• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

Really happy with the plans for the late Nov. update and beyond.

Jinko said:
I dont think LS chat is half as bad as some you claim it to be.

Most of us are enjoying the game, but there are times when the game just keeps kicking you in the face and you can't take it anymore.

agreed.

Market wards change has made a big difference for me..

I was able to go in, find what I needed at a good price and leave.. no more slogging through 100s of retainers in one area and having to click/press a button 5 times to look at the bazaar..

people appear to be organizing themselves.. it's not just taxes as an incentive, it's people being able to find your stuff when they're looking to buy it.

This change + the auto-open bazaar when activating a retainer have made the wards experience much better.

So who else is actually in this for the long haul?

Also yes, please leave the LS before you quit for good so we have room for people who do want to play.

Azrael

Rentahamster said:
OK, so, solo play. I'm thinking that it would be worthwhile to get the Thaumaturge skill "Firm Conviction" on a melee class since it vastly increases defense while casting, according to what I hear from other THAs.

Don't tell me I need to level another subjob to 20 =/. I already took Conjurer to 20 for Fastcast and Cure II and plan to take Marauder to 20 for Intimidation. I was planning to stop leveling Thaumaturge at 16 once I got Stygian Spikes, but taking it to 20 might be a better idea. Why did SE have to make these guild traits so good? At this rate, I won't be starting Gladiator until winter :lol. You guys are going to be rank 50 and I'll just be starting my main job.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pretty happy with the fixes, played yesterday for the first time in a week and the whole experience was much smoother.

Good stuff.

zlatko

Banned
The amount of bull shit I just went through with this leve was exhausting. :/

I started up a level 20 leve solo and was going to test if I can do it at 4 stars or not. I've done it with 3 stars no problem, so figured it's time to see if I can step it up.

The short answer is no and yes. It's the one at Limsa where you kick fireflies butts and use them to check dodos for imps. Just kill 2 imps and you beat the leve.

I go to fight the fireflies who won't load up on my screen for a solid 2 minutes due to server lag. (Not on my end. I tried doing a video in the background after I died once, and the video streamed up fine. Running the game on same settings as always too) So when they load up I see they both con red, which I can't be sure if they are "red" or RED if you catch my drift. I start the fight and each hits me for 200 a pop...ouch, but I manage to kill one, run off, come back for the other. Each gave me 28 hand to hand skill....are you fucking serious? I nearly god damn died and scraped off with 71 health, and at this point I thought there was no way I'd take the Imps down.

I managed to get 1 imp thanks to lag being in my favor that the Dodo didn't jump in to fight until 60% of the imps health had been dropped and the imp wouldn't defend itself either till around then.

However, the h2h skill from it was about 88 if I recall correctly at the end of the fight. It's at this point I died to the dodo, because the game wouldn't disengage and put my weapons away even thought I asked it to 3 times, then when it did and I am running, it pulls them back out...dodo catches up and 1 shots me. Ugh.

Now I go and find the other Imp and think well whatever I'll take him out no big deal. WRONG...WRONG! He does a move now that does 1255 damage in 1 shot. I die, I come back and see his health hadn't regenerated...sweet he was down to a bit left I can take him with 500 HP...WRONG! I go to fight and the dodo saves his ass with barely a health bar to see. Ugh...double weakened, but he only had a sliver I can go back and just punch him once...WRONG! I come back he's at full health...wtf?! I rest up, look at the timer it's down to 6 minutes. All or nothing. I start the fight thinking it might be doable since the dodo and the imp are very far apart, and with the lag going on it till take the dodo a longer time to join in...WRONG. Dodo not only tromps over ASAP, but the lag only effects me. I do heavy strike...nothing happens on screen. I select it again, nothing happens. I'm pissed off, hit the key again, finally does it, but at this point it doesn't matter I've lost 400 health.

Fucking stupid. Not only am I able to do a 4 star solo I think if the lag wasn't such a pain in the ass during this, but really there is no reason to because the exp was WORSE than it is on 3 stars.

This is my biggest complaint about this game and the one that needs to get ironed out in the November patch, because I'm tired of getting ripped the hell off for my hard work in the game.

Jinko

Said that since beta there is no balance to the mobs, some have crazy powerful moves that can wipe a whole party.

Game needs level sync badly now IMO, especially now they have messed up party SP gains with the latest patch.

Kronotech

Azrael said:
Don't tell me I need to level another subjob to 20 =/. I already took Conjurer to 20 for Fastcast and Cure II and plan to take Marauder to 20 for Intimidation. I was planning to stop leveling Thaumaturge at 16 once I got Stygian Spikes, but taking it to 20 might be a better idea. Why did SE have to make these guild traits so good? At this rate, I won't be starting Gladiator until winter :lol. You guys are going to be rank 50 and I'll just be starting my main job.

Hah same here. My PGL is only 13 but once I get it to 20, I was planning on leveling MRD and CON so I can mix and match for my main Lancer. A loooong road ahead indeed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
God, seriously, the only thing that was keeping me playing this game was my ability to party with everyone else, and now that party SP sucks now...good grief.

Rentahamster said:
God, seriously, the only thing that was keeping me playing this game was my ability to party with everyone else, and now that party SP sucks now...good grief.

You and Kess are now something like 4-5 ranks ahead of the rest of us. Your party SP is going to suck now because of the enforced maximum 5 rank gap. This is still a million times more lenient than XI was in it's heyday, FWIW. Even though you and Kess were ranks 28/29 respectively in a party where Rain was rank 21, everybody was still getting some SP, just not as much as before.

I'm actually curious is it's +/- 5 levels from the level of the party leader. If so, then the solution would be to also assign the person who has a rank in the middle between the lowest and highest rank party members the role of party leader so everyone is within 5 levels and will get SP. We should test this. I'm about to hit rank 25 which would put me within 5 levels of Rain and within 5 levels of you and Kess, if I get the leader crystal by my name SP might be better than when you, Kess, or Rain are party leaders.

Shouta

Unknown Soldier said:
You and Kess are now something like 4-5 ranks ahead of the rest of us. Your party SP is going to suck now because of the enforced maximum 5 rank gap. This is still a million times more lenient than XI was in it's heyday, FWIW. Even though you and Kess were ranks 28/29 respectively in a party where Rain was rank 21, everybody was still getting some SP, just not as much as before.

Actually, no. FFXI's gap was always about 5 levels.

Jinko

Shouta said:
Actually, no. FFXI's gap was always about 5 levels.

You sure about that, I remember back when I started 11 first (NA launch) the gap was more like 2-3 for optimal XP distribution.

Ravidrath

The market ward improvements are pretty significant, it seems.

Last night I was able to get on and buy new tools for every craft and lots of new armor. Prices seem to be going down, too.

While the search option will help with this, I'd like to see a different Bazaar icon that indicates that the current bazaar actually contains ward-appropriate items in it. A lot of them were either left over from before the maintenance or had been cleared out of their tools, making it hard to find things.

I think I'd also like to see Wards for each class, that favor items that "favor" the particular class. I was trying to find a Shield for my CON/THM in the Battlecraft ward, and it was incredibly hard to find those, the thing was so full.

Jinko

Azzurri said:
Does it still run better on a controller, like FFXI?

TBH the keyboard and mouse are almost at a point that it plays like any other MMO at least as far as character control goes, they are still a long way off with the UI though.

The market ward improvements are pretty significant, it seems.

Last night I was able to get on and buy new tools for every craft and lots of new armor. Prices seem to be going down, too.

While the search option will help with this, I'd like to see a different Bazaar icon that indicates that the current bazaar actually contains ward-appropriate items in it. A lot of them were either left over from before the maintenance or had been cleared out of their tools, making it hard to find things.

I think I'd also like to see Wards for each class, that favor items that "favor" the particular class. I was trying to find a Shield for my CON/THM in the Battlecraft ward, and it was incredibly hard to find those, the thing was so full.

I doubt any of this will matter once the search function is added, you will beable to go into a ward look for an item and an icon will appear next to the retainers who sell that item, or at least thats what they are saying.

If they were planning this all along there wasn't much point in seperating the wards to begin with.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
I doubt any of this will matter once the search function is added, you will beable to go into a ward look for an item and an icon will appear next to the retainers who sell that item, or at least thats what they are saying.

If they were planning this all along there wasn't much point in seperating the wards to begin with.

Right. I really meant this more as a short-term solution before the search goes in to make them more usable. "Late November" is still a way's off.

I mean, what people really want is not to have to browse at all, and just have the system pull it out of their bazaar and give it to you immediately... hopefully that comes down the line, too, perhaps with an additional charge, depending on how far the NPC has to go to get it.

At that point, though, they may as well just eliminate the wards altogether, and I kind of don't see them ever doing that. :\

Cmagus

right now I am on the longest boat ride
boatx.jpg

Ravidrath

Question, BTW...

So today I was offered a Guildleve with THM Guildmarks as a reward. My THM is only R10, but I know I'm going to want those some day, so I'd like to do it.

Do I need to be THM when I do it in order to get them? Can I do the leve on CON and still get them, or what? What if I chance to THM before interacting with the gate?

Thanks for any clarification on this - seen a lot of stuff about people getting 0 Guildmarks for some reason, and would obviously like to avoid that if possible.

Azzurri

Jinko said:
TBH the keyboard and mouse are almost at a point that it plays like any other MMO at least as far as character control goes, they are still a long way off with the UI though.

Cool, never liked the controller

Shouta

Jinko said:
You sure about that, I remember back when I started 11 first (NA launch) the gap was more like 2-3 for optimal XP distribution.

2-3 levels provides the minimal difference between highest and lowest. I think it's about 5 or 6 that it starts getting a bit more wonky in experience gain.

Mind you, having 5 players around the same level and one below them isn't bad for experience gain directly, it just means they aren't pulling their weight as much. When you have 5 around the same level and 1 that's higher than the rest, that's when XP starts dropping because the base XP gained is based on the highest person of the level.

As far as I know the mechanics have been in place since launch, it's just that no one knew how it worked properly at the time.

Atrus

Gold Member
Ravidrath said:
Question, BTW...

So today I was offered a Guildleve with THM Guildmarks as a reward. My THM is only R10, but I know I'm going to want those some day, so I'd like to do it.

Do I need to be THM when I do it in order to get them? Can I do the leve on CON and still get them, or what? What if I chance to THM before interacting with the gate?

Thanks for any clarification on this - seen a lot of stuff about people getting 0 Guildmarks for some reason, and would obviously like to avoid that if possible.

You need to be the job for which the marks pertain to when you do the leve. Additionally, marks will only appear for any job you have that is within 10 levels of the leves rank.

For instance if you have 3 jobs at 10, then the rank 20 leves can randomly roll marks for those 3 jobs. If however, you only took one of those jobs to 21, then only that one job will have available marks for rank 30 leves.

This is beneficial because if you have multiple classes leveled like myself, you don't want to screw up your higher leve rewards because they're issuing mark rewards for low leveled characters that cannot complete the tasks.

Ravidrath

Atrus said:
You need to be the job for which the marks pertain to when you do the leve. Additionally, marks will only appear for any job you have that is within 10 levels of the leves rank.

For instance if you have 3 jobs at 10, then the rank 20 leves can randomly roll marks for those 3 jobs. If however, you only took one of those jobs to 21, then only that one job will have available marks for rank 30 leves.

This is beneficial because if you have multiple classes leveled like myself, you don't want to screw up your higher leve rewards because they're issuing mark rewards for low leveled characters that cannot complete the tasks.

Thanks for the info... no idea how I'm going to beat it at 10, but maybe I can get a few people to help out with it.

Now, any ideas for solo spots for CON18? I've been stuck at 18 for a week or more now, and really want to get to 20.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
Thanks for the info... no idea how I'm going to beat it at 10, but maybe I can get a few people to help out with it.

Now, any ideas for solo spots for CON18? I've been stuck at 18 for a week or more now, and really want to get to 20.

Try the squirrels south coerthus or the does in Gridania near tranquill.

You might be better off duoing with a MRD/GLD though.

carlo6529

Any woodworkers here? I think there is something screwed up with the game involving a Willow Wand.

Basically, i have been bringing up woodworking for the sole purpose of being able to repair my willow wand. Lvl after lvl after lvl.... i still can't repair my wand and keep getting the message " You decide to wait until you are more skilled to repair.."

I am lvl 15 carpenter now, and still the game won't let me repair the weapon. However, I can make the wands. Something is really messed up.

I thought maybe I needed some alchemy so I got that to lvl 5 but I keep getting the same message. The wand is a willow wand +1. Has this happened to anyone here?

Edit~ turns out there is something wrong with the specifi willow wand +1. I can repair other willow wands.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:

1. Find 2 to 3 meless in your rank range who know how to tank.

2. Find an enemy that hits them for lots of damage (but not "oh shit" damage)

3. AoE heal them.

Jinko

carlo6529 said:
Any woodworkers here? I think there is something screwed up with the game involving a Willow Wand.

Basically, i have been bringing up woodworking for the sole purpose of being able to repair my willow wand. Lvl after lvl after lvl.... i still can't repair my wand and keep getting the message " You decide to wait until you are more skilled to repair.."

I am lvl 15 carpenter now, and still the game won't let me repair the weapon. However, I can make the wands. Something is really messed up.

I thought maybe I needed some alchemy so I got that to lvl 5 but I keep getting the same message. The wand is a willow wand +1. Has this happened to anyone here?

Edit~ turns out there is something wrong with the specifi willow wand +1. I can repair other willow wands.

It's the same for any + item, I could repair brass rings at rank 10 GSM but couldn't repair the +1 version.

Ravidrath

carlo6529 said:

Might be related, but all of a sudden macros won't equip my Chocotail Saw +1 any more, it seems.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
Might be related, but all of a sudden macros won't equip my Chocotail Saw +1 any more, it seems.

You have to write /equip main "Chocotail Saw"

It currently doesn't know the difference between +1 and a normal item. (unless they changed it in the latest patch)

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
You have to write /equip main "Chocotail Saw"

It currently doesn't know the difference between +1 and a normal item. (unless they changed it in the latest patch)

It's more complicated than that...

"Plumed Bronze Pickaxe +1" and "Chocobotail Saw +1" don't work, but "Copper Scepter +1" works.

Wonder if the bug only happens if the item name is over a certain number of characters.

Also...

Pocket Shantotto acquired!

abq

Did some grinding with a group on crabs outside Mistbeard Cove today (good sp in a group of 6-7 people around maybe r20-25). We decided to explore inside the cove and found this mob, a blind eft. SE should have more mobs like the efts instead of all ladybugs and marmots. I think this's what r30+ people grind on. The cove also had lots of yarzons which give good sp if your group can handle them.

2efm0it.jpg

Cathcart

Yeah those things are mean looking. Lots of em around the higher level camps in Gridania. Also the warthogs around there look really cool.

Ravidrath

abq said:
SE should have more mobs like the efts instead of all ladybugs and marmots.

There are actually a lot of really scary things in all the zones, you just have to know where to look for them. They're all a bit off the beaten path, generally.

You might also find... Snurbles!

250px-Snurble.jpg

Eorzeapedia said:
Snurbles will heal you if you are injured. They will also cast protect on you.

But I agree that it'd be nice to be able to kill more things that are actually monstrous, rather than what have mostly been fantasy animals so far.

I'd really like to see the beast tribes in action, though. I guess I'll get to square off against an Ixal in my first CON class quest and there's a Faction quest against Sylphs, but I'd like them to have more of a presence. Reading Eorzeapedia, though, it sounds like each will have stronghold zones that aren't yet accessible.

When I did my first ARC quest, all I got to do was look at the Ixal, then he ran away and I had to fight some yarzons instead. :lol

In unrelated news, I think it is possible to make the loot system in the game bug out. If you've been playing for awhile with a group and things are dropping but never for you, I believe I've found a bug where it's because you aren't included in the loot rotation and so the game never gives you any drops. Logging out and back in seemed to fix it for me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've got a Level 20 character at the moment. How much further do I need to go before I get the next story quest(s)?

RurouniZel said:
I've got a Level 20 character at the moment. How much further do I need to go before I get the next story quest(s)?

Rank 20 or level 20?

Story quests are based on rank, the next one is 23 I believe. You may be happy to know that if you're rank 20 you can start your class quests :)

Salaadin

Those of you with jobs ranked in the high 20s, how did you do it? Right now, the only feasible way for me to gain SP solo is with guildleves. Im getting crap otherwise.

Ive tried mobs that con green (some sheep, ladybugs), yellow (sheep, cassiopeia), and orange (plains footpad).
Green gets me around 65-70 , Yellow is 80-90, Orange is 95-105. Sometimes its slightly lower or higher but not enough to make it worthwhile. At the rate things are, Ill need to kill 400 orange mobs to rank up once.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Any good info on what happens when you wear stuff above your rank? Lesser stats or less durability?

Salaadin said:
Those of you with jobs ranked in the high 20s, how did you do it? Right now, the only feasible way for me to gain SP solo is with guildleves. Im getting crap otherwise.

Ive tried mobs that con green (some sheep, ladybugs), yellow (sheep, cassiopeia), and orange (plains footpad).
Green gets me around 65-70 , Yellow is 80-90, Orange is 95-105. Sometimes its slightly lower or higher but not enough to make it worthwhile. At the rate things are, Ill need to kill 400 orange mobs to rank up once.

...I fight blue and get 100-150 per kill.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
...I fight blue and get 100-150 per kill.

I used to I skilled 18-20 almost exclusively on blue and green mobs and was getting 100-200 per kill, sometimes a little over that. Once I hit 20, it just stopped. Unless theres a better mob out there or something.

Effect

Had a rage quit moment last night trying to play the game. It had nothing to do with the UI at first but how a certain leve worked. Got one that said kill 4 naked moles. Got down to the last one and then it takes off. I figured it was the bug where it ran and healed up. So I followed it. Now this is a solo leve. As soon as I get to where it stops I went to attack it only for 8 more creatures just spawn right on top of me pushing the total I need up to 12. Without engaging any of them they all start attacking at once and I'm dead. Pure crap! Then the UI controls came into play so escaping just wasn't going to happen during all of it. I was so close to simply uninstalling the game at that moment. This was on top of begin attacked while I was trying to mine. End up dying there because there was no way to quickly stop what I was doing (was in mid swing and ended up being hit (crit hits) and switch to my weapon. This from a creature that had previously hadn't been aggressive toward me. Ugh!!!

The only frustrating free time I had last night was simply grinding mushrooms and those rabbit like creatures. That was boring though. I needed to play STO and Guild Wars to relax me after that. The only reason I'm even bothering to push my level higher during this free time is because I actually want to see more of the storyline but it's frustrating getting to that point. Not even sure I'm going to bother anymore at this point. I do wonder if anyone has managed to post the Gridania storyline on YouTube yet.

I've considered partying but the controls and systems are frustrating while just being responsible for myself. I don't want want the drama that will appear by having things go wrong while grouped with others.

Salaadin said:
I used to I skilled 18-20 almost exclusively on blue and green mobs and was getting 100-200 per kill, sometimes a little over that. Once I hit 20, it just stopped. Unless theres a better mob out there or something.

Oooooh. I'm 18, sorry :(

Try talking to Din, Kess, Ren, Hipstah (up to 28 now REALLY fast)

Jinko

Salaadin said:

Could it be that SE haven't got round to balancing XP for higher ranked mobs yet :lol

Both Renta and Kessah mentioned that solo xp at rank 29 was really bad and the only way they could get any was from large leve parties.

The problem with solo is that for you to gain SP you need the chance to proc on a mob which means a longer fight = more SP, problem here is that higher level mobs hit a lot heavier so you have to kill them quickly which means lower SP and in some cases none.

This is the problem I have with the SP system right now in that every fight is a dice roll (well the whole game is a dice roll for the most part) many who played 11 can remember the grind to get maximum weapon skill levels well expect 14's rank system to be very similar.

Bats are one of the best mobs you can fight for sp gains because they heal themselves, you can just keep hacking away and end up walking away with 400-500 sp a fight, kill it too fast and you get less sp.

Soloing a bat is probably unwise though, because normally they will outheal the damage you can generate.

nataku

Effect said:
Had a rage quit moment last night trying to play the game. It had nothing to do with the UI at first but how a certain leve worked. Got one that said kill 4 naked moles. Got down to the last one and then it takes off. I figured it was the bug where it ran and healed up. So I followed it. Now this is a solo leve. As soon as I get to where it stops I went to attack it only for 8 more creatures just spawn right on top of me pushing the total I need up to 12. Without engaging any of them they all start attacking at once and I'm dead. Pure crap! Then the UI controls came into play so escaping just wasn't going to happen during all of it. I was so close to simply uninstalling the game at that moment. This was on top of begin attacked while I was trying to mine. End up dying there because there was no way to quickly stop what I was doing (was in mid swing and ended up being hit (crit hits) and switch to my weapon. This from a creature that had previously hadn't been aggressive toward me. Ugh!!!

The only frustrating free time I had last night was simply grinding mushrooms and those rabbit like creatures. That was boring though. I needed to play STO and Guild Wars to relax me after that. The only reason I'm even bothering to push my level higher during this free time is because I actually want to see more of the storyline but it's frustrating getting to that point. Not even sure I'm going to bother anymore at this point. I do wonder if anyone has managed to post the Gridania storyline on YouTube yet.

I've considered partying but the controls and systems are frustrating while just being responsible for myself. I don't want want the drama having things go wrong while grouped with others.

Get used to levequests being like that... pretty much all the ones I take now have the last mob run away and spawn more when they stop. If you can't kill it before it runs you just have to heal up and stay away from it until it stops, then go in and kill what you can before you die if you're solo. :lol

Oh, and killing it before it stops doesn't mean more don't spawn. They still do, you just have one less to deal with.

zlatko

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Any good info on what happens when you wear stuff above your rank? Lesser stats or less durability?

I've been wondering the specifics on this myself.

I know that if you wear stuff that is above your level that yes durability diminishes quicker. It also will not give you the full stats of the item. Just by equipping it you can sometimes see that you don't get any +defense compared to that lower level item you have on. The closer you get to the items level the more of the stats you get. I tend to swap to equipment the moment I have more defense than what I'm currently wearing. (Repairs not being an issue for me, so they can wear as fast as they want)

I was also told that durability goes down at a MUCH bigger rate if the item is not favoring your class. More so than if it was something over your level, but still favored your class.

Another thing worth noting is you should always be looking for items to equip that favor your class as you do not get the full effects otherwise. This became apparent to me when I was level 18 Leatherworker wearing a level 14 cotton doublet vest. I saw a level 16 body piece that had +10 craftsmanship which was more than my body piece, but when I equipped it it actually gave LESS craftsmanship simply because it did not favor leatherworker.

So aim for gear that favors your class in each slot, and as long as it gives +stats compared to what you are wearing I'd say equip it. Wear seems to really go rampant on weapons though at least compared to accessories which barely lose any durability if any it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom