• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Especially since it started it sounding like the new LS wasn't even welcoming to GAF players.

I (and Teknoman) do apologize for that confusion and miscommunication caused by him jumping the gun and me not painting a more clear initial answer, but that's all it was, and I tried for several posts to explain that. There was an LS formed specifically to be welcoming to GAF players in general. We had it in 1.x and were gonna keep it going in ARR. It's just that that LS wasn't Red Dot, but NeoBELIEVE (which is now going to be replaced by the LS Gathered Against Fate serving that same purpose of being welcoming to GAF players in general).

If people wanna go to a fresh server, more power to them; I can understand the appeal and I'm not going to fight anyone about that decision in and of itself. We just want people to be aware of what they are trading away by doing so instead of joining the legacy server (obviously for some it's not an issue requiring much consideration, but for some others it is).

Teknoman

Speaking from FFXI experience, Stars of Destiny lasted a pretty long time, and I think that was majority GAF as well. So players from each side should have nothing to worry about. Personally I know I bailed on SWTOR and GW2 because they didnt hook me. FFXI was in prep for XIV...but we all know how that turned out :p That being said, if the story is good, has lots to explore with sound game mechanics and cool high lvl activities, people should stick around for awhile.

Ala Alba

It takes longer, but some of them can be done with just a few people (maybe the ones with bosses would be harder or impossible).

For what it's worth, I level synced to a level 31 boss FATE as a GLD with only my trusty Chocobo as backup, and I was able to take out ~50% of it's HP (over the course of 8 long minutes) before any other players joined in. I might have run out of time before killing it, but I was definitely able to stay alive.

My conclusion is that small groups of players (even only a couple) should be able to take on FATEs.

Riposte

For what it's worth, I level synced to a level 31 boss FATE as a GLD with only my trusty Chocobo as backup, and I was able to take out ~50% of it's HP (over the course of 8 long minutes) before any other players joined in. I might have run out of time before killing it, but I was definitely able to stay alive.

My conclusion is that small groups of players (even only a couple) should be able to take on FATEs.

The problem with FATEs if that they have to be designed in a way that it doesn't matter who is doing them or how many and they are also going to be designed so that someone else can't ruin your day (since everyone is allowed to do them). I don't believe they will ever be all that interesting because of this.

is the fresh start server still going to be Ultros ?

Technically you could start fresh on Sargatanas or any legacy server :3

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
But this is exactly what's been happening. Several of you legacy players have decided to turn server selection into some sort of war. It's pretty silly. Especially since it started out sounding like the new LS wasn't even welcoming to GAF players.

What? When did the new LS sound like it wasn't welcoming GAF players? That's the whole reason for the new LS. If you're talking about what omlet said then you're confusing two different groups (which I even told you about).

I do agree with the tug of war stuff though but it's hardly only legacy players doing it. The reason we edited the OP with info on each server and group was to try and reduce that but of course it's not gonna work out like that.

omlet

Aren't the Legacy servers likely to be horribly underpopulated without an influx of new blood?

They were pretty crowded this weekend!

I think SE is counting on all the players who quit in 1.x picking up their old characters and on people invested in their 1.x characters to invite their friends to legacy servers.

Norua

Banned
Any chance to get a system allowing switching servers (even if we have to pay or it's a 1 time deal per account or character)?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They were pretty crowded this weekend!

I think SE is counting on all the players who quit in 1.x picking up their old characters and on people invested in their 1.x characters to invite their friends to legacy servers.

SE also slacked on content in FFXI because they thought everyone was going to gleefully jump ship to XIV...

Aeana

What? When did the new LS sound like it wasn't welcoming GAF players? That's the whole reason for the new LS. If you're talking about what omlet said then you're confusing two different groups (which I even told you about).

I do agree with the tug of war stuff though but it's hardly only legacy players doing it. The reason we edited the OP with info on each server and group was to try and reduce that but of course it's not gonna work out like that.

Shrug. I still haven't made my decision about where I'll be playing, but the primary point of that post was that I'm kinda tired of seeing people being super pushy about where people play. It sounds like your group is pretty tight-knit and should be fine even without new people, and you'll probably find plenty of new members whether they're people from here join or not.

frequency

I'm still bitter when I tried to join the GAF LS in the original release and no one ever gave me a pearl so I just went to a different server and started over. And to further add insult, some months later I get a PM telling me to throw away my pearl (that I never got) because the LS was full.

Riposte

I'm still bitter when I tried to join the GAF LS in the original release and no one ever gave me a pearl so I just went to a different server and started over. And to further add insult, some months later I get a PM telling me to throw away my pearl (that I never got) because the LS was full.

As bad as that sounds... I doubt that ever happening with ARR. 1.0's linkshell system was ridiculous lol.

Ravidrath

That's weird - sorry that happened. You shouldn't take it personally, though, because running LSes in 1.x was a clerical nightmare. We CONSTANTLY had to reform because of players that quit and that game's complete lack of LS management tools.

Must've gotten on the list of members and fell through the cracks when it came to giving you a pearl.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

I wasn't able to invite people back then but sorry about that. =\

C.Dark.DN

Banned
There needs to be more transparency on what legacy players will be doing when the game comes out.

I don't know mych about ARR's endgame, but In vertical progression games, you focus on what you need to progress while building a core group of players for endgame dungeons that typically have lockouts. There might be a new profession for a job or economic advantage legacy players need, and people usually power level those things to catch up. It appears experiencing level 1 through level cap's story for the sake of it will be secondary and could be treated as a single player experience unless others are doing it when they are.

New players have to worry about having people doing low level group activities and having a slot open for them in endgame content.

notworksafe

So I stumbled upon a sealed copy of the 1.0 CE. As someone who already has the 1.0 Standard Edition registered to my account, is there any way to add this CE to my account and get the ARR CE stuff?

omlet

There needs to be more transparency on what legacy players will be doing when the game comes out.

I don't know mych about ARR's endgame, but In vertical progression games, you focus on what you need to progress while building a core group of players for endgame dungeons that typically have lockouts. There might be a new profession for a job or economic advantage legacy players need, and people usually power level those things to catch up. It appears experiencing level 1 through level cap's story for the sake of it will be secondary and could be treated as a single player experience unless others are doing it when they are.

New players have to worry about having people doing low level group activities and having a slot open for them in endgame content.

None of us know much about ARR's endgame yet besides what Yoshi has been telling us because none of it is in the beta. What kind of transparency are you looking for and which legacy players are you looking for it from?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think many legacy players are simply going to be picking up where they left off--at least I will. For some of us that means we'll be getting back into the endgame content. For some it means leveling one or more classes. All legacy players are going to have to be doing class quests and story quests because you have to do them to unlock abilities, dungeon access, and other features (like grand companies, airships, etc.) so they will be doing (a subset of) the same low level content as any new players.

Jijidasu

Sorry if it seemed as though I was being pushy for the Durandal shell, though that's not the case. It might have seemed a little condescending in the way I worded what is required, too (let's be honest though, not being able to speak Japanese on a Japanese server is going to result in some short comings when trying to mingle). In reality very few people have expressed interest and as a result I'm going to be discussing with Darte and Gromph later about how we should use what space we have wisely (in this case because we can only have one Free Company per character it would be a shame to only have 6 members of who only a couple are active or interested in doing end content).

As a result I'm thinking of opening a LS specifically for all people to use which can serve a variety of purposes (on the fly type content run, dungeons, etc) and those who are interested (and can speak Japanese) can join us in one my old friends' new Free Company which will be populated with players seeking the thrill of end game.

This is just a thought at the moment but it seems to make sense, at least to me.

Riposte

Sorry if it seemed as though I was being pushy for the Durandal shell, though that's not the case. It might have seemed a little condescending in the way I worded what is required, too (let's be honest though, not being able to speak Japanese on a Japanese server is going to result in some short comings when trying to mingle). In reality very few people have expressed interest and as a result I'm going to be discussing with Darte and Gromph later about how we should use what space we have wisely (in this case because we can only have one Free Company per character it would be a shame to only have 6 members of who only a couple are active or interested in doing end content).

As a result I'm thinking of opening a LS specifically for all people to use which can serve a variety of purposes (on the fly type content run, dungeons, etc) and those who are interested (and can speak Japanese) can join us in one my old friends' new Free Company which will be populated with players seeking the thrill of end game.

This is just a thought at the moment but it seems to make sense, at least to me.

Why not just make a linkshell instead of a Free Company?

EDIT: Oh I think read your post wrong.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Sargatanas GAF will work the same with, with members from the LS getting priority on membership. I believe it has to work this way if you want to have a future.

Caerith

How does one put materia into materia slots? All I can see in the updates and on the beta site is that it's better than ever, but that doesn't tell me how to use it.

Xux

How does one put materia into materia slots? All I can see in the updates and on the beta site is that it's better than ever, but that doesn't tell me how to use it.
At level 18, you do some quests somewhere in Thanalan that let you gather the catalysts and meld materia. I don't know where it is in ARR but I know that much carried over from 1.0.

Caerith

At level 18, you do some quests somewhere in Thanalan that let you gather the catalysts and meld materia. I don't know where it is in ARR but I know that much carried over from 1.0.
I did a quest that let me create materia, but the next quest in that line required me to be an 18 crafter. Is materia limited to crafters? Sorry, DoHs? Can any Hodor imbue into any item, or is it craft-specific?

Any class can make materia out of spiritbonded equipment but a crafter has to attach it. I'm not sure if they changed it but in 1.0 the level of the crafter needed to be as high as the level of the item. Whichever crafter is needed to repair the item is the same one that can attach materia to that item.

Caerith

Any class can make materia out of spiritbonded equipment but a crafter has to attach it. I'm not sure if they changed it but in 1.0 the level of the crafter needed to be as high as the level of the item. Whichever crafter is needed to repair the item is the same one that can attach materia to that item.
In 1.0 at least, crafters could repair equipment without it leaving your inventory. Can you have a crafter imbue your equipment without it leaving your inventory? Is the bazaar-for-driveby-repairs still in the game? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but this isn't in the manual and I really don't want to max out all the crafting jobs if I can avoid it-- I already did that in XI, I don't want to do it here.

In 1.0 at least, crafters could repair equipment without it leaving your inventory. Can you have a crafter imbue your equipment without it leaving your inventory? Is the bazaar-for-driveby-repairs still in the game? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but this isn't in the manual and I really don't want to max out all the crafting jobs if I can avoid it-- I already did that in XI, I don't want to do it here.

In 1.0 you could only slot materia to gear that was in your inventory. I haven't had a chance to try putting materia on someone elses gear in ARR, but the interface for materia is completely different so it may be possible now. I'm not sure about the bazaar repairs, I think they removed bazaars from player characters so I'm not sure how that works now. NPC repairs seem cheap and viable though.

kiryogi

Banned
In 1.0 you could only slot materia to gear that was in your inventory. I haven't had a chance to try putting materia on someone elses gear in ARR, but the interface for materia is completely different so it may be possible now. I'm not sure about the bazaar repairs, I think they removed bazaars from player characters so I'm not sure how that works now. NPC repairs seem cheap and viable though.

Actually, towards the end of 1.x, they let you slot materia for folks that couldn't without having any on hand. I think it just cost you catalyst tho.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Jinko add me on Ultros next week I wanna try out ifrit and stuffs :p I've been busy walking my friends through the game so I never bothered to join the gaf guild as well I wouldnt be doing much with em at the time.

Actually, towards the end of 1.x, they let you slot materia for folks that couldn't without having any on hand. I think it just cost you catalyst tho.
I still need to learn how all the materia stuff works, I probably should of did that in in 1.x. All I know is it takes spirtbound gear and you convert it or something.

Teknoman

Just had the chance to read it in full but:

• Exploring the expansive areas in the game
  • Potential new friends always running about as you explore
  • An environment that's constantly changing in real time
  • Conversation with NPCs revealing the world's lore
  • The thrill of a good fight
  • Trying on a newly obtained piece of gear
  • Leveling up and learning a new skill
  • Acquiring return and teleport to travel between areas
  • Progressing to an area you've never seen before

I believe playing an MMO should be about enjoying the world as a whole. My first MMO was Ultima Online, and I have to admit I wasn't the fastest learner starting out. The world was huge, everyone I met was from another country, and I didn't understand English. After carefully checking all the menus, I managed to get out into the field to fight a chicken...but I was barehanded. To make matters worse, I was PK’ed shortly after (lol). Despite all these frustrations, however, it was an incredible gaming experience. I never realized games like that existed before. The beginning of FFXIV: ARR has been designed to offer newcomers that same sense of wonderment.

• Create a quality character to represent you, be it manly, cute, rugged, or sexy.
  • Enjoy a beautiful, expensive world that's constantly changing.
  • Connect with other players from around the world.
  • Speak with NPCs and reveal the game's story.
  • Take your time as you use the map and explore.
  • Take on fearsome looking monsters and revel in your victories.
  • Enjoy the freedom of progressing through the story alone or with friends.
  • Discover something new each time you visit your favorite places.
  • Follow the story of a crystal, befitting a FINAL FANTASY title.
  • Start off as a fledgling adventurer and grow to be something greater.
  • Board an airship and set out on a great adventure.

Yoshi-P really knows what to aim for in an MMO and Final Fantasy in general for that matter.

Caerith

The new story's so cheesy. I miss how personal and low key the original story felt.
I'm not sure "cheesy" is the right word for it. I think you're looking for "objectively bad." I posted here, but nobody cares because they're too busy being offended at leaflets, but, seriously, that cutscene with the Garleans when you first board an airship? That scene needs to be cut from the game and be buried at a crossroads. I don't mind the story, but their telling of it is lacking.

Ravidrath

None of us know much about ARR's endgame yet besides what Yoshi has been telling us because none of it is in the beta. What kind of transparency are you looking for and which legacy players are you looking for it from?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think many legacy players are simply going to be picking up where they left off--at least I will. For some of us that means we'll be getting back into the endgame content. For some it means leveling one or more classes. All legacy players are going to have to be doing class quests and story quests because you have to do them to unlock abilities, dungeon access, and other features (like grand companies, airships, etc.) so they will be doing (a subset of) the same low level content as any new players.

What's also clear now is that everyone will have to get through the story together to unlock all the dungeons.

So as much as I want to finish my relic, I'm guessing I won't be able to do that until I work my way through most of the story to unlock all the dungeons/fights/etc. required to complete it.

Xux

I'm not sure "cheesy" is the right word for it. I think you're looking for "objectively bad." I posted here, but nobody cares because they're too busy being offended at leaflets, but, seriously, that cutscene with the Garleans when you first board an airship? That scene needs to be cut from the game and be buried at a crossroads. I don't mind the story, but their telling of it is lacking.
Yeah, the Garlean scene is pretty terrible. Everything not being so black and white was a pretty big theme of the original. Not being able to tell if you were in an Echo or not without paying attention to the transitions, whether it was a design choice or a technical limitation, was neat, too. Now there's a sepia filter and your character brings up something about the character's past that they haven't mentioned by the second scene.

Everything seems so cliche and on-the-nose now.

Ravidrath

So I stumbled upon a sealed copy of the 1.0 CE. As someone who already has the 1.0 Standard Edition registered to my account, is there any way to add this CE to my account and get the ARR CE stuff?

I believe you'll be able to just register those item codes and get them, yeah.

Riposte

I wouldn't say it is bad, but cliche, sure. The original storyline, before the meteor plot, was surprisingly complex. At least the Ul'dah one.

Caerith

I only completed the quests up to level 30 (Ul'Dah, Conjurer) in 1.0, but I don't remember the story. I remember doing stuff, and specific scenes, but not what the story itself was. In ARR, I at least have an idea of what it's supposed to be-- a realm recovering from calamity faces threats on three fronts: beastmen insurgency and mysterious masked mages, the looming threat of a repeat invasion, and the economic struggle from dealing with the last war.

However, they really need to visit a script doctor. Does whoever wrote FFXI still work at SE? Maybe he or she could knock some heads.

Jijidasu

Hey SE, where's my West Shroud at!?

the-black-shroud-combo.jpg

ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg

This site has a bunch of cool stuff. Looks like a bit of North Thanalan has yet to be opened up, too. Really anxious to see how they changed Coerthas and how many zones it'll be composed of. Love my Coerthas!

kiryogi

Banned
Hey SE, where's my West Shroud at!?

This site has a bunch of cool stuff. Looks like a bit of North Thanalan has yet to be opened up, too. Really anxious to see how they changed Coerthas and how many zones it'll be composed of. Love my Coerthas!

Think Coerthas has become a snowy region based off the early ARR stuff ya?

Jijidasu

Think Coerthas has become a snowy region based off the early ARR stuff ya?

Yeah, one part of it at least. Coerthas was huge in 1.0, think it was comprised of 5 areas. Munba said he heard something about it being only 2 zones in ARR, though. Kind of sad if true, place has plenty of room for content.

Ravidrath

Yeah, one part of it at least. Coerthas was huge in 1.0, think it was comprised of 5 areas. Munba said he heard something about it being only 2 zones in ARR, though. Kind of sad if true, place has plenty of room for content.

I'd rather it be two zones now with stuff to do than 5 zones with nothing to do, though.

Coerthas and Mor Dhona really had almost no reason to visit them until the very end of the story.

I'm guessing the rest will open up when we get closer to the first expansion, when it's time for us to get into Ishgard,

Also, hadn't seen Castrum Oriens - interesting.

Jinko

Yea Yoshi said they plan to add up to another 40 zones, I don't mind so much that Coerthas is only 2 zones as long as there are paths branching off it at some point with new variety.

As for West Shroud, it was mentioned in the storyline that Camp Emerald Moss was in a pretty bad way, so maybe it is closed off until they progress the story.

Ravidrath

As for West Shroud, it was mentioned in the storyline that Camp Emerald Moss was in a pretty bad way, so maybe it is closed off until they progress the story.

Maybe it'll be added back in when King Moggle Mog returns?

Although it sounds like all the old Primal fights will be in at launch, and Titan will be added as well.

Munba

But i noticed that in the ARR Achievements there are 19 aetherithe to find in Coerthas so i don't think it's only 2 zones. Mordhona instead have only 4 aetherithe (so i think it's 1 or 2 zones).

Jijidasu

But i noticed that in the ARR Achievements there are 19 aetherithe to find in Coerthas so i don't think it's only 2 zones. Mordhona instead have only 4 aetherithe (so i think it's 1 or 2 zones).

Oh, achievement from the beta? Nice find man! Bugger I can't see the achievement list online :( I'll try find it somewhere on a database

Munba

I saw them in the Beta3 UI. But the only thing that i'm thinking right now is... are those achievements from the 1.0 or are the new ones? Mmmh, really dunno.

Bogeypop

Huh, wonder if I'll get rolled back. Beta lodestone is still showing me in level 15 gear (I was 20 when the server went down).

If so, I'll probably just play my gladiator alt for the rest of the beta. I rather enjoy my Archer, and that's what I want to roll with for phase 4 and release. I don't know if I'll sub after the initial 30 days (lifestyle choices), but I do like how this game is turning out. Just a shame Yoshida had to work with 1.0 material-- I'd love to see what would happen if he got a blank slate.

Don't worry, I think Lodestone is bugged. Characters I logged out "in time" are still the same levels they were from last weekend's beta.

I'm fairly certain I'll re-sub after the first complementary month, but beyond that I'm not sure. Depends on the end-game content, and on if leveling will feel like a slow-burn since the last few levels on my LNC haven't been too fun..It could just be because story quests have dried up, but I also think it has to do with me enjoying combat with my THM much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom