• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris-013

So I did everything in the beta, I'm not sure what I will do next test... maybe test the duty finder ! I still don't understand why yoshida said brayflox was a bit too hard, the lv15 main story quest I can understand but this dungeon was easy. The tank must only avoid the poison attack on the first boss and the last boss was a joke. ^^;

I know there are legacy players here, can one of you post a screenshot of the pugilist/monk skills with the fire-like attack ? I think it's howling fist but I'm not sure or maybe it's rockbreaker ?

zeitgeist

Oh wow, yeah there is only one beast tribe for Ul Dah so far. If every city gets 2 primals and technically 2 beast tribes eventually, shouldn't Ul Dah get Shiva? Maybe they will do something different for her.

Teknoman

The game really opens up after you get your airship pass. Just wandering around La Noscea, with the feeling of exploring a totally new and different place is amazing.

jAumqqtxC3RbP.png

jbsDXkH03B8B4k.png

j7MLrtYRxRUN7.png

jox1k13O0u0Uq.png

jqDTKhuTh0dbM.png

jimj7I2g5P1Q3.png

jzRKykpX38zBu.png

jHeXcMOunp5hl.png

jyiYpfHBETzp8.png

jboZLjGpUhGx9d.png

jbs7a6M41KbuKy.png

jbhvz8QUwtxR3r.png

jbioMAdXBIBlCm.png

jbibf2sdY9SvQc.png

jH0MDRwoKNMbb.png

j095RX8KWmPsk.png

jy7AnvTXaX5vp.png

jVGvC3PZckshI.png

Also Mamool'ja...visiting the local butcher?

Jijidasu

An interesting thread has popped up on the Japanese side basically begging Yoshida to put the release date back because (the individual and some other poor souls) believe there to be extreme problems with how the game works. His main point was that the conducting line (can't think of a better way to translate this word so early in the morning) that introduces players to game is developed in a way to accommodate seasoned MMO players only. The person made complaints that there's no tutorial (yet) on how to seek for a party, how to chat, how to use a Linkshell and so on.

I can't help but feel that this isn't made around "seasoned" players, and instead just "people who play games". I recall going into FFXI a decade ago knowing jack-shit about anything but you learn over time. Is there really such a need for this much hand-holding into the game? Why don't people press buttons until "it works" like we used to do? When is it "too much"?

Last night on Durandal a FC member said there was a new player (JP) shouting in extreme formal language asking how to play the game, like he had absolutely no idea what to do at all. This speaks volumes to me that this player is less a MMO novice and just a novice to gaming in general. He shouted "I'm a beginner, what do I do?" - I think that the introduction does a lot for new players as I tried with my partner, she read the quest dialogue, and immediately noticed the duty list on the side panel telling her where to go. She had only ever played FFXI prior, and there was none of this hand-holding, "here's your quest itinerary, ma'am" back then.

I honestly think that if you're not up to the good ol' fashioned "bang buttons until it works" approach to figuring stuff out you're not ready to play an MMO. I can't help but be biased in my view on this because using a game-pad, keyboard and so on are natural to me, and I imagine most if not all other people who will think about this will find the same, it's hard to think about going into a game with naught knowledge on basic functions, especially movement but I can certainly say that there are better ways to learn instead of jumping into a MMO head first.

LowParry

I was so glad to finally unlock dyes. I think they put all the garish beginner gear in there on purpose, just to make people appreciate dye that much more.

Maybe I'll test this but couldn't you just go right to the dye vendor and purchase your dyes after you've done a few quests for money? The quests that gives dyes is just that, a quest. Nothing that unlocks that I recall.

I loved the story difficulty.

I was trying to do the
Oh Captain
quest and died a couple of times before I realised that it was the mage that was causing those fire explosions. After talking to a friendly Conjurer that was stationed there raising everyone that failed (such a kind fellow!), he suggested Sleep against him. I had to make clever use of Sleep to keep him busy and Blizzara to run away so I could give the helper some time to heal me. I died about 5 or 6 times against him, and was raised every time by the friendly Conjurer. So intense.

Akuosa

Maybe I'll test this but couldn't you just go right to the dye vendor and purchase your dyes after you've done a few quests for money? The quests that gives dyes is just that, a quest. Nothing that unlocks that I recall.
It does unlock the "dye" action that you need to use to dye stuff.

Munba

I have no idea what happened here :p

But it's perfect lol.

Jijidasu said:
An interesting thread has popped up on the Japanese side basically begging Yoshida to put the release date back because (the individual and some other poor souls) believe there to be extreme problems with how the game works. His main point was that the conducting line (can't think of a better way to translate this word so early in the morning) that introduces players to game is developed in a way to accommodate seasoned MMO players only. The person made complaints that there's no tutorial (yet) on how to seek for a party, how to chat, how to use a Linkshell and so on.

The game is FULL of tutorials.. dunno what he's talking about. And no, that is not a good reason to delay a game imo.

Teknoman

I was trying to do the
Oh Captain
quest and died a couple of times before I realised that it was the mage that was causing those fire explosions. After talking to a friendly Conjurer that was stationed there raising everyone that failed (such a kind fellow!), he suggested Sleep against him. I had to make clever use of Sleep to keep him busy and Blizzara to run away so I could give the helper some time to heal me. I died about 5 or 6 times against him, and was raised every time by the friendly Conjurer. So intense.

I just kept fighting whatever Owyne was, then moved over to the main enemy.

EDIT: Accommodate seasoned? The first damn 20 levels or so equals one big tutorial :/ Also when all else fails, just ask someone how to do something, or read the manual / E-manual / in game tutorial log.

I can't help but feel that this isn't made around "seasoned" players, and instead just "people who play games". I recall going into FFXI a decade ago knowing jack-shit about anything but you learn over time. Is there really such a need for this much hand-holding into the game? Why don't people press buttons until "it works" like we used to do? When is it "too much"?

Last night on Durandal a FC member said there was a new player (JP) shouting in extreme formal language asking how to play the game, like he had absolutely no idea what to do at all. This speaks volumes to me that this player is less a MMO novice and just a novice to gaming in general. He shouted "I'm a beginner, what do I do?" - I think that the introduction does a lot for new players as I tried with my partner, she read the quest dialogue, and immediately noticed the duty list on the side panel telling her where to go. She had only ever played FFXI prior, and there was none of this hand-holding, "here's your quest itinerary, ma'am" back then.

I honestly think that if you're not up to the good ol' fashioned "bang buttons until it works" approach to figuring stuff out you're not ready to play an MMO. I can't help but be biased in my view on this because using a game-pad, keyboard and so on are natural to me, and I imagine most if not all other people who will think about this will find the same, it's hard to think about going into a game with naught knowledge on basic functions, especially movement but I can certainly say that there are better ways to learn instead of jumping into a MMO head first.

I guess at some point you have to separate between game mechanics and social aspects. Is not really different that just landing in a new country with their own traditions and language, you will be lost in the first days but you will learn with time, you don't have tutorials and is something humans can do quite well.

Also I'm pretty sure the game has a tutorial of how to flag yourself ro look for parties and all, seriously in every minimal aspect of the game it shows you a big sign and a tutorial, the game can't be more handholding than now and if people can follow such simple instructions then they are gonna get lost anyway.

I guess stupidity is not only in the english speaking parts of the beta forums...

Kandinsky

Cross posting (why do we have 2 threads omg!)

Had fun this weekend, tho I do think CNJ is kinda boring, especially party gameplay, which is unfortunate because I love healing classes. I don't like that detrimental status on players lasts a few seconds at most, it usually wears by the time I'm finishing casting esuna for example, I also don't appreciate the visual effects, they're too "flashy" and confusing, I ended up just checking hp bars and ignoring the fight themselves because of it, they really need to tone them down a bit IMO. Next weekend will be DD time for me and check how "fun" they are, because as it is I'm not really feeling it.
Hexa Strike will return.

Edit: Also to paint heavy armor do you do it with the dye command as well?

Edit2: LL is the best starting zone.

Edit3: Limit Breaks, how do they work?, do you have a time window for everyone to use theirs at the same time or just one member of the party use it and thats it?.

Cross posting (why do we have 2 threads omg!)

Had fun this weekend, tho I do think CNJ is kinda boring, especially party gameplay, which is unfortunate because I love healing classes. I don't like that detrimental status on players lasts a few seconds at most, it usually wears by the time I'm finishing casting esuna for example, I also don't appreciate the visual effects, they're too "flashy" and confusing, I ended up just checking hp bars and ignoring the fight themselves because of it, they really need to tone them down a bit IMO. Next weekend will be DD time for me and check how "fun" they are, because as it is I'm not really feeling it.
Hexa Strike will return.

Edit: Also to paint heavy armor do you do it with the dye command as well?

Edit2: LL is the best starting zone.

Edit3: Limit Breaks, how do they work?, do you have a time window for everyone to use theirs at the same time or just one member of the party use it and thats it?.

If you find people bad enough to get hit by bad breath, then you will have a ton of debuffs to remove.

Teknoman

Yeah dye works on all material types, as long as its not unique. Also I think the belt shares the same color as your body armor. Havent used a limit break yet, but I wonder how the party would decide on what or when to use it?

I guess party size / level also determines what breaks are available?

mingus

Only one use and that's it, usually reserved for a DD for single damage or the THM for aoe damage.

Xux

I used the Shield Wall against the Sastasha boss...seemed better than the datamined stat (10% damage reduction for 10 seconds?) I'm seeing, lol.

Anyway, beat Sastasha with 2 MRD, GLD, and a LNC. GLD said they didn't know how to tank; the other Marauder and I picked up the slack well enough, I guess. I actually lasted about 15 seconds longer than I really should've spamming Bloodbath + Overpower on one attempt. The last attempt...I don't even know how we won; it felt like Denn was at 25% and then I mash Overpower and cutscene. Maybe the LNC used Braver, lol.

Caerith

Class quests give you abilities, and then there's job quests which give you abilities and your artifact armor.

There will be at least two more primal battles in the main storyline, too: Titan and Garuda. And I'd imagine that Ramuh and any others will be put in there eventually, as well.
Are there any more global abilities to look forward to? Like how we got Return, Teleport, Dye, Summon Chocobo, etc, as we leveled.

Does Uldah even have a second beast tribe? I can't recall any besides the Amalja.
Can we count the Hecatoncheir? Because, if so:

Ul'Dah:
Amal'jaa - Ifrit
Hecatoncheir - ???

Limsa Lominsa -
Sahagin - how do they not get sued for using these - Leviathan
Kobold - Titan

Gridania -
Ixal - Garuda
Sylphs - Ramuh

Jinko

Funny thing is so many people ignore those help pop up's and then run around later not knowing how to do stuff anyway, I really wonder if there is much point in having them sometimes.

It's definitely not something worth holding the game back, if someone wants to play it that badly they will learn just like you mentioned how we did with FFXI.]

I was trying to do the
Oh Captain

Hmm actually you don't need to sleep him, the mage won't attack you until you kill the demon. >.> (unless I am thinking of a different fight)
You did it the hard way :p

Yeah dye works on all material types, as long as its not unique.

You can dye unique items also, I died my Hamlet Cutter's Hat :p (sadly I ran out of dye to complete the set)
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1348445/

erawsd

Only one use and that's it, usually reserved for a DD for single damage or the THM for aoe damage.

Yeah, having used them this weekend I couldn't be more disappointed. Proper, single person limit breaks with some type of "skill chain" factor during would have been so much better and really helped to distinguish the combat system vs other MMOs.

At the least they should make a unique animations for each class. Looks weird for my Monk to whip out a giant great sword and whack away at the mob.

Munba

At the least they should make a unique animations for each class. Looks weird for my Monk to whip out a giant great sword and whack away at the mob.

I think they'll add proper animations in release, also because i don't think a dragoon will perform the monk's Final Heaven (martial arts) lol... it'd be pretty ridiculous.

Taruranto

The tutorial generation plays mmorpg.

A good reason to delay the game would be a major revamp to the BS to add combos and the like, even on the Beta tester forum a lot of people seem kinda displeased with it.

Munba

I think BS is pretty ok. But i'd like to see more combos though.

In any case they can add stuff to the BS also just after the release.

Xux

Sahuagin probably just isn't copyrighted and, if they didn't care about it 25 years ago with the first Final Fantasy, they probably don't care about it now along with all the other D'n'D references.

Hmm actually you don't need to sleep him, the mage won't attack you until you kill the demon. >.> (unless I am thinking of a different fight)
You did it the hard way :p
It's a different fight. I'm talking about the
fight against the captain and the mage with a funny name at lv14.
I just kept him sleeping while I dealt with the other 3 enemies, and when things got tough after that I used Blizzara to get him stuck and run away until the helper tossed a few Cures.

Bogeypop

Uh oh dunno if it's a SE store fluke or something, but apparently they're out of stock of the physical CE.
It's strange that I checked on it periodically yesterday afternoon (since I recall someone else in one of the XIV threads mention the SE store was sold-out of CEs) and at one point it WAS in stock, but I don't know for how long.
Now I'm checking like a hawk so I can hopefully pre-order and rest easy.

ZiZ

Are there any more global abilities to look forward to? Like how we got Return, Teleport, Dye, Summon Chocobo, etc, as we leveled.

Ul'Dah:
Amal'jaa - Ifrit
Hecatoncheir - ???

Limsa Lominsa -
Kobold - Titan

Gridania -
Ixal - Garuda
Sylphs - Ramuh

were there any Hecatoncheir in the game? I don't remember seeing any.

Allard

Ul'Dah:
Amal'jaa - Ifrit
Hecatoncheir - ???

Limsa Lominsa -
Kobold - Titan

Gridania -
Ixal - Garuda
Sylphs - Ramuh

Although they are more attributed to Gridania due to their aggression, the Ixali are actually Coerthas Beastmen (Even more specifically they hail from the region north of Coerthas), their stronghold is in Central Coerthas. Sylphs are the only true Gridania beastmen, that and the Moogles (with their stupid king who refuses to drop my weapons :/ )

The other beastmen race not really showcased yet is the ice attribute beastmen which most think might be the recent resurgence of the gigas from FFXI since we know the Shiva based beast tribe is a 'giant' from the north. There was a 'live' event in 1.0 where a GM dressed up as a reporter and started asking people questions and mentioned giants to the north and their ice based primal (which we now know has to be Shiva). Since we know part of Mor Dhona and Coerthas are enshrouded in snow and ice now I'm sure that is where we will find more of those beastmen whatever they end up becoming.

Jinko

I am expecting Shiva to be Coerthas and Mor Dhona to be the dark based primals, Fenrir/Diablos etc.

I was hoping the gigas would look more like their FFXI counterparts, they do look similar but I think FFXI's version looked better.

ZiZ

Although they are more attributed to Gridania due to their aggression, the Ixali are actually Coerthas Beastmen (Even more specifically they hail from the region north of Coerthas), their stronghold is in Central Coerthas. Sylphs are the only true Gridania beastmen, that and the Moogles (with their stupid king who refuses to drop my weapons :/ )

The other beastmen race not really showcased yet is the ice attribute beastmen which most think might be the recent resurgence of the gigas from FFXI since we know the Shiva based beast tribe is a 'giant' from the north. There was a 'live' event in 1.0 where a GM dressed up as a reporter and started asking people questions and mentioned giants to the north and their ice based primal (which we now know has to be Shiva). Since we know part of Mor Dhona and Coerthas are enshrouded in snow and ice now I'm sure that is where we will find more of those beastmen whatever they end up becoming.

there were a couple of quests with normal giants. also, I remember coming across a cave with a bunch of them standing around.

Teknoman

Isnt Hecatoncheir a single boss much like Gilgamesh or Chupon?

I wonder if Goblin and Qiqirn have primals...probably not since they seem to be further from normal Beast tribe mentality than others. Then again the Sylph and Moogles do too... I could see them using the "minor" beast tribe primals as just a side challenge thing.

Jinko

Isnt Hecatoncheir a single boss much like Gilgamesh or Chupon?

I wonder if Goblin and Qiqirn have primals...probably not since they seem to be further from normal Beast tribe mentality than others. Then again the Sylph and Moogles do too... I could see them using the "minor" beast tribe primals as just a side challenge thing.

There are plenty of Summons to go round.

Ravidrath

I am expecting Shiva to be Coerthas and Mor Dhona to be the dark based primals, Fenrir/Diablos etc.

I was hoping the gigas would look more like their FFXI counterparts, they do look similar but I think FFXI's version looked better.

I haven't seen them in game, but I was pretty convinced they were using the same models, just with improved textures and normal maps. Are they not?

Teknoman

I haven't seen them in game, but I was pretty convinced they were using the same models, just with improved textures and normal maps. Are they not?

ibcTA847N7DUh4.png

ibyIF68sUZnuTm.png

iJYPpponGgX2a.png

Seems that way, much like the rest of the Vana'diel stuff. I think they look much better, especially with how detailed the animations (movement, breathing, attacks) are.

That Hecatoncheir art was something totally different from a Gigas.

chars.jpg

Caerith

iJYPpponGgX2a.png

Seems that way, much like the rest of the Vana'diel stuff. I think they look much better, especially with how detailed the animations (movement, breathing, attacks) are.

That Hecatoncheir art was something totally different from a Gigas.

chars.jpg
I'm pretty sure those pics are of the Hecatoncheir fought in Copperbell Mines. They're called Hecatoncheir in-game and the NPCs giving the quest called them that as well. Maybe Shiva will be fought beneath the desert?

Riposte

http://eu.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1069781/blog/18833/

It seems like the more I read about the combat system, the worse it gets. I already have a pretty low opinion on it. Feels incomplete.

I was also thinking how people call the combat system in ARR "FFXI meets WoW (or modern MMO)", but I feel like that's not really the case. I don't really recognize much FFXI in it. 1.23, with the new technical improvements found in ARR, would be more like "FFXI meets WoW". This is really easy to gauge by judging how weapon skills are treated. In FFXI they are rare, in ARR they are basically at the level of auto-attack, and in FFXIV 1.23 they are somewhere in between thanks to combos/TP being more important. I guess you could say I am in the camp which thinks they should have used 1.23 as a base. In my head, it seems to have the most potential by elegantly adding some new mechanics while retaining its own uniqueness.

EDIT: Did 1.23 and ARR have the same combat system designer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom