• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Yu Narukami

Ending of Chapter 9 spoiler.

Why didn't Ardyn take the ring from Luna? Did he stab her for no reason? Also, Ignis losing his sight? DLC will explain how it happened,right?

Zafir

Ending of Chapter 9 spoiler.

Why didn't Ardyn take the ring from Luna? Did he stab her for no reason? Also, Ignis losing his sight? DLC will explain how it happened,right?

I think Luna's death was him toying with Noctis really, I mean there is a bit of another reason, but that's elaborated on further in the story.

Tthe leaving the ring is partially explained more later in the game. Regarding Ignis, yes, It's likely it'll be explained in the DLC.

ramyeon

That's one of the expensive preorder dlc bonus I think
I have the preorder bonus suit, it's different. The preorder bonus one is a tacky pinstripe suit that makes him look like he belongs in a Yakuza game.

Weird that they had a model for this suit in the game and show it but don't let you wear it.

Jennipeg

I think Luna's death was him toying with Noctis really, I mean there is a bit of another reason, but that's elaborated on further in the story.

Tthe leaving the ring is partially explained more later in the game. Regarding Ignis, yes, It's likely it'll be explained in the DLC.

She really was just a cardboard plot device wasn't she? What a downer.

Manu

Do I have to kill every enemy in Costlemark for the final door to open?

I stepped on the switch earlier and it took me back to the start of the level.

EDIT: nvm, I got it

z1ggy

I'm actually running through chapter 13 right now and what the fuck were they thinking

The camera and the x-action/jump shit piss me off in this chapter

Krabboss

I really didn't find chapter 13 much worse than the rest of the game. None of the game was particularly fun to play and the writing wasn't any worse at that point either.

Zafir

She really was just a cardboard plot device wasn't she? What a downer.

Pretty much. I think she had the potential to be more, but the way they handled her was just really poor.

It wasn't just that you didn't even see her much, but
when you did most of her dialogue revolved around Noctis. Kingsglaive was the worst offender where the majority of her lines were just paraphrasing "I must help Noctis become King, that's my duty". She just had no personality outside of that one goal.

UrbanRats

Unlock the Blink node in the Ascension Grid ASAP. If you time your dodges with it unlocked, you'll be able to cancel any attack animation into a dodge.

You can also dodge roll, by pressing L1 along with a direction, that gives you more control than just holding it and waiting for an opening. But yeah, Blink is the ideal form of dodging at almost any moment.

Airstep and Blink are the two abilities I'd recommend getting before anything else in this game, along with the ones that give you more AP for doing stuff you'll be doing anyway, like car drives, chocobo riding and camping.

Thanks, i'll get on that tonight!

Drops from Duplicorns, just focus on their horn and break them, should drop fairly quickly. Got it on my first try myself during the The Last Spiracorns hunt.

Using "Sword of Wise" increases the chances as well.

Do you remember who issues the hunt? I'm certain I've done it but I can't recall where it's from

Jennipeg

Pretty much. I think she had the potential to be more, but the way they handled her was just really poor.

It wasn't just that you didn't even see her much, but
when you did most of her dialogue revolved around Noctis. Kingsglaive was the worst offender where the majority of her lines were just paraphrasing "I must help Noctis become King, that's my duty". She just had no personality outside of that one goal.

I see now why she has been called a poor man's Yuna,

Even
in her last scene with Noctis, she basically says, 'I have done my duty to help Noctis. I can go die now' I felt bad for Noctis because he also lost his father. But I really want to feel bad for her on her own.
. Yeah it's great she has power, but that isn't a 'strong' character in writing terms. She is wasted potential personified.

I think my next Final Fantasy will be XII remastered. At least I can be happy with Ashe.

I really didn't find chapter 13 much worse than the rest of the game. None of the game was particularly fun to play and the writing wasn't any worse at that point either.

Yeah, it's gotta be a joke. One of the best, most focused chapters in the game. FFX was much more like chapter 13 than chapters 1-8 and people love that game.

Koozek

With the Sony Gold headsets, I just set it to Surround and kept the rest of the settings on default and it's pretty good, imo. Everything has a decent volume, aside from the occasional super loud music.

And to be honest, I think I disagree with this idea that a game with many flaws can't be a masterpiece, but only serve as a stepping stone to it.

I've been thinking about Nier a bit recently, for a few reasons (FFXV being the biggest), and even though I'll concede most of the criticism people give it, and the flaws attributed to the game, I still consider it a masterpiece, without a doubt. A flawed gem, but a gem nonetheless. Nier is absolutely a 10/10 game, to me.

Not to say that FFXV is one as well, only time will tell (and I don't think it will, to be honest), but I get the impression that people who really like this game are holding their opinions a little bit, not singing as much praise as they want to, just to point the issues and seem more level headed. To hell with that. If you love it, you love it.

It probably helps that we don't have nearly as many people mocking Nier's issues in threads made for it, and they're nothing but (deserved) praise for one of the best games I've ever played. Some of the most discussed elements of that game's world and story are knowledge we got from a companion book that was never officially translated to english, how's that for "improtant events happening offscreen"?

It's also similar to Nier, even though arguably not as good, in that I don't really feel compelled to keep going through a checklist of things it does wrong when I'm talking about it. I acknowledge the issues, I wish they weren't there, but they don't really become a hindrance to my enjoyment. While I'm playing, I'm not constanly thinking what could've been, I'm enjoying what is. When I get some optional cutscene, camping miniquest, cosmogony book, optional NPC dialogue or new radio show, I'm not suffering because stuff like this should be mandatory, and feeling bad for people who missed it, I'm just thoroughly enjoying this content and thinking it's nice that they reward exploration and paying attention.

It should have more main quest cutscenes, absolutely, but I'm not desperately looking for things to yank out of the optional content and make mandatory instead. If they have nothing else to tell in the form of mandatory cutscenes, then don't tell anything else. The way the lore and small moments with the characters are delivered is spot on, in my opinion. Wouldn't change anything about it.

And I'm incredibly excited for more major events happening offscreen and reading about them in documents in Nier: Automata. Can't wait to buy the bullshit companion book that this time will probably be localized. That game will be something special, I'm feeling. Hopefully they stay true to their word that it's still a Nier game through and through, and not just an action game with Taro's writing. They showed some promising stuff, but we'll see. Gameplay is a fundamental part of the Nier experience, too, it's not all about the story.
I absolutely agree. Deadly Premonition is one of my last-gen faves and it's technically one of the worst games. In fact many of my most favorite games have obvious flaws, but I don't always look for the same things in games. Sometimes a great story and writing like in Witcher 3 outweights the fact that on paper it's everything I hate about WRPGs gameplay-wise - and now it's my GOTY probably. Sometimes fun gameplay like in FFXV outweighs narrative weaknesses.

The way you feel about NieR I feel about FFXV right now, but not strongly enough to call it a masterpiece, that's why I said it's more like a stepping stone to me. I might be looking more negative on it in a few months, who knows, but for now I like it in spite of its problems. I wouldn't say no to a full-on Director's Cut in a year or so though, just because there's so much potential to flesh-out the second half if the leaks are true and they
scrapped nearly-finished areas like a full snow area before getting Shiva, Dark Lestallum, and a second smaller open-world part around Altissia because they ran out of time
. Has something like that been done before in gaming? Like, not just an Internation or ReMix re-release like FFs or KHs did, but more like hours of new cutscenes, whole new areas etc.? Would be interesting to follow. Or well, just let Nomura do Versus XV while Tabata finishes the rest of FFVIIR :D

Yeah, it's gotta be a joke. One of the best, most focused chapters in the game. FFX was much more like chapter 13 than chapters 1-8 and people love that game.
I mean, you just vouched for chapter 13 by agreeing with someone who said the entire game's contents were all equally bad.

So.

Manu

My entire party just got instakilled by a bomb in Costlemark, over an hour into the dungeon.

I gotta go ly dow.

rataven

Uh, so, embarrassingly I ran out of gas in the Regalia. There's a way to fill it up, without having to push it all the way to a gas station, right? I'm not seeing anything though and I rode a chocobo to the nearest fuel pump and it just says to drive the Regalia closer lol.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do you remember who issues the hunt? I'm certain I've done it but I can't recall where it's from

Outpost in Old Lestallum has it.

That one ^, it's the one towards the left side of the map next to a bridge.

Uh, so, embarrassingly I ran out of gas in the Regalia. There's a way to fill it up, without having to push it all the way to a gas station, right? I'm not seeing anything though and I rode a chocobo to the nearest fuel pump and it just says to drive the Regalia closer lol.

Use the tow car option on the map?

xion4360

My entire party just got instakilled by a bomb in Costlemark, over an hour into the dungeon.

I gotta go ly dow.

no phoenix downs?

tow car option is on the map menu.

LiK

I gotta go ly dow.

I played on Easy for that reason. It's garbage cuz when you're fighting in that tight space, there's no where to run.

Infest

Has something like that been done before in gaming? Like, not just an Internation or ReMix re-release like FFs or KHs did, but more like hours of new cutscenes, whole new areas etc.? Would be interesting to follow. Or well, just let Nomura do Versus XV while Tabata finishes the rest of FFVIIR :D

I'm fine with Nomura working on V(ersus) II for now. x)

Oni3298

Ugh... I've sunk over 80 hours into the game and I hit a bug in Daurell Caverns. The first time I went in there I spawned the boss but left without beating it, and now when I go back trying to finish it, he never spawns and I can't access
the room with the sealed dungeon door
which essentially means I can't access that section of the post game content cuz it's the last one I need.... 😩

Koozek

I'm fine with Nomura working on V(ersus) II for now. x)
Cloud killed Aeris before the game, but he doesn't remember ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Have you posted your impressions anywhere, btw? Would be interested to hear them.

Hutchie

4 hours straight last night, skipped dinner...love this game although still reckon SE skimped on the deluxe edition contents.

anyone recommend any key ascension skills?

So, after reading the last few posts, I'm wondering: how does one actually get a game over in this game? I got a couple from crashing the Regalia but aside from that, I never died while in combat, I always got the option to use a Phoenix Down...

4 hours straight last night, skipped dinner...love this game although still reckon SE skimped on the deluxe edition contents.

Make sure to prioritize the Exploration skills in order to get plenty of AP points.

Gbraga

Airstep, Blink, the ones that give you more AP for traversing/camping/fishing. Regroup for Ignis. These will be useful for the entire playthrough, and the sooner you get them, the better. Everything else is up to your preferences and playstyle.

So, after reading the last few posts I'm wondering: how does one actually get a game over in this game? I got a couple from crashing the Regalia but aside from that, I never died while in combat, I always got the option to use a Phoenix Down...

I really don't like using revive items in action games, especially the ones that leave the enemy with the same amount of health they had. If I use a Phoenix Down, I'll run away, just to avoid the loading screen, and I'll consider that a lost battle.

Never used Gold Orbs in DMC either.

I feel like the game should encourage that, by maybe locking you out of anything higher than a B rank for that encounter if you use an item.

But it would have to be completely rebalanced for that, though, since it looks like post-game expects you to use all of your items to even stand a chance, so I'll just start using them more as I get there.

Golnei

Cloud killed Aeris before the game, but he doesn't remember ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Have you posted your impressions anywhere, btw? Would be interested to hear them.

...I can't believe Sephiroth was Stella this whole time.

Costlemark dugeon took me close to 3 hours because of course I had to stand on the big red button. Also I skipped the first fight the with flans and bombs. I found the boss was much easier than the mobs before.

Costlemark dugeon took me close to 3 hours because of course I had to stand on the big red button. Also I skipped the first fight the with flans and bombs. I found the boss was much easier than the mobs before.
lol.

In my case, I heard so many people talking about some button that when I saw it, I completely avoided stepping on it. Turns out this was the right move. Really enjoyed my time in the Dungeon at Level 70.

Ferr986

I did read it all! And I almost agree with everything.

Although I gotta say I didn't find the English dub terrible, it was actually pretty good IMO, coming from a JRPG. Noctis and Prompto especially VA does a gread job. The (ending spoilers)
camp scene, Noctis VA really shines there.

I think this game proves pretty damn well that bigger skill trees aren't always better.

Game's got 99 levels to it, but you need how much AP to actually throw points into everything? And the most efficient way to gain AP is to just one-hit mobs near Hammerhead.

Farming for days. Not fun at all.

Grudy

Man you guys weren't kidding about the "Who the eff is Jared?!" thing. It was my exact reaction. Pure gold
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom