• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

I ask once more, which sealed dungeons are you guys talking about with the whole
Bloody Palace
thing?

Thus far, I've cleared two and they were just
full of empty rooms.

I think this game proves pretty damn well that bigger skill trees aren't always better.

Game's got 99 levels to it, but you need how much AP to actually throw points into everything? And the most efficient way to gain AP is to just one-hit mobs near Hammerhead.

Farming for days. Not fun at all.

I've wondered this also. I wonder if the season pass content will be substantial enough to get you much further? Like that whole online mp coop or whatever tabata talked about

So, I've been calling Apocalypsis Noctis basically the Pirates of the Caribbean theme this whole time, but it turns out even that's basically the Morrowind theme.

Septimius

I need some help understanding the game's structure, now that it feels like I'm closing in on the end:

I read that the last chapter is chapter
, and I am now at chapter
. I'm at the point where Noctis just
regained his weapons, and I regained the power to use Umbra again. Following the ability to once again use Umbra, I felt I might be getting close to the end, and I feel like the whole game's a bit disjointed at this point. It feels like there's something going on in chapter 15 that kind of warrants a revisit of some stuff, but I have no idea
. So I'm asking about when this game ends, just so I don't push on with the story, and suddenly just run into the end of the game. I guess I'm kind of getting close to the point like Nothern Crater/Ultimetica's Castle/Lifa Tree. If it works like that, just let me know that there will be a definite "you are now entering the last part of the game, no return, no mercy". I just got scared that I already started that. Will everything be opened up in some way that will make sense, given the earlier spoiler-tag?

Also, is progressing the story from here also related to
the doors in the dungeons that requires a key?

Anyone?

Just gonna leave this here....

OYk2a6gl.jpg

Audioboxer

Can all treasures in your inventory be sold? No other uses?

I've amassed a ton of stuff and I'm only in chapter 3. Haven't sold any of it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Finally started the game this past weekend.

Combat took a bit to get used to. They really need to change the R1 lockon to a static lock on. It's hidden that you can press R3 when pressing R1 and that will give you a "permanent" lock temporarily on the enemy selected. This is an unneeded hassle. The "permanent" lock on should also go to another enemy after the current enemy is dead.

I spent way too much time in chapter 1 roaming around thinking that I wouldn't be able to go back there once I got to the resort town.

Zafir

I have no Idea how I survived those bombs when I did.
The first few fights with bombs were fine because you had enough space to move around, but man the ones during the block puzzle, fuck those. I had to use quite a few phoenix downs. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put splitting bombs inside a very tight area (literally 3 or 4 cubes big) should be slapped. It was ridiculous, you'd get them low then they'd split into more, and eventually you physically couldn't move because there wasn't enough space due to all the bombs, lol.

Eventually Ramuh took pity on me, and I was much happier for it.

Adaren

So, I've been calling Apocalypsis Noctis basically the Pirates of the Caribbean theme this whole time, but it turns out even that's basically the Morrowind theme.

Oh, that's what the song is. When I heard it, I literally said "This is like Pirates of the Carribean...wait, more like Elder Scrolls."

I've been waiting til I finished the game to look it up since I didn't want to spoil it for myself. Turns out I've already heard it!

Nose Master

LTTP on commenting, but: +1 for not liking much about this game after beating it. It really felt like a poor clone of Witcher 3.

Battles are sloppy. I know about the different "combos" you can get by moving the stick, it doesn't matter. They slightly change your animation and hurtbox. Every single fight boiled down to abusing techniques / Regroup for i-frames, warping from max distance for damage, and going for blindsides. Nuking the party with quadcast if none of that worked. There's very awkward balance in the fights. Either you get one shot and bleed items if you get hit, or you take almost no damage. 100% style over substance. It's Witcher 3 minus all of the depth.

Open world is lazy. There's not a whole lot to do in it. The RNG of shinies quickly aren't even worth getting off of your chocobo for. The magic veins are always next to camps, so there's no reason to seek them out. The car is needlessly obtuse, and makes it a chore to get to where you need to go. Even if using parking spots and "fast" travel, the loading times negate most of the benefit. The sidequests all feel like they were automatically generated, and the traversal makes hunts a pain.

Plot is an awkward frankenstein monster of whatever they had left after edits. Whatever made even a bit of contextual sense.

This is overly negative, but this game was a complete disappointment to me. It had some decent moments, but they were few and far between.

I know I'm in the minority (on GAF) but I don't think this game will age particularly well. The honeymoon period is pretty strong with this one. Five years time, this will be held in a worse light than 13. It deserves to be, at least.

Audioboxer

LTTP on commenting, but: +1 for not liking much about this game after beating it. It really felt like a poor clone of Witcher 3.

Battles are sloppy. I know about the different "combos" you can get by moving the stick, it doesn't matter. They slightly change your animation and hurtbox. Every single fight boiled down to abusing techniques / Regroup for i-frames, warping from max distance for damage, and going for blindsides. Nuking the party with quadcast if none of that worked. There's very awkward balance in the fights. Either you get one shot and bleed items if you get hit, or you take almost no damage. 100% style over substance. It's Witcher 3 minus all of the depth.

Open world is lazy. There's not a whole lot to do in it. The RNG of shinies quickly aren't even worth getting off of your chocobo for. The magic veins are always next to camps, so there's no reason to seek them out. The car is needlessly obtuse, and makes it a chore to get to where you need to go. Even if using parking spots and "fast" travel, the loading times negate most of the benefit. The sidequests all feel like they were automatically generated, and the traversal makes hunts a pain.

Plot is an awkward frankenstein monster of whatever they had left after edits. Whatever made even a bit of contextual sense.

This is overly negative, but this game was a complete disappointment to me. It had some decent moments, but they were few and far between.

I know I'm in the minority (on GAF) but I don't think this game will age particularly well. The honeymoon period is pretty strong with this one. Five years time, this will be held in a worse light than 13. It deserves to be, at least.

Customizing your car is more fun than playing FF13.

Audioboxer

I'm wondering this too. In one of the final chapters and haven't sold a single item all game; wondering if now is the time, lol.

LOL. I'll take that as my answer. I think quest stuff is kept to key items section.

But yeah, hunts tend to give me enough coin for everything I need.

Just managed to upgrade my engine blade. I'm playing blind so exploring everywhere for items. Picked up a needed item lying around in a town. Not sure if it's random spawning or not, but if going by past FF games items placed in areas tend to be set.

jennetics

Not sure if anyone else has come across this but I figured if anyone knows what to do about this, it's gaf.

You know how R1 moves the camera back around Notctis' head? Sometimes R1 will just not work and the camera will turn into this weird action-y / slowly panning view that doesn't respond to movements from your right thumbstick until you start violently moving the stick back and forth, at which point you'll regain control.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I don't know what to do to fix it other than reset the game.

Dimmle

I'm wondering this too. In one of the final chapters and haven't sold a single item all game; wondering if now is the time, lol.

LOL. I'll take that as my answer. I think quest stuff is kept to key items section.

But yeah, hunts tend to give me enough coin for everything I need.
Keep any form of currency (debased banknote, rare coin). You can use them to craft spells that will increase your experience yield in a battle dramatically.

Also some rare drops like helixhorn and griffon feather will complete quests but unfortunately there's no way to tell which are important.

muteki

Just got through the Titan fight.

The fight itself actually wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, even though you are really just fighting one arm and foot. Camera could have been zoomed out a lot more, it was really hard to focus on both his arm and whatever the imperial dudes were doing.

Which is the real shitty thing, everything about Ardyn and driving here and the imperials showing up and the aftermath and how they number chapters is such a huge mess. With the exception of a couple things (Ardyn mostly, and how the party being who they are could not recognize someone in that position after being at war with their country for fucking years) I was more or less on board with the story, but after Ch. 4~5 I'm starting to understand how rough a ride I am in for. I was all happy and questing along and now just confused and want to go back.

That Ice dungeon was pretty awesome though.

That one dungeon without enemies was imo really fun and it's to me pretty weird how they didn't implement any such elements in the rest of the game.

I would have liked some elements from it but I really didn't like that one at all in its entirety. The game was not made with something like that in mind and to my frustration you feel that pretty obviously there, at least in the later parts.

Wait... Is Chapter
being a
set of hallways
just coincidence or hilarious commentary?

*grins*

Keep any form of currency (debased banknote, rare coin). You can use them to craft spells that will increase your experience yield in a battle dramatically.

Also some rare drops like helixhorn and griffon feather will complete quests but unfortunately there's no way to tell which are important.

With the exception of banknotes/coins, I usually keep 5 of each treasure just in case it can be used for a quest. Otherwise if it exceeds five of any one item, I will typically sell it.

Bladelaw

So I just upgraded my sword to I think the final stage. Is
Ultima Blade
the best one-handed sword? If so I got it much earlier than I expected
(Chapter 7)

Now that I have a handle on combat and actually used some AP in the right places I'm feeling much better about my ability to control the battlefield. Right now I'm hoarding AP and just kind of burning through side content while I wait for the patch and it's giving me the same vibe as an Elder Scrolls game where there's always something to do and most of it feels appropriately rewarding. I've seen Chapter 9 thrown around as the best place to stop and smell the roses so I'll probably push on a bit more before going full stop on the story and running side stuff until the patch comes. Any side stuff that's particularly noteworthy I should look into? I've kind of just been boosting my hunter rank.

It's nice playing a Final Fantasy I can really engage with. FFX was the last time I had a "can't put it down" experience with a final fantasy so it's nice to know Square still has it in them.

Huh...now that I beat the game I thought I'd listen in to the (imo horrible) German dub. First thing I see is that Cindy is called Cidney...wasn't that her name in all versions at some point? Vaguely rings a bell here.

Other than that it's the usual wooden delivery of lines. Nothing I've heard so far sounded like it was a conversation between actual human beings. So any fellow Germans, save yourself the load to title and back, it's not worth it. :p

Ferr986

Can't get Prompto to take a photo of Gladio sleeping with the "sexy" mag at Caem. My road trip album will forever be incomplete :(

Top Bottom