• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1: The UI is absurdly customizable.
2: The GAF FC on Ultros is huge, and darn active. The vast majority of events are impromptu however, rather then scheduled.
3: The Ultros server is where the largest and most active GAF free company is located. There are a few smaller ones on other servers however.

So I can make the UI as large and readable on PC as it'd be on console? This is my primary concern.

supergiz

Does it connect and drop the connection, or are you not able to connect at all?

Just not able to connect at all and I've tried my phone tethering, McDonald's Wi-Fi and my apartment gym Wi-Fi, all which have worked for me before. I'm at a loss on what to do. Reset my ps4 and vita already.

Zomba13

Hey, so I never renewed my first month, because the UI options for making the UI like the console on the PC (playing on my TV with a controller, some text was incredibly hard to read) never came in within that first month.

1. How's the current UI options?
2. Gaf guilds still active?
3. Are any of the servers full or what that you guys use?

1. Pretty good. I play on a monitor at my desk so I'm happy with default sizes but you gan make the chat box bigger and the font size for it bigger and resize other elements to make them clearer on a TV.
2. Ultros GAF guild is super active.
3. There are restrictions on some servers every so often but they open up occasionally. There is a link in the thread (think it's in the OP) that shows the status for character creation and when it's updated so if you don't have a guy on Ultros you can check the list at the time it update and see if it's open then make a character. And you only need the one character as it can be any job at any time (once you unlock the job).

WolvenOne

I agree completely. The rates are too damn low for the rewards you get - I guess they probably wanted to avoid a situation like with Primal Focus where you are guaranteed to get a new weapon and then you're done unless you want all the horsies. There should be some happy medium between primal focuses and pure luck.

The trouble with random awards, is that you can't pass if you already have as many mirrors as you want or want to help a buddy win their roll, which I guess perversely supports the whole locking thing in a way.

I do mostly agree with this, but would like to add that they probably wanted to avoid a situation wherein people could easily gear up for Second Coil super quickly.

With Primal Focus, the players participating in that quest multiple times had to be at or near ilvl90 in the first place, so all it did was incentivize gearing up alt classes. Right now their biggest long term time sink, Second Coil, is still brand new, and has to last six months. I can see why they wouldn't want people gearing up for it too quickly.

Come 2.3, their focus will likely start shifting onto getting more players through second coil, so they'll introduce additional options for gearing up characters, just like they did in 2.1.

You're right though, Primal Focus was maybe a little too predictable, and the Mirrors are just too random. A happy medium is hopefully something they'll aim for, at some point.

1. Pretty good. I play on a monitor at my desk so I'm happy with default sizes but you gan make the chat box bigger and the font size for it bigger and resize other elements to make them clearer on a TV.
2. Ultros GAF guild is super active.
3. There are restrictions on some servers every so often but they open up occasionally. There is a link in the thread (think it's in the OP) that shows the status for character creation and when it's updated so if you don't have a guy on Ultros you can check the list at the time it update and see if it's open then make a character. And you only need the one character as it can be any job at any time (once you unlock the job).

I hate to keep asking, I know it's annoying, but I can't get back into the game to check options without re-subbing.

When I last played, I could resize almost anything, but only to a slightly larger size (I'm talking about launch) and there was no way to scale the entire UI larger or smaller, which was a problem at 1080p. In addition, the text boxes for NPCs in story events were incredibly small. Is this still the case?

danthefan

I'm very curious about this too, my living room setup is a little tricky, so this would be a huge boon.

They give the option to increase the text size and the likes significantly over the PC version. In the beta I could hardly read the text on the TV, it's no problem at all now.

I do mostly agree with this, but would like to add that they probably wanted to avoid a situation wherein people could easily gear up for Second Coil super quickly.

With Primal Focus, the players participating in that quest multiple times had to be at or near ilvl90 in the first place, so all it did was incentivize gearing up alt classes. Right now their biggest long term time sink, Second Coil, is still brand new, and has to last six months. I can see why they wouldn't want people gearing up for it too quickly.

Come 2.3, their focus will likely start shifting onto getting more players through second coil, so they'll introduce additional options for gearing up characters, just like they did in 2.1.

You're right though, Primal Focus was maybe a little too predictable, and the Mirrors are just too random. A happy medium is hopefully something they'll aim for, at some point.

I guess it's a situation similar to 2.0 at the moment where Second Coil will mainly be visited by hardcore players and few people in the middle ground, and once more intermediary paths appear, it'll start to open up more to the general player base (i95 CT 2.0 gear, maybe?). It's hard for me to gauge what the general player base is like, though: I guess I'm probably on the hardcore end of the spectrum as far as FFXIV goes if you consider the people making significant Second Coil progress now exceptional, and I do find a lot of the players I end up with a little intimidating, ha ha. I try to take a broad view.

Zomba13

I hate to keep asking, I know it's annoying, but I can't get back into the game to check options without re-subbing.

When I last played, I could resize almost anything, but only to a slightly larger size (I'm talking about launch) and there was no way to scale the entire UI larger or smaller, which was a problem at 1080p. In addition, the text boxes for NPCs in story events were incredibly small. Is this still the case?

Using a controller you can resize all elements from 60% of original size to 140% and text in the chat box can go to 20.

Here are some pics, not sure how helpful they will be and the resolution is hella odd sorry (plus compression from imgur and the screenshot button)

Default (100%)
cMSr06V.jpg

Biggerer (140%, 20 point text)
WjdS7lT.jpg

You can resize and move them about (and change the sizes of other elements, including NPC speech in cutscenes etc and the little box with the dye and table info in it. forgot to resize that)

Using a controller you can resize all elements from 60% of original size to 140% and text in the chat box can go to 20.

Here are some pics, not sure how helpful they will be and the resolution is hella odd sorry (plus compression from imgur and the screenshot button)

Default (100%)
cMSr06V.jpg

Biggerer (140%, 20 point text)
WjdS7lT.jpg

You can resize and move them about (and change the sizes of other elements, including NPC speech in cutscenes etc and the little box with the dye and table info in it. forgot to resize that)

That's incredibly useful, thanks man. The one that really drove me nuts in the original release was the NPC dialog boxes. I'd get the UI all nice and decent at the games original max size, then go to a story event and not be able to read a fucking thing any of the NPCs were saying. You are great and I love you.

phierce

Ultros GAF - any of you static raiders have room for a SMN (could roll with MNK, but would prefer SMN)? I'm thinking about xfer'n over...

Eyerox

Gotcha, that's what I thought. So if I see those icons, someone is not speaking my native language?

Also, how do you know if someone is speaking specifically to you as opposed to just out-loud?

Out loud and near you - /say - white text
Long distance - /yell - yellow text
Entire zone - /shout - orange text
Whisper only to you - /tell - pink text

WolvenOne

I guess it's a situation similar to 2.0 at the moment where Second Coil will mainly be visited by hardcore players and few people in the middle ground, and once more intermediary paths appear, it'll start to open up more to the general player base (i95 CT 2.0 gear, maybe?). It's hard for me to gauge what the general player base is like, though: I guess I'm probably on the hardcore end of the spectrum as far as FFXIV goes if you consider the people making significant Second Coil progress now exceptional, and I do find a lot of the players I end up with a little intimidating, ha ha. I try to take a broad view.

There aren't that many people running Second Coil yet, I'd guess that less than ten percent of the server has even visited it, and less then five percent have cleared a turn.

Granted, this is an informal guesstimate based on how many PF's I've seen for Coil. I'm assuming there's roughly ten statics for every PF group I've seen for second Coil, but given that the amount of PF's I've seen can be counted on one hand.... <_<;;

Got my new Conjurer to Level 20 in an effort to make up for lost time with my other character in Jenova. I've ran into several tanks who refuse to draw aggro during dungeon runs, essentially putting the rest of the Light Party at risk as I am the one who will be targeted instead. So I think I understand the Duty Roulette need for tanks as of late.

Another question: at what point in the game will I be able to ride my Fat Chocobo?

gryvan

Out loud and near you - /say - white text
Long distance - /yell - yellow text
Entire zone - /shout - orange text
Whisper only to you - /tell - pink text

You can also change your text colors to a more preferable one in the chat options in character configuration.

Playing on PC with a controller. Trying to mess with the HUD options, but it's not that intuitive. I'd love to be able to get rid of the 'casting' bar that appears right on top of my character every time I fire up a spell.

Anyone?

Damn I see gaffers at every turn lol. I would join but i'm still unsure if i'll keep my sub. At the very least i'll probably play for a few months.

Aeana

is this the same with WHM? Should I grab my 15 levels in arcanist right away then?
You only gain class experience in this game. If you upgrade to a job, you still just get experience toward your class. For most, this is an ignorable fact, but consider that both summoner and scholar branch from the arcanist class, and realize that if you level summoner, you're leveling up arcanist, and since scholar uses arcanist too, you're also leveling up scholar. Two for the price of one.

To answer your question about WHM directly: yes, it's the same. You earn conjurer experience even while you have the white mage soul crystal equipped.

is this the same with WHM? Should I grab my 15 levels in arcanist right away then?

It's the same with every job and class. The jobs and base main class will level up together. When you unlock a job, it starts at level 30.

It's up to you when you want to level up the secondary class needed to unlock the job you want. You can do it ASAP. Or you can wait.

I was doing my first instanced raid.

It's Probably Pirates.

I think it made me realise why I am not a fan of playing with other people. I was tanking it up, but I think my level was just a touch too low to make an impact, especially when someone else is calling you a retard. Anyway, I died, two other people in the team died, I was removed from the party and the duty and then I decided to just log off.

Sorry for not being brilliant at the game, mate.

WolvenOne

It's Probably Pirates.

I think it made me realise why I am not a fan of playing with other people. I was tanking it up, but I think my level was just a touch too low to make an impact, especially when someone else is calling you a retard. Anyway, I died, two other people in the team died, I was removed from the party and the duty and then I decided to just log off.

Are you on Ultros server? If so, and if you still need Sastasha when I get off work, I can go with you as a DPS and give you Tank pointers.

Seeing as my main job is Tank and all.

Can you get every job?

Yes, that's a large part of the point of the system. You are pretty much a Final Fantasy Tactics or Bravely Default character in that regard.

It's Probably Pirates.

That's actually a dungeon, rather than a raid, technically.
emot-v.gif

Do remember that level doesn't matter so much in those settings; if you are higher level than the dungeon maximum, you'll be synched down to the cap for that dungeon.

If you're worried about dying, just take it slow and let people know it's your first dungeon and that you're new and whatnot. You'll still encounter ragers, because a significant minority of online game players are basically sociopaths, but most people won't go crazy if they know you don't want to go all-in immediately.

Also, hang with Gaffers, if you can; they're likely to be a bit more understanding, so long as you mention you're new.

Are you on Ultros server? If so, and if you still need Sastasha when I get off work, I can go with you as a DPS and give you Tank pointers.

Seeing as my main job is Tank and all.

Zodiark. I may try again later anyway, level up a bit to be more useful, I guess. It's a bit weird when a DPS is able to take and deal more damage than me.

Thanks for the offer though.

That's actually a dungeon, rather than a raid, technically.
emot-v.gif

Do remember that level doesn't matter so much in those settings; if you are higher level than the dungeon maximum, you'll be synched down to the cap for that dungeon.

If you're worried about dying, just take it slow and let people know it's your first dungeon and that you're new and whatnot. You'll still encounter ragers, because a significant minority of online game players are basically sociopaths, but most people won't go crazy if they know you don't want to go all-in immediately.

Also, hang with Gaffers, if you can; they're likely to be a bit more understanding, so long as you mention you're new.
I was just using the game's terminology. :p

It's just a weird shift that I don't think I was ready for, I think a combination of being caught off guard and not really knowing how to effectively help the team was the biggest issue.

aceface

It's Probably Pirates.

Don't get too down about it. As a new tank it's tough to hold aggro in early dungeons with high level synched players. It's frustrating but it will get easier for you as you level up. Sounds like the people you were with had to be an ass about it though.

And seriously, in early dungeons even if you don't hold aggro you can still clear the dungeon fairly easily if everyone else is on point. For example I was in a party last night at Satasha where the tank could not keep aggro. He told us it was his first time in a dungeon so no biggie, I threw him some tips about using flash more often and instead just healed the lancer who ended up with aggro most of the time. Didn't wipe at all because instead of throwing Hissy fits everyone just picked up the slack for the new tank.

dabig2

It's Probably Pirates.

Ah, I just did that dungeon for the first time last night. Was rough at the very start because I did not have my hotbar set up correctly and no macros. I was also learning to tank on the fly. Though luckily I and my entire party were already a couple levels ahead of the enemies in the dungeon so we really didn't struggle that much at all. Those bats were dying almost quicker than I could target them. I was able to tank everything minus a couple exceptions when I would lose hate on a couple stragglers here and there (flash costs so much of my mp....)

But yeah, I understand your struggle. My random party was pretty accommodating though. I think only 1 guy was an advanced player leveling up an alt and he was pretty chill from the brief interactions. Though I wish he'd let me mark the enemies and tomahawk them so I can establish a baseline hate, but again, we were all OP for the dungeon so it wasn't that important. I'd just like the practice before this next dungeon coming up :D

Speaking of which, any hotbar and macro tips/customizations for a Maurauder < lvl 20 (PS4)? I spent like an hour reforming mine after the dungeon, but it still seems not as good.

I think I might have a better chance to get mirror from my retainers than farming. It's really ridiculous, considering you will have to roll against 7 other people. It's the most pointless time sinker at this point. I'm better off farming myth and working on my books instead.

Is levelling up a gathering class worth it for a little extra gil? I don't really care too much about playing the market or becoming filthy rich, but I'd like a way to at least get some money if I need it, for buying equipment while levelling up other classes and buying materia and stuff.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I think I might have a better chance to get mirror from my retainers than farming. It's really ridiculous, considering you will have to roll against 7 other people. It's the most pointless time sinker at this point. I'm better off farming myth and working on my books instead.

I think somebody said it was close to a 0.6% chance to get a mirror each clear.
That means roughly 167 kills on average!

As a new person it really just helps if you say "new guy" when you start. I'm a lot more sympathetic and understanding if you just communicate. I've found the same response for me.

What drives me bonkers is people who ignore everyone, are obviously new and don't wait or respond to anything or anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom