• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

Is there a list of players for the ''official'' GAF beta server which I think is Toonberry right?...if we kept our toons from last beta,the starting area will start to get a little less crowded now,would love to party up for some quests with others...

Riposte

Yeah I meant KB with no mouse. Sorry for the confusion.

I played 11 and 14 1.0 with controller and keyboard and may do that for ARR but most MMOs are best suited for kb/m now.

I too meant keyboard only. I played most of FFXI with just a keyboard. It worked perfectly fine. Like a controller, but better since I had way more hotkeys. If you don't need precise aiming, a keyboard is basically an oversized controller with multiple "dpads" instead of multiple sticks. More to the point, I don't understand why you would actually have a problem with people wanting to play like that.

Salaadin

I think Im going kb/m for ARR unless I comfy couch it, then Ill switch to a controller.

What the patch was for ..

Some nice changes there, especially the ones about scaling.

Edit:- This could be pretty interesting for NM's lol

I really need to start bringing my security token to work with me so I can view the forums at work.
If its not too much of a pain, can someone PM me the changes?

Is there a list of players for the ''official'' GAF beta server which I think is Toonberry right?...if we kept our toons from last beta,the starting area will start to get a little less crowded now,would love to party up for some quests with others...

Here.

Okay, assuming everybody keeps the same name, so far I've got:

Bastian Marr - Jarnet87

Ghostface Killah - Pinko Marx

Lee Ethereal - Talents

Claire Fading - PolishQ

Jovan Desi - Desi

Mance Rayder - Gromph

Teknoman Blade - Teknoman

Zhu Systrata - Me

Atrophis Masara - Atrophis

Mastamind Midgard - Mastamind

Riripo Ripo - Riposte

Layel Ali - Semaj

Miyara Dantes - DrForester

Dark Elf - CcrooK

Londa Gaf - notworksafe

Vel Kriez - Velocity

Jbird Nohagun - Jbird34

Mitos Dos - Ricker

Rinie Katsuragi - Forbiden

Kohaku Kodama - Ainaurdur

Will edit and add as I see them. [Updated 10:30 PM CST 2013/25/02]

Protocol7

Why are people linking beta forum threads (yes even if you need to be in the beta to have access to them) or other things? There's still an NDA since this isn't an open beta right?

Teknoman

If the lag isn't too bad we could try setting up a party to get to the dungeon run.

I didn't even bother Monday because I was waiting to hit a squirrel at the time.

lol definitely.

Why are people linking beta forum threads (yes even if you need to be in the beta to have access to them) or other things? There's still an NDA since this isn't an open beta right?

It is, but i'm not sure if beta forum links breaks it or not. But it's probably better safe than sorry.

And yeah, test doesnt start again till tomorrow night.

As for world wide communities, it would be nice if most people decided to stick with a mixed population. I might not be able to understand when people from other countries talk outside autotrans,but its just cool to see lots of different languages pop up in chat at random times during the day.

Jinko

I think Im going kb/m for ARR unless I comfy couch it, then Ill switch to a controller.

I really need to start bringing my security token to work with me so I can view the forums at work.
If its not too much of a pain, can someone PM me the changes?

That was basically it, a few icons not showing on the map properly, nothing major.

I'll be up for a dungeon or 2 or 3, and a XP/hunters log party would be cool as well.

I'll think about creating a new character in Tomberry if possible. But right now I'll stick with my current one, I'll barely have time to catch up if I change.

Ricker

I'll think about creating a new character in Tomberry if possible. But right now I'll stick with my current one, I'll barely have time to catch up if I change.

Yeah,I managed to make my character on Toonberry but never could play him,servers where always full..my main guy is on Bahamut,level 7 I think but hopefully they added servers or increased the numbers on the old ones so I will try and level my Toonberry guy this weekend,if no wipes occur of course...

DrDogg

I'll be Doctor Dogg whenever I get a chance to actually make a character.

Speaking of which, every time I try to play it tells me it's unavailable. Am I doing something wrong or is this to be expected during phase one?

Allard

I'll be Doctor Dogg whenever I get a chance to actually make a character.

Speaking of which, every time I try to play it tells me it's unavailable. Am I doing something wrong or is this to be expected during phase one?

Servers are down till this weekend.

NinjaJesus

I see I'm the only motherfucker corny enough to aim for an appropriate naming scheme.

Lol, I plan on changing my name to something more game appropriate once it launches. I just chose that as an easy beta name.

I'm hoping we get a chance to change our names along with the character re-roll.

It is, but i'm not sure if beta forum links breaks it or not. But it's probably better safe than sorry.

Well I think that you can only visit the beta forums if you have an account in the beta, but then there is the issue that even telling people you are in the beta breaks the NDA. Most of us here are guilty of that. Think people are banking on there being no way of SE telling who the account is behind our posts, or thinking that we are too little fish to really go after. Just don't post a screenshot with your name in it, and you are probably safe. Seen people do it elsewhere and people use it to report them to square.

Telling people that you're a legacy member for FF XIV 1.0 is fair game and it is public knowledge that legacy members were all given beta access.

I don't think telling people that you're in the beta would be a problem.. nor would linking to the forums, as they only provide access to people who are registered beta testers for ARR.

Copy and pasting post content, however, would certainly be a violation of the NDA.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really wish a lot of the people complaining about the current battle system would shut the fuck up for a bit til they get to play the expanded upon version of it.

That's like me bitching about 1.23's combat system at level 10 or so and complaining that I sat around doing nothing until I used 1 or 2 attacks once every minute or so.

ebil

I don't think telling people that you're in the beta would be a problem.. nor would linking to the forums, as they only provide access to people who are registered beta testers for ARR.
I know it's written somewhere that you're not supposed to tell that you're in the beta, but Foxclon and Yoshida said that was OK.
You shouldn't post screenshots, impressions, or information, but merely telling you're a tester won't get you banned.

(and honestly, they've got way bigger fishes to fry, I hear they're so busy with all the leaks they're not even responding to reports)

From the official forums about server transfer when the game launches.

Current Plans for World Transfers
We wanted to briefly discuss the current plans for selecting new worlds and world transfers for A Realm Reborn. Once the global data centers are set up for A Realm Reborn, we are planning the following for world transfers.
In the event that you don't complete the transfer procedure, you will be transferred to a pre-determined world.
In the event you complete the transfer procedure, you can select from a list of worlds you can move to and will be transferred to the world of your choice.

In order to eliminate any concerns about being transferred to a world you didn’t want to move to or being separated from your friends, we will be keeping the transfer procedure open for a long period of time as well as making various announcements to ensure that everyone is aware and can go where they like.

For Beta Test phase 3, fundamentally we are planning to allow anyone who possesses a Square Enix FINAL FANTASY XIV service account to participate in testing, so it will be possible to make contact with your friends from within the game.

We will be preparing thorough details regarding this whole process so that there is no confusion, and will be announcing them at a later date.

My apologies, but this is an indication that you absolutely must use the world transfer and failing to do so will randomize you into a world, so...

It means there is no option to 'do nothing to stay exactly where you are' correct?

Sorry, no this isn't correct. If you do absolutely nothing, you won't be placed in a random world. Everyone that was on that world, who also did not transfer, will be moved to the same place together.

However, just to reiterate, don't worry - we will announce the full details when they are all finalized. I know you're all anxious and we're keenly aware of it being a very important point for everyone!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...Plans-for-World-Transfers?p=977135#post977135

From the official forums about server transfer when the game launches.

There are still going to be "new" servers where legacy cannot transfer to right? Want to start in a fresh server where someone doesn't already have the means to take a strangle hold on the economy for at least a little while.

notworksafe

I too meant keyboard only. I played most of FFXI with just a keyboard. It worked perfectly fine. Like a controller, but better since I had way more hotkeys. If you don't need precise aiming, a keyboard is basically an oversized controller with multiple "dpads" instead of multiple sticks. More to the point, I don't understand why you would actually have a problem with people wanting to play like that.

Because this is a different game than XI and it has different needs as far as control methods. The needs of keyboard only players shouldn't really be considered if they are going to adversely affect players who use both kb and mouse, like every other PC game released in 2013. A mouse isn't required for combat, but it can easily be the most efficient way to do things in the UI if Square actually puts some thought into what they are doing.

There are still going to be "new" servers where legacy cannot transfer to right? Want to start in a fresh server where someone doesn't already have the means to take a strangle hold on the economy for at least a little while.

Yes there will be servers where you can only start fresh for a period of time, it will open up for everyone at some point later on.

Jinko

TBH its not going to matter, plus I reckon being part of the GAF community would benefit you more, we have a lot of high level crafters etc.

Xux

People probably would've used the mouse in FFXI if it was close to a hardware mouse. Is it even possible for it to adversely effect KB and mouse players like that at this point, though? The mouse controls are perfectly fine in the Beta. All keyboard only would need is the option to use the gamepad's main menu...can you even access a main menu like that in the Beta now? I guess I'll have to search for it in 16 hours.

Jinko

People probably would've used the mouse in FFXI if it was close to a hardware mouse. Is it even possible for it to adversely effect KB and mouse players like that at this point, though? The mouse controls are perfectly fine in the Beta. All keyboard only would need is the option to use the gamepad's main menu...can you even access a main menu like that in the Beta now? I guess I'll have to search for it in 16 hours.

I guess it comes down to whether they have time to implement it, people on the beta forum seem to think its simply a matter of adding a second option for everything, at that rate the game won't be out til 2014.

As someone else said on there the only other MMO out there to have keyboard only was FF11 and it was added to FFXIV 1.0 because they expected a lot of FF11 players to come across.... plus Tanaka.

Xux

I guess it comes down to whether they have time to implement it, people on the beta forum seem to think its simply a matter of adding a second option for everything, at that rate the game won't be out til 2014.

As someone else said on there the only other MMO out there to have keyboard only was FF11 and it was added to FFXIV 1.0 because they expected a lot of FF11 players to come across.... plus Tanaka.
But what is it that they need to implement? Everything's there except the ability to access the mini-menu options outside of hotkeys and I'm guessing that'll come in phase 2 when they add a main menu and maybe more list-based menus and being able to navigate menus without a mouse.

TBH its not going to matter, plus I reckon being part of the GAF community would benefit you more, we have a lot of high level crafters etc.

It maters to me. I am not looking for handouts or to be power leveled though the game, and would rather a high amount of people my level to play with. How easy it is for people with already leveled gathering and crafting skills to keep a choke on a brand new economy is another concern for a new player. So as much as I would like to play with an already established group of friends, I want more to not have to deal with legacy players.

That being said it more depends on the server locations, as I think I would be stuck if the only servers located close to the east coast ended up being legacy.

Jinko

It maters to me. I am not looking for handouts or to be power leveled though the game, and would rather a high amount of people my level to play with. How easy it is for people with already leveled gathering and crafting skills to keep a choke on a brand new economy is another concern for a new player. So as much as I would like to play with an already established group of friends, I want more to not have to deal with legacy players.

That being said it more depends on the server locations, as I think I would be stuck if the only servers located close to the east coast ended up being legacy.

I would say a Legacy server would have a more stable economy due to competition.
On a new server you will have a handful of gatherers and crafters who will race to cap and have a stranglehold on the economy, where as on a Legacy server everyone will be competing, bring prices down.

Granted if you plan to be seller/crafter/gather then a new server would be the better choice, but as a buyer a Legacy server will be better.

I would say a Legacy server would have a more stable economy due to competition.
On a new server you will have a handful of gatherers and crafters who will race to cap and have a stranglehold on the economy, where as on a Legacy server everyone will be competing, bring prices down.

Yes they do have a more stable economy. The stability isn't the problem, its that it is already balanced in favor of the established players. Think of it this way. Someone wants to level a gathering or craft gear to make money to fund further leveling. The gathered mats would not sell for the same as on a legacy server, since there are less people leveling though that range that need them, nor would the gear made have as much demand. The prices of the gear and materials would also be driven down by the ease that higher leveled players can already make/gather them at. Thus the crafts mater less until max level, where a set of players already have the system down pat and a hold on the market. While on a new server there will be more people out there leveling though the same content, needing the same things. There are not high levels that can craft with ease the stuff that it would take a new player more effort to craft or gather.

What do you think is the better option for players that don't want to need to accept handouts or be the benefit of just knowing the right people?

Or something.

Teknoman

Arent they taking away a huge chunk of our gil, changing recipes, and items?

I was more of a fighter/gatherer, but still would like to know. Also you would think that higher levels would at least try to foster a somewhat fair set of prices from the start, knowing they may have the power to make or break things early on.

I was more of a fighter/gatherer, but still would like to know. Also you would think that higher levels would at least try to foster a somewhat fair set of prices from the start, knowing they may have the power to make or break things early on.

They're going to leave you with 1/10 of the amount of gil that you had before.

Here's the full thing from the lodestone -

Lodestone said:
Changes to the Monetary System
Upon the release of FFXIV: ARR, we will be removing one zero from all gil prices, in a process known as Currency Redenomination.

1. All NPC vendor buying/selling prices will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
2. All quest rewards, monster drops, and in-game monetary rewards will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
3. All repair costs, airship fares, and other in-game service fees will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
4. Because of changes to game systems, the prices of existing items will change to varying degrees.
5. The maximum amount of gil that a player can possess will not change from 999,999,999.
6. The amount of gil required to obtain certain achievements will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.
7. All gil currently held by players will be reduced to 1/10 of current values.

Example: A player carrying 100,000 gil will only possess 10,000 gil upon release of FFXIV: ARR. However, a chocobo rental fee of 800 gil will be reduced to 80 gil, and an NPC previously selling an item for 1,500 gil will sell the same item for 150 gil. The effective purchasing power of your savings will not change.

Due to rebalancing, the price of some items, rewards and services may not be reduced to exactly 1/10 of their current values. The above should only be considered general guidelines for the changes.

Gil is being divided by 10 iirc. But that is because all costs and pricing of things are having the same thing done. So even though you will have a smaller number, it is still worth the same amount.

Edit: Ninja beaten

As for high levels setting fair prices just for the sake of good will, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Some may try and really be nice people, but my experience with mmorpgs is that you can't count on that to be the norm.

As for high levels setting fair prices just for the sake of good will, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Some may try and really be nice people, but my experience with mmorpgs is that you can't count on that to be the norm.

Genuine question: Do any modern MMOs just simply have good communities nowadays? I've not played too much outside of XI and XIV (at least high-level in-depthwise)
but my experience has typically been a bad one. For the first few years of XI, people were pretty awesome, but that was also before Internet information clusters started forming (specifically tailored guides and whatnot), so people were pretty much forced to help one another.

XIV just turned into XI-lite towards the end of 1.0. For all the things that the sub fee will keep out, there's still something to be said about what it keeps in.

Vashetti

Banned
Hey guys!

Never played FFXIV (played a bit of FFXI) and I'm really looking forward to the PS3 version.

Has Square announced any dates?

Is there any sign as to what the trophies will be like?

I hope they don't turn out like the 360 achievements for XI where you have to max level every class...

Hey guys!

Never played FFXIV (played a bit of FFXI) and I'm really looking forward to the PS3 version.

Has Square announced any dates?

Is there any sign as to what the trophies will be like?

I hope they don't turn out like the 360 achievements for XI where you have to max level every class...

No date yet but Yoshida said summer.

No info on trophies yet other than that there will be trophies.

Jinko

Genuine question: Do any modern MMOs just simply have good communities nowadays? I've not played too much outside of XI and XIV (at least high-level in-depthwise)
but my experience has typically been a bad one. For the first few years of XI, people were pretty awesome, but that was also before Internet information clusters started forming (specifically tailored guides and whatnot), so people were pretty much forced to help one another.

XIV just turned into XI-lite towards the end of 1.0. For all the things that the sub fee will keep out, there's still something to be said about what it keeps in.

I don't think 11 had a good community, it was good as long as you didn't bump into any elistist pricks, but they were everywhere, in games like WoW you are more likely to just bump into pricks and they aren't nearly as bad IMO.

Overall? No. They are a reflection of real life. Be happy if you find a group of people that do not cause you to want to kill yourself just being around them. Which I guess is a good argument for me just saying fuck it and joining whatever server gaf does.

XI required partying to do anything so fucktards got filtered, but it wasn't perfect. The game wasn't hard, it just required the help of others. So people that were willing to suck up got ahead just as easy, as well as jerks that had help. Most of the LSes I was ever affiliated with had a close circle of people at the top that were really unpleasant people and then a lower circle of others who always backed them. Just saying that the game wasn't free of it's community issues. For WoW, even if you did bump into jerks it didn't mater as much since you didn't really have to care. The game systems were more designed to not to rely so much on the kindness of others. There was also a much bigger world with a lot more people at the top. Still that was more at the beginning of it's run as well.

I have had a lot of experience with playing games that did and didn't have sub fees, and I still much prefer ones with subs. Not only for keeping out a large amount of people that may be undesirables, but for customer survive and game development reasons. If a game wants to keep a sub fee they rely on keeping the people that currently play happy. It is where they get their money. Cash shop games don't need to worry so much about that when there is a constant influx of people willing to pay for in game items that they don't have to pay so much for a customer support team to manage. For example, get hacked in WoW, and your items would be restored within days. Same thing in a F2P Korean game and you would be lucky if they offered a small amount of their cash shop currency.

So short answer? No. You have to find your own community within the game to find something of value, and then never trust anyone else to do anything but disappoint. Why relying on the high levels to self regulate how much money they think they should be making is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom