• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

Wonder if you have to use the weapon skills as that specific job or if i can, say, use concussive blow II on my lancer and pop some heads.

Atrus

Gold Member
Jinko said:
Seriously, as an alchemist I need the frikkin horns and can't knock the damn things off as a Lancer, thank you muchly SE.

They increase the chance for the horn so just kill more or buy it just like everyone else.

Canti

Aghhh. One of my powerline LAN signal boxes decided to randomly die today. With no electronic shops locally I'll have to wait a few days for a new one to arrive. I just hit goldsmith 20 yesterday too. Already having withdrawal symptoms :lol

demosthenes said:
Oooooh. I'm 18, sorry :(

Try talking to Din, Kess, Ren, Hipstah (up to 28 now REALLY fast)

I have no idea how hip did it. I was rank 22 archer when hip was rank 19 pugilist, now I am rank 26 archer and he is rank 28 pugilist. I suspect he is getting a mustache sp bonus.

Jinko

Atrus said:
They increase the chance for the horn so just kill more or buy it just like everyone else.

By the time I buy the horn its not worth making, as far as I know (perhaps I haven't had any luck) this item doesn't just drop you have to knock it off, thats the whole point.

Right now, playing FFXIV is like playing with a toy stuck in a plastic bag: it can be fun for a while and you can get the general idea, but you can't appreciate the full experience. Future updates will no doubt open the bag, but for now, it's sealed frustratingly tight.

Pretty much the perfect analogy for how I feel about the game right now.

abq

Unknown Soldier said:
I have no idea how hip did it. I was rank 22 archer when hip was rank 19 pugilist, now I am rank 26 archer and he is rank 28 pugilist. I suspect he is getting a mustache sp bonus.
While the moustache helps, I have a somewhat static grinding party in addition to the big leve parties we do with the LS. I would like to play with the LS more often, but the leve parties usually start in the middle of the night here in Europe. I haven't soloed for SP since r18-19. I don't know how much SP the antligns give you, but you should try the crabs outside Mistbeard Cove and if they are too easy move onto yarzons and efts inside the cove.

Cmagus

Got into a good party tonight.Got alot accomplished today but I must say we did every major leve, plus faction leves and some repeats and the exp was rather lousy didn't earn much.Got 2 ranks for conj and one for marauder and some nice armour/weapons.Also got smoked by a malboro ran around a corner thinking more marmots but nope giant Malboro right in my face 2k later im dead.

Haint

Ravidrath said:

Shame they played it this long, but didn't reach the point solo play becomes an exercise in futility. I noticed they talk up that angle a few times, I just had to SMH. It's wildly inaccurate and misleading. You can not make reasonable or acceptable progress soloing in the 20's, and it just gets increasingly worse. It is every bit as bad as FFXI, if not worse.

Atrus

Gold Member
Playing this game is really an exercise in frustration. Been doing lvl 30 leves for about 2 weeks now and it's still annoying that there's a bug where you're given the choice to teleport back to the aetherite node or the closest camp after you complete a leve.

If you choose to teleport back to the node, it works fine. If you choose to teleport to the nearest camp, someone always gets left behind and has to run.

The new market wards system? Finally, after weeks of play does my retainer sell something. Unfortunately, setting up my retainer in a ward makes it inaccessible at bells.

Who exactly believed it was a good idea to make me go to Uldah and then enter the correct ward, just so I can access my retainer? It's not as if the UI is responsive or the zones load quickly either so it literally takes ages just to drop off an item into storage.

Let's not forget gil either. Every 36 hours you can effectively get around 100-120k gil, which is about half a million to 2/3rds of a million gil a week just from leves alone, assuming that you don't have many marks.

If it weren't for the surge of crafting, we're looking at Zimbabwe-esque inflation.

Tabris

Reallink said:
Shame they played it this long, but didn't reach the point solo play becomes an exercise in futility. I noticed they talk up that angle a few times, I just had to SMH. It's wildly inaccurate and misleading. You can not make reasonable or acceptable progress soloing in the 20's, and it just gets increasingly worse. It is every bit as bad as FFXI, if not worse.

Thank you. That's what I needed to know not to play this game. I love having to work together on things in games like FFXI but unfortunately between work, a social life and playing other games, I can't find the time anymore to play a game like.

It's really the set up time for partying that requires the time. If it was something simple like you had a "quick instance lobby" like as if you were playing halo 3 or starcraft... that immediately gets you into an instance with the correct jobs.

Actually that's a really good idea. Why don't MMO's do that?

Atrus

Gold Member
Technically speaking, you CAN solo in this game.

One of the players on Figaro, Freetime King is a 44 MRD 43 Physical and I pretty much only see him soloing things. Not to mention that the lower physical level seems indicative of soloing.

Of course as was pointed out in the party, his name is 'Freetime King'.

Husker86

Tabris said:
Thank you. That's what I needed to know not to play this game. I love having to work together on things in games like FFXI but unfortunately between work, a social life and playing other games, I can't find the time anymore to play a game like.

It's really the set up time for partying that requires the time. If it was something simple like you had a "quick instance lobby" like as if you were playing halo 3 or starcraft... that immediately gets you into an instance with the correct jobs.

Actually that's a really good idea. Why don't MMO's do that?
WoW does that.

Cmagus

Atrus said:

One of the players on Figaro, Freetime King is a 44 MRD 43 Physical and I pretty much only see him soloing things. Not to mention that the lower physical level seems indicative of soloing.

How is that even possible to get to that level soloing like even if you grinded all day you would would probably only hit a level if that.In terms of the market place it's easier to use right now I mean I want the auction house but right now I can live with the wards I rather them fix other stuff right now.They really need to make leve's accessible by camp going to the main town gets tiring.

Atrus

Gold Member
Cmagus said:
How is that even possible to get to that level soloing like even if you grinded all day you would would probably only hit a level if that.In terms of the market place it's easier to use right now I mean I want the auction house but right now I can live with the wards I rather them fix other stuff right now.They really need to make leve's accessible by camp going to the main town gets tiring.

Given the low phys exp and 20 something goldsmithing he has to eat up the remainder of the phys exp, I'm guessing he was grinding on a lot of blues that gave little to no phys xp. He was still grinding off of Aldgoat Billies at Horizon when I saw him at lvl 37 or 38, mobs which should all be blue by the time you hit 30.

jiggle

the color thing is so meaningless
when i fought red flies/coblyns, i was lucky to get 50 sp
fighting green/yellow/blue jellies can net me 50-100 on average, sometimes even break 200
but at 28,000sp to rank up
those don't mean much

can't believe they had the audacity to say this game was designed to be played solo

Ahoy, mateys! I hereby declare the new name of our linkshell to be Pirates of Destiny, and our official uniform will be the Skull Eyepatch (Black)! Yarrrrrr!

eyepatch.jpg

Pay no mind to the non-pirate on the right, we just keep her around to swab the decks. :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Ahoy, mateys! I hereby declare the new name of our linkshell to be Pirates of Destiny, and our official uniform will be the Skull Eyepatch (Black)! Yarrrrrr!

eyepatch.jpg

Pay no mind to the non-pirate on the right, we just keep her around to swab the decks. :lol

Go to hell :lol

Salaadin

2 hour maintenance on Thursday:

"At the following time period, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 21, 2010 from 00:00 to 02:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV"

AT least this time we dont have to get our hopes up about inventory sorting. Late November! :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rank 41 Pugilist quits:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/diary/entry?e=42790

And like I was saying...
Yin Finity said:
And as far as how to level quickly past rank 25...
Just get in a party, preferably a large one, and go kill mobs for hours and hours on end^^. Lot and lots of grinding.

Preferably mobs that stay a live a long time, with a tank that takes a lot of damage, dps that does low damage, and healers that heal for small amounts... weird right??

Cmagus

Hopefully SE can pull people back in he does have a point with other players.Fabul I find has slowly been getting more and more empty camps are nowhere as full as they use to be.

Haint

Atrus said:

Cmagus said:

Yea, by the numbers, that's literally impossible--even grinding 24 hours a day. He had to either exploit the Party SP boost with multiple members AFK somewhere, or party a lot more than you think. Given a generous average of 3,000 solo SP/HR, there simply aren't enough hours to reach that point. If someone is aware of a chart listing all the SP TNR's you can calculate it yourself, but doing just a handful of higher levels by hand, I came up with 350 hours--and that's not even a fraction of the total SP required for 44. His physical/rank ratio is also indicative of doing nothing but large party grinding, where his Phy XP would be split across several party members and his SP would overtake it.

Salaadin

Lindblum doesnt seem as crowded either...even on weekends. I cant say if its because people are branching out to other camps or quitting the game but I just notice a lack of people compared to what Im used to seeing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Lindblum doesnt seem as crowded either...even on weekends. I cant say if its because people are branching out to other camps or quitting the game but I just notice a lack of people compared to what Im used to seeing.
The rank 30 areas are crowded now.

Haint

Salaadin said:

If you click the party tab in the menu, it will show you the number of players logged into your server. Mine has dropped around 40% since launch window, been going down steadily every week.

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
The rank 30 areas are crowded now.

Lol. I have so much catching up to do I guess.

Reallink said:
If you click the party tab in the menu, it will show you the number of players logged into your server. Mine has dropped around 40% since launch window, been going down steadily every week.

I checked it twice this weekend. One time it was at 2499 and another time was 1800 something.

Jinko

Well, i know how you feel about the game content, but don't you think you kinda ruined it to yourself by leveling so fast ?

Nothing more to be said IMO.

There just isn't enough to do right now, so people are powering through their ranks like no tomorrow, that would be fine if there was something at cap to do but sadly there isn't.

4 weeks and most people are either quitting, thinking that way, or taking time away from the game, its not looking good.

If it wasn't for crafting the servers would be barren.

Kronotech

So it's taking quite a bit of time to level up my PUG. I'm only R13 and still doing R10 leves. When should I graduate to R20 leves? I'm trying to do group leves as much as possible but usually end up soloing.

Cmagus

Kronotech said:
So it's taking quite a bit of time to level up my PUG. I'm only R13 and still doing R10 leves. When should I graduate to R20 leves? I'm trying to do group leves as much as possible but usually end up soloing.

I don't think lvl 20's come available to you till your around lvl 16 or so or up around there.If your in a party you may do fine if it is a large one.Soloing probably not yet enemies out there can be challenging for lvl 13.Id say wait till our at least 16-17 because i know you probably wont be able to take on footpad soldiers, the cactaurs, assassins and the likes they would crush you right now

Kronotech

Cmagus said:
I don't think lvl 20's come available to you till your around lvl 16 or so or up around there.If your in a party you may do fine if it is a large one.Soloing probably not yet enemies out there can be challenging for lvl 13.Id say wait till our at least 16-17 because i know you probably wont be able to take on footpad soldiers, the cactaurs, assassins and the likes they would crush you right now

Level 20 leves are showing up for me now that I made it to the camp. But I guess I'll wait on those until I know I can party. Thanks for the tip!

datamage

Kronotech said:
Level 20 leves are showing up for me now that I made it to the camp. But I guess I'll wait on those until I know I can party. Thanks for the tip!

I started doing R20 leves when my PUG hit R14, and I was able to do them just fine. In fact, they are pretty easy for me.

jiggle

started with 142/28,000 sp on conj
4 hours and 8 rank30 leves later
2,125/28,000
:lol
worst grind EVER

can't believe they botched the best thing they had going for the game
what's the point of even doing leves
can't get no xp because craft jobs had raised physical level way too high
mobs are rewarding next to no sp
gils will become worthless when inflation hits

i want to meet the designer of this game and promptly punch him in the face
because that's what he's doing to me every moment i play on DoM

Awntawn said:
Crafting aspect is solo, and a lot of people find it more appealing than the combat.

they were obviously referring to fighting
cuz
in what game can't you solo in crafting?

population wise, on rabanastre
from what i've noticed, seems to be hitting similar numbers as before
2000 at peak
1500 slow
1200 graveyard
the numbers not so kind with my FL/LS though :/

most rank20 leves are soloable at rank13-14
just avoid the ones with wrights, crabs, and footpads, and maybe puks

Thoraxes

Kronotech said:
Yeah I tried a few rank 20's yesterday and I was able to do some of them solo till the last mobs appeared.
Like the assassins. I had no problem killing all of them, but I could not kill the last two together at all. I could only get em about half down.

datamage

Thoraxes said:
Yeah I tried a few rank 20's yesterday and I was able to do some of them solo till the last mobs appeared.
Like the assassins. I had no problem killing all of them, but I could not kill the last two together at all. I could only get em about half down.

What job/rank are you using? Like I said, I started doing them @ pug/14 and they have been pretty easy. (Including the assassins). I should note that I have Stoneskin + Shockspikes, so that helps out a bit.

Edit: Ok, maybe the assassins weren't extremely easy at the end, but I just focus on one, kill, disengage, get hp back, and then kill the next.

Kronotech

datamage said:
I started doing R20 leves when my PUG hit R14, and I was able to do them just fine. In fact, they are pretty easy for me.

Ok I'll give it a shot. Is the gil reward significantly better than the level 10's? Also, did you stick to 1-star?

jiggle said:
2,125/28,000
worst grind EVER

Ouch!

datamage

Kronotech said:
Ok I'll give it a shot. Is the gil reward significantly better than the level 10's? Also, did you stick to 1-star?

Hmm, the gil reward is better, but not as big as going from the first rank leves to the 10. I'd say anywhere from 6k-12k is what I've seen so far. And yeah, I've only tried 1-star for now.

Oh yeah, some leves gives you marks I think they are called? (for your current class- so you can purchase new abilities at your guild.)

Jinko

jiggle said:
2,125/28,000
worst grind EVER

can't believe they botched the best thing they had going for the game
what's the point of even doing leves
can't get no xp because craft jobs had raised physical level way too high
mobs are rewarding next to no sp
gils will become worthless when inflation hits

Doing rank 30 leves is what caused me to semi-quit, its as if they forgot to balance the SP mobs give after rank 20.

I have reinvented my character, sold all my chainmail and lance and turned him into a Conjurer.

BTW be wary of high level players asking you to parties maxing them on 5 stars and leeching the shit out of your leves. (you will sit there getting next to nothing whilst they will be doing most of the damage and taking all the sp)

Bean Bandit said:
I am the owner of a linkshell in Final Fantasy XIV. This linkshell has reached capacity, but it has come to my attention that a number of members will be leaving the game, and have not left the shell of their own volition. Is there a way to remove someone from a linkshell without standing right next to them? Can I disband the entire linkshell and recreate it with the same name?

You have been connected to Agent Matt F..
Agent Matt F.: Hello, Bean Bandit, thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support. Just a few moments while I review your question, please.
Bean Bandit : Thanks
Agent Matt F.: You are always welcome to check for updates and news regarding FINAL FANTASY XIV on: www.FINALFANTASYXIV.com. Hopefully the information you need will become available soon enough.
Agent Matt F.: Are there any other issues I can assist you with right now, Jason?
Bean Bandit : So you do not have a solution I take it?
Agent Matt F.: I'm afraid we do not provide live support for FINAL FANTASY XIV.
Bean Bandit : Where CAN I take an issue like this? Is there even a place?
Agent Matt F.: I provided the website above, aside from that I really do not have more information to give you. There is information to be found I am sure, but I can only refer you to our official website.
Agent Matt F.: Are there any other issues I can assist you with right now, Jason?
Bean Bandit : Guess not!
Agent Matt F.: Thank you for visiting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center, Jason! Take care and hope to see you online!
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

The official web site routed me to the general support page which after several faq searches brought me to that chat in the first place.

THANKS MATT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom