• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding a bunch of classes is not a good idea (especially not three more blade users). 1 or 2 should be enough for a long time. We also don't really need more than 2 jobs per class.

There's only about 4 classes desired at this point, and that's only to facilitate the jobs people want.

A as far as blade users, it's all aesthetic. The weapons are just a mean to an end. Style is what people want anyway, and besides, party size (and therefore roles) only allow for so many people at a time. Variety won't change that.

Caerith

Looks like this is the big test... no specified end date.

Looks that way, they've always specified the end date.

With the testing details including when the duty finder will become available and also the closing schedule of the next Beta test, we will be making another announcement before the test begins.
tumblr_inline_miv3xaHpkg1qz4rgp.gif

Caerith

It depends on how delayed the duty finder is, really. I'd guess no more than a day, and that we'll get no more than three days out of this test.

erawsd

Adding a bunch of classes is not a good idea (especially not three more blade users). 1 or 2 should be enough for a long time. We also don't really need more than 2 jobs per class.

Yeah, 2 jobs per class seems like a good number to me. I'd also like to see each have a damage and support role, like I wouldn't want LNC to have DrK or SAM jobs if all they're doing is melee DPS.

Murometz

Neo Member
Sooo, with the Arcanist coming to Limsa Lominsa at launch, isn't the city still one class short compared to others? Is the Musketeer confirmed to follow soon after?

Allard

Yoshi-P's next priority is on a Scout job, ala Thief.

Well he could bring musketeer in, and give the Ranger job to it and give it traps and the like :p (But the .DAT seem to imply the first job for Musketeer if/when its released is "Gunner"). He mainly talked about having a roguish/assasin like class capable of slipping in and out of battle and setting up traps or sneaky damage.

Actually another really good question in all this, how exactly will new classes other then Musketeer get introduced, there are no other Guild's currently shown in the world yet. I suppose maybe the next time we see new classes is whenever Ishgard might open up. You would think 3-4 new guilds could be shown there with ease, I remember in 1.0 before we learned about the restructuring that people assumed Fencer, Shepard (this one was all but confirmed in Ishgard), Enforcer and Mystic might be in there.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I remember in 1.0 before we learned about the restructuring that people assumed Fencer, Shepard (this one was all but confirmed in Ishgard), Enforcer and Mystic might be in there.

Nothing about those classes (and Flayer etc) have been seen since 1.0 data mining, right? I'd like a hammer/club class, but I'm not really sure what Jobs could come off it ('Judge', maybe).

Shouta

2) Don't put second- or third-tier melee in the game, which FFXI loved doing to an absurd degree. I don't want daggers or anything nearly that flimsy to be the base of a class. Give Thief a gun, crossbow, or throwing weapons I say. That applies especially to something like a Red Mage.

Correction. FFXI doesn't have many second or third-tier melee when looking at actual jobs. They have second or third-tier melees based on content.

That's the big problem with XI and I can see with XIV going forward if they intend on adding more classes and jobs. The content needs to be challenging and flexible enough to facilitate all of the classes/jobs in the game or you end up creating inequity. That causes the player base to discriminate and it just drags down the game.

That said, they don't need to add too many classes/jobs just yet. Relaunch isn't even live yet so it's to early to be considering more.

Correction. FFXI doesn't have many second or third-tier melee when looking at actual jobs. They have second or third-tier melees based on content.

That's the big problem with XI and I can see with XIV going forward if they intend on adding more classes and jobs. The content needs to be challenging and flexible enough to facilitate all of the classes/jobs in the game or you end up creating inequity. That causes the player base to discriminate and it just drags down the game.

That said, they don't need to add too many classes/jobs just yet. Relaunch isn't even live yet so it's to early to be considering more.

This is clearly one of the goals the have now. That's the reason behind how LB system works among other things. And even sacrificing some things is more than a worthy goal, I like it.

And I think 8 classes and 9 jobs is a good number to start, I know people have several jobs/classes maxed, but the game is relaunching, most players will be new players and that number is more than enough.

erawsd

This is clearly one of the goals the have now. That's the reason behind how LB system works among other things. And even sacrificing some things is more than a worthy goal, I like it.

And I think 8 classes and 9 jobs is a good number to start, I know people have several jobs/classes maxed, but the game is relaunching, most players will be new players and that number is more than enough.

They've also got a good spread of group roles. Theres 2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 ranged DD and 2 melee DD.

theta11

They've also got a good spread of group roles. Theres 2 tanks, 2 healers, 2 ranged DD and 2 melee DD.

There really should be a ranged damage limit break, I sorta understand why they didn't add one but there should be other reasons to have melee in the party.

Jinko

That seems like it'd be hard to do with the limited number of Job abilities and the entirety of the class' role still attached.

Well then the system is inherently bad then, It makes no sense to have Gladiator with 2 tanking specs.

...why? That's really random. Musketeer's pretty much a blank slate and exists alongside the other classes in the game world.

I just feel Fusilier would make for a better class.

There is nothing to say that later down the road once 2nd jobs are in place that they need to rely on the class skills to be useful either, in fact I hope it doesn't otherwise you go back to what I mentioned above with having 2 tank classes on Gladitor for example because the class system is holding the jobs system back.

Well then the system is inherently bad then, It makes no sense to have Gladiator with 2 tanking specs.

I just feel Fusilier would make for a better class.

There is nothing to say that later down the road once 2nd jobs are in place that they need to rely on the class skills to be useful either, in fact I hope it doesn't otherwise you go back to what I mentioned above with having 2 tank classes on Gladitor for example because the class system is holding the jobs system back.

I guess at some point they'll have new weapons for each class giving new skills?...that would be confusing though.

Riposte

If they wanted to keep players busy, they should have added this game's Merit system and tied point allotment (as pointless as it is is) to that. Then again, if each class is going to have its own set of merits, then they should make them pretty easy to obtain.

Ravidrath

If they wanted to keep players busy, they should have added this game's Merit system and tied point allotment (as pointless as it is is) to that. Then again, if each class is going to have its own set of merits, then they should make them pretty easy to obtain.

I'd like a merit system some day, I think, but I'd rather it be based on doing endgame content like dungeons, etc. than experience grinding.

The main reason I want this is so everyone has an incentive to help out with FC events, etc. even if they're already "done" with that content.

Riposte

I'd like a merit system some day, I think, but I'd rather it be based on doing endgame content like dungeons, etc. than experience grinding.

The main reason I want this is so everyone has an incentive to help out with FC events, etc. even if they're already "done" with that content.

Fair enough. I actually had keeping low level dungeons and FATEs alive in mind too.

EDIT: Posted this in a wrong thread... guess I ought to post it here:

I read a questionable "leak" of Arcanist actions and, thematically, it was basically the original thaumaturge with carbuncle.

Allard

Fair enough. I actually had keeping low level dungeons and FATEs alive in mind too.

I read a questionable "leak" of Arcanist actions and, thematically, it was basically the original thaumaturge with carbuncle.

So bio/dia, slow (debuffs) absorb spells and a small heal over time heal? (Hadn't seen the leak yet). Does it have scourge and banish?

Caerith

That sounds about right. Thaumaturge got all their abilities taken away when they became 1.0 Conjurers.

Allard

That uh XIVDB.com site has maps of Mor Dhona and Coerthas out. Looks like Coerthas is getting the Central, West, Lower and East treatment so about 4 zones whereas Mor Dhona seems to only have one.

http://xivdb.com/?maps/63/r1f1-00/Coerthas/Coerthas-Central-Highlands

Pretty cool!

Seems pretty incomplete. Some zonelines stated but no maps given, and no obvious means to walk to any of the Mor Dhona Zonelines. Maybe we will see more later, it almost seems like they are putting them together piece by piece using the squared map data.

Munba

Central Coerthas seems pretty big (can't wait to hear its music tracks too).
There a lot of new maps there too (Castrum Meridianum seems BIG). There is also a huge map named Garuda-something..

I wish to know if Western Shroud will exist..

Munba

Yes i think so but the area seems too huge to be a battleground lol. Or maybe that map in the site is built with random squares.

Ravidrath

Yes i think so but the area seems too huge to be a battleground lol. Or maybe that map in the site is built with random squares.

I think like the 1.0 battleground, you'll be confined to a small part of that by a tornado or whatever, and all of that is just in the background for a scenic vista.

Jijidasu

The map name is temporary, the big one you're all talking about. It says Garuda's battle field and then in brackets is 仮

I'd like to hope that they do fill out the region with more areas.

Munba

I want to see Silvetear Falls -aka the beautiful place in the first 1.0 intro- in game one day (with directx11 coolness)... also in a playable flashback.

N.A

Banned
New blog post: eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

Hello all!
Fernehalwes here in muggy Tokyo dreaming of holding hands with a chestnut-eyed Parisian under the Arc de Triomphe while eating slices of ripe brie to the soothing sounds of chanson.

Yoshi-P, on the other hand, is LIVING the dream at Japan Expo. Why, just this morning, I found this picture of him on Twitter:

JP20130704_5.jpg

That's OBVIOUSLY the producer/director illicitly using our project's funds to catch some tasteless cabaret act.

OR...

It could be that he's attending the premiere for the new live-action FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn television commercial! The following COULD be stills from that commercial...

JP20130704_1.jpg

JP20130704_2.jpg

JP20130704_3.jpg

JP20130704_4.jpg

My sources at Square Enix Europe tell me that from concept to completion, the commercial has been a year-and-a-half in the making, and it will be debuting in PAL regions in the weeks before ARR launches (which is why we cannot post the actual video here yet).

My sources also tell me that the costumes used in the filming will be on display at this year's Gamescom in Germany, complete with Miqo'te models and all!

I know where I'll be this August!

(in Tokyo, translating patch notes... /cry)

Fernehalwes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom