• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Zafir

So I just upgraded my sword to I think the final stage. Is
Ultima Blade
the best one-handed sword? If so I got it much earlier than I expected
(Chapter 7)

I'm not sure if it's the best but it'll certainly carry you through most, if not all content.

Bladelaw

FFXIII is a great game, y'all know it, deep down.

Maybe but I've never had such a negative reaction to video game characters before. The first section where you control Hope is where I quit the game This was maybe 2-3 hours in trying to explore the maps and get a handle on the paradigm system. By that point I just wasn't having fun. Sazh was by far the most interesting character I'd met at that point and he wasn't getting much screen time.

I'd play a Devil May Cry style action game starring Lightning, or maybe even Snow, but in a JRPG without a lot of direct control really took a lot of the "cool" factor out. The older FF's could get away with it due to technical limitations, or a compelling story but XIII fell flat in pretty much every area for me. I'm glad some folks enjoyed it, but it's not for me.

I agree.
ntGzZgo.gif

Shut up, it's great.

Part of me is still angry that they
hang the sword of Damocles over the party the whole game and say "if you you don't complete your focus you'll turn into a Cie'th" and when it happens they go "friendship power conquers all" and turn them back. I guess all the other mothers, fathers, and children who became L'cies just didn't want it bad enough. I know they try to explain this away in XIII-2 as an Etro thing, but regardless, it's the worst possible way to go with that.

Didn't help I didn't like anyone, besides Sazh.

Edit: Gah! I feel for it. I promised myself I wouldn't have this conversation again. Let's get back to discussing FFXV.

vareon

GAF, I'm just a bit into chapter 13 but since everyone is talking about this supposedly dreadful chapter I want to know what's coming with as little spoilers as possible:

Will the entire chapter be Noctis alone running away from enemies because he has no weapon?

RDreamer

Why can't I seem to get Ignis to use Regroup?
Currently fighting Ravus, and it'd be nice if I could use that ability but it's grayed out and has been for a while.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FFXIII is a good JRPG, it just lacks that "I want to play it again" factor like what the other FFs had (yes, FFXV has that factor).

Gbraga

I genuinely believe it to be a pretty good game. But I can't give you more than that!

It's... good...!

Ok, I can accept that.

Maybe but I've never had such a negative reaction to video game characters before. The first section where you control Hope is where I quit the game This was maybe 2-3 hours in trying to explore the maps and get a handle on the paradigm system. By that point I just wasn't having fun. Sazh was by far the most interesting character I'd met at that point and he wasn't getting much screen time.

I'd play a Devil May Cry style action game starring Lightning, or maybe even Snow, but in a JRPG without a lot of direct control really took a lot of the "cool" factor out. The older FF's could get away with it due to technical limitations, or a compelling story but XIII fell flat in pretty much every area for me. I'm glad some folks enjoyed it, but it's not for me.

I don't hate them, but I agree that Sazh is the best character. Along with Fang and Vanille (yes).

I just can't get tired of the music, visuals and battle system. <3

High five!

I don't agree but XV did make me appreciate certain aspects of XIII a bit more.

pls

Part of me is still angry that they
hang the sword of Damocles over the party the whole game and say "if you you don't complete your focus you'll turn into a Cie'th" and when it happens they go "friendship power conquers all" and turn them back. I guess all the other mothers, fathers, and children who became L'cies just didn't want it bad enough. I know they try to explain this away in XIII-2 as an Etro thing, but regardless, it's the worst possible way to go with that.

Didn't help I didn't like anyone, besides Sazh.

Edit: Gah! I feel for it. I promised myself I wouldn't have this conversation again. Let's get back to discussing FFXV.

Plot

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Half-way through chapter 13 -
just recovered regis's sword
- I honestly expected way worse reading this topic. It's not bad, just a bit long maybe. If anything I found chapter 11 and 12 way more offensive in them being devoid of any significant content. Also
tenebrae as wallpaper, lmao

I really pity Tabata for having to create this frankestein in a 3 yrs rush from the ashes of Nomura and his team's utter incompetence. Now I hope he gets the chance to make his own game.

Bladelaw

So back to FFXV, has anyone sussed out how summons work?

I've got the favor of Titan and Ramuh but only been able to summon Ramuh. It's amazing when it happens and I was hoping to see what each one does.

Adaren

GAF, I'm just a bit into chapter 13 but since everyone is talking about this supposedly dreadful chapter I want to know what's coming with as little spoilers as possible:

Will the entire chapter be Noctis alone running away from enemies because he has no weapon?

No.

Why can't I seem to get Ignis to use Regroup?
Currently fighting Ravus, and it'd be nice if I could use that ability but it's grayed out and has been for a while.

I was under the impression that Ignis can't use any abilities besides Libra Elementia while he has his cane. At least my Ignis couldn't.

Ishida

Banned

I enjoyed almost my entire time with it, so I'd agree with you. Or at least I'd say it's a very good one.

However, it was not the path I wanted Final Fantasy to take. I believe the game and its characters took themselves too seriously (A problem shared with XII). Gone was the sense of humor so characteristic to the series.

FFXV, flaws an all, is the path I would like the franchise to take. They just need to polish their flaws in storytelling.

Gbraga

Step into the rainbow <3

It's gets good after 20 hours etc...

Nah, it gets good as soon as you have access to paradigm shift. It gets even better as soon as you have control over your party composition.

FF13 has my favorite battle system of the series

At least before XV, it was mine as well. We'll see if that changes.

I enjoyed almost my entire time with it, so I'd agree with you. Or at least I'd say it's a very good one.

However, it was not the path I wanted Final Fantasy to take. I believe the game and its characters took themselves too seriously (A problem shared with XII). Gone was the sense of humor so characteristic to the series.

FFXV, flaws an all, is the path I would like the franchise to take. They just need to polish their flaws in storytelling.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't really have this vision of "the path I want the franchise to take". I want each of them to do their thing, whatever it is. I find it very interesting how experimental such a huge franchise can be, actually.

I want XVI to be completely different from XV, as much as I'm loving XV.

level1

No,
you get a new, albeit different, weapon almost immediately and a royal arm shortly after. You can play pretty much normally for most of the chapter

AXE

What in the fucking frack?

1. Engage a pack of hunt targets
2. Get attacked by a bunch of robot soldiers
3. Plus a fracking armored frog
4. Fracking foliage
5. Game Over

I mean, I'm all for some challenge, but this is just so dumb. The game rolls like my grandma and I'm supposed to fight something like 20 enemies at once - in a gorram forest with bushes and trees.

I'm kinda ready to say screw this shit and going out of my way to make folks know how the game is like.

Salty as frack.

Lynx_7

Shut up, it's great.

The game is in fact so bad Tabata decided to honor it with the worst chapter of XV.
Actually I haven't played chapter 13 yet so I don't know if it's really that bad :~
But why are we talking about FF XIII? It keeps consistently popping up in XV threads. Why don't we talk about Mystic Quest instead?

Anyway, Aranea is pretty cool, and Prompto seems to agree with me. Just forget about Cindy dude, there's no future there, Aranea is where it's at.

Mcdohl

LMAO

Start of Chapter 8 spoilers:
It was obvious as fuck the other hunter in the suit was Gladio. How the fuck could Noctis not tell? Or did he?

Also, dat cup noodles quest was embarrassing.

In brighter news, just finished climbing Ravatogh (sp?).

Great climb/dungeon. Wish a more epic and encouraging song played though.

Let's get back on topic of FFXV. All these XIII posts are tempting to respond to and I don't want to be negative about it as I told HeelPower in another thread. I am trying to be nice about this!

Grudy

I'm one of them weirdos who really enjoyed XIII. Got a Platinum too! I loved the combat system after the game got going and especially in the post-game. I think I would still be able to take out an Adamantortoise if I'm put against it, feels like I had to farm hundreds of them for the damn upgrades.

And I don't care what anyone thinks, Sazh and Vanille were awesome. Too bad they get shoved aside and one has the most annoying voice in all of FF to date.

Zafir

I was under the impression that Ignis can't use any abilities besides Libra Elementia while he has his cane. At least my Ignis couldn't.

That's what I remember too.

The exception being Chapter 14.
I guess by that point he's developed Daredevil like senses, and is a total badass

Burbeting

Banned
13 is not a bad game. But it is very sterile, quite poorly designed and the plot is told very badly.

The battle system is what redeems it, but that doesn't push it further than 7/10 territory. It's not the worst mainline FF game though, that honor goes to VIII for me.

level1

LMAO

It was obvious as fuck the other hunter in the suit was Gladio. How the fuck could Noctis not tell? Or did he?

Judging by the dialogue I'm pretty sure he did and they were both just messing around. Still by far the worst part of the game for me though and pretty much the one bit where I'd justify calling it straight up unfinished/early access.

Grudy

13 is not a bad game. But it is very sterile, quite poorly designed and the plot is told very badly.

The battle system is what redeems it, but that doesn't push it further than 7/10 territory. It's not the worst mainline FF game though, that honor goes to VIII for me.

Pretty much what I think. I also enjoyed the world mythos quite a lot, too bad you had to do a bunch of reading in the menus to get most of the information.

Ishida

Banned
LMAO

Noctis and Gladio recognized each other instantly. That's why they keep mocking each other throughout the whole thing.

What in the fucking frack?

1. Engage a pack of hunt targets
2. Get attacked by a bunch of robot soldiers
3. Plus a fracking armored frog
4. Fracking foliage
5. Game Over

I mean, I'm all for some challenge, but this is just so dumb. The game rolls like my grandma and I'm supposed to fight something like 20 enemies at once - in a gorram forest with bushes and trees.

I'm kinda ready to say screw this shit and going out of my way to make folks know how the game is like.

Salty as frack.

Use a spell? Armiger? Use some aerial combos? You got options.

LMAO

They knew who the other was. They were just playing off each other because Noctis didn't recognize him immediately.

That's what I remember too.

The exception being Chapter 14.
I guess by that point he's developed Daredevil like senses, and is a total badass

Lol. I never looked at it that way.

Lynx_7

Let's get back on topic of FFXV. All these XIII posts are tempting to respond to and I don't want to be negative about it as I told HeelPower in another thread. I am trying to be nice about this!

For real, man. It makes me hope XVI follows a more steampukish-medieval-magic setting so we can get more comparisons to XIV, XII or VI instead. At least that'd be respectable.
Actually I'm just messing around, you guys can spread the XIII love if you want to. I just don't think a XV thread is the most appropriate place for that

RDreamer

Pretty much what I think. I also enjoyed the world mythos quite a lot, too bad you had to do a bunch of reading in the menus to get most of the information.

I'd rather read in the menus to get information that literally not have any information. FFXV direly needs some datalogs.

Infest

So back to FFXV, has anyone sussed out how summons work?

I've got the favor of Titan and Ramuh but only been able to summon Ramuh. It's amazing when it happens and I was hoping to see what each one does.

Summons can only appear on certain terrain and they all have certain criterias that'll increase their chances of appearing:

Titan: The more members of the group are k.o. the higher the chance for Titan to appear.
Ramuh: The longer a battle takes the higher the chance for Titan to appear.
Leviathan: Only shows up if Noctis is in critical mode. The longer he's in critical mode the higher the chance for Leviathan to appear.
Shiva: a combination of the criterias above
Bahamut: only in chapter 14

Cloud killed Aeris before the game, but he doesn't remember ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Have you posted your impressions anywhere, btw? Would be interested to hear them.

Not in a condensed form yet. I might do it over the holidays.

vareon

Judging by the dialogue I'm pretty sure he did and they were both just messing around. Still by far the worst part of the game for me though and pretty much the one bit where I'd justify calling it straight up unfinished/early access.

Chapter 5 to 6 and 7 to 8 transition was the weirdest part for me. Just baffling.

Namikaze

I beat the game last night at level 58. Stockpiling like 120k exp and going to the 3x exp hotel in Altissa was the best thing I could've done, I went from lvl 42-58 all at once 0.0 Didn't really have any trouble after that.

Half-way through chapter 13 -
just recovered regis's sword
- I honestly expected way worse reading this topic. It's not bad, just a bit long maybe. If anything I found chapter 11 and 12 way more offensive in them being devoid of any significant content. Also
tenebrae as wallpaper, lmao

I really pity Tabata for having to create this frankestein in a 3 yrs rush from the ashes of Nomura and his team's utter incompetence. Now I hope he gets the chance to make his own game.

Yup especially that last spoiler, I was super disappointed in that.

For real, man. It makes me hope XVI follows a more steampukish-medieval-magic setting so we can get more comparisons to XIV, XII or VI instead. At least that'd be respectable.
Actually I'm just messing around, you guys can spread the XIII love if you want. I just think a XV thread isn't the most appropriate place

It literally came out of nowhere. Lol.

Jennipeg

I was with you right up to the bolded. You were doing so well.

I think the characters in XII felt natural in the setting, and the plot made sense so I could empathise with their general dourness better than I ever could in XIII. I guess it's down to execution. And Balthier is there, that adds at least a little levity.

If I was to point to an ideal template for 'modern' Final Fantasy, i'd point to XII. It had the open areas, quests and still managed to tell a pretty decent story. Just more cutscenes between characters please. They at least got that right in XV.

I'm also so so ready for a medieval setting.

Gbraga

I'd rather read in the menus to get information that literally not have any information. FFXV direly needs some datalogs.

I disagree about FFXV not having any information. The way it presents its lore is far superior to having a menu option that unlocks more things to read. It's very well integrated into the gameplay, imo.

I'm having such a good time finding out more about Eos, the lore is way more interesting to follow than I expected.

RDreamer

I disagree about FFXV not having any information. The way it presents its lore is far superior to having a menu option that unlocks more things to read. It's very well integrated into the gameplay, imo.

I'm having such a good time finding out more about Eos, the lore is way more interesting to follow than I expected.

Like where? What? Who? Apparently I missed like all of this. I'm over 50 hours in and on Chapter 14 and feel like I know almost nothing about the world and lore.

The game needs something akin to the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games for lore. If you're just talking about fucking radio messages that doesn't cut it at all and really didn't fill in didly shit about the world for me.

z1ggy

Like where? What? Who? Apparently I missed like all of this. I'm over 50 hours in and on Chapter 14 and feel like I know almost nothing about the world and lore.

The game needs something akin to the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games for lore. If you're just talking about fucking radio messages that doesn't cut it at all and really didn't fill in didly shit about the world for me.

You find what happened to a character in a radio broadcast! lol

Magazines in the seat also

Top Bottom