• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Phase 2 sounds kinda boring like it's just gonna be Phase 1 with Grand Compan...y, Personal Chocobos, and Gamepad Controls. Unless that means the Grand Company Quests have a Ramuh fight or "Other" is something cool, I dunno how much time I'm gonna have the urge to dump in a temporary character besides to actually test stuff they want tested.

LowParry

I definitely would like to test out on the gamepad. I'm looking forward to that actually. It worked alright with TERA.

Teknoman

Got Gladiator, and think i'll be able to mess around with the dungeon in the next test scheduled.

Stefan™;48892908 said:
Can everyone acquire vanity pets in beta phase or are they restricted to Legacy players?

Everyone should be able to...for a price.

Ravidrath

Played around with this for a few hours, and had a good time.

I really don't get the complaints about the combat and comparisons to 1.23 - at low levels there wasn't exactly a lot of depth to combat, because you still only had a few abilities and auto-attack. This is just that, but faster.

Ravidrath

BTW, am I the only one that misses in XI how when you'd engage a mob, the camera would zoom in and move a little to the side?

I felt it made battles a lot more exciting because you could actually see the mob and your attacks without wrestling with the camera.

BTW, am I the only one that misses in XI how when you'd engage a mob, the camera would zoom in and move a little to the side?

I felt it made battles a lot more exciting because you could actually see the mob and your attacks without wrestling with the camera.

There is a button that engages that I think. The * on your numpad. Honestly, while cinematic, I think things like that made you feel less that you were the character you were playing as, and more just some guy controlling it, if that makes any sense. And unless you are a mouse skill clicker, the only thing the mouse should be doing is camera control anyway so I don't know how much wrestling you have to do.

Will you guys level up characters four times?

I thought that each beta phase would put out a new area and that area's classes, but after taking another look at the road map, it seems that both Limsa and Ul'Dah are coming in phase 3. Means any of the classes that they added would be like the Glad currently is until those cities are implemented.

Anyway, I was able to get to 25 (20-25 skipped) with one job and over 10 with 2 others (one was glad so that is cheating), as well as doing a bunch of crafting stuff all in just this test period so I don't think it will be that bad. Also anyone else surprised at how long the entry level dungeon was? Did it a couple of times with a JP party and even without much talking we just beat the 60 minute timer one of the times by 5 minutes.

burgerdog

Also anyone else surprised at how long the entry level dungeon was? Did it a couple of times with a JP party and even without much talking we just beat the 60 minute timer one of the times by 5 minutes.

First time it took us 55 mins, second and third time it only took us 30 mins.

First time it took us 55 mins, second and third time it only took us 30 mins.

Think they were going after all the chests every time. All the last ones had items in them, so don't know if it would be worth it to just get the later ones, but I didn't really question them. Just followed their lead since I was the only English speaker and was my first time though.

I'm going to hate to see how parties like that are treated when either side has players that don't know how to do things, like attack only the tanks target, without needing to be told.

Jinko

Phase 2 sounds kinda boring like it's just gonna be Phase 1 with Grand Compan...y, Personal Chocobos, and Gamepad Controls. Unless that means the Grand Company Quests have a Ramuh fight or "Other" is something cool, I dunno how much time I'm gonna have the urge to dump in a temporary character besides to actually test stuff they want tested.

Hopefully they have some good company quests, I duno how far you got but the last main mission was quite good, story looked like it was starting to really kick in.

Anyway, I was able to get to 25 (20-25 skipped) with one job and over 10 with 2 others (one was glad so that is cheating), as well as doing a bunch of crafting stuff all in just this test period so I don't think it will be that bad. Also anyone else surprised at how long the entry level dungeon was? Did it a couple of times with a JP party and even without much talking we just beat the 60 minute timer one of the times by 5 minutes.

You got to 25 and didn't try Thousand Maws of Totorak ? was hoping to hear what that was like.

I actually like Gladiator now, its so much better with the GCD set up, hope they have leves fixed for next test, think I'll main Gladiator and aim for Haukke Manor before the phase is over.

ebil

I absolutely love the changes to GLA so far. Much needed changes.

Am I the only one?
I absolutely love the way GLA plays now. Gameplay's very dynamic and at level 25 you've got quite a few options opening up in terms of actions, TP and MP management. It doesn't feel like "mindless spamming" at all unless you're doing something wrong to be honest. Pretty nice learning curve, too!
Think they were going after all the chests every time. All the last ones had items in them, so don't know if it would be worth it to just get the later ones, but I didn't really question them. Just followed their lead since I was the only English speaker and was my first time though.

I'm going to hate to see how parties like that are treated when either side has players that don't know how to do things, like attack only the tanks target, without needing to be told.
First run at level 15 took us 50+ minutes with a few deaths (our CNJ was still learning hate management). Subsequent runs (lv16~18) took us about 20-25 minutes going for all chests (but not clearing empty rooms). Wouldn't be too hard to get down to under 15 minutes skipping most of the content apart from item chests I think.

From what I've played (and from a tank perspective), I don't see myself playing without voice chat at higher levels, gameplay's way too busy to stop and give instructions on the fly.

You got to 25 and didn't try Thousand Maws of Totorak ? was hoping to hear what that was like.

Was getting tired and wanted to test out some of the crafting/gathering stuff. Also since I am just doing it solo didn't want to wait by the entrance hoping someone needed a lancer. Got lucky with my Tam Tara group and didn't think it would happen again.

First run at level 15 took us 50+ minutes with a few deaths (our CNJ was still learning hate management). Subsequent runs (lv16~18) took us about 20-25 minutes going for all chests (but not clearing empty rooms). Wouldn't be too hard to get down to under 15 minutes skipping most of the content apart from item chests I think.

From what I've played (and from a tank perspective), I don't see myself playing without voice chat at higher levels, gameplay's way too busy to stop and give instructions on the fly.

Only did it at 16-17 with people of the same level, but only wiped once to the demon before the last boss on the 55 minute run. I'm sure it would have went faster if we skipped rooms and were higher up. For your last sentence, I sadly agree. While some players may be fine and able to follow others lead and know basic logic behind an encounter without doing it before (like on the last boss, seeing him go immune when something else appeared means kill that something else), that isn't the case for the general public. And with timers and the like, people will get too mad at others not knowing how to go about their business.

I absolutely love the way GLA plays now. Gameplay's very dynamic and at level 25 you've got quite a few options opening up in terms of actions, TP and MP management. It doesn't feel like "mindless spamming" at all unless you're doing something wrong to be honest. Pretty nice learning curve, too!

Same for lancer. Figured the other classes must be set up really bad for all the complaining about spaming the same thing. Looking at the skills to 35, lancers have 2 different multi skill combos each with a reason and condition behind their use, as well as several timed buffs and modifiers to boost chosen skills on the fly. Oh yeah, and a needed range attack.

The only thing that has really bothered me about combat is how much easier a time range has on any mob that is moving. Even if the thing is running though my character while I hit a skill it never seems to actually connect. This is an issue with latency, but not one that will just go away.

Z3M0G

So is Phase 1 over? Or is there another round this upcoming weekend?

When does Phase 2 happen? I really want to try with controller.

Jinko

Phase one is 2-4 weeks, we got part 3 next weekend, so maybe that will be the last of phase one.

88064046.jpg

Salaadin

Im still not sure if I like the mob free for all in this game. Seeing a mob pop and then immediately get decimated by 15 people feels so wrong to me.

NinjaJesus

Exactly, I love it. Ran TTD 4-5 times enjoying every second of it.

I'm really excited to see what they did to MNK now. Hopefully it's changes are on par with GLA's.

Yea I was getting pretty annoyed during the hunting log for skeletons in Tam Tara entrance, they definitely need either more mobs or more places they can spawn.

Haha, yeah, getting some of those mobs was a giant pain. Especially when ppl try to dick you out of a claim not knowing it's shared and you'll get credit regardless.

Jinko

Im still not sure if I like the mob free for all in this game. Seeing a mob pop and then immediately get decimated by 15 people feels so wrong to me.

Yea I was getting pretty annoyed during the hunting log for skeletons in Tam Tara entrance, they definitely need either more mobs or more places they can spawn.

Salaadin

Agreed.

The mobs spawn quickly so thats nice but its pretty annoying when youre at a spawn with 4 diremites and 20 other people camping them for logs, quests, etc. They all pop at once and then they all die at once. Out of the 4 pops, youre going to get credit for 1...maybe 2 and then you have to wait for the next set of pops. It doesnt really feel all that fast.

Did they say why they did it this way? I was told it was done to encourage people to work together but I dont feel like thats happening at all.

Ricker

Agreed.

The mobs spawn quickly so thats nice but its pretty annoying when youre at a spawn with 4 diremites and 20 other people camping them for logs, quests, etc. They all pop at once and then they all die at once. Out of the 4 pops, youre going to get credit for 1...maybe 2 and then you have to wait for the next set of pops. It doesnt really feel all that fast.

Did they say why they did it this way? I was told it was done to encourage people to work together but I dont feel like thats happening at all.

But then when the starter area's are almost empty and just the newcomers go in there,if there is too many mobs,it will be the opposite,although most mobs in those area's don't aggro...The worst for me was the Ixal's,since you need 2 of each,Slowbeak,Illusion...etc.

It's hard to strike a balance...

And I dont know about controller support...I will try it but this is not the Tera gameplay,that works well with a controller,a traditional MMO like this,not as much but I will give it a shot with the 360 controller.

Salaadin

But then when the starter area's are almost empty and just the newcomers go in there,if there is too many mobs,it will be the opposite,although most mobs in those area's don't aggro...The worst for me was the Ixal's,since you need 2 of each,Slowbeak,Illusion...etc.

It's hard to strike a balance...

Thats very true too.

Maybe its hard to judge right now since we are all crammed into one area. Once the other 3 cities are there, things might even out. But then there might be even more people playing so maybe not. I just dont know!! :p

Thats very true too.

Maybe its hard to judge right now since we are all crammed into one area. Once the other 3 cities are there, things might even out. But then there might be even more people playing so maybe not. I just dont know!! :p

I ended up evacuating Tonberry and going to Cactuar. Absolutely zero lag, levequests work too.

Maybe that's why we're getting two days of testing. I hope it's the end of Phase 1 though, I want that controller support.

Ha, I'm so dumb I didn't even notice that. Thought it was the same odd starting and ending 30 hours as this past test. Guess the next one is that +24. Well 23 because of daylight savings maybe if they go by that.

I ended up evacuating Tonberry and going to Cactuar. Absolutely zero lag, levequests work too.

In all areas? Only area that seemed like it had bugged ones in tonberry was the central forest. The levequests I mean.

Ha, I'm so dumb I didn't even notice that. Thought it was the same odd starting and ending 30 hours as this past test. Guess the next one is that +24. Well 23 because of daylight savings maybe if they go by that.

In all areas? Only area that seemed like it had bugged ones in tonberry was the central forest. The levequests I mean.

You mean bentbranch area? Yeah, those leves worked fine.

They didn't work when I tried them on tonberry.. you could initiate but the monsters never spawned.

Allard

Central Shroud was bugged but only for high traffic/queue areas. I think there must have been some log jam/max available leve quests that can be started at a time for Bentbranch and the max capacity servers kept hitting it so people would never see the leves start properly. I went over to Goblin server from Atomos at some point yesterday and was not only fairly lag free but nearly bug free with lots of FATEs. It actually felt like what I assume they wanted people to see if it wasn't for the lag elsewhere. I was able to level twice as fast as a consequence, got Gladiator to lvl 16 and nearly finished getting a full set of plate gear before servers finished :).

Still they will have this type of turnout and more during launch/phase 4 so I guess its best they go through this type of growing pains to get it right.

Jarnet87

Can we have more then one character during the beta? If so I may try a different server just to see difference in lag/population/etc. I dunno, I've always favored high population servers seeing as it's better to be full and have issues then a completely dead server where it is impossible to get anything going group/raid wise.

Also, do you guys see the quest system they've put in for 2.0 going all the way to 50, or will it tail off as we reach higher levels? Only level 14 but once the game start introducing the Grand Companys and Dungeons will it focus more on grouping up instead of solo questing.

Salaadin

Also, do you guys see the quest system they've put in for 2.0 going all the way to 50, or will it tail off as we reach higher levels? Only level 14 but once the game start introducing Grand Company stuff I wonder if the dynamic will change to more group oriented content and it being a more important part of leveling.

I think they said that they want us to be able to quest all the way to cap but that was a while ago and might have changed.

There is the issue where the quests arent repeatable so, once we take up a second job, we will need something to help us along. I dont think the hunting log is enough so Im hoping for some nice group content.

Last interviews still show that main quests and subquest will be enough to level to 50. Then we'll have Hunting Log, Levequests, FATE, the new Behest, Parties (which will probably be the fastest way on mid levels) for other jobs. So that's more choices than in 1.0.

Jinko

You couldn't do other leves if you couldn't complete the pre quest for it though, the pre quest is random so if you got the leve which didn't work you were completely screwed on all leves, you couldn't abandon the leve or quest either.

LowParry

Agreed. Though I always ended up getting credit with Hunts if someone else had already tagged the monster.

Jinko

Agreed. Though I always ended up getting credit with Hunts if someone else had already tagged the monster.

Only works if you tag them so they are your claim otherwise you have to do a percentage of damage, sucks if you are a Gladiator or Conjurer.

Only works if you tag them so they are your claim otherwise you have to do a percentage of damage, sucks if you are a Gladiator or Conjurer.

Any melee when the mob is chasing a range as well. Even have a hard time on lancer, until I got the range skill. It is hard as shit for any melee skills to hit a running mob in a populated area.

Lucis

or play on PS3 :3

which is probably going to be even worse than what he currently has.

Anyways.

We still play on tonberry?

My character is Lux Lucis, can I get added onto the list?

I started as Archer (was going conj but the lag on the first day make spell cast unplayable)

Was out most of the weekend only got in about 4-5 hours last night. Got to level 12 on Archer and realized that it's hard for DPS to get random dungeon group so switched to Gladiator. Got to 14 and ran out of quest, so had to do hunting log and got to 15, finished the chain quest got to 16.

I am ready for some dungeon runs next time. Does gaf do runs? =D

Desi

^having to add everyone manually sucked big balls. Didn't get to group with anyone
Any melee when the mob is chasing a range as well. Even have a hard time on lancer, until I got the range skill. It is hard as shit for any melee skills to hit a running mob in a populated area.

There must be a button that selects targetable mobs like <pt> <t> (but in button form) in XI? Too easy to spend half the time clicking the guy next to you.

Teknoman

Yeah i'm liking some of the new early Gladiator skills as well. P

Its going to be crazy getting used to Paladin again.

Oh that note, since there are no Great Sword classes/jobs in sight for the time being, i'm looking forward to Marauder/Warrior changes too...especially since I think I left it at 35 or 40?

Kinda leaves questions on whether or not AF quests and job skill quests (for skills that actually made the switch) will be the same. At this rate, high level players moving over will be just like newbies in shiny equip lol.

Lucis

I went glad coz 4/5 dungeon LFM (in both english and japanese) are looking for tank... I just want to see the dungeon lol, it won't be hard to get archer to 15 either (maybe it will be hard since i don't have quests anymore)

I don't think second hunting log can tie me from 12-15 ;/
Fate I guess?

LowParry

I'll probably try out Gladiator next phase. Lancer I've really enjoyed for melee. I keep expecting to get a Jump ability (which is probably, maybe, at later levels?) so I just spacebar it out and pretend, hey, I can Jump!

King_Moc

Banned
Probably not gonna get a chance to touch this next weekend, but was suitably impressed and i'm looking forward to trying out the gamepad controls when phase 2 starts as that's how i prefer to play RPG's.

Is phase 4 essentially launch for legacy characters? I seem to recall them saying we'd have access to the old character data and that it would carry over to the full release. That looks like being roughly June from the road map. It's actually a good move, as it stops everyone being in the same area come launch, and should alleviate potential server problems.

And what's this hunting log people are mentioning? I never saw that.

I Leveled Archer to 10 and then switched to Gladiator and leveled to 15 but didn't get a chance to do Tam Tara. I completed the dungeon a few times in Alpha so I'm curious about the differences between Alpha and Beta and how the dungeon will feel with a more proper party setup.

Combat actually felt really good and was a huge improvement over 1.0 and the Alpha in my opinion. I liked the pacing quite a bit. The lack of animation lock definitely looks ridiculous when you're sliding around and firing off an ability but it's a necessary evil I guess. It helps to use the target lock on feature and to train yourself to stop moving when you use skills and abilities. The effects and animations were nice but I would love to see something with a bit more impact. I'm also looking forward to more interesting combos and strategic elements beyond just their plans for Limit Breaks. I'm still holding on to the hope that they completely replace the Battle Regimen system with something more like skill chains and magic bursts.

Will mobs get much more challenging as the game progresses? They all feel way too squishy right now.

The day night transitions, music, and general improvements to lighting and shadows have made a huge difference in adding to the atmosphere and overall look of the game. I hope they still have plans for dynamic weather and that we get to see some of that during one of these beta phases.

Protip: Disable "Glare". I think this might be adding a ton of bloom and makes everything look terrible.

Agreed.

Part of the problem is that sometimes I was only getting credit if I did a certain percentage of damage or a number of actions while fighting an unclaimed mob. There would be times where I would only be able to hit a mob once and I wouldn't get any credit. Another problem is that unlike Guild Wars 2 and dynamic events, everyone doesn't automatically have the same quest and so every kill from every person does not automatically give everyone credit. This could maybe be resolved by giving everyone in the area that has the quest credit for each kill, regardless of the individual, but this would open the door to a number of other problems. I would rather they didn't.

I'm pretty happy with the implementation and like the system overall. I never want to go back to traditional claiming. I don't think it will be as big an issue when players are more spread out but it will likely still be a problem in some areas during launch.

I will say that it is slightly annoying when someone pulls hate on a mob that you have claimed and then runs away causing it to reset. This opens the mob up to get potentially claimed by that person or someone else. Not that it's a big deal since everyone gets credit but it's still annoying.

And dungeons every 5-10 lv.

And Caravan, and class/job quests which are unique to each class/job, and Grand Company quests (which may or may not be repeatable), etc.

It's a shame that a lot of the primary leveling quests are not repeatable but I think there will be plenty of content to level other jobs with and it might get old repeating those quests anyway. Also, it wouldn't make much sense from a lore perspective.

I went GLD because I was fed up joining parties thinking they could complete TTD with no tank lol.

Well in my case is beacuse I didn't tanked since XI and wanted something different and better use Beta to have some training.

Actually I was quite impressed, maybe the first thing I'll do in ARR will be lvl GLD to 50.

I though weather on ARR was confirmed? That's a damn shame if not, is the kind of thing that really adds to the atmosphere.

And what's this hunting log people are mentioning? I never saw that.

The hunting log is a set of objects to kill X number of certain monsters.. it is class specific (as such, each class has its own hunting log). Once you complete an entry in the log (e.g. kill X squirrels or kill x fungi and y ladybugs), you get bonus experience. After you complete a page in the hunting log, you unlock another page for higher level mobs in different locations.

I used the hunting log to get my gladiator to lv 15 from 14 so we could do a tam tara run before they shut the servers down.

Basically it gives you a bonus for killing monsters that you probably have quests for anyway.. and you generally only have to do 2-3 more on top of what your quests require to get the bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom