• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

ibtFbUOZttwEQg.jpg

Watching that upload of the Q&A session and thinking about Heavensward and the next "big upheaval", we've come a long way...

Damn, you've been around since then?

It's a legitimate description of those who are preoccupied with looking good in a virtual world. Because internet armor is serious business.

If for a lot of people vanity is important, then let them spend real money on it. Ultimately for cosmetic items it boils down to two methods of expenditure:
1. Spend money (subscription) and time (in-game crafting, farming, etc.) to get the item.
2. Spend money (subscription) and time (earning real world money to pay cash shop) to get the item.

The level 50 crafter has two possible reasons for crafting an Inferno Book: one for vanity, the other for gil. However, he could also be crafting because he enjoys the activity, the challenge, or the prospects of making gil to finance a different activity. The journey can be more fun than the end result. Moreover, level 50 crafters are not obligated to make Inferno Books to enjoy crafting, enjoy the challenge, or make gil. The Inferno Book has never been a best in slot weapon, and therefore is not required for progression.

CT's purpose was to provide an additional piece of higher level gear for those who were behind or who would want to gear up alternative jobs. Rightfully, Yoship said as a sidenote "you can do it for vanity"—because that's a bonus, not a necessity.

In other words, for vain people obviously the material reward is the "whole point of some things", because they can't fathom how they could possibly have fun doing something, they can only fathom how they can enjoy wearing a glamour in a virtual world, and how such enjoyment is cheapened by a cash shop that serves cosmetic items.

Why yes, I gardened so that other people could get minions, because I wasn't feeding my own petty desires but the petty desires of others, and because I enjoyed gardening. Sorry gardening was such a chore for you. Too bad you can only summon one minion at a time to show off.

glamour/minions/mounts/bardings is serious business if look at how much time people spend in aquiring it. it's part of this games core design. we have quest chains dedicated to useless items. minions, mounts, glamour. look at those beast tribe quests. this game is very stingy with giving people power to grow their character. ex dungeons are littered with glamour items. frontlines biggest draw is glamour and a mount. hunts have a crazy expensive glamour set. i've seen people hunting for weeks just to get those sets. i'm sure people are still hunting today to get everything.

coil 6-8 also pretty much turned into a glamour dungeon after the hunts patch. weeks later the same happened with nexus. once you reach a power cap, all you have left to do is the hunt for useless items. the power cap is very easy to reach, especially for successful raiders. i'm aware not everyone is part of a super raiding team. in that case, it's easier to reach your personal power cap. what will you do in this game then, cancel sub? no, some will start hunting those items "for fun".

gotta say it's shitty what they did with those event items as well. i always felt they were there for dedicated players. you're there for the event or you aren't.

Teknoman

Damn, you've been around since then?

Yup. I think i've probably got some GAF XIV Alpha shots around too. Keeps stuff in perspective. Alot of us have been around since then, seeing the game change up. On that note, i'm guessing those that have been playing 2.0 since day 1 have felt like that with Revenant's Toll. Looking at it now, you'd never know it was just some random planks and some people standing around cooking beans.

Silent brag about noticing Dalamud before everyone else.

You know it! :p

But seriously, it would've been nice if they didnt show us exactly whats going to happen to Ishgard to usher in the expansion. More and more dragon type enemies randomly spawning in Coerthas, with a few simple models high in the sky here and there at random times would've been nice. Gradually increasing until Heavensward.

iammeiam

DF Levi wins again, defeating my group at full echo after 57 minutes. One of the people in my party was a bard that never used Wind Bite and kept spamming Rain of Death/Wide Volley on the tail (A DIFFERENT BARD, NOT ME, NO CLEVER REMARKS THX.) Game needs to let me see /played so I could tell if he was trolling or just didn't know better. Also needs to have a tutorial on the best way to ask people WTF they are doing.

gotta say it's shitty what they did with those event items as well. i always felt they were there for dedicated players. you're there for the event or you aren't.

I'm bummed about the event items because I'd been freeloading old event items off the returned events. I missed the Lightning event twice and yet today am still the fashion nightmare that is gold-plated Lightning and didn't have to trade real dollars for the honor. The cash shop switch seems more like it could be a penalty for not being dedicated enough to play since launch--no more vanity catchup when events roll around again.

It's literally assigning a monetary value to some stuff long-term players have; they're less exclusive, I guess, but getting them the first time means you get to enjoy something less dedicated have to spend actual cash on.

chrono01

What's most exciting about Final Coil is that "GoD" is the one doing the boss encounters. Yes, the same guy who did Titan EX.

I look forward to it.

Tabris

Least with Titan EX, if someone fucked, they just died instead of entire party.

I don't like the removed from fight mechanics of Titan and Levi though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What's most exciting about Final Coil is that "GoD" is the one doing the boss encounters. Yes, the same guy who did Titan EX.

I look forward to it.

SCOB was the same.
Which means that the final battle will probably again consist of sharp phase changes that have hardly anything to do with each other.

chrono01

Least with Titan EX, if someone fucked, they just died instead of entire party.
True.

Not like Petrification in Turn 7.

SCOB was the same.
Which means that the final battle will probably again consist of sharp phase changes that have hardly anything to do with each other.
Oh, he did Second Coil too? I didn't know that.

Well, I do enjoy all of the encounters, so it's still a "win" for me.

Tabris

So my group has been in the thick of things for T9 learning for the last 3 weeks really. We had some time before but it was never serious, but has been last 3 weeks.

And honestly, I've really enjoyed it. T9 you always feel like you're making progress. Like each phase becomes much easier after. Or even the phases within the phase. And you always seem to make progress each practice.

When we were learning T7, I was frustrated as all hell because we would wipe at the beginning phase just as often, if not more than the last phases. The feeling of progression wasn't there in T7.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So my group has been in the thick of things for T9 learning for the last 3 weeks really. We had some time before but it was never serious, but has been last 3 weeks.

And honestly, I've really enjoyed it. T9 you always feel like you're making progress. Like each phase becomes much easier after. Or even the phases within the phase. And you always seem to make progress each practice.

When we were learning T7, I was frustrated as all hell because we would wipe at the beginning phase just as often, if not more than the last phases. The feeling of progression wasn't there in T7.

That thunderstruck tho...

chrono01

Yeah, Turn 9 is definitely my favorite fight of Second Coil. It's tuned pretty well.

It's a good thing too, since I'll likely be farming it quite a bit to fill out my static's High Allagan weapon [no more Books, please...].

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, Turn 9 is definitely my favorite fight of Second Coil. It's tuned pretty well.

It's a good thing too, since I'll likely be farming it quite a bit to fill out my static's High Allagan weapon [no more Books, please...].

Sword
Axe
Cane

Let's go :0

Oh, and bard coat.

chrono01

Sword
Axe
Cane

Let's go :0

Oh, and bard coat.
I will prepare my mind
for book, after book...after staff, after book...

Also, those High Allagan Boots of Casting [I know, not exactly "needed", but as you said it's the principal of the thing!].

I can get those on my own, though, similar to what I did for my Allagan Coat of Casting from First Coil. I'm not going to waste valuable static raid time on something like that, unless someone else needs an item from Turn 6.

But yes, next week! That unlock, finally. :eek:

Tabris

Oh. Yeah. We're still learning phase 4. No reason to get frustrated or mad there. For some it takes a bit more time. I should have called it earlier so my bad too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I will prepare my mind

Also, those High Allagan Boots of Casting [I know, not exactly "needed", but as you said it's the principal of the thing!].

I can get those on my own, though, similar to what I did for my Allagan Coat of Casting from First Coil. I'm not going to waste valuable static raid time on something like that, unless someone else needs an item from Turn 6.

Luckily T6 should be the easiest one to pug... maybe.

Ken

I will prepare my mind

Na, I need stuff from 6 too. And Raff is like 5 minute fight anyways :eek:

chrono01

Luckily T6 should be the easiest one to pug... maybe.
Yep.

What worries me, though, is that I've always done it the "briar/burn boss" method, so if they do it any other way [which is likely], I might feel a bit...lost. I understand the concept for the LOS/add method(s), though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

...Maybe...

Na, I need stuff from 6 too. And Raff is like 5 minute fight anyways :eek:
And Ken with the save!

Tabris

Yep.

What worries me, though, is that I've always done it the "briar/burn boss" method, so if they do it any other way [which is likely], I might feel a bit...lost. I understand the concept for the LOS/add method(s), though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

...Maybe...

Edit: And Ken with the save!

I'm opposite. Never did briar method. Did add method before we had enough dps to burn.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Geez I hope with the exp. pack the improve cutscene direction and (en) voice acting because both were delivered terribly in the base game. Blizzard has been able to constatly improve both elements moving forward, so I hope they do something along that with this game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Geez I hope with the exp. pack the improve cutscene direction and (en) voice acting because both were delivered terribly in the base game. Blizzard has been able to constatly improve both elements moving forward, so I hope they do something along that with this game.

SE has been poor with English VA direction for a long time now.

chrono01

I'm opposite. Never did briar method. Did add method before we had enough dps to burn.
Yeah, from the streams I've watched, it seems most people do a re-arrangement of the two [briar and feeding/killing the adds]. The feeding/killing of the add method is definitely the intended solution, but burning the boss works well for us thankfully, so it makes that fight even more efficient.

I can't help but remember what it was like when we first encountered Rafflesia. Granted it didn't take us too long to kill it, but those first few pulls...

I'm still picking out the thorns from my sensitive areas.

chrono01

Soken playing Ifrit and Leviathan themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAZA1innrM&feature=youtu.be

Man I wish I got to see this. Would have loved to jam out to these tracks. The music for this game is some of my favorite.
To be honest, the concert will probably be what makes me purchase the Tokyo Fan Fest Stream once it becomes available.

I'll pass on the London one, but if Soken was telling the truth and they perform the Shiva theme during the Tokyo event, well...they'll have my money.

[Plus, it will be near the Holidays, so I can view it as treating myself to something special.]

So I finally got a copy of the game for PS4. I'm on Goblin, names Ramaza Unicorn-Ramaza from the unicorn server of FF11 >.>

ANYWHO....I've been playing for 4-5 hrs straight and on the final hour before maint. it just kept constantly booting me from server, while simultaneously proceeding to boot me from party chat, forcing me to restart the whole system. I could only stay logged in for maybe 5-10mins at a time. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried opening all the recommended ports for shits and giggles to see if it'd help and so far no it has not ><

Looking for any advice because this'll be kind of annoying and dangerous to parties if I tank. I'm currently a lv 13 MNK but a plan on doing WAR in the future. I have an Arris combined Modem/router and Brighthouse as my ISP if that helps.

Talaysen

Yep.

As someone who started in a group that did briar/burn and switched to a group that did briarless/slug, it really wasn't that hard to change. Knowing how to do it in theory and maybe a few attempts is probably all it will take.

After a few weeks everyone will switch to burn anyway. dat echo/gear

Ken

By the way, Amazon Japan has the FFXIV artbook for $30 and around $11 shipping. It'll likely be cheaper than what SE will offer it for on their own store considering they charged $40 at fan fest: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4757544618/

I got mine today. It's a pretty high quality book with art for content up to 2.38. The only 2.4 stuff is a few bits for NIN and the Shiva design.

All the designer notes are translated in English.

BLCKATK

I got mine today. It's a pretty high quality book with art for content up to 2.38. The only 2.4 stuff is a few bits for NIN and the Shiva design.

Does it have all the artwork for everything coil related? Some of the concepts that have been shown on the net are absolutely beautiful. If I could get my hands on more of that artwork I'd be glad to shell out the cash.

Ken

Does it have all the artwork for everything coil related? Some of the concepts that have been shown on the net are absolutely beautiful. If I could get my hands on more of that artwork I'd be glad to shell out the cash.

There's a concept art piece for each Coil1 stage plus Bahamut's head (shrunk down so 6 pieces are on two pages, unfortunately), and one page for both Outer Coil and Outer Decks. Not a whole lot. :(

There's a few pages of concept art for Allagan weapons, gear, and the bosses. So yeah, in a way they do touch on almost all of Coil, even down to the treasure chests (although I didn't see Dalamud's Shadow and the Holocharts) but probably not in the capacity you're looking for.

Oh, I don't see Melusine either lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I finally got a copy of the game for PS4. I'm on Goblin, names Ramaza Unicorn-Ramaza from the unicorn server of FF11 >.>

ANYWHO....I've been playing for 4-5 hrs straight and on the final hour before maint. it just kept constantly booting me from server, while simultaneously proceeding to boot me from party chat, forcing me to restart the whole system. I could only stay logged in for maybe 5-10mins at a time. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried opening all the recommended ports for shits and giggles to see if it'd help and so far no it has not ><

Looking for any advice because this'll be kind of annoying and dangerous to parties if I tank. I'm currently a lv 13 MNK but a plan on doing WAR in the future. I have an Arris combined Modem/router and Brighthouse as my ISP if that helps.

It's not usually like this so don't worry too much. A good amount of people on our server were getting disconnected too.

Is there a reason you chose Goblin? Most of us are on Ultros.

Man I wish I got to see this. Would have loved to jam out to these tracks. The music for this game is some of my favorite.

Agreed. I love the orchestral stuff more. That would have been too hard to pull off. Would have been nice to hear a hard rock version of "Torn from the Heavens".

I was really hoping to hear the tribal drums at the start of Levi. Bummed we couldn't get that at least.

Munba

London Streaming Access:
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3db5eaaee36a9c3b7a60b51237be077a1a581815

It seems very interesting as events.

10:30 – 12:00: Opening Ceremony / Keynote (Premium Stream Only)
13:00 – 14:00: Q&A with the development team
14:15 – 15:00: Live Q&A with special guest
16:00 – 17:00: Trailer Developer Panel
17:10 – 17:40: Live interview with special guests
18:00 – 19:00: Costume Contest
20:00 – 21:00: Closing Ceremony (Premium Stream Only)

Trailer? :eek:

Ken

London Streaming Access:
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3db5eaaee36a9c3b7a60b51237be077a1a581815

It seems very interesting as events.

10:30 – 12:00: Opening Ceremony / Keynote (Premium Stream Only)
13:00 – 14:00: Q&A with the development team
14:15 – 15:00: Live Q&A with special guest
16:00 – 17:00: Trailer Developer Panel
17:10 – 17:40: Live interview with special guests
18:00 – 19:00: Costume Contest
20:00 – 21:00: Closing Ceremony (Premium Stream Only)

Trailer? :eek:

Trailer Developer :/

Trailer Developer :/

Would assume it's just going to be them explaining what goes into making each of the patches trailers and why they choose what they choose for what is shown. Sounds really boring but at the same time I wouldn't expect them to have an actual trailer for the expac just yet that they would talk about for an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom