• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

And guess what? Legacy chocobos also bear the same Mark of The Twelve as our characters (look at the region around its beak)! I think that's a really nice touch.

a2lMP1K.jpg

gMAA5Ow.jpg

et9Ax1C.jpg

Teknoman

Would be nice if it worked like collectors edition stuff, and every character we made had access to it (that is how CE stuff works right?).

Would be nice if it worked like collectors edition stuff, and every character we made had access to it (that is how CE stuff works right?).

The fact that it says Legacy Members instead of Legacy Characters leads me to believe it will be account wide, not just our 1.x characters.

At least I hope so, I've already coped with the idea of leaving my Goobbue behind, this would at least ease my transition a tiny, itsy bit.

Teknoman

The fact that it says Legacy Members instead of Legacy Characters leads me to believe it will be account wide, not just our 1.x characters.

At least I hope so, I've already coped with the idea of leaving my Goobbue behind, this would at least ease my transition a tiny, itsy bit.

That and the Warrior of Light helm for me anyway.

theta11

I had completely forgotten about that. I hope this mount and the Coeurl mount don't have any level restrictions. It would be awesome to be able to use them from the beginning.

I'm pretty sure the Coeurl mount has either a level 20 restriction or you need to have a Chocobo already. Can't remember which but it does have one of those.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Those support dudes don't jack around...I provided my info, and before I could say thanks, they responded with a "Thanks for contacting SQUARE ENIX SUPPORT and have a great day!" *disconnect*

Pretty rad.

Got it all sorted out.

Nice. This is probably the first time I've heard someone say something positive about SE support. They're usually trash (like actually really really bad, absolute zero skills when it comes to customer service) so I hope this is an indication of the service getting a lot better.

scosher

Hrmm...it seems like they locked the beta forums from any new posts.

I made a long Google doc on how I'd like to see the battle system changed, but guess I'll have to wait till next weekend to post it on their feedback forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pnz6KuXIy5uCg7hDHFIibGLtzy7brRY8gXk_KZv3EjM/pub

A lot of it may be too late to change since we're already in Phase 3, but it's still something I hope they work on even post-release, especially the way TP is managed. I'll still be getting the game as I love everything else about it, but the combat is a real snoozefest compared to its competition.

Can someone explain to me how minions work and how one gets them?

It seems like I saw people running around with little pets that were actually fighting with them during the last beta weekend, but I might be mistaken.

Xux

Can someone explain to me how minions work and how one gets them?

It seems like I saw people running around with little pets that were actually fighting with them during the last beta weekend, but I might be mistaken.
In the Beta, you buy them from NPCs in the cities. They're just for show and don't do anything but follow you around.

You can have your chocobo fight along side you by talking to the Wandering Minstrel after you get access to a mount chocobo through the main story.

In the Beta, you buy them from NPCs in the cities. They're just for show and don't do anything but follow you around.

You can have your chocobo fight along side you by talking to the Wandering Minstrel after you get access to a mount chocobo through the main story.

Thanks!

Kyon

Banned
WAIT A MINUTE. I havent played since friday cause i had a gaf meetup all weekend. The beta is still GOING?

OMFGGGGGG someone plz answer

Dat title is a little misleading for me ;__;

PopInnovation

Neo Member
WAIT A MINUTE. I havent played since friday cause i had a gaf meetup all weekend. The beta is still GOING?

It's down until the weekend... the "ongoing" part is referring to phase 3, not server up-time.

Jijidasu

Christ, calm down, lol. Read the forums, it's usually in bold and stands out!

Jinko

I felt this was silly, surely it would be better to have the chocobo companion from low level when it would be more helpful.

The dev team have gone out of their way to put everything behind a wall in ARR which I am finding a little annoying especially as a 1.0 player.

I made a long Google doc on how I'd like to see the battle system changed, but guess I'll have to wait till next weekend to post it on their feedback forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pnz6KuXIy5uCg7hDHFIibGLtzy7brRY8gXk_KZv3EjM/pub

A lot of it may be too late to change since we're already in Phase 3, but it's still something I hope they work on even post-release, especially the way TP is managed. I'll still be getting the game as I love everything else about it, but the combat is a real snoozefest compared to its competition.

Wow that is in depth, the traits stuff looks good, will have to have a proper read later.

Don't agree with the changes to TP, although I do think they need to rebalance the use of TP, because TP is a static value and you only use certain skills at a certain level point, they need to do some in depth testing on what the most popular rotations are and go from there.

Having something like a combo buff which restores TP at later levels could also counter the problem of running out of TP.

I'm really enjoying this beta when I can play it! Very much would like to get the full version, but I'm concerned about the sub fee. If it's too high I'll have to pass :(

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Next test.
2013年06月28日(金)18:00 ~ 06月30日(日)18:00

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Next test.
2013年06月28日(金)18:00 ~ 06月30日(日)18:00
Whatever that means :p

Dates and Times
June 28, 2013 (Friday), 2:00 a.m. to June 30 (Sunday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
June 28, 2013 (Friday), 9:00 a.m. to June 30 (Sunday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)

Kyzer

Banned
I have a PC with an AMD A10-5700 APU, 12GB DDR3 1666 RAM, and I'm about to purchase an overclocked 7850. (I know its weird) How well could I run this game?

ZiZ

I felt this was silly, surely it would be better to have the chocobo companion from low level when it would be more helpful.

The dev team have gone out of their way to put everything behind a wall in ARR which I am finding a little annoying especially as a 1.0 player.

I can understand why they won't give you your chocobo until level 25ish when you join a grand company. The thing that'll be really annoying, is that retainers probably won't be unlocked till level 20ish, when Minfilia gives you access.

I think they're doing it to stop gil sellers.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I have a PC with an AMD A10-5700 APU, 12GB DDR3 1666 RAM, and I'm about to purchase an overclocked 7850. (I know its weird) How well could I run this game?

If you're not gonna be running it on multiple monitors and going crazy because you don't have the best FPS than I'd say it would run well enough.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have a question...

As a Legacy member, are we entitled to a copy of ARR at release, or do we need to purchase it still? Also, do Legacy members get discounts on their subscription costs?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
So I have a question...

As a Legacy member, are we entitled to a copy of ARR at release, or do we need to purchase it still? Also, do Legacy members get discounts on their subscription costs?

Yes, we download for free, and yes we have discounts.

Jinko

I can understand why they won't give you your chocobo until level 25ish when you join a grand company. The thing that'll be really annoying, is that retainers probably won't be unlocked till level 20ish, when Minfilia gives you access.

I think they're doing it to stop gil sellers.

Yea I suppose it makes sense for new players but not so much old 1.0 players who already have their chocobo and retainers.

Akuosa

Yea I suppose it makes sense for new players but not so much old 1.0 players who already have their chocobo and retainers.
But you do have your chocobo and retainers if you have a 1.0 character. You just have to use your whistle to call for your chocobo as always, and you can go to summon your retainers right away too... which make it pretty silly when Minfilia gives you access to them again later. I guess you have to think she gives you access to change them to hire new ones or something like that, as you couldn't do that before, just summon your old ones, you didn't have access to the retainers "system" itself.

Jinko

But you do have your chocobo and retainers if you have a 1.0 character. You just have to use your whistle to call for your chocobo as always, and you can go to summon your retainers right away too... which make it pretty silly when Minfilia gives you access to them again later. I guess you have to think she gives you access to change them to hire new ones or something like that, as you couldn't do that before, just summon your old ones, you didn't have access to the retainers "system" itself.

That's what I mean, to get your chocobo companion you need to unlock it from the story quest, even if you already have the chocobo (unless I missed something)

Retainers aren't too bad, because you can access your retainers not long after you start playing.

Akuosa

That's what I mean, to get your chocobo companion you need to unlock it from the story quest, even if you already have the chocobo (unless I missed something).
Ah, well, but you couldn't fight along it before either, so it doesn't seem weird to me for that to be another thing you have to learn, if you know what I mean?
Dunno, if I had to unlock the chocobo again that would bother me, but unlocking something I wasn't able to do before, even if it uses the same "tools", that's fine.

omlet

From what I could tell poking around this weekend (on my legacy character, mind you), even when you "unlock" chocobo at level 20ish after joining a GC, you still have to earn the seals to buy the chocobo, just like in 1.x. The personal chocobo voucher item is still sold by the GC (along with bardings), so I don't think it's going to be BAM, CHOCOBO! at level 20ish for new players.

I could be wrong, though, because just for tests and giggles I bought one of the vouchers (even though I already had a chocobo) from the GC but couldn't figure out who to turn it in to for a chocobo, so I'm not sure if that item is needed. I talked to the stablemaster but he didn't give any option for turning it in (maybe because I already had one?).

Jinko

Wish they'd scrap the limit break system and just give us Skill chains back.

Skill chains probably wouldn't work with the current battle speed, they could adapt the limit break system to work similar to a skill chain system though, but only if each limit break was player based and not party based.

For example player 1 uses limit break and the whole party gets a 5 second buff which will link the next limit break into a limit chain, the next player uses their limit break and that links into the next limit break but with a damage bonus, each consecutive limit break could add additional damage or healing potency.

I doubt the limit break system is completely finished and I expect they will revise it at a later date or expansion so that it is class/job specific, it seems like something they have rushed into the game before launch.

Skill chains probably wouldn't work with the current battle speed, they could adapt the limit break system to work similar to a skill chain system though, but only if each limit break was player based and not party based.

For example player 1 uses limit break and the whole party gets a 5 second buff which will link the next limit break into a limit chain, the next player uses their limit break and that links into the next limit break but with a damage bonus, each consecutive limit break could add additional damage or healing potency.

I doubt the limit break system is completely finished and I expect they will revise it at a later date or expansion so that it is class/job specific, it seems like something they have rushed into the game before launch.

This right here. Especially when you consider that fights are going to require a lot more moment and target changes independent of the other party members. The old skill chain system is as dead in any modern mmo as it is in FF11 itself. Was fun when it was the only variance you had in a 5 hour party killing the same mob in the same place over and over though.

What you are suggesting there is more like the mag burst system from PSO I think, and that's cool. Everyone having their own limit bar and if you use them one after each other then they do more depending on how many came before.

The current system seems bland, but I only think that is because of the grand ideas that people had about what they thought it was going to be/what they wanted it to be. It doesn't really feel that bad in actual gameplay though.

Riposte

It doesn't need to be skillchains, but I'd like to game to have more cooperative mechanics, where you play off each other. They could even do it in a roundabout way, where additional effects on actions between different jobs/classes react to each other in some way (so perhaps using armoury classes can do it themselves, but jobs will have to work together).

While I should applaud your effort, I think your ideas shows very well why most of the complaints in the beta forums are too norrowminded. The changes in the skills basically goes againts how FF XIV ARR is built. It would work even on a more focused action MMO, like GW2, but ARR is not that way. Is like a breed of a turn based RPG with a some focus on movement on battle, something that's shown in how most battles and encounters are designed.

Leap Slash from marauder would become a one key win button to evade any AOE attack from the enemy as long as you have TP. Big red circle? no problem, cone front attacks? no problem. DRG has a jump skill that actually works that way, but is something very specific to the job and only that job.

And I entirely disagree in the TP department. Yes, not wasting your TP is still TP management, but having to build TP when Mage classes can nuke from second one is still stupid. Is like asking that mages should build up MP, why no one asks that?. Yeah, maybe it needs some changes in the TP regeneration and so, but going back to built TP? No thanks.

The merit system is interesting and something that the team may look down the line, but I feel is something rather unnecesary in ARR. On a game when you're locked to one rol, unless you make a new character, being able to customize your character may be important, In ARR when you can change roles with one button press I don't feel is necesary.

Also, I think that jobs will become that characterization, because is now clear that jobs acts as specs of the different classes. Once we had more 2nd jobs for classes this will become more clear.

And I agree that the current Limit Break system needs some work, although I appreciate the team effort on balancing job/classes although in a kinda cheap way.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I have one big problem with action-y MMO combat:
Dodge is a big "Do a reflex check to see if your positioning error actually impacts you".
In big-scale PvE (the scale where most of the raid isn't tanking the boss), i fail to see the improvement.
Solo PvE, sure; PVP, sure; but organized pve, tab-target is still actually better.

Skyler

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't need to be skillchains, but I'd like to game to have more cooperative mechanics, where you play off each other. They could even do it in a roundabout way, where additional effects on actions between different jobs/classes react to each other in some way (so perhaps using armoury classes can do it themselves, but jobs will have to work together).
Aye, it could do with some party combination abilities. Ver. 1 had a Paladin block ability which, when active, allowed any Cure spell cast on the Paladin turn in to an AoE Regen for party members in range. I didn't see that ability in 2.0, in-game or in the .DATs.

Riposte

Aye, it could do with some party combination abilities. Ver. 1 had a Paladin block ability which, when active, allowed any Cure spell cast on the Paladin turn in to an AoE Regen for party members in range. I didn't see that ability in 2.0, in-game or in the .DATs.

That's the kind of stuff is what I'd like to see, although Paladin can cast cure on himself so it is not a perfect example. On the other hand I'd be totally okay if the situation was like Gladiator having the ability (and passing it on to Paladin) and casting cure on himself (somehow exclusively from Paladin), because in my vision of this mechanic classes being able to do these co-op combos alone makes them stand out from jobs and also solidifies their solo utility. (This reasoning applies best to combos that wouldn't be mainly a party benefit.)

Another example is a melee doing a certain action or combo-finisher that "ignites" a present thunder or aero DoT on the monster and it erupts into a direct damage spell. This method would be harder to implement because it requires rethinking actions for balance's sake... basically too fantastical, even if this is all fantasy BS anyway. Perhaps it would be best if they added marks/debuffs on top of whatever certain skills do now and these interact to create unique combo effects. If that's the case one should question if every skill should operate under these rules or only under certain conditions.

Well, that would be one way to recreate something like skillchains fit for a faster system. However, I feel like to go beyond that standard you need to design monsters around these mechanics. Stuff like using only these combinations for triggering a weakness state (e.g. FFXIII's stagger or flipping over an adamantoise) or sealing highly dangerous moves or dispelling rapidly changing boosting states. Dynamic tactics, a lot of thinking on your toes with the jobs you have on hand.

I'm really apathetic to Limit Break as it exists now and if they can turn it into a set of cooperative mechanics as described (apparently from PSO2?), I'm all for it. Ideally, it would be more frequent. You know personally limit breaks building up slowly and being able to link to each other is pretty much like... adding FFXI's weapon skill system on top of this one. Would be amusing.

Enough fan-fiction from me though.

Skyler

Unconfirmed Member
That's the kind of stuff is what I'd like to see, although Paladin can cast cure on himself so it is not a perfect example.
Oh, the Cure spell had to be cast from someone else for it to work, which is what made it a party ability. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom