• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

As a loyal Malestrom officer since 1.x, this flood of new recruits is simultaneously understandable (after all, Malestrom is the best GC and we have the coolest vanity gear, to boot) and baffling (why the mass switching now, surely it's not just because everyone has a good friend in Malestrom that they wanted to PvP with instead of against?).

Sophia

Ahahaha. I reported a free company for impersonating the GMs and in two days they were forced a name change. FFXIV's GMs are amazing.

Zomba13

As a loyal Malestrom officer since 1.x, this flood of new recruits is simultaneously understandable (after all, Malestrom is the best GC and we have the coolest vanity gear, to boot) and baffling (why the mass switching now, surely it's not just because everyone has a good friend in Malestrom that they wanted to PvP with instead of against?).

Maelstrom have better looking Allied Seal gear and seem to have the better PVP players.

elyetis

The better pvp players from maelstorm are doing quite poorly over there :

1406225474-gc.png

but they don't have me so it's understandable.

WolvenOne

Oh, right, been meaning to ask. Has anyone parsed out to see how much full wrath stacks offset the loss of DPS in Defiance? I mean, that's an additional 10% Crit when you have full Wrath stacks, and all.

WolvenOne

Oh, and there are more fight mechanics to XIV NM's than just zerging, these mechanics simply don't hold up when 200+ players show up to attack the same target.

A few have mechanics can can seemingly off-set zerg rushes. I regularly see bodies everywhere when Hellclaw is up for example, and the S-Rank in Mor Dhona has a mechanic that can keep it alive practically forever if people ignore it.

Taruranto

People has been asking for open world NM's since the beta, usually XI fans.

Because, like it or not, FFXI did a lot of things right. Like giving ppl a reason to explore the world, keeping gears and content relevant for years, CoP missions and dungeons...

It's not FFXI fans fault Yoshi doesn't understand what made certain mechanics work in FFXI (Hint: you couldn't teleport everywhere in 5 seconds in FFXI for example).

WolvenOne

Because, like it or not, FFXI did a lot of things right. Like giving ppl a reason to explore the world, keeping gears and content relevant for years, CoP missions and dungeons...

It's not FFXI fans fault Yoshi doesn't understand what made certain mechanics work in FFXI (Hint: you couldn't teleport everywhere in 5 seconds in FFXI for example).

You would need a muuuuuuuch bigger reward to make NM's worthwhile in XIV, if you had to run from zone to zone manually from each starting city.

I still insist that most the problems with XIV NM's is that the reward is too big for the amount of work being done, making it far more attractive an activity than anything else in the game. Balance out the reward a bit, so fewer players feel compelled to zerg NM's all-day every day, and the situation should improve a lot.

Granted, some of this will happen on its own, especially after they add Sands to CT2.

Sophia

You would need a muuuuuuuch bigger reward to make NM's worthwhile in XIV, if you had to run from zone to zone manually from each starting city.

I still insist that most the problems with XIV NM's is that the reward is too big for the amount of work being done, making it far more attractive an activity than anything else in the game. Balance out the reward a bit, so fewer players feel compelled to zerg NM's all-day every day, and the situation should improve a lot.

Granted, some of this will happen on its own, especially after they add Sands to CT2.

Yeah, balancing out the rewards would fix a lot of problems.

I want to know who on the development team thought the daily hunts were acceptable. The problem with their reward is immediately obvious. There is no reason or exucse they should have released in that manner. None whatsoever.

WolvenOne

Yeah, balancing out the rewards would fix a lot of problems.

I want to know who on the development team thought the daily hunts were acceptable. The problem with their reward is immediately obvious. There is no reason or exucse they should have released in that manner. None whatsoever.

Just because it's emotionally convenient, I'm going to assume it's the same person that designed the Atma quest.

Sophia

Just because it's emotionally convenient, I'm going to assume it's the same person that designed the Atma quest.

I'd believe it actually. It reeks of the same design issues. No regard for player skill or time invested, like most MMOs or even how FFXI did it. The worst part is they've let the issue run rampant with almost no attempt to fix it outside of the one emergency patch that increased HP. A few of my fellow Free Company members are obsessed with hunts to the point where they don't do anything else. I can't blame them, given how good the rewards are.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The colors aren't bad at least lol.

So you're saying we can expect you to be running around in it some day?

*edit*

Looked back at the Adder caster armor. I always thought it was green for some reason. I'm not even sure if I can disagree about the colors anymore.

WolvenOne

I'd believe it actually. It reeks of the same design issues. No regard for player skill or time invested, like most MMOs or even how FFXI did it. The worst part is they've let the issue run rampant with almost no attempt to fix it outside of the one emergency patch that increased HP. A few of my fellow Free Company members are obsessed with hunts to the point where they don't do anything else. I can't blame them, given how good the rewards are.

I myself enjoy hunts, but I don't want to do them every night of every week. I'll be satisfied with one sand per week.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So you're saying we can expect you to be running around in it some day?

*edit*

Looked back at the Adder caster armor. I always thought it was green for some reason. I'm not even sure if I can disagree about the colors anymore.

I'm not a caster, so no.

I think is a problem beyond whatever did XI right or wrong. The real problem is that, like it or not, XI and XIV are very different games, so shoehorning XI style content into XIV is gonna led to problems like this.

If ppl wnat XI features on XIV, they might as well search for other game to play. And the sooner YoshiP realises that, the sooner he can get the game back in the track.

WolvenOne

I think is a problem beyond whatever did XI right or wrong. The real problem is that, like it or not, XI and XIV are very different games, so shoehorning XI style content into XIV is gonna led to problems like this.

If ppl wnat XI features on XIV, they might as well search for other game to play. And the sooner YoshiP realises that, the sooner he can get the game back in the track.

Again, I don't think these Hunts can't work in this setting, they're quite fun once you're off peak hours. They just need to make them less attractive so zerging becomes a bit less common.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Or the sooner Yoshi remembers that BCNMs existed in XI and would work perfectly as Full Party Leves/Hests in XIV, he can make the adjustment. Because... there IS a full party guildhest in the game already! Ugh.

Did Yoshi play XI? It's somewhat baffling how many things could be carried over in XIV without turning into...what Hunts turned into. =)

Looking at how FATEs like Behemoth and Odin worked and how the Hunt system is currently turning out, I guess it's a good thing they never implemented those open world primals that Free Companies were supposed to compete against each other for... I remember thinking that was going to be a really cool feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom