• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After reading so many good things about FFXIV I am on the fence of plunging in as well although I never played any MMOs before. So my question would be whether this game is a good entry point for MMOs?

It's one of the most accessible MMO games out there. Most any major MMO today makes it easy for new players to get into, but FFXIV also features a pretty straightforward narrative that doubles as an extended tutorial into your class and maintaining a progression line that guides you through its world and various zones. Everything is explained very clearly through pop-ups and tooltips, there is very little here that will have you googling for answers. Most questions made by new people, even in this thread, are often premature as the game will directly provide their answers with forward progress. (Unless you choose a tank class, which demands more responsibility in play style than most every other outside of healers).

Otherwise, lots of great details as well especially for fans of the classic FF games. No outright cameos, but some subtle callbacks from music to witty NPC musings.

I just bought the game having never comitted myself to another MMo my whole life...

Please tell me the game does a good job explaining the mechanics and jobs for me... and that I'll not regret this purchase... please.

Tex117

Banned
I just bought the game having never comitted myself to another MMo my whole life...

Please tell me the game does a good job explaining the mechanics and jobs for me... and that I'll not regret this purchase... please.

I have never played a MMO before this, and I didn't find it too overwhelming.

Im not the best player ever, but with a few wikis you will be just fine.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ha, that's embarrassing. Still...auto translate? Im still not clear what that feature is doing. IM a ps4 player.

auto translate makes common phrases readable in any language.

This way you could still communicate if paired with a group of Japanese people.

Tex117

Banned
auto translate makes common phrases readable in any language.

This way you could still communicate if paired with a group of Japanese people.

Gotcha, that's what I thought. So if I see those icons, someone is not speaking my native language?

Also, how do you know if someone is speaking specifically to you as opposed to just out-loud?

Submit the app and then message one of the leaders in game (they are listed on the 1st page of the OT). No mistake has been made, make what you like to look at visually (race/gender etc) and from there you can make whatever class you want since each character can be ALL of them if you choose.

How do I message one of the leaders in game? I looked at the list, but I have no clue how to whisper to people :/

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Gotcha, that's what I thought. So if I see those icons, someone is not speaking my native language?

Also, how do you know if someone is speaking specifically to you as opposed to just out-loud?

Lots of people use the icons just to make their text stand out more. The icons just mean somebody used the auto translate feature, they could be speaking any language including yours.

You don't know if they are talking to you unless they whisper you, call you by name, or say tank (when you are the tank).

Aeana

I ran around Ul'dah until I saw a dude with <<Gaf>> as a tag. Click on the character. View Company Profile. Submit application.

(Of course you need to register online through the website as well)
All you really have to do is type /sea while in a town and you'll get a list of nearby players. There's basically no chance that at least one of them won't be in GAF.

zewone

I am seeing more and more parties with the first Mirror from Levi Ex being locked (to the party creator ovbviously). Are people really joining these parties? Seems pretty stupid to me.

People join them, and people will roll on the mirror regardless.

There isn't anything those guys can do to prevent you from rolling need.
Would you mind explaining this to someone new to the game?

Does Leviathan Extreme drop an item that you need, and people can't obtain it for some reason?

Aeana

Does Leviathan Extreme drop an item that you need, and people can't obtain it for some reason?
Leviathan Extreme drops a mirror that will upgrade tidal weapons to tidal wave weapons. It's incredibly rare.

Leviathan Extreme drops a rare and highly desirable item that can be used to upgrade the weapons that drop from that fight.

Some people who make Party Finder groups declare items as "locked" because they don't like or can't accept the idea of rolling against other people for the drops they want and don't care that the other 7 players are usually contributing just as much as they are. It's a good indicator that they're not fun people to party with.

WolvenOne

He drops ilvl95 weapons, and a rare item that'll upgrade those weapons to ilvl100. The drop rate of that item seems to be somewhere roughly around 1 in 20 to 1 in 30 fights. So if you want that slight upgrade you've got to run Leviathan a TON.

zewone

Leviathan Extreme drops a mirror that will upgrade tidal weapons to tidal wave weapons. It's incredibly rare.

Leviathan Extreme drops a rare and highly desirable item that can be used to upgrade the weapons that drop from that fight.

Some people who make Party Finder groups declare items as "locked" because they don't like or can't accept the idea of rolling against other people for the drops they want and don't care that the other 7 players are usually contributing just as much as they are. It's a good indicator that they're not fun people to party with.

He drops ilvl95 weapons, and a rare item that'll upgrade those weapons to ilvl100. The drop rate of that item seems to be somewhere roughly around 1 in 20 to 1 in 30 fights. So if you want that slight upgrade you've got to run Leviathan a TON.
Thanks for the answers guys. I wasn't even aware about the ability to lock people out of rolling for items. I will definitely stay from any groups like that.

WolvenOne

That'd be kinda depressing since I am about to start my 3rd book and I'm ahead of most people I know of in the FC. Granted, I know some are much further along in their books, but that Myth grind is kinda harsh considering the timeframe. I'm hoping that the next step won't be quite as much of a drain to the spirit.

Yeah, the books can be completed in a day, without even being terribly dedicated in terms of gameplay. Getting 1500 Tomes however, can take several days, unless you want to be incredibly dedicated and speed run dungeons over and over.

Basically means that, if you want to complete the weapon somewhat promptly, everything else has to go onto the back burner. I don't particularly like that.

The books themselves are relatively fun though, save for the occasional bad fate spawn rate, and the frequent annoying mob.

Thanks for the answers guys. I wasn't even aware about the ability to lock people out of rolling for items. I will definitely stay from any groups like that.

It's not even an ability to lock items. The group creators are basically just saying "Run this content for me so I can get MY rare drop (that everyone is entitled to)".

Taruranto

I'm about the complete my second book, really don't see any reason to rush.

I am seeing more and more parties with the first Mirror from Levi Ex being locked (to the party creator ovbviously). Are people really joining these parties? Seems pretty stupid to me.

Probably people who need their first clear/weapon.

WolvenOne

They don't have the ability to do that, they're simply asking people to, which is a bit rude if you ask me. XD

To be fair the drop rate on mirrors is so incredibly low that at some point you will stop having fun doing the fight over and over again hundreds of times for no result. It's the atma grind times 10,000. I can see why people would try to do this locking thing even though it's dumb, it's not fun to kill Leviathan 300 times and still have to roll against 7 people for the drop. Mirror drops should have been random awards like the barbs you get from that fight, or the atmas.

I'm nearing 80 kills and I've seen 1 mirror drop.

aceface

Books will be better when they up the myth drop rates in 2.3. I expect it will be similar to the abundance of Philosophy in 2.1.

Strange remote play with my ps4 over the internet was working for a few days and then stopped working. Tried resetting my vita and ps4 to no avail. I tried using multiple Wi-Fi spots. Any idea what could be wrong?

Does it connect and drop the connection, or are you not able to connect at all?

Primeau31

I'm still having a huge problem here. It's telling me account is inactive on Mogstation and it won't allow me to use my credit card to renew sub (although I still get charged $1.00 by Square Enix with every unsuccessful transaction).

Am I doing something wrong?

Can't get on the PS4 or PC client :(

To be fair the drop rate on mirrors is so incredibly low that at some point you will stop having fun doing the fight over and over again hundreds of times for no result. It's the atma grind times 10,000. I can see why people would try to do this locking thing even though it's dumb, it's not fun to kill Leviathan 300 times and still have to roll against 7 people for the drop. Mirror drops should have been random awards like the barbs you get from that fight, or the atmas.

I'm nearing 80 kills and I've seen 1 mirror drop.

I agree completely. The rates are too damn low for the rewards you get - I guess they probably wanted to avoid a situation like with Primal Focus where you are guaranteed to get a new weapon and then you're done unless you want all the horsies. There should be some happy medium between primal focuses and pure luck.

The trouble with random awards, is that you can't pass if you already have as many mirrors as you want or want to help a buddy win their roll, which I guess perversely supports the whole locking thing in a way.

Hmm. Me and a friend are playing on buying this due to the strength of the beta, he'll be on ps3 and i'll be on ps4. However, I just had that headslapping moment that we won't be able to voice chat. FFXIV itself doesn't have in game voice chat and as far as I know you can't voice chat between ps3 and ps4 on the hardware level/party system. Best solution here/what ar eothers using that have ran into cross platform chat issues?

Aeana

Hmm. Me and a friend are playing on buying this due to the strength of the beta, he'll be on ps3 and i'll be on ps4. However, I just had that headslapping moment that we won't be able to voice chat. FFXIV itself doesn't have in game voice chat and as far as I know you can't voice chat between ps3 and ps4 on the hardware level/party system. Best solution here/what ar eothers using that have ran into cross platform chat issues?
We use Mumble to communicate via voice. There are clients for smartphones even.

Hey, so I never renewed my first month, because the UI options for making the UI like the console on the PC (playing on my TV with a controller, some text was incredibly hard to read) never came in within that first month.

1. How's the current UI options?
2. Gaf guilds still active?
3. Are any of the servers full or what that you guys use?

WolvenOne

I actually think using drops to upgrade items is, a fairly nice idea. However they need to adjust it so that the chances of a player running the fight 100 times just to get one, is unlikely.

Fact of the matter is, people were running Ifrit and Garuda HM months after those fights were strictly necessary, to get weapons for their alts. I see no reason why people wouldn't do the same for Leviathan, AND run it for additional mirrors, if those blasted mirrors weren't so blasted rare.

Speaking of which, I continue to be impressed with how much enjoyable the HM Primals are now that they're on a Trial Roulette. I got Garuda HM this morning, and she went down before she even got to the second clone phase in the center.

Echo nothing, a system insuring that players well passed these fights would still occasionally do them, is the absolute biggest nerf I can think of. XD

We use Mumble to communicate via voice. There are clients for smartphones even.

I am embarrassingly incompetent with my phone haha, or my phone is embarrassingly incompetent, one of those two :L I have a tablet though, I'll look into Mumble though, thanks man :) I only just have him on the hook to buy the game, if I don't have a solid voice chat solution I might lose them, then I'll be playing solo haha </3

dubq

Couple things..

Comment: Crafting is so addictive in this game. I spent like an hour last night just making leather stuff.

Question: What is "MT"? I keep seeing it in the Guild Chat..

zewone

Does he have a Vita? Vita and PS4 can party chat.

WolvenOne

Hey, so I never renewed my first month, because the UI options for making the UI like the console on the PC (playing on my TV with a controller, some text was incredibly hard to read) never came in within that first month.

1. How's the current UI options?
2. Gaf guilds still active?
3. Are any of the servers full or what that you guys use?

1: The UI is absurdly customizable.
2: The GAF FC on Ultros is huge, and darn active. The vast majority of events are impromptu however, rather then scheduled.
3: The Ultros server is where the largest and most active GAF free company is located. There are a few smaller ones on other servers however.

WolvenOne

Couple things..

Comment: Crafting is so addictive in this game. I spent like an hour last night just making leather stuff.

Question: What is "MT"? I keep seeing it in the Guild Chat..

Mistype, usually. IE: somebody said something intended for party or linkshell chat, and it ended up in FC chat instead.

MT can also sometimes mean Main Tank, but usually that acronym isn't used in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom