• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Yes and yes for the first 2. The building is an inn with nice pictures on the walls. I totally love that place, especially during the night... It seems truly an old FF town in 3D.

Oh another nice touch, you can now sit on every chair in the pubs, buildings, etc.
Ooh, nice! :D

Did anyone see was Medica does? Also, I wonder what White Mage will get in place of Esuna.

N.A

Banned
Don't really understand the spam complaint. At level 10 on Archer I have Auto-attack, A high damage skill, a skill with a chance blind, a skill with a chance to poison, a skill to raise accuracy and a skill to raise damage.

Seems just the right amount of variety for only a few hours into the combat. And i'm sure combos will start unlocking soon.

At lvl 10 in 1.0 there were 3 attacks, a skill that had a chance to inflict heavy and decoy that was pretty much useless at this point in the game.

I do think they should bring the combo system in earlier though.

Don't really understand the spam complaint. At level 10 on Archer I have Auto-attack, A high damage skill, a skill with a chance blind, a skill with a chance to poison, a skill to raise accuracy and a skill to raise damage.

Seems just the right amount of variety for only a few hours into the combat. And i'm sure combos will start unlocking soon.

At lvl 10 in 1.0 there were 3 attacks, a skill that had a chance to inflict heavy and decoy that was pretty much useless at this point in the game.

It seems to be a lot of the old guard liking the 1.23 way more. And since the beta forum is filled with old guard, they are the ones most visible in their complaints.

Not saying the complaints on the new system aren't baseless, it has it's problems. Like how bad the TP system seems to be working, as there is no real need to manage it yet except for boss fights, and no point of autoattack. I do much prefer things that way then every combat taking a minute waiting for autoatacks to fill the TP gauge though.

Margalis

Banned
Even in 1.0 I thought TP built too fast.

In FFXI many classes had skills on very long cool-downs, so if you didn't have TP there often wasn't much you could do other than just auto. In XIV there are more skills you can use on lower cool-downs so you already have stuff to do outside of auto-attacking. TP moves are supposed to feel more like super moves than special moves. In 1.0 I felt like I had TP as often as I wanted it.

There should be a happy medium between autoing for a minute without doing anything waiting for TP or a 5-minute cool-down and spamming abilities and TP moves as fast as possible.

Edit: I'm also not a fan of busy work in MMOs. In some games you just do your skill rotation over and over, which is more work than sitting there eating a sandwich but not actually more rewarding.

I think in XI the rate of TP gain was fine, the issue there was that many classes had very few other things they could do while waiting for TP. Most classes really.

Xux

I like the combat. Well, I liked the Alpha's and the Beta seems the same with different TP values and GCD. I like the lower emphasis on auto-attack and the "normal"-ness of WSs. I also really like how most of it is more than just damage. It'd be cool if they lowered the normal, aggroed TP regeneration and made auto-attack regenerate some, though. And I'd make it so you can walk but not run while casting magic and if the interruption rate was lower than the alpha; at least, make it so monster auto-attacks don't interrupt.

ebil

Ooh, nice! :D

Did anyone see was Medica does? Also, I wonder what White Mage will get in place of Esuna.
It's an AoE Cure centered on yourself, pretty much Curaga from the Alpha. I wonder if jobs will be getting the ~ra and ~ga lines of spells now, considering they renamed both ~ra/~ga spells for no immediately apparent reason.

Xux

It's an AoE Cure centered on yourself, pretty much Curaga from the Alpha. I wonder if jobs will be getting the ~ra and ~ga lines of spells now, considering they renamed both ~ra/~ga spells for no immediately apparent reason.
Oh okay. Thanks!

They're probably afraid of people getting confused about the name in relation to the naming conventions in the other FF games...or some patronizing developer reasoning like that that the Lodestone and Beta forums try really hard to prove that they need. Or they didn't want to use the FFXI names but wanted to have the single target and AoE separate still.

Jinko

I'm I the only one who enjoys ARR battle more than I enjoyed 1.0 battle?

I prefer it also, well I don't think its that great on CNJ but then I'm not sure what I am expecting :p

Agree I thought Archer was really fun to play, I think a lot of the people who complain are purposefully being lazy and spamming the same skill though, it's almost like some people require a set rule set otherwise they instantly go the path of least resistance.

Conveniently many of them forget you had to spam 1 1 1 1 to build TP in 1.0 on archer.

Also I can see them removing auto attack again, mark my words lol.

Even in 1.0 I thought TP built too fast.

In FFXI many classes had skills on very long cool-downs, so if you didn't have TP there often wasn't much you could do other than just auto. In XIV there are more skills you can use on lower cool-downs so you already have stuff to do outside of auto-attacking. TP moves are supposed to feel more like super moves than special moves. In 1.0 I felt like I had TP as often as I wanted it.

The landscape of mmorpgs have changed, and waiting around relying on all auto attacks doesn't have the same feel to it anymore. The cool downs were a bit too long for just about everything in FFXI, and I do agree with you about how alot of classes had nothing to do but wait.

Don't think TP moves are really the super moves anymore, or rather people are more use to having a more interactive roll in combat then not using them often. Job abilities with their cool downs seem more like the super moves this time around, and I'm fine with that. Dragoon's have their jumps and Black Mages have their ancient magic to give the classes some fast activated ability that has a little uniqueness to them.

ZiZ

it would be nice to have one of the classes focus on auto attack. with most of the WSs as auto attack support.

ebil

If anything, Barrage now has an effect on auto-attacks specifically, for a set amount of time. I doubt they'll remain completely useless at higher levels.

The Massively/Joystiq's preview (from a FF14 player) mentioned that you somehow had to be careful about unloading all your TP at higher levels (look for the "combat in higher levels" section).

I mentioned before that the slower, non-standard cooldown doesn't really slow down combat that much, and part of the reason is that combat is fast. In single-target battles, you can unload a lot with your TP starting at max, but you do need to be somewhat careful lest you run out when you'll need it. Skills hit hard enough that while you won't be spamming one ability repeatedly, hitting it once or twice in the course of a battle has the same net effect. You wind up with the same sense of making a calculated choice rather than hammering on buttons, but the fights feel faster and more responsive.

Salaadin

Is the battle spam still an issue at higher levels? I was hoping for a FFXI-like (hate drawing that comparison but its the only MMO I know) difficulty increase as you leveled. Obviously not that extreme but I assumed that enemy HP pools would grow, battles would last longer, and TP would have to be conserved better to last an entire fight.

ebil

Is the battle spam still an issue at higher levels? I was hoping for a FFXI-like (hate drawing that comparison but its the only MMO I know) difficulty increase as you leveled. Obviously not that extreme but I assumed that enemy HP pools would grow, battles would last longer, and TP would have to be conserved better to last an entire fight.
We obviously don't know yet, but you should read the preview I linked in my previous post (it's 3 posts above this one), as it's the best hands-on from a FFXIV player standpoint I've read so far.

Jinko

I suspect that at end game a DD who is TP happy will be dead on the floor.

Will be no different than a Lancer/BLM pulling Ifrit from the tank.

Jarnet87

This is the first beta I can honestly say that I want to get as far as possible. Usually when I get into a beta I just like to see how it plays and get a couple hours for an impression and then stop so I don't get tired of the game. But with ARR I really want to try and advance as much as possible to see how the game grows during mid and high levels.

For those who played 1.2 and on, how easy/hard were the job quests? I remember hearing in FFXI the level 30 job quests were a PITA. Also are there plans to implement more jobs?

For those who played 1.2 and on, how easy/hard were the job quests? I remember hearing in FFXI the level 30 job quests were a PITA. Also are there plans to implement more jobs?

Yes there are plans to put more jobs, in fact we'll get Summoner at launch.

And jobs unlock quests are definetly more easier than XI. You won't be able to do them alone (that is unless you're overleveled, let's say lvl 40 for a lvl 30 job quest). But if you go with someone high level of a light party you'll be fine. Subsequential job quests (AF armor and jobs skills) required more people and the last one a full level 50 party. None of them are very hard and they might require a few tries at most.

If anything, Barrage now has an effect on auto-attacks specifically, for a set amount of time. I doubt they'll remain completely useless at higher levels.

The Massively/Joystiq's preview (from a FF14 player) mentioned that you somehow had to be careful about unloading all your TP at higher levels (look for the "combat in higher levels" section).

I think is clearly that they want you to easily deal with grunts and low level enemies, but longer fights will require TP/MP management.

Everything in FFXI could be seen as a PITA. The advanced job quests varied in difficulty though. Some you could solo, like DRK iirc, while others required help or overleveling.

Riposte

I really wish MMOs didn't resign themselves to having combat suck until high levels (which is made worse by gear advancement becoming the focus of the game). Party combat tends to improve everything, but they rarely enforce that (thus ultimately discourage it). Unfortunately I don't foresee lower level raids and story quests being a source of entertainment if most people are going cheese them (leaving me to ask internet strangers "Can you please suck for awhile so I can entertained?").

N.A

Banned
I really wish MMOs didn't resign themselves to having combat suck until high levels (which is made worse by gear advancement becoming the focus of the game). Party combat tends to improve everything, but they rarely enforce that (thus ultimately discourage it). Unfortunately I don't foresee lower level raids and story quests being a source of entertainment if most people are going cheese them (leaving me to ask internet strangers "Can you please suck for awhile so I can entertained?").

Level sync has been announced and will be implemented during beta.

Teknoman

I think people are just spamming attacks without paying attention to attacks. I've seen lancers use skills that were part of combo attacks in the reverse order, so you know they arent paying attention.

EDIT: TP will definitely count in longer battles. We would have seen that if FATE NMs werent being beat down by hundreds of people at the same time lol. Even then, some took a decent amount of time to kill.

I think people are just spamming attacks without paying attention to attacks. I've seen lancers use skills that were part of combo attacks in the reverse order, so you know they arent paying attention.

To be fair, when I first got vorpal thrust, I kept trying to use it and the other skill (true thrust?) in the wrong order because I didn't understand the wording on how the combo worked. Of course since I actually watch how much damage things do I realized fast that I was doing it wrong.

EDIT: TP will definitely count in longer battles. We would have seen that if FATE NMs werent being beat down by hundreds of people at the same time lol. Even then, some took a decent amount of time to kill.

To see the main resource only used for boss battles seems like a waste of a system though.

Teknoman

They could stand to make combo actions clearer. Think i'll post about that when I get back, unless someone beats me to it.

As for only during boss battles, it wont be like that, but I doubt we'll see good TP management display at such low levels, especially against enemies that arent that chunky/dont really need debuffs to take down.

I dont think the massive lag helped in seeing how well combat could work either, so I think we'll be able to really test combat mechanics in the next schedule, if they've fixed the fate problem.

As for only during boss battles, it wont be like that, but I doubt we'll see good TP management display at such low levels, especially against enemies that arent that chunky/dont really need debuffs to take down.

I've thought of that too, but it is something that is hard to use as an argument on the beta forums without being met with sarcasm and being called some sort of defense force. Game was tested for a day, and right before it the GCD was reduced by .5 already. Guess square brought it on themselves with how little they listened to the last beta feedback though. Makes everyone real skeptical about waiting for change or hoping things turn out better later, even if the current dev team has shown they are there to change things up.

I really need to play with the battle system more apparently...

All I really did Monday was explore and play around with story and quests (and my graphics settings).

Did kind of take the wind out of my sails getting kicked off for maintenance every half-hour though. :(

Teknoman

I've thought of that too, but it is something that is hard to use as an argument on the beta forums without being met with sarcasm and being called some sort of defense force. Game was tested for a day, and right before it the GCD was reduced by .5 already. Guess square brought it on themselves with how little they listened to the last beta feedback though. Makes everyone real skeptical about waiting for change or hoping things turn out better later, even if the current dev team has shown they are there to change things up.

I cant lie, even though I toughed it out along with the rest of the 1.0 people from alpha on to this point, i'm skeptical as well...but i've got a fair amount of optimism after seeing what they did with what 1.0 left them with (prior to us getting into 2.0 alpha / dalamud).

Devs have been saying to wait until further test when battle options (more classes/jobs and skills) opens up. In interviews and all.

Is normal to be upset and have doubts, but more complaints are on a very fundamental level very simple:"Is not like 1.0". Or are incredible shortsighted:"Is just WS spamming" when we just saw 10-15 lvl play.

And what's more, complainst are filled with void words like "generic", "mainstream", "bland", etc... with no reasonings behind.

Ixian

Will we be able to level sync to specific players like in FFXI? From the interviews I've read, level syncing appears to be tied to the FATE system.

Jinko

To see the main resource only used for boss battles seems like a waste of a system though.

When I was in Alpha I was using my TP and skills on level 15 leves, granted it was the same rotation over and over, I think once you get to around 15+ the battle system has a bit more depth.

Yea I am a little concerned, they haven't seemed to implement much of the feedback or given any information on their plans right across the board, obviously some stuff like the armoury board will take a while but even if they have a plan for the battle system it would be better to get that out there so people know its coming.

Also Yoshida Interview explaining his intentions of the battle system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at44LK3vGEw&feature=player_detailpage#t=580s

N.A

Banned
Will we be able to level sync to specific players like in FFXI? From the interviews I've read, level syncing appears to be tied to the FATE system.

You can level sync to specific content I believe such as dungeons or FATE's. Not sure if there is actual open world level sync though.

The impression that I've gotten is that they intend for it to be simple and easy to understand until people start getting into the mid to upper levels and doing group-oriented content.

The only thing I remember Yoshi-P saying about it was from the alpha forums he said that the complexity they are looking for will be there at lv 50 and not to worry about things now.

Maybe he's expecting them to judge things when they import their lv 50 characters in phase 3 and test the limit break system and new stats system.

PolishQ

Level Sync is the ability to lock your level to match content/players below you. Some things force it to do certain events so that you can't just bring a max level person and power though it.

Ah, so you temporarily lower your own level to match another player's (or a dungeon's or whatever). I was thinking it was more like you can only see other players in the world that are close to your own level, which would be interesting.

Jijidasu

Well if you look at it this way, you definitely need to consider calculating your TP at higher levels. Even in A there are countless stories of people fighting harder things and going hell bent on using weapon skills until they had 0 TP left. Then they're left to wait until 120 recharges to use another.

Currently that kind of battle range is extremely limited given only a handful of people got to Lv.20 max on day one.

Edit: Has there been any news on the restructured Hamlet?

Ah, so you temporarily lower your own level to match another player's (or a dungeon's or whatever). I was thinking it was more like you can only see other players in the world that are close to your own level, which would be interesting.

In FFXI that is how the functionality worked, but we aren't certain how it will be implemented here.

I got a chuckle out of the opening post, and then again at the designed for mac client post.

Jijidasu

I really dislike using mouse and keyboard for FFXIV. It's a personal thing but it feels like it's more like other MMO's when I'm using a keyboard and mouse, I suppose it's also because it's a FF title and I've only ever used controllers for it.

I agree that it was slower in 1.0 but it never stopped me doing anything. Looks to be much faster in ARR.

Lucis

I would hate to have to switch back to kb to put down controller to type something ;/
I played ff11 for 3 and half years (since 2002) with kb when almost everyone back then used controller only (THOSE JPs!). I swear kb is way better even for that game.

Jinko

Its all about what you are used to, of course its fair to say that the majority of people play using keyboard and mouse on PC and controller on console :D

I think keyboard only players are up a creek without a paddle.

Lucis

Its all about what you are used to, of course its fair to say that the majority of people play using keyboard and mouse on PC and controller on console :D

I think keyboard only players are up a creek without a paddle.

O KB only as in no mouse?
lol i guess that can work... that's how 11 was, but I don't think that's a good idea for 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom