• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Separate PvE and PvP systems should be the next innovation in MMO's :D

Tags for one of the latest forum posts, gave me a good laugh.

funnyfu.jpg

Separate PvE and PvP systems should be the next innovation in MMO's :D

Not sure how much I agree with that, as it does cause immersion issues, and then would mean a lack of world pvp. But it works in a game like this that will not have that world pvp.

Does make the balance problems less difficult for the dev team though.

Jijidasu

Christ, what's with all the drop kicks using gigantic images/gifs as signatures? My screen is 80% stupid signature images and 20% stupid feedback in the wrong section.

Riposte

It seems they want to force players to think about their next move, if even by a second or two. That's a good thing only if you give the player a reason to consider their next action. I want a slower, more tactical and cooperative FFXIV to be honest.

Having to do PvP to unlock PvP moves seems like it will be unpleasant for new players.

Sorry guys, I'm pretty sure I'm done. That battle system is atrocious IMO and clearly they have no intention of changing any major things about it.

It's a shame too, because everything else was done really well and I loved 1.23, as busted as parts of it were. I'll probably log on for a bit once it comes out to see how my L50 works in the new world but after that, yeah.

Mature

Sorry guys, I'm pretty sure I'm done. That battle system is atrocious IMO and clearly they have no intention of changing any major things about it.

It's a shame too, because everything else was done really well and I loved 1.23, as busted as parts of it were. I'll probably log on for a bit once it comes out to see how my L50 works in the new world but after that, yeah.
Sorry to hear you go =/

Teknoman

Maybe i'm paying more attention to trying to improve/give feedback on the general features/aesthetics of the game (never been one to go in depth for gameplay feedback unless its just something so detrimental that it has to be changed), but what is so bad about the base battle system so far?

Personally i'm just waiting on limit breaks and whatever other new skill additions they have, but I have seen a few people complaining about the current systems available.

Qvoth

Give me your beta key? Lol
Or maybe extras you don't use currently?

Xux

Sounds like someone found the ability lists for every class and job (including Arcanist and Summoner) in the Beta files.

PGL might have stances again, MRD is fueled by "Fury", more Job and Class ability swapage, etc.

Jijidasu

Sounds like someone found the ability lists for every class and job (including Arcanist and Summoner) in the Beta files.

PGL might have stances again, MRD is fueled by "Fury", more Job and Class ability swapage, etc.

Do you have a link?

Jinko

Nah you'll be back :D

Jarnet87

well that's like your opinion man. Like the blogs have said, why not continue playing and see how the combat evolves as you level. It's meant to be quick and easy during the early stages. I never found the combat of 11 of 14 1.0 to be great and so far think the new system is much improved. Maybe the early game isn't your thing but the later dungeons and stuff might appeal to you.

zulfate

Hi guys, ive been a pretty big lurker for this game and im really hyped to play it everything looks fantastic so far but the combat seems to be getting alot of negativity and i dont know why. My avatar shows i play guild wars 2 and the combat is a bit more dynamic than most mmos. Heck i even played tera just for the combat but you know what im getting tired of all these super clicky mmos and sometimes i need a game like ff14 that isnt constant clicking. Sometimes its ok to be relaxed a bit with mmos the future seems to be all about fast action movement but in mmos it can be exhausting after a hundred hours of dodging, kiting,jumping, and mashing your 1-10 keys at the same time.

I asked this question a while back but i have no clue how you obtain gear in this game....hopefully you can customize the way you look because as much as i love the white mage robes i dont want to look like that for the whole game.

Jinko

I asked this question a while back but i have no clue how you obtain gear in this game....hopefully you can customize the way you look because as much as i love the white mage robes i dont want to look like that for the whole game.

Gear can be obtanied from quests, crafting or dungeon drops, white mage AF is fairly good for its class but there will be much better alternatives from end game raids.

They plan to add a vanity gear system at some point so you can customise the way you look, its not going to be available at launch though.

zulfate

Gear can be obtanied from quests, crafting or dungeon drops, white mage AF is fairly good for its class but there will be much better alternatives from end game raids.

They plan to add a vanity gear system at some point so you can customise the way you look, its not going to be available at launch though.

Thanks ive been wondering because all the videos shows everyone with the same gear on.

Ravidrath

Huh, strange - I thought CNJ was supposed to get Water? But it looks like the closest thing they get is "Fluid Aura."

Also, they're doing the thing where IIs replaces Is, right? So I won't have Stone and Stone II on my bar, correct?

Jinko

Huh, strange - I thought CNJ was supposed to get Water? But it looks like the closest thing they get is "Fluid Aura."

Also, they're doing the thing where IIs replaces Is, right? So I won't have Stone and Stone II on my bar, correct?

Yea Fluid Arua is more a knock back and stun spell now, not sure about the tier II stuff, it would explain why CNJ has no combos though.

Looks like THM/BLM gets no combos either :(

Nakazato

Yea yoshi still dont know what to do with that job it seems

Nakazato

Why are stances indicative of "not knowing what to do with it?"
Cause the only stance worth using was wind 1.0, the mana drain sucked, and really the job seemed some what useless cause of that. With that said I stopped mnk do to this. That statement was imo.

If the mana drain is less and all three (4 with kicks) stances get buffed ill eat crow.

desu

So people really post data mined stuff on the beta forums? I guess that's the fastest way to get your account banned :D?

I am sure the forum/se ninjas are really happy if you disclose lots of not yet released information (especially since the NDA is still in place). Well from what I heard the alpha/beta client contains infos on not yet revealed locations/dungeons, apparently even class/job beyond the announced ones.

Ravidrath

Cause the only stance worth using was wind 1.0, the mana drain sucked, and really the job seemed some what useless cause of that. With that said I stopped mnk do to this. That statement was imo.

If the mana drain is less and all three (4 with kicks) stances get buffed ill eat crow.

Based on the few piece of translated info there, they sound completely different. And I don't think they'd have MP drain associated with them, either.

Different combo bonuses with different stances, stuff like that.

Nakazato

Based on the few piece of translated info there, they sound completely different. And I don't think they'd have MP drain associated with them, either.

Different combo bonuses with different stances, stuff like that.
Well then *picks up fork and knife* me and mr crow will be bff

Edit: yea just read it hmmm still have mp stances with new stance.

omlet

Hi guys, ive been a pretty big lurker for this game and im really hyped to play it everything looks fantastic so far but the combat seems to be getting alot of negativity and i dont know why.

A few main reasons:

1) The combat system at the end of 1.0 (patch 1.23x) was actually pretty good in a lot of ways, besides the lag. If you didn't play the game at that time, it's hard to sum it up quickly, but while there were lag issues and some content itself which wasn't very interesting, the proficiency with which the battle team adapted and evolved the system to the limitations the game had was really impressive. So some players, myself included, were hoping for something a bit more like the next evolution of that system, which is not what we've been seeing. Some players, myself included, are willing to adapt, and some just want to spew bile.

2) Large portion of the tester base so far has been 1.x vets with level capped jobs and full arrays of abilities at their disposal. The testing phases thus far have been limited in scope and some people can't see past this fact and act like they expect level 1 combat to be as engaging/challenging/etc. as level cap combat.

3) People who still want FFXI-2 and won't shut up about the fact that level 1 critters don't take a whole minute to kill.

DrDogg

I haven't tried the combat much because I'm waiting for controller support in phase 2, but as long as it's a challenge (similar to XI), I'm fine. I understand the early levels will be easy, but as long as that doesn't mean it's a breeze to endgame, I'm okay with entry level being easier than say... 25+.

What I liked about FFXI was the fact that I felt I had to really work to be good at my job. This is one of the reasons SAM was the only DD I played, because I felt the other DDs were pretty simple to play. But I really enjoyed the learning curve required to be a good RDM, BRD, COR or SMN. As long as that is somewhat represented in ARR, I'll be happy.

And I'm okay with waiting until release and leveling up to 25+ to see how things go. I don't expect FFXI 2.0, but I hope some of the challenge is there.

Lucis

I haven't tried the combat much because I'm waiting for controller support in phase 2, but as long as it's a challenge (similar to XI), I'm fine. I understand the early levels will be easy, but as long as that doesn't mean it's a breeze to endgame, I'm okay with entry level being easier than say... 25+.

What I liked about FFXI was the fact that I felt I had to really work to be good at my job. This is one of the reasons SAM was the only DD I played, because I felt the other DDs were pretty simple to play. But I really enjoyed the learning curve required to be a good RDM, BRD, COR or SMN. As long as that is somewhat represented in ARR, I'll be happy.

And I'm okay with waiting until release and leveling up to 25+ to see how things go. I don't expect FFXI 2.0, but I hope some of the challenge is there.

Let me tell you, as some one who played 11 when it was the most hardcore, 11 was not challenging, in the sense that the combat system made it hard. it's only challenging because of the time required.

The old guard 11 are blowing this way out of proportion for old time sake. It was not hard to get good at playing a class in 11. Auto attack until TP full? Even as caster (I was blm and smn mostly), a lot of times you are NOT casting anything.

DrDogg

Let me tell you, as some one who played 11 when it was the most hardcore, 11 was not challenging, in the sense that the combat system made it hard. it's only challenging because of the time required.

The old guard 11 are blowing this way out of proportion for old time sake. It was not hard to get good at playing a class in 11. Auto attack until TP full? Even as caster (I was blm and smn mostly), a lot of times you are NOT casting anything.

I specifically mentioned that I thought the DD jobs were pretty simple. I also did not play BLM at all because I felt the same way (with a few endgame exceptions). Now I have to ask how you played SMN because in most XP parties it was rare to see a good SMN. The few that were good, were casting quite often.

That said, I was referring to the jobs I specifically mentioned... RDM, COR, BRD, etc. I'd even put PLD on that list due to MP and hate management (and NIN simply because it was never meant to be a tank). And while you may think XI wasn't that challenging, it wasn't easy to find people who were good at their jobs. So if XI wasn't challenging, XIV 1.0 spoon-fed you.

omlet

I specifically mentioned that I thought the DD jobs were pretty simple. I also did not play BLM at all because I felt the same way (with a few endgame exceptions). Now I have to ask how you played SMN because in most XP parties it was rare to see a good SMN. The few that were good, were casting quite often.

Yeah, Casting Cure I and II.

*snicker*

/runaway

Lucis

That said, I was referring to the jobs I specifically mentioned... RDM, COR, BRD, etc. I'd even put PLD on that list due to MP and hate management (and NIN simply because it was never meant to be a tank). And while you may think XI wasn't that challenging, it wasn't easy to find people who were good at their jobs. So if XI wasn't challenging, XIV 1.0 spoon-fed you.

I had the best equipment at the time and my carbancle was free I believe ;/
I also had 75 RDM and played my room mate's PLD and my other room mate's BRD, they really are NOT hard. AT ALL. I didn't play 14 1.0, I couldn't stand the crap. But I did play wow for 6 years. And the "challenge" 11 had compared to wow... well the only part i can think of is the time you need to invest.

Ravidrath

So I didn't see much in the way of abilities related to Carbuncle or the other summons?

It almost makes me think that the summons are just better versions of minions, who attack and have abilities, but may not actually be directly controllable like they were in XI.

Jinko

So I didn't see much in the way of abilities related to Carbuncle or the other summons?

It almost makes me think that the summons are just better versions of minions, who attack and have abilities, but may not actually be directly controllable like they were in XI.

I am hoping they will be like Chocobos and have a gambit system and use their own abilities when they see fit, it could just be you cast the summon on a monster it comes out smacks it and disappears again though.

No Shiva makes me sad though.

Might be interesting to see what the summoner Limit break is.

Ravidrath

I am hoping they will be like Chocobos and have a gambit system and use their own abilities when they see fit.

No Shiva makes me sad though.

Might be interesting to see what the summoner Limit break is.

Well, my guess is Shiva is coming later, or in an expansion. Or that is coming in the 50-60 ability set.

And "Enkindle" is probably just Astral Flow? Like, using it enables their super attack.

ebil

I remember Fernehalwes (localization guy) saying that Shiva would not be in the game at launch on the OF. She'll come with an update later on.

Nah you'll be back :D

Nah Jinko, we're both done unless that combat system changes back to 1.23 or something similar. I've given it a chance now twice and it's no fun. I wanted the game to go more in the "action" direction 1.23 was taking it where you can intelligently dodge attacks and difficult fights can be won without the "holy trinity" but Yoshida seems hellbent on trying to make it like a single player RPG just online.

It's not that a new system can't "click" with me, I pretty much hated Tera's system during early beta but then it "clicked" and now I like it. But I don't think this will do the same. If I do decide I'm out though I'll let the LS know in game most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom