• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLCKATK

It was good to be back!

dPekA9Q.jpg

Yu Narukami

Everybody from the GAF Free Company should post their FFXIV username. I have trouble knowing who's who.

I'll start. My character is Jaga Seven.

PS: Thanks Khronos Kaitos for your tips. Next week we can form a party if you want for Tam-Tara. I'm far enough now.

Azzurri

I doubt it. The classes and jobs are your talent system.

I do hope SE gets Lodestone working better though.

I see, I guess I feel there isn't enough skills for jobs that would differentiate your self from others, and having a sort of system you could spec in would help and be way more fun.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Posted in the other thread, but a few of us are hanging out on IRC between beta hours. Come join!

#GAFXIV on Rizon

Ala Alba

Been reading on up on the whole PLD vs WAR tanking. Anyone here that could shed a bit more light on the subject? I'm going to be rolling tank for ARR. Just figuring out what will work out best. The forum I was reading about this was here:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/55437-Gladiators-(Paladin)-vs-Marauders-(Warriors)

To be honest, I don't know which is better, but I like playing PLD in 2.0 far more than WAR, and I didn't have much trouble tanking Bratflox as a PLD.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Agreed, Ultros is unlike to keep a lot of its GAF players, mainly because GAF MMO players have a habit of quitting after 1 or 2 months.

I would say people joining Sargatanas are more likely to stay, that being said there are cliquey groups so it can be hard to fit in if you are new.

Yeah, I would say people really need to consider this. I'm going on a different Legacy server to play with a friend and all her FF peeps. I'm hoping I have people to level with tho! The economy doesn't bother me. Mostly because I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist.

Caerith

Nooo, curse you! I was seriously worried my character would be rolled back or something if I didn't log out, and I wanted to go start my TLoU full collectible run.

Despite getting my Lancer to lvl 30 this weekend, after trying out THM, I'm seriously considering switching to it as my main in Phase 4. Plus I want to play a Lalafell like my THM instead of a Hyur, they're just too darn cute.
Huh, wonder if I'll get rolled back. Beta lodestone is still showing me in level 15 gear (I was 20 when the server went down).

If so, I'll probably just play my gladiator alt for the rest of the beta. I rather enjoy my Archer, and that's what I want to roll with for phase 4 and release. I don't know if I'll sub after the initial 30 days (lifestyle choices), but I do like how this game is turning out. Just a shame Yoshida had to work with 1.0 material-- I'd love to see what would happen if he got a blank slate.

Teknoman

Reknoc

Anyone on GAF witness or partake in this?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...s-of-cute-midgets-romp-around-the-new-eorzea/

I saw this happening when I was doing the hunting log and I didn't know WTF was going on.

I saw a lot of them get murdered too by the mobs since that area was lvl 25+ and I was wondering why everyone was walking in a straight line together.

ahha

Yea, I marched. It's was fun though you couldn't even see half the people taking part because of culling lol.

mingus

Norua

Banned
Everybody from the GAF Free Company should post their FFXIV username. I have trouble knowing who's who.

I'll start. My character is Jaga Seven.

PS: Thanks Khronos Kaitos for your tips. Next week we can form a party if you want for Tam-Tara. I'm far enough now.

Good idea. The list in the OP needs to be updated. I've talked to a few guys quite a lot since the two sessions and I'd like to know who's who and who's planning on going where (Sarg/Ultros).

And you're welcome for the tips. I've done Tam-Tara now but I can join you if you need help of course.

As for the servers, we'll see during Phase 4 I guess. I know for a fact that I'm not going to give up ARR after a few weeks or even months.

I like the idea of playing with old players who know what they're doing, but I don't want to be the guy who doesn't know anyone when everybody else in the FC has been playing together for two years.
You know that feeling when you're with two people and they laugh about a story where you weren't there. "You had to be there to understand, man. *continues laughing*" Yeah.

On the other hand, I love the idea of starting fresh with everyone else, but if it means seeing the FC die after two months... It's kind of useless.

Zozobra

Ugggh, I've been out of the loop on how this beta is going, haven't had any time to play in phase 3 yet.

Can anyone comment on how BRD is handling in 2.0? I'd really like to play a support class and if BRD has become more of a ranged dd, I think I'd rather play a WHM instead.

ebil

Ugggh, I've been out of the loop on how this beta is going, haven't had any time to play in phase 3 yet.

Can anyone comment on how BRD is handling in 2.0? I'd really like to play a support class and if BRD has become more of a ranged dd, I think I'd rather play a WHM instead.
From what I've played with my lv50 Bard, it's a ranged DD. Songs are aura-like (you have to toggle them and they stay on) and continuously drain your MP. Honestly, buffs seem like an afterthought (not unlike 1.x I'd say).
Not saying it's not going to be fun to play, but if you're looking for a full-on support Job, Bard will most likely disappoint you.

LowParry

On the other hand, I love the idea of starting fresh with everyone else, but if it means seeing the FC die after two months... It's kind of useless.

I like the idea of going to Sarg is because you already have a dedicated bunch there playing. So I don't believe you'll have to worry about what happens after the 2 - 3 months. Though if people do decide to go with this option of starting new on a Legacy server, be active and talk with everyone in the FC. Don't be a stranger. I'm still a tad worried on the population of the server but I'll probably get over it and not put too much thought into it. My friends however are kinda/sorta the deciding factor where I go. We'll see. They all seem okay with joining a Legacy server. A few are on the fence because they're worried about the economy.

It's been a very strange and different approach with this game because in a way, it is brand new to a lot of people yet we know there are thousands ready to play from a previous version.

omlet

A few are on the fence because they're worried about the economy.

Pros:
- Item availability; players with stockpiles of material carried over and crafting/gathering jobs at high level mean plentiful resources for new players, no difficulty in finding someone to craft or meld for you
- Legacy players will have money to spend; find something to sell them and you'll have money, too
- Housing and other gilsinks will drain millions of gil from the economy

Cons:
- You won't be the first person to level a crafting or gathering job to cap to take advantage of cornering the market for 1 or 2 days until everyone else catches up and you are just one more of the many DoH/DoL undercutting everyone else for a quick buck.

LowParry

Pros:
- Item availability; players with stockpiles of material carried over and crafting/gathering jobs at high level mean plentiful resources for new players, no difficulty in finding someone to craft or meld for you
- Legacy players will have money to spend; find something to sell them and you'll have money, too

Cons:
- You won't be the first person to level a crafting or gathering job to cap to take advantage of cornering the market for 1 or 2 days until everyone else catches up and you are just one more of the many DoH/DoL undercutting everyone else for a quick buck.

And I will share this info. Valid points. :D

Riposte

So, lol. If I hop to Sargantanas...what are the odds of the GAF LS/FC lasting? I really want to join you guys, but I don't want to leave the few ppl I know behind and end up stuck with nobody D:

Very high I think. Not to speak ill of the new one, but don't forget most of the positive comments of new players is based on low level beta content which hardly require any effort on the LS/company. Old GAF LS has been through some shit.

Pros:

Cons:

Especially that first pro... reminds me of many FFXI expansion launches. I was mostly poor for the first half of my FFXI career, but whenever a new set of NMs or important quests that required a new farmable item came out, it was prime time to make bank.

Pros:

Cons:

Well at least your not trying to hide your bias. :3

Cons:
- You will be on an empty server where you have to rely on whether or not high levels feel like doing lower instances again to get easy groups.
- Fates not as fast and frequent since why would anyone but a small portion of leveled people hang out in lower zones when they can do the later fates that give better rewards?
- Economy benefits them. They will start with the money and the ability to get/make/gather the items. Hope you got a sugar daddy and the lack of pride so you can just take free handouts. Or I guess you could farm an item that they want so you can get a tiny portion of their mega ducets.
- Second class citizen to the majority of players.
- Crafting for yourself will not mater. Legacy players will be able to make everything and gather the mats faster and prices to sell will already be set based on how easy it is for them.

Pros:
- You get to talk to the people from Gaf that are staying legacy

Now what parts are me being intentionally bias for humors sake?

omlet

- You will be on an empty server where you have to rely on whether or not high levels feel like doing lower instances again to get easy groups.
- Fates not as fast and frequent since why would anyone but a small portion of leveled people hang out in lower zones when they can do the later fates that give better rewards?
There are lots of people on legacy servers that have unleveled jobs to level in ARR. There are lots of people that intentionally left jobs unleveled so they could level them in ARR. Even people with everything at 50 (which are the minority) will be revisiting low level areas to do low level story and class quests. I wouldn't worry; there will be people around to do low level instances with.

- Economy benefits them. They will start with the money and the ability to get/make/gather the items. Hope you got a sugar daddy and the lack of pride so you can just take free handouts. Or I guess you could farm an item that they want so you can get a tiny portion of their mega ducets.
You could look at it this way, but nothing is stopping you from working at those things yourself. In 1.x by the time I got to crafting and gathering it was the exact damn same situation and it didn't bother me a bit. I leveled my gathering and then with all the mountains of mats I collected I leveled my crafting.

- Second class citizen to the majority of players.
I don't know if I should laugh or feel insulted by this insinuation, so I'm going with your spoiler line on this one. New players are new players. Same with any MMO that isn't brand new. People who belittle new players aren't going to be quarantined to legacy servers.

- Crafting for yourself will not mater. Legacy players will be able to make everything and gather the mats faster and prices to sell will already be set based on how easy it is for them.
Just like it was for me in 1.x, it was mainly a competitionist and convenience thing. Making money was a secondary goal, and even amidst all the market competition, I got by just fine.

Look, I have played several MMOs and totally understand the appeal of a fresh new MMO, but let's not act like joining a legacy server in ARR is any different from joining any other MMO a few months after its release.

Look, I have played several MMOs and totally understand the appeal of a fresh new MMO, but let's not act like joining a legacy server in ARR is any different from joining any other MMO a few months after its release.

With one small huge difference. 90% of the rest of the players will be starting fresh as well, so you have the choice. Start fresh with a bunch of people also starting fresh, or start somewhere where others will already have all the monies/skills/items.

I don't know if I should laugh or feel insulted by this insinuation, so I'm going with your spoiler line on this one.

Insulted, defiantly insulted. Since as you guessed, all of these are written with a bias in mind. There is a little truth behind every word though. I do doubt "Legacy only" will become the new "JP only", but the precedent is set. :3

There are lots of people on legacy servers that have unleveled jobs to level in ARR. There are lots of people that intentionally left jobs unleveled so they could level them in ARR. Even people with everything at 50 (which are the minority) will be revisiting low level areas to do low level story and class quests. I wouldn't worry; there will be people around to do low level instances with.

And every single class of every single person is unleveled on a non legacy server.

Pros:

Cons:

I have an insane amount of low/mid tier ore on my character. When the game launches I will be trying to clear through a lot of it @.@

omlet

With one small huge difference. 90% of the rest of the players will be starting fresh as well, so you have the choice. Start fresh with a bunch of people also starting fresh, or start somewhere where others will already have all the monies/skills/items.

Huh? I said joining a legacy server specifically, not playing ARR in general. Joining a legacy server is no different from joining other MMOs a few months after launch. Yes, ARR is an anomaly in the sense that you have the choice to start fresh, but I'm not talking about that. Or do you mean you really think 90% of the players on legacy servers are going to be new people?

I do doubt "Legacy only" will become the new "JP only", but the precedent is set. :3
Sounds like it's set in your mind, which is, I guess, what ultimately matters. New players are gonna catch up in a few months and then there won't be any difference. New content is gonna be new to legacy players, too. We'll also have to re-learn our classes and any carryover content like primal battles.

Ala Alba

Unless you are a really hardcore player, I imagine any advantage of starting on a 'fresh' server will be pretty much gone within weeks, if not sooner. Generally, someone is always going to be leveling faster than you, gathering more than you, and crafting more than you.

LowParry

Unless you are a really hardcore player, I imagine any advantage of starting on a 'fresh' server will be pretty much gone within weeks, if not sooner. Generally, someone is always going to be leveling faster than you, gathering more than you, and crafting more than you.

Pretty much. I guess the fear with new players going to Legacy is a few things. The population with leveling and FATEs. Instances and so on. It's a valid concern really. By the time new players get caught up in level, where will Legacy players be in terns of end game. Bored? Just hitting lvl 50 with another job? Who knows. I still like the idea of joining Sarg with GAF because I know these are players who are going to be around. Whereas (and this is the ongoing GAF trend) Ultros players could be done with the game in a matter of 2 - 3 months. It's a tough decision and I get it. (Yeah I know the comparison sounds wrong when saying "Sarg/Ultros players. :( :( )

Huh? I said joining a legacy server specifically, not playing ARR in general. Joining a legacy server is no different from joining other MMOs a few months after launch. Yes, ARR is an anomaly in the sense that you have the choice to start fresh, but I'm not talking about that. Or do you mean you really think 90% of the players on legacy servers are going to be new people?

Sounds like it's set in your mind, which is, I guess, what ultimately matters. New players are gonna catch up in a few months and then there won't be any difference. New content is gonna be new to legacy players, too. We'll also have to re-learn our classes and any carryover content like primal battles.

Except it is an active choice. You have the choice of joining a the game "a few months after launch" or completely fresh. Each appeals to different people.

My choice is set in my mind, yeah. I can see why people would pick legacy though. Last few posts have been jokingly responding to what I though was a jokingly bias list by you. I mean a day or two of caped crafting before other people as the only con? Didn't realize we were being for serious here.

It's not about getting an advantage, its about maintaining balance. Given the choice I would always rather start on equal footing, and that choice is the exact thing we have now. The initial push of a mmorpg has normally been when the most people are actively playing and doing the same content as you, and I would like to enjoy that time before the game becomes a ghost town. If it doesn't become one, then even better but you really can't rely on that.

Zozobra

From what I've played with my lv50 Bard, it's a ranged DD. Songs are aura-like (you have to toggle them and they stay on) and continuously drain your MP. Honestly, buffs seem like an afterthought (not unlike 1.x I'd say).
Not saying it's not going to be fun to play, but if you're looking for a full-on support Job, Bard will most likely disappoint you.

Awww, that's unfortunate, WHM it is! Thanks for the reply!

omlet

My choice is set in my mind, yeah. I can see why people would pick legacy though. Last few posts have been jokingly responding to what I though was a jokingly bias list by you. I mean a day or two of caped crafting before other people as the only con? Didn't realize we were being for serious here.

Well, yeah, the day or two comment was an exaggeration, obviously. Maybe I should have put a winky face after that comment. The rest, perhaps less obviously, was for serious.

I didn't list other cons to joining a legacy server in that post because I was responding only to comments about the economy. Leveling, instancing, and people to do FATEs with are not directly related to the economy.

This thread makes me sad. Both Ultros and Sargatanas will be a great choice for anyone in our community. It's up to the individual player to decide where they will feel the most comfortable and have the best experience. There is no need to attempt to influence or convince people otherwise or post condescending comments about either server. It's just trashing up the community and feedback threads.

theta11

The problem with legacy is averages. The position where the average player is along the grind. The additional gil, items and experience the legacy characters enter into the economy will push the population through the content faster than a new server.And that scares me in MMOs. The worst thing you want to do is to get through content too fast.

On the other hand the new servers are completely unknown. You don't know what the population is going to be like, you don't know which Free Companies are going to be dominant and how the market will evolve. So you are kinda betting blind here and I can see why people with legacy characters are scared. I don't have a legacy character but if I did I would probably just opt to play with where my friends are playing and just ditch my toon. It really makes no difference.

When the day comes and the game goes into open beta everyone can make more informed decisions on what to do. If the legacy servers turn out to be shit then they can roll on the new servers. If the new servers turn out bad then everyone can just roll on legacy server. If they are both bad well...play with your friends while it lasts.

omlet

Fewer people doing FATEs actually sounds like a good thing to me... I don't think we'll be that lucky though.

I'm pretty sure they said something about FATEs scaling to the number of people in the area, didn't they? I mean, I did a few level 10ish FATEs with like... 5 people at appropriate level. It takes longer, but some of them can be done with just a few people (maybe the ones with bosses would be harder or impossible).

I'm going to see if I can find what I'm remembering about this... I think it was a dev tracker post on the beta forums...

I'm pretty sure they said something about FATEs scaling to the number of people in the area, didn't they? I mean, I did a few level 10ish FATEs with like... 5 people at appropriate level. It takes longer, but some of them can be done with just a few people (maybe the ones with bosses would be harder or impossible).

I'm going to see if I can find what I'm remembering about this... I think it was a dev tracker post on the beta forums...

I believe it is that their frequency scales to the number of people.

Aeana

Very high I think. Not to speak ill of the new one, but don't forget most of the positive comments of new players is based on low level beta content which hardly require any effort on the LS/company. Old GAF LS has been through some shit.

But this is exactly what's been happening. Several of you legacy players have decided to turn server selection into some sort of war. It's pretty silly. Especially since it started out sounding like the new LS wasn't even welcoming to GAF players.

StMeph

I was finally able to get into the Beta and check it out this past weekend. Overall my feelings are mixed, but positive.

I didn't like it much at first, since it was only superficially like XI. The races were the same, the music was nostalgia-inducing, and several items make a reappearance, but the game itself just builds steam really slowly. The starting levels are really boring. It doesn't open up until you get more skills, and doesn't open up further until you can mix class/Job abilities.

A few things still bug me about it, which I will also have to come around to. Other contemporary MMOs with full voiced NPCs like TOR and TSW have spoiled me in that sense, and XIV, while visually lush, lacks in that area. The music is great, but the sound effects feel off to me, like they're off and not tethered to the sources that should be making those sounds.

My final gripe is starting out with some classes that don't make much sense to me. The starter classes have no real association with Final Fantasy, and are basically junior versions of the familiar Jobs. Why a Lancer when a Dragoon exists? XI's basic/advanced Jobs did the same thing without adding duplicate-feeling classes. That's just kind of boggling, but not a real problem.

XI aged gracefully, with each new expansion adding plenty of content and storylines. Hoping the same thing will happen with XIV ARR.

Riposte

But this is exactly what's been happening. Several of you legacy players have decided to turn server selection into some sort of war. It's pretty silly. Especially since it started out sounding like the new LS wasn't even welcoming to GAF players.

If there is any push from the legacy side (for GAF, can't speak for the general population) it is out of concern for splitting GAF up between multiplayer servers. Current players have more to lose than new ones (and are attached to a group which has proven itself durable despite the reputation of GAF guilds/etc), so it is only natural if they are decided on the subject.

I don't know about not welcoming new players though. Maybe I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom