• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

I saw them in the Beta3 UI. But the only thing that i'm thinking right now is... are those achievements from the 1.0 or are the new ones? Mmmh, really dunno.
Pretty sure that's just copy pasta from 1.0 since it includes aetherial gates which aren't in ARR as far as I know. The Black Shroud achievement says there are 23 still, as well, which is, like, 18 too many.

I'm not sure "cheesy" is the right word for it. I think you're looking for "objectively bad." I posted here, but nobody cares because they're too busy being offended at leaflets, but, seriously, that cutscene with the Garleans when you first board an airship? That scene needs to be cut from the game and be buried at a crossroads. I don't mind the story, but their telling of it is lacking.

How about the main masked bad guy doing his best "evil man laughing meniacally" in the flashback to the Bahamut attack?

zeitgeist

How about the main masked bad guy doing his best "evil man laughing meniacally" in the flashback to the Bahamut attack?

So far I don't mind the story. It is pretty much what I expected. I can't help but feel that the voice acting in the actual release will be terrible though.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
But i noticed that in the ARR Achievements there are 19 aetherithe to find in Coerthas so i don't think it's only 2 zones. Mordhona instead have only 4 aetherithe (so i think it's 1 or 2 zones).

The only thing i notice is i lost my title "The Wandering Shadow" and i love it!

I only saw the legacy achievements on the beta, do you have a url to check?

Munba

The only thing i notice is i lost my title "The Wandering Shadow" and i love it!

I only saw the legacy achievements on the beta, do you have a url to check?

I saw it in game but probably those were achievements from 1.0 like Xux said.

ZiZ

I like the story in general. yeah some scenes were kinda cheesy, but this is a Japanese game, and they love their clichés. I can easily say that I'm enjoying it more than most Final Fantasy stories so far (but FF stories tend to crash and burn, especially in the last quarter of the game).

my biggest gripe with MMO stories is that most of the time they treat it as a single player game and don't acknowledge the existence of other players. So I'm the chosen one, because, yeah, I beat Ifrit, but I had 7 other dudes with me, and I'm like 200th guy that beat him... today. it just doesn't feel right.

ZiZ

You are one of the chosen you mean ;)

it's more than just being one of the chosen, "I" was chosen to deliver a message to the other GC leaders, when I defeated ifrit they didn't acknowledge that I had help, Thancred even said they were going to kill my companions. there is a bunch of other stuff too.

and speaking of story, did you guys see Cid in Thanalan?

ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg

Just looking at the original Black Shroud map gives me an instant headache, more so then when I traversed it.

BLCKATK

With this new beta client was there any new music that was mined? Mind if I get a link to it? I'm dying to hear some of the tracks.

I like the story in general. yeah some scenes were kinda cheesy, but this is a Japanese game, and they love their clichés. I can easily say that I'm enjoying it more than most Final Fantasy stories so far (but FF stories tend to crash and burn, especially in the last quarter of the game).

my biggest gripe with MMO stories is that most of the time they treat it as a single player game and don't acknowledge the existence of other players. So I'm the chosen one, because, yeah, I beat Ifrit, but I had 7 other dudes with me, and I'm like 200th guy that beat him... today. it just doesn't feel right.

I think one of the coolest thing in the rivenroad battle was the fact that all your party members were in the cutscenes boarding the airship and during the fight. I thought that was a nice touch.

ebil

I think one of the coolest thing in the rivenroad battle was the fact that all your party members were in the cutscenes boarding the airship and during the fight. I thought that was a nice touch.
Yet everyone made you skip the cutscenes so I had to watch this one in my inn room... I'm glad they fixed it.

Yet everyone made you skip the cutscenes so I had to watch this one in my inn room... I'm glad they fixed it.

Unless it was a speed run, every time someone was commanding that everyone skip the cut scenes, I'd just say: "Every time I try to skip the cut scene I disconnect."

neoemonk

Poked around the client and the forums a little but I can't find the test schedule. Can anyone point me to it? I think I'm just being blind.

Xux

Poked around the client and the forums a little but I can't find the test schedule. Can anyone point me to it? I think I'm just being blind.
They haven't announced the next test period times yet. They always post it in plain text underneath the big yellow "Please Read Before the Beta Test" on the front page of the forum after they've announced it.

Jinko

Wonder if someone could clear this up for me.

Originally it was said that being a Legacy player would give us a discount from the monthly fee, however all I see is the entry fee and then extra character slots for buying 90 days and 180 days.

So where does the Legacy discount fit into this, or has this not been announced yet.

There doesn't seem much incentive to buy the 90 and 180 day subscription unless you plan to use alts. (its really quite bizarre)

Originally it was said that being a Legacy player would give us a discount from the monthly fee, however all I see is the entry fee and then extra character slots for buying 90 days and 180 days.

So where does the Legacy discount fit into this, or has this not been announced yet.

There doesn't seem much incentive to buy the 90 and 180 day subscription unless you plan to use alts. (its really quite bizarre)

I haven't checked my account page but Legacy members were supposed to be locked in at $9.99 a month with the maximum character allotment.

Maybe they haven't updated yet?

ZiZ

This is what they said when they announced it, I doubt they changed anything
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html

Xux

I just assumed that the Legacy discount is still going to happen and that they're not advertising it on the pre-order since the you can't become a Legacy member anymore. 90 and 180 days are cheaper; 180 days one is almost a free month over the standard.

creid

I assume they're not listing the Legacy pricing info along with the rest of the info because it would just confuse new players. Legacy discount pricing is here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

edit: beaten like Darnus

Xux

So seamless you hit an invisible zoneline and are suddenly dead because you ran into high level monsters you couldn't see until you were right on top of them and already 1-shotted!
Yeah, but didn't you prefer the long, featureless valleys in between over the loading screens in ARR?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is there any chance of me getting back in if I lost my authenticator? I've had beta access, but I either a) lost the thing while packing for our move or b) accidentally threw it out while packing for our move.

Jinko

Is there any chance of me getting back in if I lost my authenticator? I've had beta access, but I either a) lost the thing while packing for our move or b) accidentally threw it out while packing for our move.

You will have to ring SE support, they will require proof of identity etc and then can reset it for you.

Contact SE support, they should be able to eliminate the need of using the one-time password.

What was it like to walk around that in the original? It looks almost like a street grid. What was making up all the blocked space; trees?

Boring. It was described as a labyrinth in the original descriptions and it lived up to that. The problem with the environment in 1.0 is that it was large, bland, repetitive and somehow 'lifeless". What I appreciate about ARR is that not only is it more unique but it feels more alive now. Houses, camps, hidden alcoves, ports, all of that is done much better and also feels much more logical. Windmills, farms, camps built around fallen trees in Gridania, a shipyard in Limsa, all of it, just makes sense.

Azzurri

Boring. It was described as a labyrinth in the original descriptions and it lived up to that. The problem with the environment in 1.0 is that it was large, bland, repetitive and somehow 'lifeless". What I appreciate about ARR is that not only is it more unique but it feels more alive now. Houses, camps, hidden alcoves, ports, all of that is done much better and also feels much more logical. Windmills, farms, camps built around fallen trees in Gridania, a shipyard in Limsa, all of it, just makes sense.

Isn't this possible with a seamless world, instead of loading screens from zone to zone.

Other MMO's do this, I don't see why FFXIV couldn't have.

Man the music in this game is great, I never played 1.0 and was wondering if I buy the ost is it still the same music thats used in 2.0?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Those support dudes don't jack around...I provided my info, and before I could say thanks, they responded with a "Thanks for contacting SQUARE ENIX SUPPORT and have a great day!" *disconnect*

Pretty rad.

Got it all sorted out.

Mature

Those support dudes don't jack around...I provided my info, and before I could say thanks, they responded with a "Thanks for contacting SQUARE ENIX SUPPORT and have a great day!" *disconnect*

Pretty rad.

Got it all sorted out.
Nice to see a good experience with SE Support for once.

Ravidrath

Man the music in this game is great, I never played 1.0 and was wondering if I buy the ost is it still the same music thats used in 2.0?

There will be some overlap, but for the most part the 2.0 OST is completely new.

So far, most of the 1.0 music I've heard in 2.0 is used in cutscenes. There are a few pieces from 1.0 by Soken that will probably be reused, like in Primal battles, etc.

Allard

Isn't this possible with a seamless world, instead of loading screens from zone to zone.

Other MMO's do this, I don't see why FFXIV couldn't have.

The reason being is that in order to obtain the graphical fidelity they were aiming for (Great Lighting and massive draw distance) on a basic level while meeting their minimum requirements (PS3...) it was either greatly reduce asset amount to load in such a streaming environment or created a more 'boxed' and controlled one.

Most MMO's these days spend lavish amount of man hours catering a visual style to a certain 'spec' range or risk making the game available only for certain higher spec PC's. In WoW for instance they can do seamless streaming because player models and a lot of the games geometry is fairly low but they make up for it with absurdly well realized art direction and texture work and then leave other visual improvements like lighting and shadows, anti-aliasing, draw distance etc. up to player. Games with higher graphical fidelity graphics at their core for MMO's (like Guild Wars 2) are zoned as well.

In the end the real problem is the minimum spec range they are working with. Maybe if they required 2 GB RAM and a modern GPU like something in the past 3 years as their minimum spec they could do zone streaming of this type of fidelity, but they certainly are not going to get it on the PS3 with its maximum of 512 RAM (split RAM I might add), RAM amount they were having troubles with in the INITIAL 1.0 offering. Their server structure also left much to be desired in the streaming environment, now it becomes easier both on developers and the players to define a games parameters with physical zonelines. Monsters were invisible in 1.0 when you went past the invisible soft zonelines and killed you before you realized you got aggro. Players who were in cities could not shout through the entire city because to alleviate congestion they created 2 server zones but it 'seemed' seamless otherwise.

There will be some overlap, but for the most part the 2.0 OST is completely new.

So far, most of the 1.0 music I've heard in 2.0 is used in cutscenes. There are a few pieces from 1.0 by Soken that will probably be reused, like in Primal battles, etc.

Thanks, I might as well get 1.0 ost and wait for 2.0 to be released then.

Caerith

I barely noticed it over the minor plot hole with the Monoa Mask and the sheer terribleness of the Garlean scene. When they let us resume posting on the beta forums, why not post it in the plot problems thread as "terrible characterization"?

So far I don't mind the story. It is pretty much what I expected. I can't help but feel that the voice acting in the actual release will be terrible though.
Voice acting and MMOs, a bad combination.

I really enjoyed the story in FFXI, at least for the three cities and the first three expansions, because you were almost never treated as the chosen one-- the exception being
Chains of Promathia, where what you're "chosen" as is
a sacrifice
. You saved the world three times a night while everyone was still in their beds, unaware of the danger they'd been in. I also don't recall any cutscenes of the villains twirling their moustachios and tying maidens to the railroad tracks.

One of the few things I thought The Old Republic did right was having multiplayer cutscenes... but then again, it was also not exactly fun to have other players get random control over your narrative. Capture a spy as an Imperial Agent? Perfect, we can interrogate him for information on his network and-- dammit, Sith, why do you insist on killing everybody?

Legacy members will receive an exclusive in-game Chocobo mount at the launch of version 2.0.

I had completely forgotten about that. I hope this mount and the Coeurl mount don't have any level restrictions. It would be awesome to be able to use them from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom