• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
After spending some time with this beta I'm just going to come out and say it.

This game is much better than FFXI, and is addicting, charming, a lot more polished now, and is just like from going from Hades (FFXI) to Heaven (FFXIV). Things are so quick, you don't spend all your life just doing fetch quests, you can sprint, you can go back to home nation without having warp scrolls or warp or dying, and the interface is great for controller and keyboard. Everything is so streamlined it just takes one massive leap over FFXI. When this game comes out, good riddance FFXI.

Kokonoe

Banned
After spending some time with this beta I'm just going to come out and say it.

This game is much better than FFXI, and is addicting, charming, a lot more polished now, and is just like from going from Hades (FFXI) to Heaven (FFXIV). Things are so quick, you don't spend all your life just doing fetch quests, you can sprint, you can go back to home nation without having warp scrolls or warp or dying, and the interface is great for controller and keyboard. Everything is so streamlined it just takes one massive leap over FFXI. When this game comes out, good riddance FFXI.

To add to this, the combat is blazing in speed by comparison, you heal HP much faster, the graphics are gorgeous (also aesthetically), Fates are so darn FUN and it's much better than Campaign, Besieged, and or even Rieves. This is the true sequel everyone was wanting, and to be honest, I am quite stunned at how good this is, it far overlaps my expectations.

Jubern

I'm so jealous. This is slowly becoming the sole reason I regret buying a Mac as my only computer last year lol

PS3 beta can't come soon enough...

Xux

To add to this, the combat is blazing in speed by comparison, you heal HP much faster, the graphics are gorgeous (also aesthetically), Fates are so darn FUN and it's much better than Campaign, Besieged, and or even Rieves. This is the true sequel everyone was wanting, and to be honest, I am quite stunned at how good this is, it far overlaps my expectations.
Damn, positive impressions are definitely refreshing. Makes the wait for Phase 3 even harder. :(

BlackJace

Hopefully Archer changes as much as they say they will. I'm sticking with it for the beta, but I feel as though its the most bland atm.

Sora_N

Damn, I didn't know this was up today for some reason. I spent half the day playing Lego Batman 2 lol, gonna hop onto FFXIV and play a little.

I haven't really played this game all that much (exams and hw near of the term) and been out of the loop on MMOs (played a bit of TERA before the f2p), what are some things I should know about this game? I feel really lost about quests and stuff and the battle system.

Riposte

Sarutabaruta > Gustaberg > Ronfaure

This game is really beautiful at night. Running around with no hud is nice. I haven't even bothered doing content.

What they've done with the controller layout is interesting. It makes you wonder what it would have been like if it showed up in FFXI years ago. I wonder if they will adapt Valve's neat controller keyboard stuff for typing.

I've been mostly playing around in character creation (made five characters so far). I've only recently figured out that "face" is basically a set of categories for the other options. Probably the part I like the most is coming up with proper character names. I wished more people did that, it is aesthetically pleasing to me (and one hell of an upgrade over some of the names I've seen so far). I think I'll try and spread the lie that following racial name conventions gives you an experience bonus during the earlier levels. Silly rumor stuff like that existed back when FFXI came out, I wonder if the internet is still naive enough for it to get traction. What I'll probably end up doing in the main game is play with names off, like I did with 1.0.

I'm really hoping I can rename my old character. My plan is to have my old character to follow whatever storyline they provide (probably none) for those who were around before the Calamity and make a new one from the perspective of someone fresh. I think it won't make a difference at all though and that bugs me. Despite that, for my new character I think I'll make a Miqo'te Male. Worth it for their sit animation alone.

EDIT: What font is the main website using for its banners and stuff?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

EDIT: And another thing... if I were to rip some banners from the website for the OT, which form would you prefer?

contbanner_010_hoverpeoo5.jpg

or

pldn9ox5.jpg

Jijidasu

First option is nice.

Hoping they push out some more trailers soon. They've got that trailer featuring voices (from the blog) and the second Eorzea tour video due - would be nice to get before phase 3 starts.

I really want to play but I'm trying not to spoil myself.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
First option is nice.

Hoping they push out some more trailers soon. They've got that trailer featuring voices (from the blog) and the second Eorzea tour video due - would be nice to get before phase 3 starts.

I really want to play but I'm trying not to spoil myself.

I want the trailers, because i can't play this days... :)

Riposte

The OT I'm aiming for is going to be extensive and very image heavy. I'm working on streamlining it, but I don't think I'm going to back down from its size. Don't get me wrong though: it is not too crazy and should fit in one post. I've already drawn a layout on paper, so I have a good idea what it is going to look like. I think now is the time to start looking for someone who can implement the really slick art for the OT I have in mind... I imagine it will be a lot of work. I'm really aiming to make a spectacular OT, one others will aim for when making their own. I took this on not because I wanted to be the face of FFXIV (though I do like it and will play it obviously), but because I wanted the challenge of doing a good job. If it goes well and I find the process rewarding, I'll probably get into making more.

But getting back to the OT itself, I'm afraid I'll miss stuff though. Like details that must be covered within individual topics: combat system, crafting system (which I haven't touched yet), etc. Maybe you can lend a hand.

For starters, what are the things that must be hit on for a piece covering the combat system as a whole? Let's ignore the class/job system, that is its own thing. Broadly speaking here are the five-six points that come to mind (don't be afraid to get more specific):
-Auto-attack + Abilities + Lock-on (i.e. "This is MMORPG combat") - will briefly touch on "global cooldown" here I suppose.
-Party size
-MP/TP management/regen system
-Combos
-Limit Break (whatever that will look like)
-PvP (even if it isn't implemented at launch, we know that PvP will have separate abilities unlocked in a different way)

Anno

Super bummed I keep getting left out of beta invites =/ Luckily people seem to be breaking NDA left and right (not here), I guess. Hopefully Phase 3 does bring in all former 1.0 players.

Chairhome

Did you attune with the main Aetheryte in Gridania plaza? You unlock Return when you do that.

Yeah, I did. I hit Return and it asks me if I want to return to Gridania, but when I hit Yes, nothing happens. I just have to use Teleport instead. Oh well.

Finally hit 15. If anyone wants to party up later with someone who is a newb, let me know :-D

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wow, is this the least leaked MMO beta ever? I just want to see screens/videos :(
Like that wood area during night time and until the sun appears.

Jinko

Wow, is this the least leaked MMO beta ever? I just want to see screens/videos :(
Like that wood area during night time and until the sun appears.

Pretty much, if you get caught your account will be banned, for those with 1.0 and FFXI characters its enough of a deterrent lol.

I'm sure this thread will be full of screens in a couple weeks when phase 3 starts.

LowParry

Pretty much, if you get caught your account will be banned, for those with 1.0 and FFXI characters its enough of a deterrent lol.

I'm sure this thread will be full of screens in a couple weeks when phase 3 starts.

I will bomb the hell out of this thread with pics (not really, but maybe). :D

scosher

I'm still not digging the combat system. Going to hold off on commenting until I see Phase 3, although I already voiced my several concerns on the beta forums.

Zios

Banned
I'm still not digging the combat system. Going to hold off on commenting until I see Phase 3, although I already voiced my several concerns on the beta forums.

Alot of us are in the same boat. Phase 3 determines the fate of this game for alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom