• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
are the premium items you get from the collector's edition just one time use on your first character, or usable on every character on your account?

Jinko

are the premium items you get from the collector's edition just one time use on your first character, or usable on every character on your account?

On all characters.

If this were a game like WoW then I would agree (DAMN YOU WARLOCK GEAR) but since you can switch classes getting random gear is fine since you can greed it for your other classes.

Guess you forgot about Ifrit and Moogle dropping weapons nobody wanted ?

omlet

Guess you forgot about Ifrit and Moogle dropping weapons nobody wanted ?

No, I didn't forget, but I thought we were talking about ARR, specifically leveling dungeons in ARR since, like, that's all that's in beta right now.

Since I did bring up warlock gear in WoW, implying endgame, even then, just in general, you'd have to be careful with implementing something like this. In WoW, a piece of warlock gear that no one in the raid could use meant it was wasted (sharded, etc.) which is annoying when it happens a lot. In ARR, there is no such thing as a piece of gear that no one will be able to use (unless your entire raid member has every piece of gear from the instance already I guess). Tailoring the dungeon drops to the party makeup just kills the revisit value of content, especially once you hit cap and aren't leveling anymore.

At low level it doesn't even really matter in ARR if you don't get dungeon drops since you can tank these dungeons half naked if your weapon isn't bad.

Jinko

No, I didn't forget, but I thought we were talking about ARR, specifically leveling dungeons in ARR since, like, that's all that's in beta right now.

We are talking about ARR, Primals do exist in ARR and work like dungeon boss fights right ?

I think the problem exists across all instanced content really, of course I am not asking for a win button here, but gear which is useful to the group in general, instead of everyone passing and it disappearing into the void.

FLEABttn

Banned
I haven't really been keeping up. What's the word on the PS3 version?

I put all my time in beta in the PS3 client and I'd say solid considering the hardware. It's uglier, runs worse than a mid end PC, jaggier, more noticeable foliage pop-in, etc. But for 7 year old hardware, still impressive to a certain degree. Uncertain about how high end raiding would work on it, but if it's not balls to the wall, it will probably make due.

mingus

That last image is definitely a part of Brayflox's Longstop. Very similar architecture to what was found there.

It undoubtedly is, there's the little bridge leading to the tower with the spiral walkway that has nothing at the top, and to the right is the elevated area where you have to save a goblin bro so he can give you loot.

StMeph

I was able to find a guideline for the primary stats and their secondary effects, but it's outdated information for 1.0.

(Old data: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=92e2a2ee13f174b5a6f5f658135e1bf4ab725f29 )

Are the secondary effects still the same in ARR? Is there a definitive list from either parsed data or dev confirmation anywhere about the secondary effects? For reference, I don't mean Strength -> physical damage, but stuff like Strength -> Block value or Dexterity -> Accuracy.

Jinko

I was able to find a guideline for the primary stats and their secondary effects, but it's outdated information for 1.0.

(Old data: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=92e2a2ee13f174b5a6f5f658135e1bf4ab725f29 )

Are the secondary effects still the same in ARR? Is there a definitive list from either parsed data or dev confirmation anywhere about the secondary effects? For reference, I don't mean Strength -> physical damage, but stuff like Strength -> Block value or Dexterity -> Accuracy.

I think there are secondary effects for some stats, they have changed and many have been consolidated into one stat, such as determination.

In phase 4 we should have mouse over info on stats and what they do, so I guess we will have to wait until then to truly know.

ebil

No, throw these away, they don't apply the same way in ARR. Better look here for now. Keep in mind all algorithms can and will probably be adjusted come phase 4 and launch. Consolidated results on all stats will probably come later, as people are first trying to determine the damage formulas.

As for raw stats, here's what's written in the instruction manual:

-Strength: Increases melee attack power and the percentage of damage mitigated by block and parry.
-Dexterity: Increases ranged attack power and the chance of blocking or parrying an attack.
-Vitality: Increases maximum HP.
-Intelligence: Increases attack magic potency.
-Mind: Increases healing magic potency.
-Piety: Increases maximum MP.
-Determination: Increases the amount of damage dealt by all attacks and the amount of HP recovered by spells.

Azzurri

So, does that mean other classes will get multiple job choices? Like, is the eventual Musketeer going to be a job for Archer, or a class that gets its own job (like, Musketeer->Time Mage or something)?

I think they'll added other classes so that they can add other jobs. But I do think they'll add another job for each of the classes they have now.

Xux

So, does that mean other classes will get multiple job choices? Like, is the eventual Musketeer going to be a job for Archer, or a class that gets its own job (like, Musketeer->Time Mage or something)?
Yeah, they're gonna add second jobs for the rest before they do more classes. Musketeer'll be a class.

Ravidrath

Yeah, they're gonna add second jobs for the rest before they do more classes. Musketeer'll be a class.

No, the opposite.

Yoshi-P said in my interview that they would do more classes before more Jobs for existing classes. And that his priority was on a "scout" class.

Xux

No, the opposite.

Yoshi-P said in my interview that they would do more classes before more Jobs for existing classes. And that his priority was on a "scout" class.
Oh okay.

...which interview? I didn't really see anything about timing from the E3 one.

Jijidasu

I imagine Musketeer and the Scout class will turn up in patches not far from launch, they said they wanted to introduce more classes before the expansion anyway.

Riposte

Huh. So, if I want to play a ranged damage class, I'll need to wait for Musketeer.

You can play a ranged damage class now. You can't play a ranged damage job (although Bard is more of a hybrid than anything else, especially since they seemed to have messed up songs).

Caerith

You can play a ranged damage class now. You can't play a ranged damage job (although Bard is more of a hybrid than anything else, especially since they seemed to have messed up songs).
Well yeah that's what I mean, I'll need to wait for Musketeer and hope they don't get some healing job.

Riposte

But daggers :(

I'm not really picky what they do, but I have two hopes for the Armoury System:

1) Don't flood it with classes to fill every niche that has ever appeared in a FF just because it has appeared in a FF in exactly that fashion.

2) Don't put second- or third-tier melee in the game, which FFXI loved doing to an absurd degree. I don't want daggers or anything nearly that flimsy to be the base of a class. Give Thief a gun, crossbow, or throwing weapons I say. That applies especially to something like a Red Mage.

Xux

Jorbs. I'm bored; lemme pull some second job ideas out of nowhere:

Gladiator: ...I can't think of one, lol.
Pugilist: Dancer (support, can spread buffs like Twin Snakes, Greased Lightning, Fists of Earth and a DoM friendly Fists of Water to party)
Marauder: Dark Knight (healer/tank, can sacrifice HP to heal party or do damage)
Lancer: Templar (tank, has highest DEX for Parry rate and can combo from Piercing Talon)
Archer: Ranger (DoT and debuffs)
Conjurer: Elementalist (DD/healer, AoE damage (Flood, Tornado, Quake etc) and healing)
Thaumaturge: Occultist (DD/healer, can trade Astral Fire and Umbral Ice for other buffs like turn spells into AoE and focus AoE into single target)

New classes, maybe?

Scout: Uses throwing knives, boomerangs, shuriken (support, has stuff similar to FFXI DRK Absorbs and FFXI Dancer Sambas as well as hate control)
-Thief (more hate control)
-Ninja (uses shadows to reduce damage taken and fuel attacks and debuffs)
Musketeer: Guns (has WSs that ignore defense or are based on enemy magic defense, elemental "bullets" with different debuff effects)
-Corsair (can increase party skill/spell speed, random buffs based on party make up, maybe even lower ability recasts)
Fencer: "exotic" blades like European fencing swords and scimitars (range-less mage, can parry/take damage to restore MP, counterattacks)
-Red Mage (can boost/chain spells including cross class ones)
-Blue Mage (five strong AoE buffs and heals that cost a bit of MP)

Xux

Aw, I like scimitars. Much more than epees and fleurets or whatever. How 'bout just "sabres" then?

For Gladiators, what about Berserkers? Basically be the opposite of Paladins.

Though I guess it could get too close into the Warrior territory.

Caerith

Aw, I like scimitars. Much more than epees and fleurets or whatever. How 'bout just "sabres" then?
Scimitars are cavalry swords, not fencing swords. Depends which saber you're referring to: the straight fencing saber, or the curved cavalry saber?

Either way, if you want a class that uses curved swords, it won't (shouldn't) be fencer.

(I know someone at some point is going to make the argument "but all swordplay is fencing," but I think we're on the same page here that by "fencer" we mean the specific European tradition and not including kendo (Japanese fencing) and whatever else.)

Xux

Scimitars are cavalry swords, not fencing swords. Depends which saber you're referring to: the straight fencing saber, or the curved cavalry saber?

Either way, if you want a class that uses curved swords, it won't (shouldn't) be fencer.

(I know someone at some point is going to make the argument "but all swordplay is fencing," but I think we're on the same page here that by "fencer" we mean the specific European tradition and not including kendo (Japanese fencing) and whatever else.)
I don't really care about all that. Whatever gets the message across that they do fancy stuff with swords.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Nova Crystalis: From everything it looks like, Scholar branches off from Arcanist, like Summoner. When can we expect to see other Jobs branching off from other classes?
Yoshida: We haven’t announced anything official, but we hope to have other jobs branching off of classes that already have jobs before an expansion. Right we now we have too many attackers, so we’re trying to figure out what to do next. Personally, I want to have scout classes – something tricky, to do traps and those types of maneuvers.
Doesn't really say which'll come first.

Ravidrath

Doesn't really say which'll come first.

OK, well, the meaning I took from it was that Scout class was first.

He said that more Jobs would be coming sometime before the first expansion, which he expects would be released about 18 months after launch.

Jinko

Jorbs. I'm bored; lemme pull some second job ideas out of nowhere:

Gladiator: ...I can't think of one, lol.
Pugilist: Dancer (support, can spread buffs like Twin Snakes, Greased Lightning, Fists of Earth and a DoM friendly Fists of Water to party)
Marauder: Dark Knight (healer/tank, can sacrifice HP to heal party or do damage)
Lancer: Templar (tank, has highest DEX for Parry rate and can combo from Piercing Talon)
Archer: Ranger (DoT and debuffs)
Conjurer: Elementalist (DD/healer, AoE damage (Flood, Tornado, Quake etc) and healing)
Thaumaturge: Occultist (DD/healer, can trade Astral Fire and Umbral Ice for other buffs like turn spells into AoE and focus AoE into single target)

I could see Gladiator getting Dark Knight and Marauder getting Berserker, Thaumaturge would be good with a healing job, priest maybe (which could tie in with their lore), I would like to see secondary job be the opposed role of their first job.

I guess Samuria could come from Gladiator as its a sword class lol, Ninja and Thief will probably stem from Scout.

I would like Musketeer to be the job and Fusilier to be the class, later they could add Corsair.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Are races that important when choosing a starting class? I'd like to make a lancer "elf" (or how they're called) but I've googled and doesn't seem the best combination.

Riposte

Are races that important when choosing a starting class? I'd like to make a lancer "elf" (or how they're called) but I've googled and doesn't seem the best combination.

Not very important. Only around 2-3 points into stats. Meaning, it is dwarfed in important by looks and animations (macros, etc) since this is a character you'll likely be sticking with for far more than just "lancer". You may use it for all classes and jobs.

Xux

I could see Gladiator getting Dark Knight and Marauder getting Berserker, Thaumaturge would be good with a healing job, priest maybe (which could tie in with their lore), I would like to see secondary job be the opposed role of their first job.
That seems like it'd be hard to do with the limited number of Job abilities and the entirety of the class' role still attached.
I would like Musketeer to be the job and Fusilier to be the class, later they could add Corsair.
...why? That's really random. Musketeer's pretty much a blank slate and exists alongside the other classes in the game world.

I've seen a lot of speculation so far as how to handle new jobs and new class/job branches.

From what I can tell it mostly goes like this(Jobs listed more than once are different viewpoints):

GLA
  • PLD
  • DRK (blood tank - sword and shield)
  • BLD (Blademaster - dual wield tank, traits modify shield abilities for parry ones, same effects)

MRD
  • WAR
  • BST (Beastmaster - animal pets)
  • DRK (2H dps, can also use scythe)

LNC
  • DRG
  • DRK (scythe as a subset of spear)
  • CHK (Chocobo knight IE mounted combat)
  • SAM (Samurai - naginata polearm, also uses great katana)

PGL
  • MNK
  • PUP (Puppetmaster - automaton pet)
  • DNC (Dancer - uses only claws/katars, role: frontline dps and support)
  • NIN (hand to hand version of Ninja, role: frontline dps, backup tank 2nd via temp enmity transfer, only claws/katars)

ARC
  • BRD
  • RNG (Ranger - pure dps with utility, IE kiting skills),
  • BST (bow version of Beastmaster)

THM
  • BLM
  • NEC (Necromancer - undead pets)
  • TIM (Time mage, buffs various speed (skill, spell, movement), similar enfeebles, more)

CNJ
  • WHM
  • GEO (Geomancer - nukes opposite BLM via stone, water, wind attacks)

ACN
  • SCH
  • SMN
  • GEO (alt Geomancer, uses golems of various crystals/elements as pets)

Proposed New Class+Jobs

MSK (Musketeer, old-style gun ranged dps, lore already in Limsa)
  • COR (Corsair - Pirate spinoff, uses dice, cards, trickery, bombs, Rival: Musketeer)
  • GUN (Gun Mage - mixes magic and gunplay in the form of elemental ranged dps)

ROG (Rogue, possibly a new Disciple of Deception, takes dagger, GLA get shortsword)
  • THF (Thief - frontline dps, some stealing and stealth ability, enmity manipulation)
  • DNC (Dancer - frontline dps and support, like a melee version of Bard)

FNC (Fencer, frontline dps, dual wield trait like ninja)
  • RDM (Red Mage - Spellsword, combos weapon skills into magic (black/white), equips spells via Limited Action Set)
  • BLU (Blue Mage - Spellsword, combos weapon skills into magic (monster powers), equips spells via Limited Action Set)

RON (Ronin, or Far East Warrior, mixed dps/tank like MRD, can dps with katana or tank with great katana)
  • NIN (Ninja - dual wield katana, dps only, ninja magic, shuriken ranged weaponskills, enmity manipulation, high evasion vs ranged attack)
  • SAM (Samurai - great katana(2H) tank, uses parry and counters, naginata as optional weapon, high defense vs ranged attack)

Unsure about others, like Chemist (potion thrower), or a base class for 2H sword for DRK.

Riposte

Adding a bunch of classes is not a good idea (especially not three more blade users). 1 or 2 should be enough for a long time. We also don't really need more than 2 jobs per class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom