• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing repeated guildhests as a healer just to get in practice.. I love this class. So much easier than DPS, which I *thought* would be noob-friendly.

Seriously easier than DPS?

I started as a THM and am 26 now... and I feel as though this has been the easiest class to play in any MMO ever. I have about 4 buttons to worry about and that is if I care to help out and put an add to sleep.

dramatis

Gear images from the Eorzean Collection video, with my scribbles all over them:
Quote link for those who want to go backwards, then this is the last image I have (super collaged):
c4dq4BG.jpg

Also, yay for shoddy gif-making abilities:
IvExtEA.gif

WolvenOne

The Gerolt Tanking set looks very nice actually.

Edit: Also, the fact that it appears to be Dyable is VERY nice. Should make for a lot more unique looking characters even without glamour.

Kenai

Seriously easier than DPS?

I started as a THM and am 26 now... and I feel as though this has been the easiest class to play in any MMO ever. I have about 4 buttons to worry about and that is if I care to help out and put an add to sleep.

Healer is pretty easy until endgame, and then it's probably the hardest job there. Unlike simply losing DPS (which is admittedly bad) if you have to move and can't/don't cast (super duper common in difficult HM/EX/Coil fights), people straight up die if you don't stop and cast, so you have to learn the fights fast and work your way around those limitations in short order. This can also happen randomly when you get new people/slackers to old content you are used to. I've seen people that do their best to wipe in places like WP and AK from time to time in DF.

WolvenOne

Starting to get legit excited about the patch now. Before I was a little frustrated since I hadn't beaten twin before it, but I'll have two weeks and I'll potentially have access to better gear during that time, so I think there's a decent chance I can get through Twin in that time.

Granted, I'll have to practice like crazy.

Also, hecka looking forward to experimenting with different color configurations for the GF armor sets. I'm wondering if Yellow will compliment the non-dyable red accents of the Tank armor well. Only one way to find out! XD

Tin can returns! I'm pretty sure I saw a Spriggan 'outfit' on a Japanese site somewhere but that might have been cross over content. I don't remember...

Noi

I actually really like that tin can set. It looks like it has actual details and flourishes to it versus Darksteel/Darklight/everythingbeforeit that looked boring or just a mess design-wise.

Tabris

From what I can tell, difficulty wise or at least degree from bad to good players, here is the order from easiest to play to hardest to play (or get right). Not just in rotations / actions, but game mechanics (i.e. PLD has easy rotations but more things to do):

BRD > BLM > DRG > MNK > PLD > WAR > WHM > SCH > SMN

From what I can tell, difficulty wise or at least degree from bad to good players, here is the order from easiest to play to hardest to play (or get right). Not just in rotations / actions, but game mechanics (i.e. PLD has easy rotations but more things to do):

That is actually really helpful. Thanks I appreciate that list.

Rektash

While I agree that SMN is the hardest dps to play, I really don't see how he is supposed to be harder to play than any of the healers.

BadRNG

What make SMN hardest DPS to play? I've seen this sentiment before, but not sure where it comes from. SMN "rotation" is extremely straight forward and amounts to keeping dots up all the time and actually using your cooldowns. Garuda barely needs management and can be treated as a 1min cooldown in most fights.

I would put SMN before the melee dps in that list, simply because melee have to deal with more crap than ranged and their rotations aren't any less complex. And no class/role has to deal with as much as healers do.

IMBored

Sadly I want to be an archer, so I'll be stuck in easy mode.

Ken

You could walk right out of the residential area to Red Rooster Stead and there is probably a mender there...

Gear images from the Eorzean Collection video, with my scribbles all over them:

allagan2 for bard, and casters is the same but with palette swap. same for allagan2 between drg and mnk. caster is purple, drg is dark purple, bard is red, mnk is a dark red.

masterwork gear can most likely be dyed (red drg, mustard brd in that vid) but allagan can't.

Wilsongt

I don't see what makes playing summoner difficult, other than being squishy. But, you shouldn't be getting hit as a SMN, anwyay.

DoTs, Rouse/Spur, Enkindle, Festers, Swiftcasting + Shadowflare, Raging Strikes before DoTs on bosses, Ruin and Ruin II (especially when moving), Aetherflow up whenever available, throw out the Virus when needed, use Eye for Eye on the tank, rinse and repeat.

Ken

What make SMN hardest DPS to play?

aetherflow management imo.

I don't see what makes playing summoner difficult, other than being squishy. But, you shouldn't be getting hit as a SMN, anwyay.

DoTs, Rouse/Spur, Enkindle, Festers, Swiftcasting + Shadowflare, Raging Strikes before DoTs on bosses, Ruin and Ruin II (especially when moving), Aetherflow up whenever available, throw out the Virus when needed, use Eye for Eye on the tank, rinse and repeat.

we got some pro SMNs in here.

Playing SMN isn't all that difficult but it is far more trickier to play when you use a controller and constantly have to play dances with the hotbars. Then it can become really really annoying.

Wilsongt

Yeah, I'll give you that. My fingers get a work out on a keyboard whenever I play Summoner or Scholar. not so much on my other jobs.

Aeana

What make SMN hardest DPS to play? I've seen this sentiment before, but not sure where it comes from. SMN "rotation" is extremely straight forward and amounts to keeping dots up all the time and actually using your cooldowns. Garuda barely needs management and can be treated as a 1min cooldown in most fights.

I would put SMN before the melee dps in that list, simply because melee have to deal with more crap than ranged and their rotations aren't any less complex. And no class/role has to deal with as much as healers do.
I don't know about hardest, but people sure do seem to have the most trouble maximizing SMN DPS. I see more SMN doing way less DPS than they should be than other DPS jobs. People tend to not manage their pet at all, clip dots, not use rouse/spur, etc.

Ken

Playing SMN isn't all that difficult but it is far more trickier to play when you use a controller and constantly have to play dances with the hotbars. Then it can become really really annoying.

so the root of your twin problems was a controller?

I don't know about hardest, but people sure do seem to have the most trouble maximizing SMN DPS. I see more SMN doing way less DPS than they should be than other DPS jobs. People tend to not manage their pet at all, clip dots, not use rouse/spur, etc.

SMN DPS is supposedly on par with mnk for highest dps, but i've only seen this with 1 SMN on ultros and they aren't in gaf

Wilsongt

I haven't personally encountered a lot of other summoners in parties and whatnot, so I can't speak for them. I just know that I always keep an eye on my DoTs and whenever they are about fade, I quickly reapply, and if Aetherflow is ready to be used again and I still have some stacks, I use my Fester and put Aetherflow on cooldown again immediately. It's not like you have to worry so much about MP management as a SMN.

Edit: If you're on summoner, and your cooldown abilities are sitting there unused for longer than a few seconds, you're doing it wrong, especially Rouse/Spur and Raging Strikes.

Aeana

SMN DPS is supposedly on par with mnk for highest dps, but i've only seen this with 1 SMN on ultros and they aren't in gaf
Odoru does really high DPS but whether he's at all close to Vero's MNK depends entirely on the encounter. Usually they aren't close, but he certainly can get there under the right circumstances.

BLCKATK

Woah super pumped for the patch. Just want to confirm, are tanks getting those new mounts this patch or on a later one? Cause they are awesome as hell and I can't wait to get both.

No, the problems with Twin is that most of the party goes into mass confusion when we hit Twisters phase. That and our ever revolving door at WHM which means we kinda have to start all over again when it comes to Twin practice.

But my dps does suffer quite a bit because I am constantly switching hotbars and sometimes if I get distracted while dodging something, I'll forget to switch which sometimes leads to trouble when I use something that I didn't want to use. I shudder to fear what my dps was in EM Titan last evening, probably like 100 something.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
No, the problems with Twin is that most of the party goes into mass confusion when we hit Twisters phase. That and our ever revolving door at WHM which means we kinda have to start all over again when it comes to Twin practice.

But my dps does suffer quite a bit because I am constantly switching hotbars and sometimes if I get distracted while dodging something, I'll forget to switch which sometimes leads to trouble when I use something that I didn't want to use. I shudder to fear what my dps was in EM Titan last evening, probably like 100 something.

Switching hotbars during twin sounds like a nightmare. For any DPS gated content, you should get a more efficient setup or you will drag your team down.

Aeana

Switching hotbars during twin sounds like a nightmare. For any DPS gated content, you should get a more efficient setup or you will drag your team down.
The slowdown would come from not being familiar enough with your hotbar setups and having to glance at them during battle. If you know which hotbar shortcut to press and what button the ability you want is on then it isn't any slower than one very quick intermediate keypress.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I find my DRG to be much more difficult than either tank class.

BRD PLD and BLM are the easiest followed closely by WAR.

I have no experience healing though, but I usually just tell our healers to "quit with the suck and press the heal button." That seems to get things rolling.

WolvenOne

Still kind of annoyed they opted for i100 on those. Does this mean Leviathan Extreme is harder than Twintania? idk.

Okay, I missed the Live Letter so I didn't hear. Do the weapons drop on Leviathan HM, or Levi EM?

If it's HM, then, yeah EM would almost certainly have to be harder then Twintania. Between that and Coil-2, seems we'll be getting a lot of Twin+ level difficulty bosses this patch.

I mean, it's possible the first few rounds of Coil 2 might be a little less difficult then Twin, but I'd be shocked if the last few turns weren't much harder.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

While it's true melee have to deal with more crap, and the SMN rotation is miles ahead of the DRG one from what I've seen; the DRG rotation is kinda long but it's second nature if you know what buffs are most important, and the lack of DOTs compared to SMN means you're not punished severely for slight screw ups in timing. The SMN has a pet to deal with as well, who he needs to micromanage for the best possible dps, and a fairly slow ramp-up time which makes switching targets a lot more of a pain than for DRG who can do decent burst damage even without Disembowel up. The only real hardship DRGs have to deal with is our magnetic attraction to cleaves, and the once in a blue moon occasion where our TP drops below 500.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, I missed the Live Letter so I didn't hear. Do the weapons drop on Leviathan HM, or Levi EM?

If it's HM, then, yeah EM would almost certainly have to be harder then Twintania. Between that and Coil-2, seems we'll be getting a lot of Twin+ level difficulty bosses this patch.

I mean, it's possible the first few rounds of Coil 2 might be a little less difficult then Twin, but I'd be shocked if the last few turns weren't much harder.

They didn't say but I assume it's Extreme since the ilevel requirement to go in there is i80.

WolvenOne

They didn't say but I assume it's Extreme since the ilevel requirement to go in there is i80.

Could see it going either way really. I mean, the weapons you got for dealing with Titan HM were, iLvl80, despite the fact that you only need iLvl57 level gear to be able to fight against.

So iLvl requirements don't appear to be the best method to determine the ilvl of the items that drop from the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom