• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

First time playing in a year. Graphics seem to took a major downgrade. I hope it's just a beta thing though. I'm digging everything else so far, when I'm not getting huge lag spikes.

Gigarator

Got to the character creation screen, it didn't bother loading anything then it threw up an error and closed itself. Now I can't get past the launcher.

mRF77zO.jpg

Oh well, perseverance is key.

First time playing in a year. Graphics seem to took a major downgrade. I hope it's just a beta thing though. I'm digging everything else so far, when I'm not getting huge lag spikes.

I think the graphics have had a major upgrade.

It's nice that the beta have more activity than 1.0 the game had.

Forbiden

Got to the character creation screen, it didn't bother loading anything then it threw up an error and closed itself. Now I can't get past the launcher.

mRF77zO.jpg

Oh well, perseverance is key.

I'm not sure if it's related, but no one here has mentioned this. In the Beta forums they posted this:

[NA] All Worlds Server Restart (Feb. 25)
To conduct a further investigation on the issue where the account and the characters are not linked properly, we will be conducting a all Worlds server restart.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

[Date & Time]
February 25, 2013 from 8:50 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. (PST)

[Affected Services]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn beta test

Zios

Banned
I think the graphics have had a major upgrade.

It's nice that the beta have more activity than 1.0 the game had.

Well I would say character/monster models look good, however the foliage (grass, trees, bushes) looks extremely bad...worse than vanilla Skyrim. Not that I really care but I do hope they improve later down the road.

Textures might be worse, but lightning and level of detail of the world got a huge upgrade. Also is nice having more than 20 people on the screen without sttuterring.

Midou

Well I would say character/monster models look good, however the foliage (grass, trees, bushes) looks extremely bad...worse than vanilla Skyrim. Not that I really care but I do hope they improve later down the road.

Did you put it to max? I'd say textures are a lot better than vanilla Skyrim..

And yeah, models are defo much better.

Forbiden

Well that's not weird at all...I log in to my account, and the character I made last night in Tonberry is gone, and instead I have a small Lalafell with a weird name parked in Chocobo

Teknoman

Punks took away my my facial scar option ; ;

Hopefully you'll be able to just edit a few things on your original character, especially if certain character features (that were in alpha) are gone.

EDIT: Tonberry is still full? I guess that means its just a queue?

Punks took away my my facial scar option ; ;

Hopefully you'll be able to just edit a few things on your original character, especially if certain character features (that were in alpha) are gone.

Are these characters that we are making in Tonberry eligible to be our actual characters at launch?

Teknoman

Ignore it for now. Most FATE events aren't tuned for the amount of players there are at the moment. I don't think they were meant to be rushed by half the damn server.

lol I knew that was going to happen in the beta. I guess it'll be somewhatlike that after the head start launch?

Are these characters that we are making in Tonberry eligible to be our actual characters at launch?

Nope, not in this phase anyway.

Teknoman

DIdnt they say at one point that they *might* let us use our 1.0 characters in a later phase? They ever elaborate on that?

Yeah I think its in phase 3, they'll probably ask or detect a character via SE ID?

EDIT:Heh cant get past the title screen now with the world full message.

Stark

Banned

Really? the visuals are a major upgrade from what I saw of XIV 1.x and most MMO's.

lol first area outside of town is so freaking hectic. So many bodies moving around. Sucks I have to go to class now, otherwise I would be playing much of the day. Probably gonna re-roll multiple times to find a character that I want before I dig in any deeper. Can't believe I am finally playing this. Hoping there is a decent amount of content.

Comparing the UI in this to 1.0 is night and day. They really made things look and feel like they have real quality. Sucks I can't use controllers yet, but i'll get used to it.

Teknoman

TERA is completely F2P now and uses a really good nonrestrictive model similar to GW2. The cash shop is primarily cosmetics and convenience boosters. I updated the OT with all the new information:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471756

There doesn't seem to be many GAF members left on the GAF PVE guild side and the guild isn't very open to casual players and non-level 60s. They recently shifted the guild to a more hardcore focus. If you decide to give the game a shot, check out the GAF PVP guild at http://tera-believe.guildlaunch.com. The site is fairly new so not everyone is registered yet but we have picked up a lot of new members lately (GAF and non-GAF) and Mumble has been pretty active. I would say that about 60-70% of our current active players are actually GAF.

If you're not really into PVP you can always level on different channels but there is no guarantee you aren't going to get into any fights. If asked, we will save our lower level members or revenge kill for them. :)

Open world PVP and high level ganking isn't nearly as active as it used to be now that Battlegrounds exists. Just roll on Mount Tyrannas. Besides, even the GAF PVE guild on Tempest Reach will be involved in PVP often because they always run for Vanarch via Guild Vs Guild combat and there is a new update coming that will introduce Consul politics utilizing faction based PVP and that is what they are currently aiming for.

P.S. No offense to NeOak but I have played with some of the GAF PVE members in Battlegrounds (there is cross-server matching) and found some of them (non GAF) to be douchebags.

Is there a separate one that the old/current FFXIV guild uses or do we just use the public GAF Mumble server?

Nooooo... maybe we should pick an alternate? It sounds like everything is getting full so not sure what I'm going to do since I'm not going to be able to play this for another 8 hours or so. Stupid work.

I'll give that a shot then, probably inbetween beta phases, but on Tonberry, just keep trying. Probably have people that just logged in and are "holding" a space until whatever player gets back.

Allard

Was only able to get on briefly before the first server restart last night (was one of the few who got through the character creation window issue on Tonberry!

Since I had played a bunch in alpha my first instinct instead of doing quests was going exploring; I got to finally see the stuff behind the gates in North Shroud, pretty cool (and different I might add) little area. The place almost feels made for the new fall damage update heh. Also Gridania is VASTLY improved from Alpha visually thanks to the proper day and night cycle. My character's cut scene transpired right before dawn so it was dark outside, by the time I got done with the first quest that lets you out into the normal world the sun was rising and everything was either glowing warm or was dark and in the shade, really felt like a true forest city unlike Alpha when it was stuck at perpetual 11:00 in the day time and no clouds.

Teknoman

By the way, have they fixed the music loops yet? The overworld music used to just fade away after a few introductory notes.

EDIT: Maintenance time?

Well that's not weird at all...I log in to my account, and the character I made last night in Tonberry is gone, and instead I have a small Lalafell with a weird name parked in Chocobo

An issue they are trying to sort out. Logging in to seeing other people's characters.

If you log out and log in again it should fix it, or show you someone else's.

EDIT: Maintenance time?

They have been restarting the servers several times trying to fix the issue I just mentioned.

Forbiden

An issue they are trying to sort out. Logging in to seeing other people's characters.

If you log out and log in again it should fix it, or show you someone else's.

Yeah I know, it just felt really weird seeing someone else character on my account. It kinda sucks cause my character was deleted and I had already reached level 7 last night, oh well.

On another note, it seems they are doing maint. on the servers again :(

Yeah I know, it just felt really weird seeing someone else character on my account. It kinda sucks cause my character was deleted and I had already reached level 7 last night, oh well.

On another note, it seems they are doing maint. on the servers again :(

When it happened to me, after re logging my toon popped back up. Only one that I've had go completely missing was the one before the first downtime.

Its like impossible to play this game for longer than 10 minutes.

Had a good like 4-5 hours straight earlier while they were monitoring things to see what the problem was. Was amusing going everywhere in a big parade of lancers all dressed in the same red outfit.

I played for an hour earlier today before work.

Btw how far did rollback go? did they roll back everything?

Don't know yet. Servers should be back up in like 20 minutes according to the beta forums, and we will see then.

Teknoman

Maintenance again.

Tons of people in one spot should hinder performance I guess...but I'm using the same benchmark settings, and getting framerates between 20 and 60+ usually seems to hover between 25 and 30 near the main Aetheryte.

Anyway, my character got made and I passed the first tutorial quest, so add Teknoman Blade to your friend list!

EDIT: Maybe I shouldnt be using AMD's latest beta drivers?

Stark

Banned
Maintenance again.

Tons of people in one spot should hinder performance I guess...but I'm using the same benchmark settings, and getting framerates between 20 and 60+ usually seems to hover between 25 and 30 near the main Aetheryte.

Same for me. It seems a lot of things are unstable, but after this one it was running a little bit better. I guess it'll improve over time.

LowParry

I'm so glad they've made controls so modernized. But damn it takes some getting used to after so much play with TERA. Have to hold right click mouse to move the camera around rather than just moving the mouse itself. This is such a better beta and I'm really looking forward to putting some time in. Tonberry GAFs home then?

Edit: Conjure can heal right? (Healing has been my new thing lately with classes)

Atrophis

Game should tell you the servers are down before it lets you waste a load of time on the character creator :(

Cant believe I got in though. I never get this luck with betas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom