• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

While I think that the Blizzard line of spells probably needs to be adjusted, I don't see how that reflects on the combat system as a whole.

Me either. I liked 1.23 combat system and would have been happy with that system as a base in ARR (given better interface, infrastructure, etc.) but how in the world does THM math outlining how to use the spells somehow make it worse than 1.23? I mean, let's not pretend that rotations in 1.23 were rocket science--they were, in theory, less complicated even than what we're seeing in ARR beta (at high level). And THM/BLM? lol. Thunder->Thundara forever, Thundaga after crit buff and toss a Freeze when your threat got too high. That's all there was to it. ARR THM/BLM is infinitely more interesting than before.

Blizzard spells are also pretty useful for soloing and they're also pretty key for a THM that wants to stay busy as a healer/offhealer in a small group setting--keeps your mana regen strong while you cast other stuff.

Riposte

Me either. I liked 1.23 combat system and would have been happy with that system as a base in ARR (given better interface, infrastructure, etc.) but how in the world does THM math outlining how to use the spells somehow make it worse than 1.23? I mean, let's not pretend that rotations in 1.23 were rocket science--they were, in theory, less complicated even than what we're seeing in ARR beta (at high level). And THM/BLM? lol. Thunder->Thundara forever, Thundaga after crit buff and toss a Freeze when your threat got too high. That's all there was to it. ARR THM/BLM is infinitely more interesting than before.

Blizzard spells are also pretty useful for soloing and they're also pretty key for a THM that wants to stay busy as a healer/offhealer in a small group setting--keeps your mana regen strong while you cast other stuff.

Consider it two partially related thoughts. One is that everything I read about the combat system comes out as negative. Next is that, through my personal experience (which didn't feature much THM play) I liked my time with 1.23 better than ARR.

Jijidasu

I wonder how seriously they'll take this criticism. I mean, there are a lot of shortcomings with this system as a product of a rushed schedule no doubt, but can these problems be turned around via patches or do you think it's a real core issue?

Personally I don't think it's bad but I think the extreme flashiness needs to be toned down (looks like it is going to be) because it's giving me bloody headaches. And perhaps they need to re-evaluate the depth of attributes, as it seems a lot of the attributes are useless outside of core modifiers.

I suppose if enough people make noise about the battle system they'll have to do something, although I doubt it'll happen before launch at this rate (~2 months until launch).

Also, FFXIV_JP twitter reported there'll be a new trailer at Japan Expo this coming Thursday. (21:45PM (JST) start for the live stream stage event)

omlet

ARR's core system is sound, I think. It needs refinement but it's got a good base they can work from, unlike 1.x. The battle system will surely evolve--the important thing is this time they have a framework and an infrastructure that will enable it rather than hinder it.

Riposte

But... I didn't see any negativity in that blog you linked...

The negativity is my own, although people have talked about the class and job elsewhere and were negative about it.

I don't like the relationship between Fire I and the other fire spells. I don't like where Ice stands in the system, especially with Transpose, which highlights the lack of "combo" feel to Umbral Ice between Astral Fire and is basically a way to get around it entirely. The "Ancient Magic" spells are similarly disappointing from what I've seen. I don't like how Thunder spells are handled, because they are highly conservative spells on a class which already has something like Umbral Ice (consider this more of an Umbral Ice complaint). A smaller thing is that spells sort of go through the same thing as weapon skills in ARR, where they are mostly small, repeated attacks - as a FFXI BLM main it sort of pains me that spamming Fire I alongside what amounts to 3 elemental Dots (Shock) is the optimal. I liked making things go boom (and having to deal with the consequences). Another thing, although I can't say it is conclusive, is that while spamming Fire magic on my THM (levels 15-24~), hate was not an issue at all. In some cases this included AoE fire and ice magic, but I admit while in Toto-rak, I did pull hate on the monsters the tank wasn't fighting. Tanks are much more powerful in this game, so I don't know how that will work with the smaller spells.

EDIT: It seems critical damage+ is less affected by level, which is good. Unfortunately, they also removed critical damage+ gear/materia so that's less of a thing now.

erawsd

I wonder how seriously they'll take this criticism. I mean, there are a lot of shortcomings with this system as a product of a rushed schedule no doubt, but can these problems be turned around via patches or do you think it's a real core issue?

Personally I don't think it's bad but I think the extreme flashiness needs to be toned down (looks like it is going to be) because it's giving me bloody headaches. And perhaps they need to re-evaluate the depth of attributes, as it seems a lot of the attributes are useless outside of core modifiers.

I suppose if enough people make noise about the battle system they'll have to do something, although I doubt it'll happen before launch at this rate (~2 months until launch).

Also, FFXIV_JP twitter reported there'll be a new trailer at Japan Expo this coming Thursday. (21:45PM (JST) start for the live stream stage event)

Personally, I think its good at a basic level. They def need to think more about how these things all come together and flow at level 50. Right now there are things that are very awkward and just aren't fun to use. For instance, Howling Fist on my Monk is a 5 minute CD and it barely does more damage than any other WS. Dragoon has a similar issue with all their Jump being on fairly long 3-5min CDs. I also think the staple of Final Fantasy battle systems is the "payoff".

For the record I think ARR Monk plays much better than 1.23 did, there are just some rough edges I'd like to see addressed before release.

I mean, let's not pretend that rotations in 1.23 were rocket science--they were, in theory, less complicated even than what we're seeing in ARR beta (at high level). And THM/BLM? lol. Thunder->Thundara forever, Thundaga after crit buff and toss a Freeze when your threat got too high. That's all there was to it. ARR THM/BLM is infinitely more interesting than before.

This.

Is that what we used in Garuda? I didn't get to use BLM that much on her so i can't remember.

Caerith

I agree that the combat system doesn't feel "FFXI" at all for two reasons.

1. You basically just spam weapon skills all day.

You have an autoattack, but you might never notice it because you're just mashing the button for Straight Shot over and over. Sometimes you re-apply Heavy Shot's buff or reapply the poison weapon skill, sometimes you use a skill with marginally higher damage but a greater cooldown. Overall, I feel like I'm going to wear out my R2 and O buttons.

2. None of your abilities are particularly drastic.

If you've played for any length of time, you have a buff move that gives you 20-30s of 20% more defense or attack and a cooldown of several minutes. I moved mine off the R2 crossbars because I almost never use it-- no battle is going to swing in the balance if I forget to use it or use it at the wrong time.

By comparison, FFXI abilities were all drastic. Sentinel was 90% damage reduction for 30 seconds (5 minute cooldown), Elemental Seal doubled the potency of your next spell, and let's not get started on Hundred Fists.

Weapon Skills are so watered down you could mistake them for Bud Lite, and there's no need to coordinate with your party for anything as crazy/tactical as skill chains and magic bursts. FFXIV's combat is nothing like FFXI's.

omlet

Is that what we used in Garuda? I didn't get to use BLM that much on her so i can't remember.

I was usually tanking or healing so I didn't have it memorized on BLM but it was basically Thunder->Thundara a few times at first, then you switched to your burn rotation which was Thunder (Excruciate right before or right after) -> Thundara->Parsimony->Thundaga->Thunder->Thundara->Blizzard->Thunder->Thundara->probably Freeze by now just to be safe->Thunder->Thundara->Convert->Necrogenesis ->Burst->Second Wind (by this time she should have already done her blast)->Thunder->Thundara->(MP allowing) Thundaga->Blizzara-> then if not dead, elixir/kiss->Thunder->Thundara->Thundaga. By this time she'd either be dead or you would.

Something like that.

Teknoman

How much did sentinel reduce damage in 1.0, because that was the difference between life and death during Ifrit battle hellfire.

Also the flashy effects are supposed to be toned down, or at least will have the option to do so later. As for the battle system, things started feeling more interesting for me around level 15, or at least when you start unlocking more new class skills via quests.

Boss Man

I agree that the combat system doesn't feel "FFXI" at all for two reasons.

1. You basically just spam weapon skills all day.

2. None of your abilities are particularly drastic.

Weapon Skills are so watered down you could mistake them for Bud Lite, and there's no need to coordinate with your party for anything as crazy/tactical as skill chains and magic bursts. FFXIV's combat is nothing like FFXI's.
Honestly, if they just changed the "Limit Break" thing to where it's a unique ability that each class and/or job gets after a certain amount of 'combat' takes place (X many abilities used, Y many abilities used on you or a party member) that might alleviate a lot of this.

Teknoman

I'm pretty sure those pics are of the Hecatoncheir fought in Copperbell Mines. They're called Hecatoncheir in-game and the NPCs giving the quest called them that as well. Maybe Shiva will be fought beneath the desert?

So they arent called gigas anymore then? In that case, even though that enemy in the art slightly represents Hecaton boss from FF3, its something else entirely? What i was fighting was a fate nm, so wasnt sure the name of the beast tribe type, aside from the fact that it looked like a gigas from xi.

erawsd

Honestly, if they just changed the "Limit Break" thing to where it's a unique ability that each class gets whether solo or in a party (jobs can get a special additional one that is only an option while in party)...an ability that you get to use on average once every ~3 fights or so after some meter is built. That might be enough to alleviate a great deal of this.

A bit surprised to see the route they went with limit breaks.

Agreed. A proper limit break system would cap off the battle system nicely. As I mentioned above there are a bunch of long CD/awkward use skills that don't make much sense right now (howling fist, dmg jumps, ancient magic ect), they'd be perfect for that type of thing.

theta11

Honestly, if they just changed the "Limit Break" thing to where it's a unique ability that each class and/or job gets after a certain amount of 'combat' takes place (X many abilities used, Y many abilities used on you or a party member) that might alleviate a lot of this.

I really wish limit breaks were individual and not group & role based. It's one the few disappointing things for me in combat.

Caerith

So they arent called gigas anymore then? In that case, even though that enemy in the art slightly represents Hecaton boss from FF3, its something else entirely? What i was fighting was a fate nm, so wasnt sure the name of the beast tribe type, aside from the fact that it looked like a gigas from xi.
I quit 1.0 before they started charging, so I've never seen a gigas in XIV. Those things are called Hecatoncheir. It doesn't make any sense to me since they only have two arms.

While I agree that each class should have its own unique Limit Break-- it is utterly stupid that Archers have Healing Wind-- I don't think that would change all that much. You're still stuck with one Limit Break gauge for the entire party, so most classes are never going to get to use theirs anyway.

Windam

Scaley member
Boo, wasn't home this weekend so I didn't get to play, and now the phase is done? Argh. I just got my beta key, too. :(

Teknoman

I quit 1.0 before they started charging, so I've never seen a gigas in XIV. Those things are called Hecatoncheir. It doesn't make any sense to me since they only have two arms.

Oh they werent in 1.0, so its still a new intro here. I agree with the fact that it doesnt make sense, but then again neither did:

jbuN8rIGmLuZnR.png

and his name was Hecaton/Hecatoncheir :p Square isnt one for sticking too close to what their enemy names originated from. Qiqirn for example are supposed to be big hairless dog monsters.

Boo, wasn't home this weekend so I didn't get to play, and now the phase is done? Argh. I just got my beta key, too. :(

You've still got next weekend/whatever they extend it to.

Caerith

Oh they werent in 1.0, so its still a new intro here. I agree with the fact that it doesnt make sense, but then again neither did:

jbuN8rIGmLuZnR.png

and his name was Hecaton/Hecatoncheir :p Square isnt one for sticking too close to what their enemy names originated from. Qiqirn for example are supposed to be big hairless dog monsters.

You've still got next weekend/whatever they extend it to.
Well, Hecatoncheires in FFXIII was at least somewhat accurate. Maybe not in how Vanille used his Gestalt, but I won't say more about that in case children are present.

I'd like to see each player have their own limit break bar and for players to be able to combine their limit breaks into some kind of cool combo attack instead of just deciding which limit break would be most helpful in a given situation and saving it so that one player can use it at the right time.

I like the limit break concept more than I like them in practice so far. I expect they'll be getting a number of modifications due to feedback, but we'll see.

Caerith

I'd like to see each player have their own limit break bar and for players to be able to combine their limit breaks into some kind of cool combo attack instead of just deciding which limit break would be most helpful in a given situation and saving it so that one player can use it at the right time.

I like the limit break concept more than I like them in practice so far. I expect they'll be getting a number of modifications due to feedback, but we'll see.
Agreed, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that feedback. The beta forums are full of stupid, and it doesn't help that they're closed most of the time and extremely limited when they're open.

Teknoman

YOO GIVE CLINK-CLINK TO SUMMON FENREER?

Qiqirns having a Primal seems odd. I don't think there's a single Qiqirn mage in the game? They just seem too stupid to wield magic.

I dunno, I think they're supposed to have odd vocal chords or something. At any rate, i'm not sure if this is canon but:

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/Category:Qiqirn

All the same, they are exceedingly clever things. They know their numbers as well as any scholar, and have a gift for merchant trade, as well.

(I know they are usually merchants and go after shiny stuff, I mean the entry from the Ul'dah npc)

Maybe they just sound stupid? I mean I never thought i'd see a lizardman buying sausage from a butcher, anything is possible now :p

Ravidrath

Until they add Calculator as a Job, I'm still going to say that being good at numbers is not the same as wielding magic.

Actually, that lore entry reminds me...

Has anyone seen a dodo in 2.0 anywhere?

theta11

Until they add Calculator as a Job, I'm still going to say that being good at numbers is not the same as wielding magic.

Actually, that lore entry reminds me...

Has anyone seen a dodo in 2.0 anywhere?

I saw a dodo! But I can't remember where. I think in Lower Noscea?

Seeing that water in the artwork really makes me wish you could swim in the game. :(

Teknoman

The last picture is titled Barbarian village, but it looks like Kobold architecture, even though they seem to live underground.

Agreed, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that feedback. The beta forums are full of stupid, and it doesn't help that they're closed most of the time and extremely limited when they're open.

I've yet to see an official forum that isn't full of stupid...

I think Yoshi-P and the dev team have done an admirable job of filtering through the stupid stuff and pulling out the posts that make sense and the requests that are reasonable and have taken that and improved the game quite a bit for phase 3.

Munba

The last picture is titled Barbarian village, but it looks like Kobold architecture, even though they seem to live underground.

That seems goblin architecture, very similar to the building in the materia-goblin camp.

I saw dodos in northern la noscea and they have their little nests too lol.

kiryogi

Banned
Letter from the Producer, XLVII (07/02/2013)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62652

Letter from the Producer, XLVII (07/02/2013)

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, bringing you the forty-seventh Letter from the Producer!

I hope everyone who's been accepted into the beta has been enjoying themselves so far. The team is carefully reading over all your feedback, verifying and squashing urgent bugs. We've received many critical reports for the PlayStation 3 version, in particular, and they've all been resolved without incident.

Now that we're halfway through phase 3, all that's left is to stress test the duty finder, and to monitor server stability over a long period. It won't be long until phase 4, early access, and the big day arrive, so the team is really giving it their all.

It's been hectic preparing for release, but I've managed to sneak in a little anonymous game time during phase 3 as well. This past weekend I was playing as a conjurer, partying with random players to collect gear from the dungeons. No matter how many runs I did though, not a single robe dropped. But then, on my last run, the robe I'd been waiting for finally appeared in the loot list! Needless to say, I lotted on it right away—but then the thaumaturge lotted and won by two points. It was all I could do to type "Congrats!" while biting back my tears.

Anyway, let's put those unfortunate events behind us. Now that the latest testing period has ended, I'll be heading to Paris for this year's Japan Expo. Not only will I be giving a presentation on FFXIV: ARR, but I'll also be doing interviews with a number of media outlets. My schedule's looking more hectic by the minute.

As producer and director, things will only get tougher from here on out. As much as I hate riding those metallic nightmares they call airplanes, I think I can muster up the courage if it means meeting all of our fans in Europe.
(That's not to say our North American and Japanese fans aren't important too. )

And with that, I'm off to Europe. See you soon!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
But then, on my last run, the robe I'd been waiting for finally appeared in the loot list! Needless to say, I lotted on it right away—but then the thaumaturge lotted and won by two points. It was all I could do to type "Congrats!" while biting back my tears.

Story of my MMO life right there Yoshi-P. ;_;

Jinko

Story of my MMO life right there Yoshi-P. ;_;

Ironic really considering there has been complaint on the offical forums that mage loot doesn't drop as often as the other classes, yet it still doesn't get fixed.

I reckon the loot list should be based/influenced on the party make up personally.

omlet

Ironic really considering there has been complaint on the offical forums that mage loot doesn't drop as often as the other classes, yet it still doesn't get fixed.

Bullshit lol. When I ran the first 3 dungeons two weeks ago we got nothing but mage gear... we even got one or two of the same mage items twice in the same session. Last weekend doing the higher level dungeons we saw a more even mix (maybe a little higher on the DoW, but RNG is RNG).

Bullshit lol. When I ran the first 3 dungeons two weeks ago we got nothing but mage gear... we even got one or two of the same mage items twice in the same session. Last weekend doing the higher level dungeons we saw a more even mix (maybe a little higher on the DoW, but RNG is RNG).

This has been my experience as well..

Nothing but mage gear for some runs

Jinko

Well whatever still loot based on party make up would still make more sense.

omlet

Well whatever still loot based on party make up would still make more sense.

If this were a game like WoW then I would agree (DAMN YOU WARLOCK GEAR) but since you can switch classes getting random gear is fine since you can greed it for your other classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom