• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Limit break conversation in parties will go like.

Monk "Ok lets use my limit break"
Black Mage "No mine does more damage"
Warrior "Mine looks the best though"
White Mage "Use mine"
Everyone "No yours is shit"

Dragoon "uses his"
Everyone "WTF!?!" "kick from party and blacklisted"

This is the first thing I thought about when we learned how limit breaks will work in FFXIV.

Riposte

Limit breaks do not look like a good replacement for a proper skillchain or "regiment" mechanic. That's a shame, because it is not like FFXI is a skillchain game anymore.

Mature

Limit breaks do not look like a good replacement for a proper skillchain or "regiment" mechanic. That's a shame, because it is not like FFXI is a skillchain game anymore.
Oh, come on, we don't know anything about them— especially how they'll fit into the balance of things.

Riposte

Don't we already know that it is activated from spending a party-wide resource pool that is gathered together by people doing certain things (based on jobs IIRC). Not quite a "combination" attack I would hope for.

Jijidasu

I think it's far too early to be drawing criticisms on something we've yet to see and know little about. I wouldn't be surprised if that concept for the limit break has already been changed considering all of the other drastic changes they're doing going from earlier phases to the third.

Jinko

Don't we already know that it is activated from spending a party-wide resource pool that is gathered together by people doing certain things (based on jobs IIRC). Not quite a "combination" attack I would hope for.

I would say thats pretty accurate, there is no way you could set up skillchains with the speed of ARR's battle system.

They way I see limit breaks is the end goal of what a skill chain should be without the combinations and setting up, granted that was kind of fun in itself but also really annoying when someone just couldn't get the timing right and a total pain in the ass for magic bursting ancient magic lol

I'm just hoping that each job has a useful limit break.

Riposte

I would say thats pretty accurate, there is no way you could set up skillchains with the speed of ARR's battle system.

They way I see limit breaks is the end goal of what a skill chain should be without the combinations and setting up, granted that was kind of fun in itself but also really annoying when someone just couldn't get the timing right and a total pain in the ass for magic bursting ancient magic lol

I'm just hoping that each job has a useful limit break.

That kind of synchronization is a natural and easy way to add depth to the multiplayer aspect of the game, not to mention the overall strategy of picking the right "combo" (though that's not always as dynamic as it should be). Making it a fundamental aspect of a game can be a really elegant way to engage the player. Yeah, some people were bad at it, but that's apart of the appeal: so you can improve and be good at it. Without that, and FFXI is mostly without that, then the combat system loses a layer when it might really need. Reducing a game's depth in order to reduce frustration in multiplayer is a depressing prospect, but unsurprisingly common in the MMO market, at least when it comes to most of the content.

Not saying that is what Limit Break will do though. I don't know what Limit Breaks will ultimately provide. I could see how they could use the way players gather the "resource" to go one way or another. Maybe it works like a point system where a WHM has to be good with heals or a melee fighter contributes more by hitting the monster's weakness. This would reinforce good "solo" performances side by side so that eight or so players who "do their job" get rewarded with a bonus special attack (in this case bad teamwork wouldn't be a frustrating and obvious fumble, but an overall lack of performance over time). Maybe it features more cooperative aspects, though I'm not sure what those would be right now.

I wouldn't mind having both.

Teknoman

Limit break conversation in parties will go like.

Monk "Ok lets use my limit break"
Black Mage "No mine does more damage"
Warrior "Mine looks the best though"
White Mage "Use mine"
Everyone "No yours is shit"

And Paladin gets the shaft as usual :p

Jijidasu

Looks like we might get some information in this week's Famitsu etc. It's due out tomorrow in Japan but furage leakers should be doing the rounds within the next few hours.

Mature

Looks like we might get some information in this week's Famitsu etc. It's due out tomorrow in Japan but furage leakers should be doing the rounds within the next few hours.
Ooh yesss. When the 1.xx servers went down I was willing to wait forever for ARR, but I can slowly feel the urge to get back to XIV growing. I thirst for new info once again.

Jijidasu

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/341

New blog up.

Nothing overly interesting and it seems as though they're only just now making the videos? lol.

Some interesting things I see in the video:

予約特典 - pre-order privileges

Foxclon talks about a schedule and you see a bunch of stuff on the paper, including ARC>SMN art.

Must be the video where they show off arcanist and summoner... it would make sense for that to have developer commentary being a new class with new skills, etc.

Jijidasu

What are they cracking up about? Just normal "trying to stay so super serious that it actually feels funny" laughter?

Yeah, wasn't anything out of the norm said although it seems (lately) Foxclon has a habit of getting tongue tied when speaking. I think it was just they were really tired lol.

Really need some media goodies, getting dry out here.

Darte

Some new PS3 pics

980696_458741340880585_2100271084_o.jpg

964718_458741310880588_1548890143_o.jpg

981828_458741360880583_879400870_o.jpg

Vashetti

Banned
Looks very soft but I've always found that really appealing about the PS3 version for some reason.

It suits the art-style very well, gives it kind of a dreamy/storybook quality.

I love it.

desu

Geez, wow that looks just super terrible! Man I really wish they would have scrapped this useless PS3 version. Hopefully this annoying PS3 version won't hold the pc/ps4 version back.

Munba

Graphically the ps3 version seems very good but i think the ui (because the res) covers the screen too much in that manner. Hope we can resize ui also on ps3.

Oh that looks better. I still think is sub HD. But at least is not Star Ocean 4 level of sub HD. Looks very good considering is PS3. Let's see how well it runs.

Not that I care since I'm superior PC race member in this case lol.

Qvoth

didn't know about this, thanks!

ebil

What's going on with the HP and MP values not matching at all in these screens (between the top-left part and the actual HP/MP gauges)? Are they just mock-ups?
Looking good (if a bit cluttered) for PS3, I guess. I also like the 'soft' look as Vashetti put it.

What's going on with the HP and MP values not matching at all in these screens (between the top-left part and the actual HP/MP gauges)? Are they just mock-ups?
Looking good (if a bit cluttered) for PS3, I guess. I also like the 'soft' look as Vashetti put it.

Yoshi-P said the HP/MP thing was a display issue w/ level sync that has already been fixed now.

Akuosa

Thats the most important thing about those shots. What the hell are they fighting? Some sort of Scorpion wyvern?
Not really, those things were already in the beta.
I mean... or so I've heard. Are we even doing this anymore? I lost track of the NDA...

ebil

Thats the most important thing about those shots. What the hell are they fighting? Some sort of Scorpion wyvern?

I mean... or so I've heard. Are we even doing this anymore? I lost track of the NDA...
Monsters from this family have been shown on the dev blog before Beta started (albeit not clearly) and they've been recycled/adapted from FF12 (Deathgaze).
h6bmlVu.png

uh9LVKq.png

Ravidrath

I haven't seen it anywhere. Looks cool, though.

The wings, in particular, remind me of Panzer Dragoon, which is always a plus in my book.

Jijidasu

Wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to post this last night (not until Yoshi-P had made mention of it) but 2ch is scary - they managed to find Yoshida's blog from 2003 and had a handful of DaOC videos among other things. He used to also run a Diablo 2 fansite in which he translated all the daily announcements and item stats - pretty cool. If you see the tag "Naony" being thrown in the Japanese threads that's the vippers.

They also found his supposed FFXIV character (doesn't look like he played much after launch :p).

Aeana

Wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to post this last night (not until Yoshi-P had made mention of it) but 2ch is scary - they managed to find Yoshida's blog from 2003 and had a handful of DaOC videos among other things. He used to also run a Diablo 2 fansite in which he translated all the daily announcements and item stats - pretty cool. If you see the tag "Naony" being thrown in the Japanese threads that's the vippers.

They also found his supposed FFXIV character (doesn't look like he played much after launch :p).

I knew I liked him for a reason.

Mature

This man never ceases to amaze.

creid

So he's one of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom