• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Not even going to check it but assume it's Chaos Wars.

Yup, Chaos Wars. Poster boy of bottom barrel VAs.
Like they had to pull random people off the street and give them a poorly scribbled script.

wow that....effort lol...

I refuse to believe thats not a fan dub comedy video. Thats just...lol wow.

Even if you arent a skilled VA, you can get the general idea of whats going on in a script and probably get some kinda feeling.

WolvenOne

Torn on whether to spend 20 on the London Fanfest stream next friday, or not. On one hand, really want that info on the new job,and I'd love to hear a Rendition of Answers by Calloway. (Or conversely, maybe a rendition of the expansions main theme, from the teaser trailer? eh?)

However, twenty dollars is a lot, especially when you consider that the stream will probably be rebroadcast by some user or another.

Wouldn't hesitate at all if it was both the London and Tokyo fanfest streams for 20.

I feel like the Euros got the short end of the stick, how come their Fan Fest is only 1 day? Maybe they only sold half the tickets they did for NA but that Odin line was ridiculous at NA on both days, I can't imagine compressing that into just one day.

WolvenOne

I feel like the Euros got the short end of the stick, how come their Fan Fest is only 1 day? Maybe they only sold half the tickets they did for NA but that Odin line was ridiculous at NA on both days, I can't imagine compressing that into just one day.

Odin line drove me absolutely nutty. Only stood through it once, as sore as I was, the t-shirt wouldn't have been worth me standing another 2 to 4 hours in line.

Felt like they needed another 3-4 rows worth of machines.

iammeiam

Debating premium (so so bad with money) but the keynote is at like 2:30 in the morning.

Might still be worth it if the sound mixing on the concert is better this time.

Reknoc

well on the bright side it means they don't have to deal with london for very long

WolvenOne

Debating premium (so so bad with money) but the keynote is at like 2:30 in the morning.

Might still be worth it if the sound mixing on the concert is better this time.

Oh, wow, 3:30 AM for me. :\

Yeah, no. I'll probably be awake for the closing event, but there's no way I'll be awake for the opening event, which has all the relevant information I want.

Tabris

More proof that people have you on their /blist

Too bad there wasn't the ability to make your character model disappear on screen instead of just text. I would totally do that so I wouldn't have to look at the pink & gold cat freak in the corner of my screen :)

Jayhawk

Maybe Soken's complaints about the sound mixing for the stream will result in improvement for the London Fan Fest. I'll probably spend the money on the London premium stream just because why not?

Source for below: http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/21/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Gamer Escape: It was announced that Ninja would be using monk gear, but it was also said that it would be using dexterity as a primary stat. Isn’t the main stat on monk gear strength? How do you see this working?

Y: (After checking) Up to level 50, if you happen to have it, you are able to equip the fighter gear. Up to level 50 it is not job specific gear, so as long as you have fighter gear you will be OK, since they have both dexterity and strength. Beyond level 50, for example, the Fuma set from the Crystal Tower, and on that the dexterity attribute is already attached, so you be be able to use that. From 2.4 there will be new specific level 50+ gear that has the dexterity attribute attached so you won’t be conflicting with the Monk’s gear. Each will have their own specific sets of gear.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. I was hoping they'd keep sharing monk gear, and Dark Knight would share DRG gear in the expansion etc. As it is it's just going to bloat the Coil 3 loot tables even more. I guess at least Dex accessories won't need to go to the void as often!

Jayhawk

A lot of other good questions in that same article, including a gardening question for Drama! The limitations Yoshida mentioned on character data storage has me interested in their back-end design in terms of size versus response time, as this is a subject I deal with as a software engineer.

scy

Yeah, I assumed he meant leveling gear won't be Ninja specific stuff. Well, that or a hilarious troll.

So I guess the tooltip will just be reworded from DEX works for Ranged Attacks to piercing attacks. Or ... Ninjas won't be piercing and then it'll just be weird.

Time for the DRG/NIN/BRD synergy trinity!

iammeiam

Maybe Soken's complaints about the sound mixing for the stream will result in improvement for the London Fan Fest. I'll probably spend the money on the London premium stream just because why not?

Source for below: http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/21/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

That interview also mentions that wedding ceremonies are set up to take two hours. who wants to spend two hours watching people get e-married? Fifteen minutes would get tedious after the first few, two hours is insane.

Jayhawk

That interview also mentions that wedding ceremonies are set up to take two hours. who wants to spend two hours watching people get e-married? Fifteen minutes would get tedious after the first few, two hours is insane.

Weddings in FFXI were pretty fun as a spectator, even though they were long. Imagine my glamour style in the FFXI world as a male hume. I've seen you spend two hours doing nothing in The Mist. Transfer that state into a wedding reception.

Best Yoshida quote:

It is part of my job to break the mold on some of these weird Square Enix rules.

Sorian

Banned
Too bad there wasn't the ability to make your character model disappear on screen instead of just text. I would totally do that so I wouldn't have to look at the pink & gold cat freak in the corner of my screen :)

How gaudy. Only a fool would do pink and gold at the same time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Since they obviously failed to implement the pretty dress from Yoshida's (the other Yoshida) artwork and settled for some kinda boring gown my interest in marriage has plummeted to the ground. Kinda disappointed.

WolvenOne

Damn. I was hoping they'd keep sharing monk gear, and Dark Knight would share DRG gear in the expansion etc. As it is it's just going to bloat the Coil 3 loot tables even more. I guess at least Dex accessories won't need to go to the void as often!

Sounds like they'll be moving to a Token system after the expansion anyway.

Which is probably a darn good thing. Even with some cross class equipment, gearing up 11-12 classes with the current drop system would be a nightmare. Heck, it'll probably take most of a raid cycle, even with a token system.

WolvenOne

Ideally they'll offer more, uh, wedding glamour, in the future. Personally, I have no real interest in that feature, but I guess I can see why others would be.

BadRNG

Gamer Escape: It was announced that Ninja would be using monk gear, but it was also said that it would be using dexterity as a primary stat. Isn’t the main stat on monk gear strength? How do you see this working?

Y: (After checking) Up to level 50, if you happen to have it, you are able to equip the fighter gear. Up to level 50 it is not job specific gear, so as long as you have fighter gear you will be OK, since they have both dexterity and strength. Beyond level 50, for example, the Fuma set from the Crystal Tower, and on that the dexterity attribute is already attached, so you be be able to use that. From 2.4 there will be new specific level 50+ gear that has the dexterity attribute attached so you won’t be conflicting with the Monk’s gear. Each will have their own specific sets of gear.
Did no one feel like pointing out to Yoshida that Fuma doesn't have dexterity?

Sounds like they are going back and adding DEX to old MNK gear, and I'm just kinda confused as to why any of this is necessary. Wouldn't it be simpler just to have them use STR, instead of changing how stats work/adding them to old gear? It begins to make even less sense if they don't share gear with BRD later on, as that just adds another piece of gear to their already way too big drop tables.

Also the expansion of available player data coming in 3.0 confirms in my mind the budget issues they've had up until now, and their success giving them more leeway moving forward.

Teremap

Banned
Yuuuuup.

I personally never understood the complaints about XIV's voice acting. It works for me! ...With the exception of Papalymo. His voice never sat right with me. In fact, I think Koji Fox could have done a better job voicing him than Steve Staley (sorry, Staley, nothing personal). He certainly does a good job with the moogles!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Sounds like they are going back and adding DEX to old MNK gear, and I'm just kinda confused as to why any of this is necessary. Wouldn't it be simpler just to have them use STR, instead of changing how stats work/adding them to old gear? It begins to make even less sense if they don't share gear with BRD later on, as that just adds another piece of gear to their already way too big drop tables.

Also the expansion of available player data coming in 3.0 confirms in my mind the budget issues they've had up until now, and their success giving them more leeway moving forward.

Did you see their answer on coil loot tables... basically they won't change it until the expansion @_@.

The whole point of Ninja using DEX as primary stat is to give 2 classes DEX primary though. Until now only Bard was DEX primary. There are already 2 deeps classes with STR primary, monk and dragoon. We don't need a 3rd. I can see a scenario where Ninja and Bard share some gear at endgame, in a similar manner to how the tanks, healers, and the melee deeps share some gear especially accessories.

Reusing the old MNK gear is a bit odd though, a new class should get new gear sets from top to bottom otherwise leveling up Ninja will be kind of dumb with reusing old gear instead of getting new gear.

That pretty much confirms what I posted earlier about gear prior to 2.4 that is STR based getting DEX added to them. The Fuma set doesn't currently have DEX, so that means they will be adding it to that and other similar sets (e.g. Gloam). Everything in 2.4 and up will have DEX based gear specific for Ninja. I'm glad Ninja isn't sharing gear with Monk (post 2.4) and is DEX based. STR based doesn't make sense.

aceface

You better not e-snub myself and Choco's wedding! I'll e-disown you!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That pretty much confirms what I posted earlier about gear prior to 2.4 that is STR based getting DEX added to them. The Fuma set doesn't currently have DEX, so that means they will be adding it to that and other similar sets (e.g. Gloam). Everything in 2.4 and up will have DEX based gear specific for Ninja. I'm glad Ninja isn't sharing gear with Monk (post 2.4) and is DEX based. STR based doesn't make sense.

This sounds kinda unnecessarily convoluted.

Teremap

Banned
Reusing the old MNK gear is a bit odd though, a new class should get new gear sets from top to bottom otherwise leveling up Ninja will be kind of dumb with reusing old gear instead of getting new gear.
All the Disciple of War classes share the exact same gear from 1-49 (with lancers getting access to chain/scale and tanks getting plate on top of that). It's only at level 50 that a split happens.

BadRNG

The whole point of Ninja using DEX as primary stat is to give 2 classes DEX primary though. Until now only Bard was DEX primary. There are already 2 deeps classes with STR primary, monk and dragoon. We don't need a 3rd. I can see a scenario where Ninja and Bard share some gear at endgame, in a similar manner to how the tanks, healers, and the melee deeps share some gear especially accessories.

Why does there need to be two classes using DEX? If that was really their goal why not just add whatever the gun class is from Limsa. Stats just seem so arbitrary now outside of VIT/PIE, they should just change them from "affects x" to "main stat of x" at this point if this is the route they are going.

If they had actually come out with the token system this patch I could maybe understand the loot argument, as it could be something like DEX token, STR token, VIT token, etc and every one would get two. But they aren't doing that, and instead of sharing with MNK left and both melee dps right side we get a whole bunch of new items to clog up the chests.

A lot of the old pgl/arc gear matches rogue style fine, and they will get NIN AF like normal, I'm not too surprised there for leveling gear.

This sounds kinda unnecessarily convoluted.
Basically.

Did you see their answer on coil loot tables... basically they won't change it until the expansion @_@.
Yeah, I know, so dumb. I'm guessing everything up until expansion is basically set in stone at this point and they can't be arsed to change it.

Sorian

Banned
All the Disciple of War classes share the exact same gear from 1-49 (with only Lancers getting access to scale/chainmail - they're an outlier here). It's only at level 50 that a split happens.

This isn't 100% true. There is some tank only gear and some gear that excludes monk only.

Reknoc

Didn't want to log in until the update after I had finished with seasonal but I thought I would be better catching up with the story now but these quests are slowly sapping my will to live

As Yoshi P said, most classes already share a lot of the leveling and dungeon gear from 1-50 and the majority of that gear has multiple primary attributes attached. Ninja will also get i55 AF and likely to get it's own i90 AF also. While it would be nice to have themed lower level gear for Rogue/Ninja, you level so quickly that it's probably not worth spending the resources at this time, and not having specific Crystal Tower gear isn't too bad since most of that gear will be obsolete in 2.4 anyway.

Teremap

Banned
Why does there need to be two classes using DEX? If that was really their goal why not just add whatever the gun class is from Limsa.
Because they decided they wanted a stealth class, hence Rogue. Nothing complicated about this.

Stats just seem so arbitrary now outside of VIT/PIE, they should just change them from "affects x" to "main stat of x" at this point if this is the route they are going.
Basically, yeah, that's probably what'll happen.

If they had actually come out with the token system this patch I could maybe understand the loot argument, as it could be something like DEX token, STR token, VIT token, etc and every one would get two. But they aren't doing that, and instead of sharing with MNK left and both melee dps right side we get a whole bunch of new items to clog up the chests.

A lot of the old pgl/arc gear matches rogue style fine, and they will get NIN AF like normal, I'm not too surprised there for leveling gear.
Right side will be shared with BRD, not sure why you mention that.

But yeah, the chests are gonna be a pain. That's just fine for them - they want to keep people chasing them carrots, after all.

Yeah, I know, so dumb. I'm guessing everything up until expansion is basically set in stone at this point and they can't be arsed to change it.
Yup.

But at least they finally nerfed Atma!

WolvenOne

Incidentally, this is what I'm hoping for, for the expansion, in terms of classes.

Four Battle Classes, specifically

• 1 Tank Class
  • 1 Melee DPS class
  • 1 Caster/Range DPS class
  • 1 Healer Class
Two new Gathering Classes

NO new crafting classes!

The last thing they want to do is make it so people have to level up even more crafting classes, just to repair their own gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom