• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Mediking

Level 38 in Chapter 3.... can't stop doing side quests.... so oddly addicting... team is finally starting to come together and function really well.

Every 5 seconds... Noctis tells me that his head is hurting. I feel bad for the guy. I've bought some stuff that makes the Regalia run better. I found another upgradeable item at the Volcano spot. Then there's the upgradeable fishing rod I saw and that costs alotta money...

Thank you, Vyv for actually paying well.

Hunts also pay good but Vyv is my biggest cash flow right now.

Gbraga

Nights while raining are awesome, truly dark, as they should be (I feel like regular nights got downgraded in comparison to Duscae demo and are not dark enough)

My (fisher)man!

Had a lot of fun leveling fishing to 10, although I still miss A LOT of fishes, and I think I fished everywhere....

I really want to get one of the big ones that everyone has to get in the water to catch. That must be fun!

It probably goes from a surprisingly fun minigame to a nightmare if someone's trying to complete their catalogue. I don't really care about that, I just fish for fun. Don't mind it at all if I spend all night catching the same fish over and over again.

Where do you buy FFVI music?

In the Taelpar Outpost, IIRC.

I'm only on Chapter 6 so maybe this gets revealed later but I need to know about Ravus.

In the Kingsglaive movie
He died by combustion from attempting to wear the king's ring, yet he is very much alive in the game in scenes that take place after his gruesome death.

What do?

He didn't die, just lost his arm. That's why he has that purple arm thingie. In the radio shows you get after Chapter 2, they talk about Ravus disappearing from the public eye after the gruesome battle in Insomnia, making reference to him recovering after that injury, as well as being promoted after Glauca got rekt by Nyx.

Level 38 in Chapter 3.... can't stop doing side quests.... so oddly addicting... team is finally starting to come together and function really well.

Every 5 seconds... Noctis tells me that his head is hurting. I feel bad for the guy. I've bought some stuff that makes the Regalia run better. I found another upgradeable item at the Volcano spot. Then there's the upgradeable fishing rod I saw and that costs alotta money...

Thank you, Vyv for actually paying well.

Hunts also pay good but Vyv is my biggest cash flow right now.

Hahahaha, he's also saying that all the time to me at this point.

Still better than Prompto saying he wants to ride a chocobo ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. Thank god he doesn't sing the song in the japanese version. And I thought it would be such a shame if he didn't...

yunbuns

I'm only on Chapter 6 so maybe this gets revealed later but I need to know about Ravus.

In the Kingsglaive movie
He died by combustion from attempting to wear the king's ring, yet he is very much alive in the game in scenes that take place after his gruesome death.

What do?

He didn't die in Kingsglaive. His arm just burned off hence the mechanical one.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Just want to say, I think FF XV is the last open-world RPG for me. I can't take anymore of this:

- walk into a town, talk to some zany-looking NPC who takes about 5 seconds before they ask you to do some chore
- nevermind that your father just got murdered and your kingdom conquered, let's go do some dumb shit like drive 3 miles to buy tomatoes for this guy we just met
- okay time to turn in the quest, our reward is. . . . a few gil and ANOTHER FETCH QUEST

Good job Square-Enix, you made a world-class RPG and proved you can hang with Bioware, Bethesda, CDPR, etc. Please, please don't make this the model for your future JRPGs.

Not saying I dislike XV. I'm just done with this formula from now on.

Dimmle

Just want to say, I think FF XV is the last open-world RPG for me. I can't take anymore of this:

- walk into a town, talk to some zany-looking NPC who takes about 5 seconds before they ask you to do some chore
- nevermind that your father just got murdered and your kingdom conquered, let's go do some dumb shit like drive 3 miles to buy tomatoes for this guy we just met
- okay time to turn in the quest, our reward is. . . . a few gil and ANOTHER FETCH QUEST

Good job Square-Enix, you made a world-class RPG and proved you can hang with Bioware, Bethesda, CDPR, etc. Please, please don't make this the model for your future JRPGs.

agreedo, I love FFXV but do not want this to be the template that FF adopts going forward

Here's the thing: I agree with your sentiment. I am inclined to accept the repetitiveness of it and, hell, even enjoy it, because when i think to the alternative, what we've been doing for years on end with jrpgs, and that is grinding for random battles on a map somewhere, I cringe. Here, at least said grind is framed around an objective and I feel there is enough variety in side quests to keep me going. This is why I personally feel this is the best Final Fantasy game because I could never fucking wrap my around running in circles on a map waiting for random battles to level up my characters.

While I agree that XV does a better job of side quests (or at least, no worse) than what we've typically gotten with JRPGs over the years, it's difficult to go from playing something like Witcher 3 where the side stories are actually interesting and teach you things about the world around you to what we end up with here.

Gbraga

I'm soo over leveled....at ch.6 and I'm already in my mid 40's, the story missions are around level 25...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From what people said about the later chapters,
there's a point where the game puts a bunch of high level monsters in the main story, but you can just run away from them. I assume they're there exactly to provide some fun challenge to overleveled folks. So we can still have some fun!

TIL that equipping a Royal Arm blocks all bullets automatically just like in the original Versus XIII trailer.

Really? Even without Armiger? Does it require you to have armiger at least available? That's pretty cool.

Finally a reason to use these boring ass weapons instead of just equipping them for the stats.

Ferr986

I really want to get one of the big ones that everyone has to get in the water to catch. That must be fun!

It probably goes from a surprisingly fun minigame to a nightmare if someone's trying to complete their catalogue. I don't really care about that, I just fish for fun. Don't mind it at all if I spend all night catching the same fish over and over again.

That one is from the last quest from the fisherman guy. he has a lot of stamina, it takes easily +10 mins to fish him.

And the Prompto pic of everyone in the water holding it it's a nice bonus for the roadtrip album :p

Just ignore fetch quests and go straight for the story only.

Mediking

W3 does the exact same thing. Heavy stuff is going on yet some of the side quests are incredibly "normal". Almost every RPG/JRPG does this. What's the problem????

Jennipeg

agreedo, I love FFXV but do not want this to be the template that FF adopts going forward

It's so nice to run into people like me, I said much the same on the last page. I'm really enjoying XV, but honestly I wouldn't be playing this type of game if it wasn't Final Fantasy. I'm done. I'll platinum this (because I have to) and then go into Last Guardian.

W3 does the exact same thing. Heavy stuff is going on yet some of the side quests are incredibly "normal". Almost every RPG/JRPG does this. What's the problem????

We're just tired.

Gbraga

I actually think Bethesda has some pretty good quest design. Like, actual quest design, not just exposition to go with the fetch quest. I don't agree with the hate on that specific aspect.

Skyrim with stuff like Dark Brotherhood and the Companions questline is far more interesting than Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV.

FFXV has a far more interesting open world, though, and Witcher 3 is much better at contextualizing its quests and just writing in general.

Funnily enough, between the two, FFXV is a better game when it comes to making preparation a vital part of the gameplay loop, while Witcher 3 is a better game when it comes to being a story-driven journey.

That's all just in my opinion, of course.

That one is from the last quest from the fisherman guy. he has a lot of stamina, it takes easily +10 mins to fish him.

And the Prompto pic of everyone in the water holding it it's a nice bonus for the roadtrip album :p

I NEED IT! D:

You still have to hold block though, but at least it doesn't use Mana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDIxIcU0fk8

This is so cool!!! TT_TT

Gbraga

I love Witcher III so much to the point I cane xcuse the faults it has, but this wasnt always true. The base game had so much running around fetch quests. A lot of them did take you to new territory, but once you got familiar with said territories, you were still picking up fetch quests in them.

It got MUCH better with each subsequent DLC, I felt. Blood and Wine is still in my top3 for the year.

I can't wait to play the DLCs. Still haven't :C

shark sandwich

I miss the days when you spent most of your time doing stuff that was important and relevant to your main mission. And the diversions away from your mission usually had meaty plot, character, and world development embedded in them. Not just doing errands for people so you can get rewards later. That's more like a job than a game.

It's annoying, immersion-breaking, and almost stressful when every time you reach a new outpost you get saddled with a bunch of pointless chores for lazy assholes who stand around all day.

Mediking

It's so nice to run into people like me, I said much the same on the last page. I'm really enjoying XV, but honestly I wouldn't be playing this type of game if it wasn't Final Fantasy. I'm done. I'll platinum this (because I have to) and then go into Last Guardian.

We're just tired.

Literally almost every RPG/JRPG does that thing a having a heavy story yet you'll be doing super normal side quests that don't match up with the immediacy of the main story. Noctis' head hurts yet here I am still doing side quests.

Hell, if you keep doing side quests for certain people... not only do you get the basic rewards... but sometimes you can cheaper prices on items! Something I've grown to appreciate it greatly. I can actually afford stuff in Lestalum and other things thanks to doing side quests.

I don't know why but they are so oddly addicting to me.

The only thing that's REALLY suffering is the story. I don't really feel any push or urge to continue the story BECAUSE I'm having so much fun with side quests and the combat. When a story scene actually triggers... my interest is grabbed but then I'm back to side quests.

I miss the days when you spent most of your time doing stuff that was important and relevant to your main mission. And the diversions away from your mission usually had meaty plot, character, and world development embedded in them. Not just doing errands for people so you can get rewards later. That's more like a job than a game.

It's annoying, immersion-breaking, and almost stressful when every time you reach a new outpost you get saddled with a bunch of pointless chores for lazy assholes who stand around all day.

I'm not trying to challenge you but please name some games that describe what you're saying. Errands are pretty much a staple in a any RPG or JRPG. It just happens. Witcher 3 is amazing and it does it. There's really cool side quests then there's your super normal fetch quests. Mass Effect: Andromeda will have it. So will Zelda. Now sometimes it's much more blatant and obvious how much of an errand guy you are in certain games. And yeah... that can be annoying.

Can you buy the FFXV soundtrack for your car / portable music player? I'd love to take some of the slower-paced tracks and have them play constantly during exploration.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

I'm like you as well. I think I'm just gonna put it down, read the spoilers/watch the videos and move on with my backlog.

jb1234

They could be much better written, for sure. And more varied in their goals. I couldn't stop doing them, perhaps because I don't generally play open world games and haven't gotten burnt out yet.

Can you buy the FFXV soundtrack for your car / portable music player? I'd love to take some of the slower-paced tracks and have them play constantly during exploration.

Nope.

Last night there was this great part where a couple red giants spawned on the road at the same time as imperial troops came in from the sky.

I stepped outside the fight arena and they went at it for a while. I was hoping they would nearly kill each other before I step in and reaped the rewards but it became day and the red giants disappeared.

DPtheGod

Have another question in chapter 8.
I am doing the quest where I have to find the fireflies, and I beat the boss in the dungeon and I got the shuriken. Where the hell are the fireflies? Do I have to wait til night time?

shark sandwich

Literally almost every RPG/JRPG does that thing a having a heavy story yet you'll be doing super normal side quests that don't match up with the immediacy of the main story. Noctis' head hurts yet here I am still doing side quests.

Is FF XV your first Final Fantasy game or your first JRPG? XV is a huge departure for the main series. I don't get how you could possibly think this formula is just the standard for JRPGs.

Oooh dude, that fucking sucks. :/

Never had that issue, all my videos have always been 15 mins.

I hope the next patch adds some sort of Boss Rush mode. That would be the tits.
Imagine if we got a full monstee creator for the MP stuff. Throwing 10 lvl 59 Coeurls at you and your friends before sending a Tonberry on them~

BadHand

What's people opinions on the season pass? I see stuff like "Booster Pack and Holiday Pack", any clue on what this stuff actually is?

Normally I don't buy season passes but I have that 20% off coupon which I'm using today and wondering if I should throw this in too.

RDreamer

I hope the gameplay stays. I really digging it especially the wait mode.

I don't mind the gameplay, but it's absolutely not what I want out of the Final Fantasy series. If they continue down this road they better have a full gambit system. The reason I've been an FF fan so much all these years and not a Tales fan is because I like controlling my entire party not just 1 of 4.

jb1234

I recognize too that on any other day, a lot of this would piss me off and yet i find this to be not only my goty, but one of the best experiences ive had this gen so far. a lot of this hinges on how it was executed and the characters and story played out. this is a subjective thing though so if you're not feeling the world, exploring it and the characters, you're then left with parts of a game you're not happy with rather than an appreciate of the sum of it all.

and to think 3 weeks ago i wasnt even hyped for it nor gave two cents about it.

I had some serious issues with the game but not enough to stop me from binging it in four days. And I've played over ten hours since beating it as well. It just has that "can't stop playing" quality to it.

ghibli99

Gamekult.com - 6/10

"While the game is short..."

Literally imbeciles.
The main questline *is* really short if you're just playing it for the story and you give zero shits about most hunts, sidequests, NG+, and other distractions. You could argue that that's not how the game is meant to be played, but there's probably a decent percentage of people who will... on easy.

Carbonox

I'll be disappointed permanently if Final Fantasy doesn't maintain an open world and build upon the real-time action (I love the combat in this but more options and extending to other characters would be nice). To me these two aspects are imperative. They can do whatever the fuck else they want though moving forward.

Anywho, I'm currently going through Chapter 13 and it DOESNT FUCKING END GOD WHY.

At first I was like uh I can deal with this, it's an interesting idea so I'll allow it. Now I'm fed up. :lol

Lynx_7

I actually think Bethesda has some pretty good quest design. Like, actual quest design, not just exposition to go with the fetch quest. I don't agree with the hate on that specific aspect.

Skyrim with stuff like Dark Brotherhood and the Companions questline is far more interesting than Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV.

They have a few standouts, for sure. I remember a quest on Oblivion that locked you up in a house with a bunch of strangers and you had to kill them one by one without letting them figure it out. It was a pretty cool concept but the design itself was nothing to write home about (iirc you could be really obvious with your kills and they still wouldn't figure out it was you who did it).

XV does have a few well designed side quests, like the Dead Eye hunt, but they're a minority. Still, I guess I can't complain much when the locations with actual design put into them (like the Rock of Ravatough) and the dungeons are so well done, and most of those are optional content too. What they're lacking is precisely contextualization.

joesmokey

Finally finished it. Took me
29 hours at Level 39.

Overall I'd say things came together more nicely than they should have.

Can't wait for the real part of the game with the dungeon hunting.

iHaunter

The main questline *is* really short if you're just playing it for the story and you give zero shits about most hunts, sidequests, NG+, and other distractions. You could argue that that's not how the game is meant to be played, but there's probably a decent percentage of people who will... on easy.

Yes but in order to beat the later bosses, even in the story, you need to be higher level.

I think a game should be judged by everything it has to offer.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
How far are you? You can plow through the main quest very quickly if you want to.

Chapter 5. I tried to love this game, Ive spent over 20 hours so far but the gameplay/battle system is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's good for what it is, it's just not my cup of tea.

Wagram

Damn the optional base was fun. I wasn't over leveled for it and it was an onslaught. This game is such a roller-coaster of good and bad. ;;

jennetics

When Prompto takes a picture of the missing Chocobo and is asked whether he kept a picture for himself, when he says, "Dude...it's me..."? I thought that was hilarious in Japanese.

Watched it again online with the English dub and...idk it wasn't as funny.

Something about Japanese inflections and over-excitement always makes me laugh.

shark sandwich

IMO the battle system is one area where Square-Enix has consistently tried something new and fun with every game in the series. I can honestly say I've enjoyed every FF game's battle system for what it is.

rataven

What makes this particular open-world and its side quests frustrating is that virtually everything is so incongruous with the life and story of the main four party members.

There's room for side-quests and some branching story paths in FF, but they need to tie into what we care about, namely the four bros. Like a quest to explore where Ignis got his love of cooking, or dig deeper into Gladio's family life, or begin a game-long side quest for Prompto to find true love, something along those lines. Those are side quests I'd care about. Not finding the 8th screaming guy behind a rock who needs a potion.

I'm not sure an open-world concept is wrong for Final Fantasy, but they need to find a way to make it work with everything that is already right for FF (characters, characters, characters, and story too)

muteki

I do think this is the one action RPG system that has grabbed me the most. More character role customization, active player character swapping, and gambit-style commands on top of what we have and I think I'd be really into it.

Still would take turn based over it in a heartbeat, but if it has to be real time this isn't that bad.

Omg, I gotta find Ciri or the world will end. But you know what? I'll just sit down and play Gwent with a random stranger.

Every open world is like this.

Top Bottom