• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

The only true solution to the problem is leaving the servers open 24/7 and not having them monitored in real time by their server team.

Which is what I'm hoping they will do in phase 3, considering the amount of content to be tested...
Well, during the later phases of alpha, the servers were running 22/24, so it's bound to happen eventually. And considering phase 3 is supposed to have regional data centers, I'd say it's safe to expect the game to be running close to 24/7 by then.

LowParry

Beta times aren't really for our benefit, phase 3 should be 24/7.

I'd like to think that will be the case though if I had to put a guess down, I'd say two weeks of testing then down time before bringing servers back up with patch work. Who knows though. This is SE and their wacky testing ways.

I'd like to think that will be the case though if I had to put a guess down, I'd say two weeks of testing then down time before bringing servers back up with patch work. Who knows though. This is SE and their wacky testing ways.

Sooner or later they'll have to start testing the servers 24/7 to see if they can hold up....

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't wait, done my exams the night before the weekend. I'll probably spend some time trying this out more now. :)

I'm pretty much set to finish a little early on friday afternoon, go buy some booze, and then sit down with a whiskey and coke and some Realm Reborn.

Last weekend was my first time playing RR, and I really enjoyed it. Much more than FFXIV vanilla. Looking forward to seeing more of the game this weekend.

Munba

A friend of mine deleted the mail with the beta code inside for mistake. There is a way to find that code somewhere or a procedure to send it to mail again?

Jinko

The only thing I'm not happy about is the fact that all the work I put into my beta character will get wiped when Phase 3 comes. :(

Yea this is the downside to playing most beta tests :(

Thankfully I have a 1.0 character for phase 3/4.
A friend of mine deleted the mail with the beta code inside for mistake. There is a way to find that code somewhere or a procedure to send it to mail again?

Yes check the the deleted email folder >.>, otherwise probably not, he could try contacting SE support but I doubt they would be very helpful.

desu

The only thing I'm not happy about is the fact that all the work I put into my beta character will get wiped when Phase 3 comes. :(

The reason I barely bothered with any of the alpha, content and fighting system are so limited at this point and I just don't have time to waste ... phase #3 will be the first interesting phase.

Not really. And I went in with low expectations too. How many ways can you rewrite a fetch quest and a 'kill x monsters' quest?

Basically all the quests in 1.0 were like that as well but with a story surrounding main missions.

Leves were strictly, a go kill this type of thing.

But they obviously cut out things for class quests and story missions. Even when you stumble upon them they take the cutscene out and tell you why.

So the beta is not about judging content, it is about getting a feel for the gameplay.

The reason I barely bothered with any of the alpha, content and fighting system are so limited at this point and I just don't have time to waste ... phase #3 will be the first interesting phase.

Any progress made in phase 3 will be wiped as well apparently. Phase 4 is the one that carries over.

Munba

Translated (subbed) Live Letter VI:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-Q-A-Summary-(04-17-2013)?p=988755#post988755

There's one dungeon in particular I'd like to show eventually. The sky is visible, and there’s this dense jungle portion—I really wanted to show it, but I'll have to save it for another time. We have some incredible new dungeons filled with beautiful, natural elements, as well as elements that give a sense of how the creatures and people within dungeons are using these spaces.

Very curious now.

desu

Any progress made in phase 3 will be wiped as well apparently. Phase 4 is the one that carries over.

Sure, but all the content is there, as well as full level range and so on. It's the phase when I can evaluate if I still want to play the game.

As for those Dungeons, I wonder how the Bahamut Raid and the Jungle Dungeon look like, those already have placeholders in the files from what I heard.

Sure, but all the content is there, as well as full level range and so on. It's the phase when I can evaluate if I still want to play the game.

As for those Dungeons, I wonder how the Bahamut Raid and the Jungle Dungeon look like, those already have placeholders in the files from what I heard.

So we got:

• The three main cities will be up.
  • Some tweaked combat.
  • Limit Breaks.
  • Regional Servers.
  • NDA lifted.
  • Free Companies & Linkshells.
  • 20+ Worlds available.
  • All character customization options available.
  • 1.0 character import.
  • PS3 players joining in.
  • Everybody with a service account will be able to play.
Yeah, if you're not digging it by phase 3, it'll be time to move on at that point.

desu

Well it's not about digging or not (I like everything looks and so on). But I don't really see there being much content for me at launch (if you've pretty much done everything one could do in 1.0). Sure I want to see the new dungeons and the redesigned world ... but if that's all then I could just wait for some big content update further down the line.

I didn't have the chance to try much of phase two, due to being very busy moving to a new house.

I played a little and had many r0, s0 and 1 dc issue. Since I am trying a new connection, I wanted to understand if that could be the problem or if it was common to have these issues during last beta test.

Thanks,
francesco.

Well it's not about digging or not (I like everything looks and so on). But I don't really see there being much content for me at launch (if you've pretty much done everything one could do in 1.0). Sure I want to see the new dungeons and the redesigned world ... but if that's all then I could just wait for some big content update further down the line.

Oh, I wasn't really speaking to you specifically, just kind of throwing my own two cents in to supplement what you said. Though you probably have the right mindset in waiting for some new and invigorating content to build up. I'm personally not expecting too much there at launch myself, but I could be wrong.

Allard

So we got:

• Some tweaked combat.
  • Limit Breaks.
  • Regional Servers.
  • NDA lifted.
  • 20+ Worlds available.
  • 1.0 character import.
Yeah, if you're not digging it by phase 3, it'll be time to move on at that point.

One alteration, the customization options for characters will only be expanded/tweaked in phase 3, the 'all character customization options available' comes in phase 4 when supposedly we can carry over our data.

Also for the people complaining about how boring the opening segment is earlier on this page, they mentioned the intro sequence is provisional and will not be what we get at launch, its why its so dull right now. That and all the major storyline segments have large chunks of dialogue and full Cut Scene sequences missing to hide 'spoilers' I imagine launch will actually be pretty different in this regard, or at least I hope it will. Even going into 1.23 with company missions the cutscene's were very well done, if they can do that much for the 1.0 crowd I'm sure the cut scenes in the final game will look great and its actually one of the big things I am looking forward to, but its also something I am not expecting to see in Beta, at least not till phase 4.

[1:35:09]
Q: Other than FATE… Are there any plans to implement open-world content?
A: In ARR, we're planning to implement open world content through the Full Active Time Event system. For example, those who have been playing the Beta Test can help NPCs conquer a stronghold being held by bandit NPCs, and once you seize it, those bandits will return and try to retake it, so players have to defend against their assault. Additionally, town NPCs might be carried away by monsters in FATE, and you’ll have to stop it in real time since these NPCs will not return if taken. Then you'd have to go to the monster stronghold to rescue these captured NPCs, where you might encounter a boss. There are a lot of different events planned, like trying to rebuild an abandoned village, but getting attacked by a nearby pack of coeurls, and so on.

With that said, all open-world content will be implemented through the FATE system, and we plan to keep creating exciting things to do. In phase 3, we'll be implementing hamlet defense from Version 1.0, which will also function within the FATE system. So when it comes to open-world content, it’s all going to be called FATE.

Sigh... No open world NMs confirmed I think. Such a complete letdown, NM experiences were one of the most memorable and sentimental things from XI IMO.

Zozobra

Sigh... No open world NMs confirmed I think. Such a complete letdown, NM experiences were one of the most memorable and sentimental things from XI IMO.

As much as I enjoyed the NMs in FFXI, I just don't think that system would fly nowadays in a post-WoW world. Far too much time and drama involved with that sort of thing, I can understand why they'd want to move away from that in ARR.

Yea waiting around for long spawn windows and the drama when loot dropped was memorable all right :S

Yea, but I mean you personally don't have to do it if you don't like it. They'll have all these other things you can do, like FATE or dungeons or Primals or whatever else. But a lot of people hold NMs really close to their hearts, and I think they're alienating this (large) group of people. On the Beta forums right now there's a poll about it. Go look at the results and see how one-sided they are in favor of NMs.

There's no reason they can't have something for everyone. Personally I think NMs just make the world feel more alive, and add something unique to every zone. For example, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Sea Serpent Grotto, or Uggalepih Temple. Regardless of whether you enjoy camping NMs, assuming you played XI for a while your answers are probably Charybdis and Sozu Rogberry. The fact that they're so memorable suggests that they add something important to the world. Without them what would those zones be?

FATE is fine, and I think it will be a great system and they should keep pushing forward with it. But I don't see why also adding NMs would be a bad thing.

As much as I enjoyed the NMs in FFXI, I just don't think that system would fly nowadays in a post-WoW world. Far too much time and drama involved with that sort of thing, I can understand why they'd want to move away from that in ARR.

"There are a lot of different events planned, like trying to rebuild an abandoned village, but getting attacked by a nearby pack of coeurls, and so on."

If they can make the content as interesting as the potential sounds with FATE, I'm willing to wave goodbye to open-world NMs. As it is now though---no, they still need something else to infuse that kind of long-lasting world experience into the game.

Having experienced FATE in the beta, I really don't care about boring open world NMs. Lol.

I completely disagree. I have found fates so far to be completely mindless and boring, a sheer numbers game. Whereas many nms in xi were difficult and requires unique strategies and you'd reap great rewards. Especially fun low manning them.

Mandoric

Banned
Yea, but I mean you personally don't have to do it if you don't like it. They'll have all these other things you can do, like FATE or dungeons or Primals or whatever else. But a lot of people hold NMs really close to their hearts, and I think they're alienating this (large) group of people. On the Beta forums right now there's a poll about it. Go look at the results and see how one-sided they are in favor of NMs.

There's no reason they can't have something for everyone. Personally I think NMs just make the world feel more alive, and add something unique to every zone. For example, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Sea Serpent Grotto, or Uggalepih Temple. Regardless of whether you enjoy camping NMs, assuming you played XI for a while your answers are probably Charybdis and Sozu Rogberry. The fact that they're so memorable suggests that they add something important to the world. Without them what would those zones be?

FATE is fine, and I think it will be a great system and they should keep pushing forward with it. But I don't see why also adding NMs would be a bad thing.

Well, NMs fill three roles, two of which are really annoying to the "average" player.

The first is the rare-as-shit world boss. When they talk about replacing them with FATEs, this is what everyone's thinking about: earning 50 Fafnir credits for showing up and doing damage, rather than having to spam claim in the general area for hours a day to have any hope of someday getting a Ridill.

The second is the rare-as-shit pop who happens to have indispensible gear. Lizzy, Emp, even poor Spook. These are probably FATEable, and/or toned down to make dungeons appealing.

Then the third is just an unusual spawn with a special name, who are generally good fun. Hopefully the discussion will evolve toward having these around, under the NM name or no.

Jinko

I completely disagree. I have found fates so far to be completely mindless and boring, a sheer numbers game. Whereas many nms in xi were difficult and requires unique strategies and you'd reap great rewards. Especially fun low manning them.

We have only seen low level FATE's, later ones, especially end game one will span across whole zones and have multiple objectives and phases, such as Castrum Novum and the beastmen strongholds which was mentioned in the last live letter.

The few NM's I have run into so far with the FATE system have been sufficiently satisfying IMO.

For example, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Sea Serpent Grotto, or Uggalepih Temple. Regardless of whether you enjoy camping NMs, assuming you played XI for a while your answers are probably Charybdis and Sozu Rogberry. The fact that they're so memorable suggests that they add something important to the world. Without them what would those zones be?

Never ran into them, all I remember from that zone was farming eyes for O-hat and fishing lol, I have seen the thread you mentioned and yea it got a lot of likes but its clearly not what the dev team have in mind, NM's caused nothing but drama at the end of the day, both from loot which dropped, botting, mpking and the rest of it.

It's not as easy to say if you don't like it don't do it, especially if some of the best gear comes from that.

Im not really against NM's, I thought 1.0 did ok with them TBH, but can't say I would miss them either, because after a certain point they become throw away content unless they rework them into new content such as the job quest line.

We have only seen low level FATE's, later ones, especially end game one will span across whole zones and have multiple objectives and phases, such as Castrum Novum and the beastmen strongholds which was mentioned in the last live letter.

The few NM's I have run into so far with the FATE system have been sufficiently satisfying IMO.

So you actually have run into NMs with the FATE system? Was it the entire FATE, or just some kind of boss? I thought they said they hadn't implemented this yet. I also thought they said that FATEs will never drop items

Jaggedy-eared jack and lumbering lambert didn't require strategy, either. Even the NMs in beadeaux didn't have any particular strategy necessary.

If you're referring to HNMs like Behemoth, then we haven't seen anything of that level with regard to FATE, but they will.

ZiZ

the way I see it is that FATE NMs are like open world NMs that you don't have to worry about claiming.

people who are complaining about FATE being a numbers game should give FATEs another chance in phase 3 and 4. At this phase all players are squeezed into a small fraction of the world and their levels are low and similar, add in the fact that a lot of the content at specific levels hasn't been added yet. This means that everybody is going to be doing every FATE they see if only for the exp.

when phase 3 & 4 come out, the players will be spread thinner, and there will be more content to focus on. I'm guessing you're going to need to organize your own party beforehand and camp out some areas waiting for certain FATEs to pop. The main difference from old NMs will be that they it appears clearly on the map now, and you don't have to worry bout another party claiming it before you.

So you actually have run into NMs with the FATE system? Was it the entire FATE, or just some kind of boss? I thought they said they hadn't implemented this yet. I also thought they said that FATEs will never drop items

I've seen a couple, it was an entire FATE dedicated to a single NM.

I don't know about the drops though.

Riposte

A compromise is having to take down NMs to trigger a FATE and maybe have them provide something small besides. Even though I don't like the system, I have noticed that the world does feel a little naked without natural world NMs.

Jinko

Yea several NM's, they were single bosses, A boss Raptor, A water elemental and a Big Plant thing, they mentioned they would have a points/token system for end game FATE's I think, but not actual items.

There is a rogue wailer in one of the small encampments at the start and a drunk adventurer in south shroud also that I know of.

Mature

I wouldn't be optimistic about FATEs if I thought the end result would be what we have in the beta. I can see how they'll end up panning out in the final product and it surely wont just be a "numbers game"— you've got a whole server's worth of beta testers condensed into a reduced-in-size city state, of course it's just going to look like a numbers game at this point. I applaud SE's willingness to do something outside of "tougher than normal monster". Besides, like others have said, I'm sure that the idea and execution of an open world NM will just fall under a FATE.

Allard

I wouldn't be optimistic about FATEs if I thought the end result would be what we have in the beta. I can see how they'll end up panning out in the final product and it surely wont just be a "numbers game"— you've got a whole server's worth of beta testers condensed into a reduced-in-size city state, of course it's just going to look like a numbers game at this point. I applaud SE's willingness to do something outside of "tougher than normal monster". Besides, like others have said, I'm sure that the idea and execution of an open world NM will just fall under a FATE.

There are also NM spawns occasionally in leve quests now as well, but they don't give items at the moment, just increase the EXP/GIL reward as a rare bounty. Also Yoshida never said there would be no item drops from FATE, only that the 'current' FATE's would not drop items as he wanted them to be quick little events that helped you level dynamically doing 'events', he even speculated when he first detailed the FATE system in an interview that a potentially big NM spwn might have a loot pool and your performance during the fight would determine both if you got an item and how good the drop/chances of a good drop would be. These would be high level if they were to be implemented because he didn't want higher levels messing up the low level FATE's which are designed for low level experience points. He said something like this 'might' appear down the line but is not scheduled for launch. He was mostly talking about the flexibility of the FATE system, if the game calls for it, a drop system for items is being planned for.

TheMink

So we got:

• Some tweaked combat.
  • Limit Breaks.
  • Regional Servers.
  • NDA lifted.
  • 20+ Worlds available.
  • 1.0 character import.

Ps3?!?!? Will i get a code? Or will i have gotten one already?

(Already got one for my PC cant play it though already gave it to a friend)

Also, were there any more classes announced? Or just the summoner classes.

Pysched about 1.0 importing, main reason i didnt want to play early alpha.

A compromise is having to take down NMs to trigger a FATE and maybe have them provide something small besides. Even though I don't like the system, I have noticed that the world does feel a little naked without natural world NMs.

Something I was working out the words to say. I too dislike the kind of game that NMs made FFXI, but they did add flavor to exploration when finding a random one that didn't drop anything good so wasn't camped. What you just proposed is excellent. Making some unmarked NMs trigger Fates is a great way to encourage exploration instead of just opening the map to see where the nearest fate is happening.

Like seriously, you should suggest this on the beta forums it is so good.

Riposte

Something I was working out the words to say. I too dislike the kind of game that NMs made FFXI, but they did add flavor to exploration when finding a random one that didn't drop anything good so wasn't camped. What you just proposed is excellent. Making some unmarked NMs trigger Fates is a great way to encourage exploration instead of just opening the map to see where the nearest fate is happening.

Like seriously, you should suggest this on the beta forums it is so good.

I'll do that. Haven't made many posts though and I always feel like I don't get listened to lol.

Yea several NM's, they were single bosses, A boss Raptor, A water elemental and a Big Plant thing, they mentioned they would have a points/token system for end game FATE's I think, but not actual items.

There is a rogue wailer in one of the small encampments at the start and a drunk adventurer in south shroud also that I know of.

I guess a point system would work, but I still think it's inferior to NMs. idk, guess we just have to see how things will play out and what FATE eventually develops into. I mean the lack of NMs isn't going to be game ruining for me if they can partially fill the void with FATE, but I don't think they'll be able to completely fill the void, so I suspect I'll still end up missing them.

elyetis

For example, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Sea Serpent Grotto, or Uggalepih Temple. Regardless of whether you enjoy camping NMs, assuming you played XI for a while your answers are probably Charybdis and Sozu Rogberry.
Something memorable isn't always for a good reason. Charybdis is the kind of NM I remember yes... as part of the worst experience ffxi could offer ( but hey at least it was 100% drop so it still make it one of the least bad nm of the game ). Big repop window + placeholder + not soloable ( at least it really wasn't easy and was prone to be stolen ). What it meant ? you could spend 6 hours a row ( even with the pop window open ) and not see the NM pop, for that time you needed to have enough friends ( with the right jobs ) available to help you for the fight. You get the NM to spawn ? you'r not even sure you were gonna have the claim over a group who got there juste 2 minutes befores.

I kind of liked Ose during the period where you would team up with the other xp pty in Onzozo to fight it ( it actually felt random to have to have to fight it ). Or the WSNMs and things like that. But FATE could be the most boring things in the world, I would still find it years better than the nerve breaking system ffxi had ( competition on claim, for *** drop rate, spawn rate to destroy you'r social life ( i don't have one but still... ), many times for something which isn't even a fight ( killing a lvl 20 nm as a lvl 75 meant nothing )).

Now i do see how no NM could lead to make the world lack a little diversity etc... it was fun to be able to end up seeing a NM you didn't expect ( like Ose etc ) and I would have hoped they had choosen a way to have them without what -I- thought was a fun killer. ( mostly the claim competition, and be a little more softcore on the pop time & placeholder system, maybe allow you to level sync to it's level making the fight harder but more intreresting and rewarding you by a better drop rate )

Something memorable isn't always for a good reason. Charybdis is the kind of NM I remember yes... as part of the worst experience ffxi could offer ( but hey at least it was 100% drop so it still make it one of the least bad nm of the game ). Big repop window + placeholder + not soloable ( at least it really wasn't easy and was prone to be stolen ). What it meant ? you could spend 6 hours a row ( even with the pop window open ) and not see the NM pop, for that time you needed to have enough friends ( with the right jobs ) available to help you for the fight. You get the NM to spawn ? you'r not even sure you were gonna have the claim over a group who got there juste 2 minutes befores.

I kind of liked Ose during the period where you would team up with the other xp pty in Onzozo to fight it ( it actually felt random to have to have to fight it ). Or the WSNMs and things like that. But FATE could be the most boring things in the world, I would still find it years better than the nerve breaking system ffxi had ( competition on claim, for *** drop rate, spawn rate to destroy you'r social life ( i don't have one but still... ), many times for something which isn't even a fight ( killing a lvl 20 nm as a lvl 75 meant nothing )).

Now i do see how no NM could lead to make the world lack a little diversity etc... it was fun to be able to end up seeing a NM you didn't expect ( like Ose etc ) and I would have hoped they had choosen a way to have them without what -I- thought was a fun killer. ( mostly the claim competition, and be a little more softcore on the pop time & placeholder system, maybe allow you to level sync to it's level making the fight harder but more intreresting and rewarding you by a better drop rate )

I agree FFXI's implementation of NMs was polarizing, but I think it should be possible to do it in a way that satisfies everyone. I'm no game designer, so maybe I'm wrong, but what I really like is the spirit of NMs, so yea I'd be just as happy as you if they found a way to fix some of the problems.

That being said, I do think some element of competition is healthy with MMOs. It just needs to be fair.

just signed up for the beta for ps3..

am i too late for an invite?

Nope, PS3 beta starts on Phase 3 and we're currently on Phase 2.

I agree FFXI's implementation of NMs was polarizing, but I think it should be possible to do it in a way that satisfies everyone. I'm no game designer, so maybe I'm wrong, but what I really like is the spirit of NMs, so yea I'd be just as happy as you if they found a way to fix some of the problems.

That being said, I do think some element of competition is healthy with MMOs. It just needs to be fair.

Is never gonna be 100% fair if there's competition involved. I agree that it should be competition but I'd rather keep it optional. (PvP).

That said I'd like to have random NM that need conditions to pop and aren't tied to specific FATE. Like a chain of FATEs that ends fighting a big NM.

Nope, PS3 beta starts on Phase 3 and we're currently on Phase 2.

Is never gonna be 100% fair if there's competition involved. I agree that it should be competition but I'd rather keep it optional. (PvP).

That said I'd like to have random NM that need conditions to pop and aren't tied to specific FATE. Like a chain of FATEs that ends fighting a big NM.

I just tried to imagine a hypothetical situation in which people would use PVP to determine loot or spawn claims. I laughed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I still think FATEs are better than NMs, if we cannot have both. FATEs promote collaboration between players, and it gives life to the world. I'm hoping the FATEs work like GW2 events, and they chain to larger and larger events. In GW2, they would eventually chain to a huge boss that would have a cool drop. If that's what FATEs will have, I'm totally in.

I think thoughtful cooperation is far more rewarding than competition between players, and it allows for larger encounters.

That's remarkably better than FFXI's NM implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom