• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

MCH sounds interesting, sure.

But where are the King/Queen/Knight turrets. :/

Well, I guess Queen might be the Orbital Laser since it can only go in a straight line.

Semper88

Oh.. did not know this yet, Flare and Holy are nerfed by cutting % dmg depending how many mobs are hit!? bye bye speed running with BLM/WHM haha.

CHvJ0tGUEAAN7HZ.jpg:large

Klyka

Banned
I didn't even finish my legendary weapon or what not. Two pieces of item level 90 gear. I finished the original story and defeated some bosses on hard. I only played from release and then off and on over the next four or five months.

oh your relic weapon doesnt matter,it's not like you need that. it's just a prestige thingie for people to grind a lot.

Well if you finished the original story, then that's great! It means you have the patch story left to go, which is, as someone said before, a nice chunk of hours of content, with new primals to defeat, a new dungeon to beat and (in my opinion) some really cool story stuff to happen.
If you play through that from now on, it should give you the proper item lvl items you need to do any content coming at you. Honestly,the item lvl requirements for the story stuff aren't even that high and you should be able to do lots of the other content that would be new for you,like the Crystal Tower raids and all the new hard mode dungeons and such without a problem :D

Both me and two friends jumped back into the game two months ago, starting at item lvl 50-53 and by now with just playing every couple days or so we are all item lvl 105 without any grinding at all :D

glaurung

Guys, a quick (stupid) question that I am sure has been answered already. Actually, two.
  1. I have a lv50 summoner. When I log on post-patch, can I immediately start grinding for new levels or do I need to go through some gated content first?
  2. I know that machinist is a level 30 job. But how do I get it? Quest line?
I've had the PC Heavensward pre-ordered since March of something.

Ken

Another spell change:

So much for using Lustrate in cleric stance.

Riperoni

Guys, a quick (stupid) question that I am sure has been answered already. Actually, two.
  1. I have a lv50 summoner. When I log on post-patch, can I immediately start grinding for new levels or do I need to go through some gated content first?
  2. I know that machinist is a level 30 job. But how do I get it? Quest line?
I've had the PC Heavensward pre-ordered since March of something.

1. Level cap will most likely be lifted without needing to do anything, hence the addition of XP to pre-3.0 level 50 MSQs.
2. MCH unlock quest just needs completion of 2.x MSQ and a trip into Ishgard.

Tash

WTF about that lustrate change?!

I can't even...what? Why?! Wow, seriously pissed now..
So everyone gets cool new spells and we got a fucking nerf so we actually HAVE to kill our fairy to get more healing potency because they butchered a spell that was completely ok to make SCH more mechanical? Ok, thanks. AST here I come.

I also hate that this is again - another change that makes is more into a reactive healer than a pro-active one since it means we have to think about direct heals buff with sacrificing fairies. I am really not happy with all those SCH changes :/
Maybe I am overreacting and not understanding wth they are thinking (which might very well be the case) but for now I am really disheartened about my job past 50 and with all the incoming changes.

Ken

So everyone gets cool new spells and we got a fucking nerf so we actually HAVE to kill our fairy to get more healing potency because they butchered a spell that was completely ok to make SCH more mechanical? Ok, thanks. AST here I come.

More like they're just trying to keep Cleric Stance in check, IMO,

Semper88

I also hate that this is again - another change that makes is more into a reactive healer than a pro-active one since it means we have to think about direct heals buff with sacrificing fairies. I am really not happy with all those SCH changes :/
Maybe I am overreacting and not understanding wth they are thinking (which might very well be the case) but for now I am really disheartened about my job past 50 and with all the incoming changes.

The rage.. haha

Ken

Lustrate was always a reactive heal though...

Tash

I am aware about the cleric stance issue but seriously? That didn't warrant a total mechanic change. It means we lost a hell of a lot of MT healing potency. Not to mention it will also be affected by healing debuffs now and we basically have an instant cast heal that is slightly lower potency than cure 2 but need to use a stack for.

The fact that we need to use a stack for it was always making up for the %. I mean if the increased HP is an issue they could easily have just lowered the % it heals. Not to mention, every other healer is getting more DD output.

Yeah, I sorry, that was bad wording on my part. It was a general remark because it makes me feel like they are turning SCH into a reactive healer. There is nothing really that would strengthen our spot as mitigation healer. There could have been so much more cool stuff they could have done instead of just adding more aoe heals and useless spells (Broil, Dissipation) that really don't add anything to the job as a whole. I guess I am disappointed they are muddling all the healing jobs together now instead of having each of them maintain a very strong identity.

edit: yeah, the nerd rage is strong in me - it's my italian blood, sorry :p

Semper88

Its funny :D

I see your point tho, its a game changer but i think thats what they are going for this expansion anyway.

What FC are you in these days?

Ken

I am aware about the cleric stance issue but seriously? That didn't warrant a total mechanic change. It means we lost a hell of a lot of MT healing potency. Not to mention it will also be affected by healing debuffs now and we basically have an instant cast heal that is slightly lower potency than cure 2 but need to use a stack for.

The fact that we need to use a stack for it was always making up for the %. I mean if the increased HP is an issue they could easily have just lowered the % it heals. Not to mention, every other healer is getting more DD output.

Yeah, I sorry, that was bad wording on my part. It was a general remark because it makes me feel like they are turning SCH into a reactive healer. There is nothing really that would strengthen our spot as mitigation healer. There could have been so much more cool stuff they could have done instead of just adding more aoe heals and useless spells (Broil, Dissipation) that really don't add anything to the job as a whole. I guess I am disappointed they are muddling all the healing jobs together now instead of having each of them maintain a very strong identity.

edit: yeah, the nerd rage is strong in me - it's my italian blood, sorry :p

Yeah, I posted yesterday that SCH definitely seems to be shifted a bit towards the reactive side seemingly to fill WHM holes, but it's not like they got rid of Adlo, Succor, Sacred Soil, and Supervirus.

And I don't know, the instant cast for such a high potency heal always made up for the stack cost, but I say this as a WHM jealous of Lustrates who Benedictions for 1200 HP...or less!

Ken

Maybe it just works better at i170 with scaling than i170 with % based? Perhaps we'll learn something at the live letter.

Reddit also brings up a good point in that it bypassed some mechanics like Ramuh, and can also crit heal now.

Tash

Its funny :D

I see your point tho, its a game changer but i think thats what they are going for this expansion anyway.

What FC are you in these days?

A small group of friends (and our static) split from PM because we started to not know people and it felt very quiet and non social the past few month (our fault as well, though). So we have our own new FC now and worked on ranking it up for Heavensward :)

The idea is to have a very friendly, social but committed FC that is very active in TS.

BadRNG

Holy shit at the Lustrate change. That is an insane nerf. RIP SCH.

In other news:

New game watch interview with YoshiP is up here. Not going to translate the whole thing, I'm sure BG will have it up at some point, but here is some interesting stuff he talks about
I know none of you will read this
:

On the story:

Interviewer asks if the player/Warrior of Light will receive more development. Yoshi mentions that there are still many mysteries about the WoL, like why Hydaelyn chose you, and we can expect to hear more about that. He also touches upon the subject of the player being forced to be an observer of sorts in regards to the plot, and explains that they have basic guidelines in place on how they handle the player's interaction with characters. Since the WoL is created by the player, the personality the individual player imagines could be quite different from how they imagine it, so they try not to force a personality on to the player.

That said, he also acknowledges that there have been a lot of complaints in this area, both in terms of showing little emotion and not really acting on their own, so in 3.0 on they are trying to be more considerate of that aspect as much as possible (while still adhering to the previous rule)

At the end/level 60, there will be a proper conclusion to the main plot of 3.0 much like there was in 2.0, complete with credits. He also mentions that the amount of cutscenes and voiced dialogue is overall higher than ARR's.

There's some dark fantasy aspects to the story, with the player finding himself caught up in the bloody Dragonsong war that has been taking place for 1000 years, wondering which side he can trust, the origins of the war, how Ishgard's origin and legends play into it.

Of course, the Uldah storyline along with the political impact amongst the three GCs will be part of it. The final aspect of the story will be the renewed invasion efforts of the Empire. These three story elements will tied together as the overall plot. He says you won't be in Ishgard the whole time either, you will have to return to the rest of the world at certain key moments.

Finally, the interviewer asks about if there could be some romance elements in the story, as that kind of thing is pretty popular amongst players. YoshiP shoots that down, citing the various difficulties that'd create for the developers due to the MMO format. He also jokes that a lot of the developers are shy, or old men, and it's hard for a bunch of old guys to depict a good love story.

Alisaie won't feature in the Alexander plot, a new character will be introduced.

On the gameplay:

Talks about the difficulty of balancing all the jobs amongst each other, restating what he's said before about not wanting any single job to be required. With the new skills they have been thinking more about how each job can contribute to the party, and are trying to equalize it a bit, giving everyone some utility to make them useful. They've spent a lot of time learning from how the players actually use jobs and their special individual traits. In particular they mention in FCOB how important Dragon Kick became, so players began to think a MNK was required, and in the future they want to be more mindful of those scenarios (to prevent them)

Ravana and Bismark HM modes will be a bit harder than the previous hard modes we got in the 2.1 on patches. Basically, while there is some desire to make them easily clearable in one or two attempts, at the same time several amongst the developer staff would like there to be a (small) taste of something like Garuda or Titan HM in there to offer a little more of a challenging experience. However YoshiP doesn't want people to get blocked from progressing the story too bad so it's a tight balancing act to keep both challenge and accessibility.

The main concern is with the different levels of DPS people have. They don't want the lower end dps to be unable to clear but don't want to make it a joke for the higher dps. They tested some with a party of 4 of their casual gamer devs and 4 of the more hardcore, and barely cleared it, but when they went in with 8 skilled it was too simple.

Three types of bosses in the new dungeons; those with completely new and original mechanics, those that reuse raid mechanics that are simplified a bit, and those meant to throw you off a bit by being similar to old mechanics but with a nice twist. He mentions those that have never raided could learn some new mechanics from the simplified versions.

The new S rank mobs will not be added in until at least a few days after the official release (on tuesday). The concern is basically the servers might crash when the army of low/mid levels are trying to take down a 60 mob. They will be monitoring things and release the S ranks at a later date.

Three different ranks of daily hunts like we heard before, but he specifies the lowest rank unlocks from a quest at level 53, I think that's new info.

You can't join the Ishgard GC as it doesn't currently exist during the war. Who knows what will happen when the war is over...

That's it for the more important stuff. There's a bunch of stuff at the end that's more about the far future; DX12 support, the second expansion, VR support, etc. If anyone is curious about any of those I'll summarize them too. Oh and he said they have tested some with Windows 10 and it seems to run alright, they will be testing more with it and monitoring the issue but should be able to play on it fine.

Nah, I expect all servers are down for maintenance.

It also looks like character creation on popular realms is clogged up. No luck creating your hornmonster there for now.

Yeah sure, I just wondered and I hope the preload will go live in the next 8 hours or so so we have enough time before the Early Access.

As for character creation, yeah that's always a problem having to wait till any servers "night-time" :/

glaurung

Yeah sure, I just wondered and I hope the preload will go live in the next 8 hours or so so we have enough time before the Early Access.
As with any MMO launch event that is even mildly popular, expect a grueling experience and laughably slow download speeds.

Do we even know the download size for Heavensward? It can't be small.

Thing to remember about lustrate change is there's a lot of positive aspects to changing it to a normal potency heal. It's affected by Eos' increased healing buff, it's affected by Dissipate, it's affected by Mantra, it's affected by MND(mostly potions matter here since MND on gear scales the same as VIT so Lustrate was already scaling), it's affected by Crit(and that's a huge one considering SCH stack crit and crit's getting buffed to affect critical values too, I have like 35%crit on my SCH).

The potency amount is high enough that it'll heal for about the same on WARs, more on PLD and a lot more on everyone else, assuming similar scaling to current between healing and health. It's still instant/OGCD(well I assume), so it can still be used instantly from Cleric Stance by dropping Cleric first(which is true instant, not even server check for it since it's removal of a buff). Now obviously, quite a few downsides including having to recast Cleric Stance everytime you drop it to lustrate and not being able to heal through various healing reduction mechanics.

But I think overall it'll increase the amount you heal with Lustrate by a substantial amount, at the cost of making it harder to DPS and heal at the same time(or less efficient I should say).

I hope we have server disasters and horrible login queues again. Those were the days.

Broken quests... Remember that story quest you had to wait in a line to finish?

I hope we have server disasters and horrible login queues again. Those were the days.

It was a lot of them, because they designed the instanced quests terribly. The one I loved was the Arcanist lvl 5 quests that had you open a box, which started a cutscene, and then a mob spawned and you had to fight it. Only issue is the mob had aoes, so you'd start the cutscene, then another arcanist started fighting, and you'd get hit during your cutscene, and it'd cancel it. Then you had to rewatch it. Good times.

Tash

I mentioned that yesterday in our TS. I really, REALLY hope they don't have any of those "stand in circle and kill spawning non instanced mobs" crap with the new questlines..at least not at the very start..otherwise, yeah, chaos will ensue..again..

I kept side stepping the circle line for about 15 minutes until mine finally triggered through the "sorry, max allowed player blabla".

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I mentioned that yesterday in our TS. I really, REALLY hope they don't have any of those "stand in circle and kill spawning non instanced mobs" crap with the new questlines..at least not at the very start..otherwise, yeah, chaos will ensue..again..

I kept side stepping the circle line for about 15 minutes until mine finally triggered through the "sorry, max allowed player blabla".
Remember that one quest (job or story, not sure) where everyone was kicked out of the instance because of mobs using AoE attacks?

IvorB

Oh.. did not know this yet, Flare and Holy are nerfed by cutting % dmg depending how many mobs are hit!? bye bye speed running with BLM/WHM haha.

Yeah what's all that about. :-( Did other jobs get their AOEs nerfed or they just picked on BLM/WHM.

Tash

Remember that one quest (job or story, not sure) where everyone was kicked out of the instance because of mobs using AoE attacks?

haha yeah :D Job iirc..edit: Oh yeah, lvl 5 Arcanist - mentioned above.

Oh also, PC patch can be started. It's only 4.4 GB 0_0

Semper88

A small group of friends (and our static) split from PM because we started to not know people and it felt very quiet and non social the past few month (our fault as well, though). So we have our own new FC now and worked on ranking it up for Heavensward :)

The idea is to have a very friendly, social but committed FC that is very active in TS.

Ah right, Sleepy's FC right? :D

PM has gotten alot more active since the departure, Even has been doing his best :p

To late tho but maybe it was a necessity.

Tash

Ah right, Sleepy's FC right? :D

PM has gotten alot more active since the departure, Even has been doing his best :p

To late tho but maybe it was a necessity.

Yeah :)
Oh and that's good but he has a tendency to do something once it's too late. I am happy if PM found its foot again. I still really like all the people I know :)
Also, their recruitment video was really fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom