough time to hit a macro key.

zlatko said:
Making a Macro that disengages and equips all the gear isn't hard. Hitting in battle would be 1 second delay at best. Seriously look at how long it takes a Puk to do back flip or a mole to come up from a burrow.

I've yet to fight monsters that cast spells, but I imagine they take 3-5 seconds to do it. That's more than enough time to hit a macro key.

If they're developing a game without gear changing in mind they'll probably make it so stuff like this isn't efficient / worth doing.

zlatko

Banned
demosthenes said:
If they're developing a game without gear changing in mind they'll probably make it so stuff like this isn't efficient / worth doing.

I'll hope they stick to this, but I don't see how they could pull that off. Unless swapping a piece of equipment takes off all your TP, or the effects of the macroed gear don't come into play for 5 seconds or more, then it'll be hard to discourage the benefits of it.

Jinko

zlatko said:
Seriously look at how long it takes a Puk to do back flip or a mole to come up from a burrow.

And look how fast a Cactuar can pull of 1000 needles, SE said they didn't want gear swapping in this game, so if people start doing that they will make ways for them not to beable to, like a debuff that stops you changing gear, or monsters that cast instantly.

I hope gear swapping doesn't end up in the game, its one of the things I hated about 11.

zlatko

Banned
Jinko said:
And look how fast a Cactuar can pull of 1000 needles, SE said they didn't want gear swapping in this game, so if people start doing that they will make ways for them not to beable to, like a debuff that stops you changing gear, or monsters that cast instantly.

I hope gear swapping doesn't end up in the game, its one of the things I hated about 11.

Fully agree. I hated it in FFXI as well. Had to hunt down so much gear for such little improvments, but if you didn't have them you weren't 1337 enough to roll with the FFXI peeps end game. :(

DrDogg

I didn't get a chance to play much over the last couple days and I haven't hardly checked this thread at all, but here's where I'm at with things.

- I have a 6 month sub, so I'll be here until at least the PS3 release.
- My CON is now 16 (giving me Protect and Shell) so I'm ready to try partying again.
- So far, partying gets me crap SP and soloing is super boring (although I can get about 6k SP per hour on my CON). However, I realize I've been under-leveled for most of the parties I've been in, so I'd like to try a party at proper levels before I just make a macro bitching about SP in LS chat (instead of typing it out once an hour).
- I plan to get all crafts except for cooking to 20 (they're all at 10+ right now), then focus on probably Weaving and Leather until they're around 50.
- I hate market wards... even with the update. It takes forever to find something at a reasonable price and the ward separation is terrible for armor sales. I have sold more since the update, but if there was an AH I'd be selling a ton.

I'm getting online now and "should" be on for at least 12 hours or so (unless the gf calls). If anyone needs a 16 CON in their party, I'm down.

Coldsnap

DrDogg said:
- So far, partying gets me crap SP and soloing is super boring (although I can get about 6k SP per hour on my CON). However, I realize I've been under-leveled for most of the parties I've been in, so I'd like to try a party at proper levels before I just make a macro bitching about SP in LS chat (instead of typing it out once an hour).

I was thinking of making a party of around r17 players in the linkshell to go out and do some stuff on Tuesday. I focus a bit more of my efforts on crafting so my MRD is sitting at r17 which isn't too low but it doesn't party well with the r25+ in the linkshell. I was thinking of maybe killing stuff in Cass Hallows.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sal - large parties (in proper rank range due to recent patch, ugh), 5 star leves, and regular grinding. That's always gonna be my answer because it works.

You can change equip mid-battle, but you get the mid-battle equip change debuff if you do.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
demosthenes said:
Rank 20 or level 20?

Story quests are based on rank, the next one is 23 I believe. You may be happy to know that if you're rank 20 you can start your class quests :)

It's based on RANK? Fuck, I've been switching around like crazy. They're all around Rank 10 except for GLA and BLA which are 12... Getting rank points is insanely hard for GLA right now... :/

careksims

Okay last night we're just being silly and people running across the road thought we were crazy >_>.

Treitei was putting up a cute show. Fun times.

ffxivgame2010-10-1802-32-28-62a.jpg

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
Sal - large parties (in proper rank range due to recent patch, ugh), 5 star leves, and regular grinding. That's always gonna be my answer because it works.

You can change equip mid-battle, but you get the mid-battle equip change debuff if you do.

Ugh, Ok. I guess Ill give that a shot. I always do my leves. Its between resets when Im left feeling sad :( Thanks

Sucky part is that I really dont feel like doing my other jobs right now. I cant mine because my inventory is shit. To clear up my inventory, I need to skill BSM and GSM to 15 to get rid of my Silver/Iron ore and sand. To skill ARM, I need the Silver/Iron Nuggets. To skill MRD, I need to party.

Rentahamster said:
It seems the antling nest is in the Copperbell Mines Fornicary

http://ffxiv.yg.com/npc/antling-digger?id=3103001

Coldsnap - we got more pumpkins and oysters to give you.

Yeah, I tried to run thru it during the beta. Theres a little section that goes underground and starts to look like Kuftal Tunnel except with tighter corridors and ants everywhere. I made it about 7 seconds in before I got pummeled with their ass rocks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Ugh, Ok. I guess Ill give that a shot. I always do my leves. Its between resets when Im left feeling sad :( Thanks
Sucky part is that I really dont feel like doing my other jobs right now. I cant mine because my inventory is shit. To clear up my inventory, I need to skill BSM and GSM to 15 to get rid of my Silver/Iron ore and sand. To skill ARM, I need the Silver/Iron Nuggets. To skill MRD, I need to party.
Here's a good way to clear your inventory - just give your crap to Dega and Ryo they're like rank 25-30 ish already.

Salaadin said:
Yeah, I tried to run thru it during the beta. Theres a little section that goes underground and starts to look like Kuftal Tunnel except with tighter corridors and ants everywhere. I made it about 7 seconds in before I got pummeled with their ass rocks.
Sweet. We like to kill Antlings now. Revenge is awesome.

I'm still trying to burn through all my copper/tin/yellow copper ores I have and have barley touched the 30 or so stacks I probably have on my retainer :lol

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
Here's a good way to clear your inventory - just give your crap to Dega and Ryo they're like rank 25-30 ish already.

LOL. I would but I need the stuff for myself.

I really wish ARM was able to turn a lot of the ores into nuggets so I wouldnt need to touch BSM and GSM. That way I wouldnt need to focus on so many crafts.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
I really wish ARM was able to turn a lot of the ores into nuggets so I wouldnt need to touch BSM and GSM. That way I wouldnt need to focus on so many crafts.

If you do everything yourself you're guna feel like you are running in circles, find a BSM/GLD friend to make your ore into nuggets, it will save a lot of time and effort.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
If you do everything yourself you're guna feel like you are running in circles, find a BSM/GLD friend to make your ore into nuggets, it will save a lot of time and effort.
Indeed.

Sal, don't try to do everything else, just specialize in one or two things, and rely on your friends (who specialized in other jobs) to do the other stuff for you.

Ravidrath

Regarding gear-swapping...

It's not really possible mid-battle. The macros take so long to execute likely to discourage this, but it's not the only thing preventing it.

There is a status effect that happens if you change your gear too often. It's called Uncomfortable, and the icon looks like the damaged gear icon w/ a blue background. The text says something about changing your gear has made it uncomfortable, diminishing its effectiveness.

I'm personally glad to see gear-swapping go away, but until they double our characters' inventory and give us unlimited-line macros, I'm going to be annoyed with the armory system and its effect on item wear.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One thing I'm looking forward to after getting rank 50 and a decent amount of class affinity from guildmarks:

Leveling a low rank subjob and busting faces using my high-rank Marauder abilites.

Rentahamster said:
One thing I'm looking forward to after getting rank 50 and a decent amount of class affinity from guildmarks:

Leveling a low rank subjob and busting faces using my high-rank Marauder abilites.

I read this and thought to myself "oh this won't be possible b/c the action points for later abilities will be much higher"

*goes to yg*

Yea, they're still 3. It's going to be nice to rank up on lower ranked melee jobs with any of them @ 50.

Cmagus

Is anyone having any issues with enemies not dying despite having 0 health? This has been happening to me alot lately especially with the Nightblade Assassin and the Wights.It's weird I just failed a leve quest because the last guy wouldn't die at all had 0 HP and I just kept wailing on him and no matter what couldn't kill it this is not the first time either.

blitz64

Cmagus said:
Is anyone having any issues with enemies not dying despite having 0 health? This has been happening to me alot lately especially with the Nightblade Assassin and the Wights.It's weird I just failed a leve quest because the last guy wouldn't die at all had 0 HP and I just kept wailing on him and no matter what couldn't kill it this is not the first time either.

I had this problem last night. I just abadon the quest. I think it was the same type nightblade assassin monster at the level 20 camp. Some people said it is because I used the detect option. Anyways, I'm never doing the nightblad assassin quest again.

Cmagus

blitz64 said:
I had this problem last night. I just abadon the quest. I think it was the same type nightblade assassin monster at the level 20 camp. Some people said it is because I used the detect option. Anyways, I'm never doing the nightblad assassin quest again.

Yeah thats the one I just failed.I didn't use Detect and this has happened to me on this one and the Wights Skeleton one as well it's weird must be a bug ah well

Salaadin

Jinko said:

Rentahamster said:
Indeed.

Sal, don't try to do everything else, just specialize in one or two things, and rely on your friends (who specialized in other jobs) to do the other stuff for you.

You guys are probably right. Its really bogging me down and Im spread out across too many jobs. Right now, my big inventory hog is silver and iron sand. Ill see what the BSMs and GSM of the LS can do for me.

To convert those, Ill also need fire crystals. Do we have any high ranked ALC in the LS? My friend is a rank 24 ALC and cant do the the Cluster - Crystal synth yet. Ill need to go higher than that to be safe.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For our next level up/grind party -

I suggest we move to Copperbell Mines to slaughter more ants and get more pumpkins.

We can also check to see if there are any behests there since we totally dominate the rank 30 behests now.

Rentahamster said:
For our next level up/grind party -

I suggest we move to Copperbell Mines to slaughter more ants and get more pumpkins.

We can also check to see if there are any behests there since we totally dominate the rank 30 behests now.

I'd love it if this were tonight b/c I can actually stay on for a block of time :D

Jinko

demosthenes said:
I read this and thought to myself "oh this won't be possible b/c the action points for later abilities will be much higher"

*goes to yg*

Yea, they're still 3. It's going to be nice to rank up on lower ranked melee jobs with any of them @ 50.

It's not going to matter all spells and skills are scaled aswell as gear and everything including stats.

So even if a THA subs cure V its only going to work like cure 1 until they get high enough to be optimal for cure 2.

Same goes for MRD abilities, add to the fact str is capped to the rank you are using and the effectivness will be either slightly better or slightly worse.

To convert those, Ill also need fire crystals. Do we have any high ranked ALC in the LS? My friend is a rank 24 ALC and cant do the the Cluster - Crystal synth yet. Ill need to go higher than that to be safe.

Clusters to crystals are rank 30 I think, good luck finding one of those.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Coldsnap said:
are pugs the only thing that can do this?

No, different classes have different abilities which can knock off different parts of different mobs. For example, Lancers and Gladiators do not have an ability to knock off head parts.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=29c4026362c3cb8add98892a8b84d9ed371bd789

Pugilists are the only ones who have abilities to effect five body parts. The other jobs have a max of four.

Just another convoluted way of doing crap.

Salaadin

I see a lot of Tier IIs on that chart. I wonder if the Tier Is also do it but SE just copped out and listed the Tier IIs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom