• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Why should they have to design their story presentation around people who have already done the dungeon hundreds of times and aren't patient enough to wait for someone who is new to watch the cutscenes?

The way it should work is you watch the scenes, fight the bosses along with everybody else and progress through the dungeon as a group.

I always skip the scenes because I've seen them many times, but I sure as hell won't force anyone else to skip because I want to do a speed run.

What are you talking about.

Sophia

When there is NPC dialouge on screen it should resize by clicking in the right analogue stick (iirc).

This is not the case. I just tested it on the PC side. Clicking the right stick in with a textbox up does nothing.

I'm not crazy! I did see someone tell me that you could change the NPC text boxes. So why can't I do it =\

That someone may have been misinformed. I have not heard of a way to adjust the size of the NPC text boxes.

Bravocado

This is not the case. I just tested it on the PC side. Clicking the right stick in with a textbox up does nothing.

That someone may have been misinformed. I have not heard of a way to adjust the size of the NPC text boxes.

I've been searching some forums throughout the evening, and it seems like it's currently impossible to resize the NPC dialogue box on any version of the game, which is a bummer.

What are you talking about.

Perhaps I misunderstood your complaint.

I interpreted what you said as this - "The people in my group killed the bosses before I was even done watching the cutscenes"

I'm agreeing with the others who said it is a problem with the players, not the game.

The rest of what I said is that there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent that kind of player behavior without causing another problem.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Perhaps I misunderstood your complaint, but I was simply saying that the last story dungeons are designed for people to take in the story scenes (or skip if they've seen it), fight the bosses together as a group and move through the dungeon together.

I interpreted what you said as this - "The people in my group killed the bosses before I was even done watching the cutscenes"

I'm agreeing with the others who said it is a problem with the players, not the game.

That's what i said, i didn't get to fight any boss, and did not see the last couple ones. Why are people not interested in the story doing this dungeon then ? Because Square Enix put an incentive for people to farm it is my guess, so it's a player problem, but also a design one. Both from the way the story dungeons are designed and the way they try to get people to run them so everyone can finish it without waiting 20hours in queue.

Sophia

The solution to story dungeons is simple. Force the party to watch the cutscenes (by not allowing the bosses to be aggroed) if anyone is new to the dungeon and hasn't completed it. Problem solved. :p

Xux

So is the solution to go through an entire cutscene, not read any of the dialogue, and then go read it after the fact in your event log? That seems kind of...lame =
You can hit enter or an alt combo to open the chat window while in a cutscene and read it as you click through it.

Amir0x

Banned
Is there an option to change the keyboard controls? I feel like this is a stupid question to ask but I can't find out how to change my walking controls, I never use w, a, s, d in games :(

That's what i said, i didn't get to fight any boss, and did not see the last couple ones. Why are people not interested in the story doing this dungeon then ? Because Square Enix put an incentive for people to farm it is my guess, so it's a player problem, but also a design one.

If there was no incentive, no one would run it at all after they had done it once for the story and it would likely be difficult to find anyone to do it with (although not as much now with the influx of new ps4 players) unless you had a group of friends that would go with you.

I just didn't think it was fair to absolve the players you ran with of blame in this.

The solution to story dungeons is simple. Force the party to watch the cutscenes (by not allowing the bosses to be aggroed) if anyone is new to the dungeon and hasn't completed it. Problem solved. :p

That would be one solution to the problem of not getting to fight bosses, but then you'd have the problem of trolls who would sit on the same dialog screen in a npc conversation so that the cutscene would never end and everyone would have to leave since you can't vote-kick someone who is watching a cutscene (to prevent people from picking on people that wanted to watch cutscenes)

edit - though if it only applied for people new to the dungeon, but the number of people who could troll using that would be fairly small. I could get behind such a change.

So uh, I deleted my old level 1 character that I did nothing with, and went to go make a character on Ultros and it's telling me to go fuck myself? But the site shows that Ultros is available to make a new character on! What's the deal? =\

So uh, I deleted my old level 1 character that I did nothing with, and went to go make a character on Ultros and it's telling me to go fuck myself? But the site shows that Ultros is available to make a new character on! What's the deal? =\

It's only during certain times that you can make a character on Ultros since the server is so populated. I'm not sure what times they are myself, but probably during non peak hours are when you can create a character.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
If there was no incentive, no one would run it at all after they had done it once for the story and it would likely be difficult to find anyone to do it with (although not as much now with the influx of new ps4 players) unless you had a group of friends that would go with you.

I just didn't think it was fair to absolve the players you ran with of blame in this.

I agree with you. I didn't say i agreed with what the players did, but i understand why they do it, because that's the way the system works to farm more efficiently, while ruining the experience for new players.

Amir0x

Banned
key bindings

I am an idiot, I found an entirely different menu system I missed earlier that has all the options I've been looking for. There's where I can change my controls. I was going into the configuration menu and couldn't find the keybind, and then I finally located it when I was playing the game a second ago. Thank you jeebus. Now I can play comfortably, everything is in place. :D

Sandfox

I'll probably be requesting to join the Ultros GAF FC in a bit. Now I just need to decide whether I want to continue going for Dragoon or if I want to go Monk...

Ken

Warrior or Paladin.... which is the best tank?

paladins are loaded with mitigation cooldowns but not much else beyond that. warriors lack as many actual cooldowns but can put up more short mitigations from their wrath/infuritate system.

paladins are pretty standard MMO tanks while warriors are the more interesting tank type IMO. both are desirable in groups if that's what you want to know.

Just keep trying and you'll eventually get in. I had the same issues at launch back in August.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Though I gotta say, looking through the OP, the way to join the Gaf guild seems really complicated. You gotta sign up on a second website, then link all your stuff and then send an application to a gaf member? Can you do that last part through whisper or do you have to be physically close?

Sophia

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Though I gotta say, looking through the OP, the way to join the Gaf guild seems really complicated. You gotta sign up on a second website, then link all your stuff and then send an application to a gaf member? Can you do that last part through whisper or do you have to be physically close?

You don't need to "link" anything. Just sign up on the website, then find a GAF member through search or locally, and hit the submit app button.

HeliosT10

Keep on getting a "lobby server connection has encountered an error" message trying to log into Ultros, anyone else having problems :/

You don't need to "link" anything. Just sign up on the website, then find a GAF member through search or locally, and hit the submit app button.

Okay...well I did the sign up bit at least. One quick q. The update about welcome to PS4 users mentions a free company policy, but I can't seem to find one on the guild website. Am I just blind or is it kind of hidden?

Gaz_RB

paladins are loaded with mitigation cooldowns but not much else beyond that. warriors lack as many actual cooldowns but can put up more short mitigations from their wrath/infuritate system.

paladins are pretty standard MMO tanks while warriors are the more interesting tank type IMO. both are desirable in groups if that's what you want to know.

Think I'll go warrior. Hardly see them around.

Zomba13

What's the GAF FC policy on silly alt characters joining? I would like to have my alt in the FC to have the chat but don't want to take up a slot (also I deleted my Ultros scouting character I made before the transfer so he should have been removed from the FC).

Holy fuck is this game addictive. Not only is fun but it feels so polished and you can see the love the team put into the game.

One thing I still don't understand is if you can see the map on a bigger format. I don't have a huge TV so I don't see crap on the map.

Synless

I want to be a great lancer/dragoon. What do I need to do to become this? Stats, abilities, equipment? Is there a really good guide out there?

SRTtoZ

I rip Gamestop a lot but looking at their site I saw they were giving 40% extra credit so I brought down 4 games and got 35-40 bux each game, including Knack lol. Ended up with 150 in credit so I threw it towards the PS4 version (I have the PC already) just because of the BLM cover :D

Ill still main it on PC but it will be fun to sit in front of my TV once in a while and play...

SRTtoZ

This is literally the worst thing about this game. Just open up character creation already! I understood it at the beginning just because of server stability and whatnot but now they have transfers, soooo...why lock Char creation 6 months after release??!

This is literally the worst thing about this game. Just open up character creation already! I understood it at the beginning just because of server stability and whatnot but now they have transfers, soooo...why lock Char creation 6 months after release??!

So Ultros is now locked. Are these locked on the scale of weeks or months or should I just try back in 2-3 hours?

SRTtoZ

So Ultros is now locked. Are these locked on the scale of weeks or months or should I just try back in 2-3 hours?

Every few hours, the best time being the morning or night time. I just kept refreshing at my computer and I eventually saw Ultros there (this was back in October).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If there's a story quest dungeon that says "Use the duty finder", can I still clear the quest if I run the dungeon with friends instead?

suzu

tumblr_n493ymMznX1s05klto6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4941q7AJK1s05klto4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4941q7AJK1s05klto5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4941q7AJK1s05klto7_1280.jpg
Random lala pics.

phierce

So, help me out here Ultros GAF...before I fork over the $18 xfer fee, how many active endgame groups/people does GAF have running? Are there a lot of active endgame players?

I only ask because I'd like to xfer and join everyone, but I just want to make sure enough are actively doing the endgame shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom