• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

P44

Hey,

So I'm looking for some tricky content, I'm told some of the fights in FFXIV can be hard. I'd probably want to play melee dps only because I play casters in everything (I'm aware of how the job system works though). Which class should I pick to focus on, in terms of a challenging melee dps role (that can still get parties lol) and where are the majority of the community in terms of GAF? Mostly wonering if there are any euro players in the US side of things?

i was hype b/c it's time to ride the bandwagon again and go drg in the expansion. if ppl want dragon kick, they can suck it and just get good

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Ultros is busiest at US prime times, but there's a few people on EU time- there's at least two coil statics I know of that primarily raid those times, too.

dramatis

Hey,

So I'm looking for some tricky content, I'm told some of the fights in FFXIV can be hard. I'd probably want to play melee dps only because I play casters in everything (I'm aware of how the job system works though). Which class should I pick to focus on, in terms of a challenging melee dps role (that can still get parties lol) and where are the majority of the community in terms of GAF? Mostly wonering if there are any euro players in the US side of things?
Monk.

Supposedly.

Which class should I pick to focus on, in terms of a challenging melee dps role

I really like Dragoon because they have the most style and I just like the way their rotation works--after getting buffed not too long ago they are up there with the other two. Their main benefit to the party would their ability that lowers enemy's piercing resist, thus boosting a bard's damage. Ninja is okay but their main gimmick (mudras) suffer from a bit of inconsistency which takes away some of the fun for me, but they are a good class with good raid utility with Goad and Trick Attack in addition to high damage output. Monk is pretty simple to play, solid damage and adds some nice raid utility as well with Dragon Kick and traited Mantra. They're just a good bread and butter melee class and have always been really useful.

Tiops

So, I filed a report for an asshole I met on Ramuh Extreme today, and I was surprised how quickly the GM answered me. He asked with details what happened and concluded that it was indeed harassment and will take the appropriated actions. Didn't know they actually acted to stop these kind of behavior :)

^Speaking of Ramuh Extreme...

So I take it tanks avoid queuing for Ramuh Extreme in the duty finder? Been in this queue as a healer for over an hour lol. Been 0/2 Tanks, 2/2 Healers, 4/4 DPS the entire time. Sometimes I either feel like the DF is broken or there really are no tanks wanting to do it. I guess it's an annoying fight for tanks with the whole managing debuffs, but still.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Dragoon is the least variable of the melee- you have one of the most structured rotations in the game and the difficulty mostly comes from trying to fit it in into a boss's own moves (especially jumps) then anything inherent in how they actually play. Monks is more about maximising the uptime of a stacking buff that increases each time you go through your stances that has a really short timer. Ninja revolves around pulling off certain button presses in a row to do their spells. Monks don't really do burst or AOE, but high steady damage and have some of the best raiding utility; ninjas do burst very well and some pretty decent utility, but their spells are latency dependent. Dragoons have okay burst, do hard hitting but slow attacks, are the sturdiest non-tank class but have bugger all in raid utility except a bard buff.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
JP20150411_4.jpg

Time to put healer down and take up SMN or something because they're hellbent or making me a nun or a pope.

XenoRaven

Warrior changing to Dragoon is canonically acceptable because you need LNC to unlock WAR anyway. I'd like to know where all these damn Gae Bolgs came from though. This thing is supposed to be exclusive dammit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Did they mention an unlock to poetics in the live letter? I have so many twines, coats and logs I have no use for because I can't afford gear.

Teknoman

That opening was pretty cool, FFIV vibes all over with that pose.

EDIT: If only Kenji Ito and Sakimoto could offer some tracks for XIV.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I looked awesome in that trailer. Red-kun, were you really so jealous of me that you had to put on my armor?

WolvenOne

So, been thinking about it, and starting the new classes at level 30 is actually really smart, for two reasons.

First, while you will start out with some abilities, it still gives players some time to play around with the bulk of their abilities before they get to a level 50/60 rotation. So, should be a slightly less steep learning curve, basically.

Secondly, and this is probably a larger portion of their reasoning. It forces players back into level 30-49 dungeons. Brayflox, Stone Vigil, Aurum Vale, all of you are going back baby!! This is smart because, well new players will be picking this up for the first time come expansion time. They'll need other players to level up with. Plus, well this forces players to re-use old content some.

I mean, yeah, removing the minimum limit size for old dungeuns takes care of some of this, especially if players can level up NPC's to run with them like they were talking about, buuuut, it's no replacement for having real players to run this content with.

BadRNG

Trailer was ok I guess? I think it focused too much on 2.55 stuff instead of showcasing what is to come. Yeah ok dragons whatever, why have dragoon army there when you could of showed off the new jobs, the new race, etc.

Warrior changing to Dragoon is canonically acceptable because you need LNC to unlock WAR anyway. I'd like to know where all these damn Gae Bolgs came from though. This thing is supposed to be exclusive dammit.
Gerolt and friends have been scamming you guys since day one.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Trailer was ok I guess? I think it focused too much on 2.55 stuff instead of showcasing what is to come. Yeah ok dragons whatever, why have dragoon army there when you could of showed off the new jobs, the new race, etc.

Because none of those have spears??? Gosh.

WolvenOne

Oooookay, so assuming this is the Dark Knight set for PVP, I guess their animal representation is, Behemoths?

What is that going to make their mount exactly? Less ugly behemoths?

Here are the other two PVP sets BTW.

Bottom one looks like a monk set, what with the emphasis on musculature and the slight oriental aesthetic. So the set above that could be, healer, caster, I dunno.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Trailer looked alright. The footsteps in the snowy mountain at the beginning had me thinking, "Arthus?" though. =p

I don't really like the 2.55 references in the trailer because they rob it of a sense of focus and make it less accessible for people who either haven't played ARR or haven't finished it. They would have been better off sticking with the CGI Steps of Faith side of things. In media generally there are times where I'd resent continuity being excluded for the sake of bringing the casuals in but a promotional trailer isn't really one of them - quite happy for trailers to be clean and exciting and whoo and stuff like End of an Era was.

I mean I'm aware it's the opening CGI for the game as well but I still don't see what it really adds to it.

BadRNG

Trailer looked alright. The footsteps in the snowy mountain at the beginning had me thinking, "Arthus?" though. =p
Man, so that's what this trailer was missing! Needed villain dialogue for hype purposes. Say whatever the hell you want about WoW, but Blizzard CGis were godlike. "You are not prepared!", "All will burn..", "we will be conquerors!". Villain monologues make everything better. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan but that "You were deceived..." trailer got me so hype for SWTOR.

Imagine the FFXIV trailer narrated by Midgardsormr; mocking you for your petty politics, your failures and weakness, and about the dragon's call of war to punish man for their sins. My hype levels would be at 11, minimum.

(PS. If 4.0 is Garlean based, and the trailer is not simply Gaius giving his Eorzea is a lie speech, I will riot. #GaiusWasRight2016)

WolvenOne

I don't really like the 2.55 references in the trailer because they rob it of a sense of focus and make it less accessible for people who either haven't played ARR or haven't finished it. They would have been better off sticking with the CGI Steps of Faith side of things. In media generally there are times where I'd resent continuity being excluded for the sake of bringing the casuals in but a promotional trailer isn't really one of them - quite happy for trailers to be clean and exciting and whoo and stuff like End of an Era was.

I mean I'm aware it's the opening CGI for the game as well but I still don't see what it really adds to it.

Thing is, End of an Era doesn't make much sense without context either. Since I didn't know the 1.0 story, I ended up making a lot of guesses as to what was going on, and many of them were wrong.

The 3.0 opening isn't all that different.

Man, so that's what this trailer was missing! Needed villain dialogue for hype purposes. Say whatever the hell you want about WoW, but Blizzard CGis were godlike. "You are not prepared!", "All will burn..", "we will be conquerors!". Villain monologues make everything better. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan but that "You were deceived..." trailer got me so hype for SWTOR.

Imagine the FFXIV trailer narrated by Midgardsormr; mocking you for your petty politics, your failures and weakness, and about the dragon's call of war to punish man for their sins. My hype levels would be at 11, minimum.

(PS. If 4.0 is Garlean based, and the trailer is not simply Gaius giving his Eorzea is a lie speech, I will riot. #GaiusWasRight2016)

Unless we head off in some completely unknown direction in 4.0, there are only so many places it could take place. My bet right now is that 4.0 is Ala Mhigo and Doma. (Ala Migho and Doma are thematically similar, so expanding into both at the same time kinda makes sense.) At that point you'd be getting pretty darn close to the heart of the Empire, so theoretically I guess we could go all the way to Garlean, but that somehow seems like a bit much for one expansion. Thing is, again, you're getting into regions that aren't thematically similar. I mean, Ala Migho seems to be China themed (that's the impression I get at least,) and Doma is pre-modern japan themed. You can really see what sort of marketing and such an expansion like that would lend itself too.

If it was me, Garlean would be 5.0, and the entire focus would be on Magitech EVERYTHING! I'd like to see whole regions where everything is industrialized, and where the Empire is throwing everything it has at Eorzea, after having several annexed regions liberated.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I remember back in the day when that came out there were a bunch of people who hated it because it didn't show that stupid montage of the classes running through various jungles the first two CG scenes did. People are terrible.

Thing is, End of an Era doesn't make much sense without context either. Since I didn't know the 1.0 story, I ended up making a lot of guesses as to what was going on, and many of them were wrong.

The 3.0 opening isn't all that different.

It was a lot more linear though and a lot of the shots of story characters were pretty incidental - for example, the Scions are established but it also works as some shots of random prayin' dudes makin' the prayer magic work if you have no idea what's going on. Whereas the shots in the Heavensward trailer are quite specific. I mean yeah, you'd struggle to map End of an Era to the FFXIV story without playing it but it still works as a little standalone thing, it's cool and linear and easy to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom