• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
The hunting log is a set of objects to kill X number of certain monsters.. it is class specific (as such, each class has its own hunting log). Once you complete an entry in the log (e.g. kill X squirrels or kill x fungi and y ladybugs), you get bonus experience. After you complete a page in the hunting log, you unlock another page for higher level mobs in different locations.

I used the hunting log to get my gladiator to lv 15 from 14 so we could do a tam tara run before they shut the servers down.

Basically it gives you a bonus for killing monsters that you probably have quests for anyway.. and you generally only have to do 2-3 more on top of what your quests require to get the bonus.

Ah, right, so like you get in other MMO's then? I'm a completionist, this is pretty much bait for me.

Salaadin

Ah, right, so like you get in other MMO's then? I'm a completionist, this is pretty much bait for me.

Yeah, me too. I unlocked it, went to see what it was and immediately thought "Oh no. This...is not good" and then ran outside to obsessively beat on mobs.

Teknoman

Well in my case is beacuse I didn't tanked since XI and wanted something different and better use Beta to have some training.

Actually I was quite impressed, maybe the first thing I'll do in ARR will be lvl GLD to 50.

I though weather on ARR was confirmed? That's a damn shame if not, is the kind of thing that really adds to the atmosphere.

Make sure you give Paladin a shot. Dont forget that the classes are just the beginning. The real meat is the actual job it unlocks.

Of course you'll have to level conjurer to 15 and gladiator to 30 first.

Yeah, me too. I unlocked it, went to see what it was and immediately thought "Oh no. This...is not good" and then ran outside to obsessively beat on mobs.

Whats cool is that it kinda forces exploration at times, or at later levels maybe even parties that have similar logs.

EDIT: I'm really like the vertical design in the deeper part of the shroud. Ran up a downed giant tree...and into some small outpost platform watching a flock of axe beaks. Warned me against Death Gazes, and that sounded like trouble...so I bailed out.

The hunting log is a set of objects to kill X number of certain monsters.. it is class specific (as such, each class has its own hunting log). Once you complete an entry in the log (e.g. kill X squirrels or kill x fungi and y ladybugs), you get bonus experience. After you complete a page in the hunting log, you unlock another page for higher level mobs in different locations.

I used the hunting log to get my gladiator to lv 15 from 14 so we could do a tam tara run before they shut the servers down.

Basically it gives you a bonus for killing monsters that you probably have quests for anyway.. and you generally only have to do 2-3 more on top of what your quests require to get the bonus.

I was able to blow through most of the rank 1 mobs on my Gladiator due to being a higher level. I leveled from 13-15 relatively easily by only using the hunting log and stumbling into random FATE events.

I would love to see something similar to Mark Hunting in FFXII and it could even be integrated into the existing hunting log. It would also be nice if they expanded it into a bestiary with mob information, drops, precise locations, weaknesses, and a model viewer.

There must be a button that selects targetable mobs like <pt> <t> (but in button form) in XI? Too easy to spend half the time clicking the guy next to you.

It isn't about targeting, it is about skills not hitting even though they go off because of how this is coded or latency issues. Only really noticeable as melee against something that is running since if you are range you will still be in range when the server thinks you used the skill, unless you are already at max range and it is running away from you of course.

Teknoman

I was able to blow through most of the rank 1 mobs on my Gladiator due to being a higher level. I leveled from 13-15 relatively easily by only using the hunting log and stumbling into random FATE events.

I would love to see something similar to Mark Hunting in FFXII and it could even be integrated into the existing hunting log. It would also be nice if they expanded it into a bestiary with mob information, drops, precise locations, weaknesses, and a model viewer.

Everyone wants the log to be a bestiary, so I think that has a good chance of happening. Doesnt hurt to post about it again/like all the posts with the idea.

Also it would be nice if an NM mark would unlock after completing pages of the hunting log.

Make sure you give Paladin a shot. Dont forget that the classes are just the beginning. The real meat is the actual job it unlocks.

Of course you'll have to level conjurer to 15 and gladiator to 30 first.

Well, when I said GLD, I really mean PLD lol. I have 3 jobs to level 50 in 1.0 and CNJ to level 30+ so I'm ready to go. Better use the quests to level up GLD/PLD and I can level up CNJ/WHM with parties and then I'm set for a good while lol.

Everyone wants the log to be a bestiary, so I think that has a good chance of happening. Doesnt hurt to post about it again/like all the posts with the idea.

Also it would be nice if an NM mark would unlock after completing pages of the hunting log.

yeah, I'd love to see it as a bestiary too.

Salaadin

^having to add everyone manually sucked big balls. Didn't get to group with anyone

There must be a button that selects targetable mobs like <pt> <t> (but in button form) in XI? Too easy to spend half the time clicking the guy next to you.

I was wondering this too. I didnt dig around the Config yet to look for control options but I was having issues with clicking on people when I really wanted mobs.

Teknoman

Well, when I said GLD, I really mean PLD lol. I have 3 jobs to level 50 in 1.0 and CNJ to level 30+ so I'm ready to go. Better use the quests to level up GLD/PLD and I can level up CNJ/WHM with parties and then I'm set for a good while lol.

You're not Dante are you? I always misplace XIV names with actual GAF names since most of our LS members had totally different names...

I was wondering this too. I didnt dig around the Config yet to look for control options but I was having issues with clicking on people when I really wanted mobs.

They said something about targeting modes in the gamepad demonstration video..

Maybe they'll come in phase 2 with the gamepad controls?

King_Moc

Banned

That would be great. It should give you story and mob info like when you killed a certain number in XII too.

NinjaJesus

Yeah, I would love this. Has anyone suggested this yet on the forums?

Yeah, I've got to get back into tabbing because that feel when you accidentally select to kick your lancer during a big pull of mobs.

I find it best to target the tank and then go to what he is targeting. Not sure if there is a "target of target" button, but will look for it next time I get to play. Then rebind it to F.

I need to get to binding keys to mouse buttons and what not because I hit sprint several times aiming for something else, like keen flurry. At least it gave me a reason to use invigorate. Normally like to keep quick activated abilities with cooldowns or massive cost on one of the mouse's extra buttons, but haven't set up anything yet in this game.

Salaadin

I find it best to target the tank and then go to what he is targeting. Not sure if there is a "target of target" button, but will look for it next time I get to play. Then rebind it to F.

There was /assist "playername" in 1.0, wasnt there? I remember XI had it. It basically made you target whoever the "playername" was.
If thats not back, it should be.

I have a keyboard with a bunch of extra keys on it for macros and I think this will be the first game that I use them for

There was /assist "playername" in 1.0, wasnt there? I remember XI had it. It basically made you target whoever the "playername" was.
If thats not back, it should be.

I have a keyboard with a bunch of extra keys on it for macros and I think this will be the first game that I use them for

Stuff like that is good when you have a static tank, but for just normal runs I wouldn't want to redo my macros beforehand every time like in FFXI groups. Still a good option if I can't find something else.

Had a keyboard like that, but all the keys were off to the side. Find it easier to just use ALL of the buttons that feel natural to reach around WASD, and one near space, like V. F keys work great for some things, but people may want to keep them set to target players. I also like using extra buttons on my mouse for "oh shit" skills and long cool downs that will not get accidentally hit, but are still easy to reach.

I don't normally run into a "too many skills, not enough buttons" problems this way, and I like the feel of having everything reachable without taking my hand off the movement and camera controls.

PolishQ

I've had a really good time with the beta so far, much more than with 1.xx a few months ago. I shouldn't go into details because of the NDA, but I'll just say that I'm not usually one for MMOs but I think I could see myself sticking with this one.

Xux

Hopefully they have some good company quests, I duno how far you got but the last main mission was quite good, story looked like it was starting to really kick in.
Nah, I only got to level 13. Loved the nods to the original with that Treant fight; can't wait to see how much the actual story and the Echo will add to these quests.
You can hold Ctrl and it'll hide player names and let you click on NPCs and monsters through players.

Jinko

According to a JP post they are planning to add a map UI for teleporting and chocobo porters (which is like WoW's flight master routes)

Sounds good :D

creid

There's going to be a FFXIV panel at PAX East:

Final Fantasy PAX East Panel
2013 is an exciting year for FINAL FANTASY fans, with an upcoming release of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Join the SQUARE ENIX team as they give an inside scoop on new details for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

PANELISTS:
David Yang [Senior PR Manager, Square Enix, Inc.], Morten Haugaard [Product Manager, Square Enix, Inc.]

NAGA THEATRE
FRIDAY 3/22 1:00PM - 2:00PM

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/final-fantasy-pax-east-panel

According to a JP post they are planning to add a map UI for teleporting and chocobo porters (which is like WoW's flight master routes)

Sounds good :D

Meh, I am indifferent to that. Kinda like the current way as it makes you learn the names of the areas you want to go to. Sort of like how the map itself isn't as functional as other games, and you have to use a menu to switch to different maps instead of just zooming out and clicking on a new area.

suzu

Well, I rather have it functional and easier to use. :p

I hate having to choose from the menu, when the area I'm looking for is just one zone over.

Akuosa

I would love to see something similar to Mark Hunting in FFXII and it could even be integrated into the existing hunting log.

About this... I found something that I thought could be something like this. A mob called "seven year gnat" that I found suspicious because of the kinda weird name... and when I attacked it a message popped out saying "A wanted target is discovered! Slay the seven-year gnat and collect the bounty!".
Said gant was level 19, same as me at the moment... and it beat me senseless like nothing. WTF was that about? I guessed it was some kind of NM or something along the lines of mark hunting because of that message, but nobody seems to know anything about that ._.

It wasn't a FATE either, that I checked. I just... don't know what killed me.

Jinko

About this... I found something that I thought could be something like this. A mob called "seven year gnat" that I found suspicious because of the kinda weird name... and when I attacked it a message popped out saying "A wanted target is discovered! Slay the seven-year gnat and collect the bounty!".
Said gant was level 19, same as me at the moment... and it beat me senseless like nothing. WTF was that about? I guessed it was some kind of NM or something along the lines of mark hunting because of that message, but nobody seems to know anything about that ._.

Ooooo thats interesting, could have been an open world NM I guess

Yoshi's Combat post

Was during a guildleve right? Had it pop up like every other one I did in the ones in the eastern forest if I looked around for it. . Got a message and bonus exp when I turned in the leve that I killed it on. Is as hard as you set the difficulty for that quest when you activated it.

Teknoman

^ who and who ?

Saw this posted on the beta forums, worth a look if you like Amano.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/the-sky-final-fantasy/?pid=3339

Must...not...spend...money.

EDIT: Hey 3 book set for only 50 bucks? I thought it was like 100 something? Guess its a re-release.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616551607/?tag=neogaf0e-20

718N-vDMCdL._SL1200_.jpg

Now thats an art book set I can get with.

51IpW6b6BqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Want this too at some point.

Teknoman

Yoshi-P's combat post is even more epic in the official translated version.

Thanks for the link, Jinko.

I like the part where he mentioned that players should not have to avoid or sneak past enemies to enjoy dungeons/content. That was one of my number one dislikes when it came to XIV pre-calamity. Running/rushing through Darkhold and bypassing everything made it feel more like a random stone hall way than an actual dungeon. The timer was part of it as well...not sure why they want to keep timed dungeons.

I like the part where he mentioned that players should not have to avoid or sneak past enemies to enjoy dungeons/content. That was one of my number one dislikes when it came to XIV pre-calamity. Running/rushing through Darkhold and bypassing everything made it feel more like a random stone hall way than an actual dungeon. The timer was part of it as well...not sure why they want to keep timed dungeons.

Obviously he didn't try to explore much in the alpha, then.. I had to sneak past alot of things to go exploring lol

Teknoman

Obviously he didn't try to explore much in the alpha, then.. I had to sneak past alot of things to go exploring lol

Actually probably will in ARR too, if those ziz are any indication...I guess he meant forced to sneak? Optional sneaking to see how far you can make it is another story :p

Munba

That Yoshi post is pretty perfect. He clearly knows what he is doing.

And another useless complaints topic in OF raises... oh well.

Jarnet87

Has there been talk of any changes to the crafting system? I figure since the UI has changed a lot maybe so would the crafting system. I'm not saying it should change to WoW tradeskills, but they could at least provide us with a recipes menu of stuff we've already learned, this way we don't have to go out our way to look it up on the internet every time we wanna make something.

Read some of the live letter, a lot of cool stuff they are trying to implement and they are really putting the game in a good direction.

Edit: just saw the gathering and crafting alpha video. Looks a ton better and easier to use then before.

Has there been talk of any changes to the crafting system? I figure since the UI has changed a lot maybe so would the crafting system. I'm not saying it should change to WoW tradeskills, but they could at least provide us with a recipes menu of stuff we've already learned, this way we don't have to go out our way to look it up on the internet every time we wanna make something.

Read some of the live letter, a lot of cool stuff they are trying to implement and they are really putting the game in a good direction.

Edit: just saw the gathering and crafting alpha video. Looks a ton better and easier to use
then before.

I'm guessing you didn't get to try crafting in Alpha or Beta? I haven't seen the changes since Alpha but crafting is amazing now. The original system was one of my favorite parts of FFXIV 1.0 and they have completely overhauled it and addressed pretty much every complaint.

There is a recipe menu and now you can only craft things that you have "learned". A lot of the more overly complex recipes and items with multiple components have been simplified. The whole thing has been overhauled but still feels a lot like the original system. Don't want to get into too many other details. This might be saying too much already but I think most of this stuff has already been confirmed on the Lodestone and in various interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom